New Dragon Ball Film - Coming December 2018!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.



Galan007
Since there wasn't a proper thread made for this yet...


Most are already aware, but Shueisha has announced the production of a new Dragon Ball theatrical film scheduled for a "super-wide" national release in Japan in December 2018. This movie will be the 20th produced for the franchise, with the first movie premiering over 30 years ago in December 1986.

http://i.imgur.com/Uek3CuWl.jpg


As with the 2015 movie Resurrection 'F', original author Akira Toriyama developed the movie's story and concept, as well as writing the its script and providing character designs. While movies of the past have centered around specific enemies, this film's theme will center around "the universe's mightiest warrior race, the Saiyans". It is very likely that much, if not all, of the information provided by Akira Toriyama in his recent "Saiyan Special Q&A" in the January 2018 issue of Saikyo Jump was taken from the story development for this new movie.

*The new information/retcons from Toriyama's aforementioned interview can be found here:
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f74/t648209.html


Here is the upcoming film's complete announcement, from "Jump Festa 2018":
http://i.imgur.com/DvcbZH7l.jpg



All info, and/or thoughts related to the film can be posted here... Personally, I am looking forward to the background of Saiyans(namely their heritage and genealogy) being explored far more in depth.

TethAdamTheRock
Is this anime or real life?

Galan007
none

...It's anime.

Ridley_Prime
Bojack was a beloved character? News to me. stick out tongue

I guess Yamoshi will be kinda like the Bardock of DB Super...

Galan007
That's what I'm hoping for, tbh. thumb up

Though I do wonder if they'll stick to Yamoshi having a similar appearance to Vegeta, like we saw in Shenron's retelling of the first Super Saiyan God in BoG..?

Bentley
I lol'd at the Bojack comment.

Galan007
I guess Bojack might be more 'beloved' than, like, Lord Slug or Bio-Broly... But that's about it. ermmnone

StiltmanFTW
So... this new film will also be retold in Super, boring us to death?

Galan007
If DBS is still going strong in another year+, I would imagine Toei will do a 'TV Special' or somesuch.

Galan007
The official website for the upcoming Dragon Ball theatrical film has been updated with the film's key staff, a new visual of Goku, and its Japanese release date: December 14 2018.

https://i.imgur.com/r3aVxOs.png
https://i.imgur.com/YiBMq3R.png

-Original Author, Script, & Character Design: Akira Toriyama
-Director: Tatsuya Nagamine
-Animation Supervisor: Naohiro Shintani
-Art Director: Kazuo Ogura

Nagamine previously served as one of the series directors during Dragon Ball Super's "Universe Survival arc". Shintani previously worked on key animation during the 2008 Jump Super Anime Tour special. Ogura previously worked on backgrounds for 2013's theatrical film Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods.


Toriyama also released the following statement:

http://i.imgur.com/vqmPElCl.jpg


*So this film is going to be a continuation of DBS -- essentially the next chapter in the story.

*It's also worth pointing out that the DBS manga will continue as-is -- there are currently NO plans for it to end. Aside from what Toriyama stated above, Toyotaro reiterated it on Twitter:

https://i.imgur.com/BEPnO9R.jpg

Estacado
Originally posted by Galan007
The official website for the upcoming Dragon Ball theatrical film has been

https://i.imgur.com/r3aVxOs.png
https://i.imgur.com/YiBMq3R.png



Da phuck is that art?haermm

I mean Goku looks like he has down syndrome....

vansonbee
Since this movie is a continuation from super, I suspect a little glimpses in the next arc. The art from Z to super is sure shitty, now this movie poster of Goku takes the next final step. Almost as bad as Sun/Moon Pokemon.

Galan007
Originally posted by Estacado
Da phuck is that art?haermm

I mean Goku looks like he has down syndrome.... The more pressing question for me is why DBS Goku has the Power Pole..?

...Surprised the artwork doesn't also have him floating around on the Flying Nimbus. ermm

Originally posted by vansonbee
Since this movie is a continuation from super, I suspect a little glimpses in the next arc. DBS is going on an extended hiatus in a few weeks. At this point the best glimpses we're going to get into this film are Japanese solicits and previews.

SSJGGogeta
Damn wouldn't it be cool if they went really in-depth about some of the Saiyan's history, biology, culture, and other aspects of the Saiyan's we've never really had explored before? That would be awesome, and I hope we get a lot of explanations to things like those S-cells or whatever, the Legendary Super Saiyan, how some Saiyan's manage to breath in outer space, why Saiyan's hair style stays the same from the day they're born, why they all have black hair/black eyes, and lot's of other things like that which have gone under-explained for so long in DB.

Probably won't happen, but it'd be cool to see things like that.

Originally posted by Galan007
The more pressing question for me is why DBS Goku has the Power Pole..?

...Surprised the artwork doesn't also have him floating around on the Flying Nimbus. ermm

Tbh, that'd be pretty cool imo if Goku starts using the Power Pole again. Maybe it can't break because it's magical, or something..? That was one of the things I was always really sad they got rid of. I thought the power pole was badass, honestly. It sent boss Rabbit to the moon in like a second, lmao. Plus it's cut swords in half despite being round, blocked machine gunfire, etc. The magic on that thing is honestly pretty impressive, and I'd like to have some of that elaborated on as well. Maybe even a return of it, as well as an explanation as to why it could still be useful in battle- that'd be pretty dope IMO.

Galan007
^ This movie is supposed to get pretty crazy with Saiyan genealogy. It will also depict the first SSJ/SSG ever: Yamoshi...

http://i.imgur.com/ijAenGal.jpg




-Source

Estacado
I'm getting a Broly kind of vibe from this....

o4RwsoMN4qU

Philosophía
This is midichlorians all over again.

Damborgson
That's retarded and im going to ignore the mere mention of S-cells.

Yamcha
I know it's a Saiyan but it really looks like Goku is fighting Sun Wukong. I'm digging that animation though.

Galan007
Originally posted by Estacado
I'm getting a Broly kind of vibe from this....

o4RwsoMN4qU Yeesh... I hope that animation is sharpened up quite a bit before the film drops. ermm

I figured the whole "a Saiyan has no limits" concept would be pivotal in this film, though. Should be...interesting, to say the least.

Galan007
Originally posted by Phil
This is midichlorians all over again. The next reveal...

https://i.imgur.com/vfJEjb3.jpg

Galan007
Next page bump...
Originally posted by Estacado
I'm getting a Broly kind of vibe from this....

o4RwsoMN4qU

One Big Mob
Why did they even need to add "S-cells" lol? Nobody ****ing cares about why only some could do it. Literally all you need to do is maintain that "Pure" heart angle and it's good enough. Jesus, I can't imagine anyone wanted this reveal.

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/dbzpureevil_7244.png

Estacado
My saiyan back is tingling......

"S-Cells are essential to becoming a Super Saiyan, when a Saiyan has gained enough they can transform by feeling intense levels of anger or sadness; alternatively (as demonstrated by Caulifla), by focusing their power into a tingling sensation in their upper-back (directly below their neck)"

Sj_Sharp
Originally posted by Estacado
I'm getting a Broly kind of vibe from this....

o4RwsoMN4qU

By seeing this preview, the desire of a movie with less powerful villains and a less powerful Goku is strong for me.
As cool as MUI Goku, Jiren, the GoDs and the Angels are, we really approached the ceiling of battle power with the last arc of Super: I mean, MUI Goku at this point is probably the strongest non-Angel being in the Multiverse, surpassing even the Gods of Destruction.
Sure, he is cool as hell and it was perfect to have the ultimate Goku for the DBS gran finale, but now I would like to see few steps back in power: this Goku reminds me of his saiyan-Namek saga counterpart, before achieving Ssj and I would love to see a less OP fight liked we were used to at the beginning of Z (i.e. Slug, or Turles).

One Big Mob
Originally posted by Sj_Sharp
By seeing this preview, the desire of a movie with less powerful villains and a less powerful Goku is strong for me.
As cool as MUI Goku, Jiren, the GoDs and the Angels are, we really approached the ceiling of battle power with the last arc of Super: I mean, MUI Goku at this point is probably the strongest non-Angel being in the Multiverse, surpassing even the Gods of Destruction.
Sure, he is cool as hell and it was perfect to have the ultimate Goku for the DBS gran finale, but now I would like to see few steps back in power: this Goku reminds me of his saiyan-Namek saga counterpart, before achieving Ssj and I would love to see a less OP fight liked we were used to at the beginning of Z (i.e. Slug, or Turles). I thought this Goku was supposed to be after ToP? And if that being is indeed the original Super Saiyan God, then it is still decent enough levels. Especially with the tagline of "A Saiyan has no limits Sj Sharp".

Though Goku shouldn't even have to go Blue at this state, but we'll see.

Sj_Sharp
Originally posted by One Big Mob
I thought this Goku was supposed to be after ToP? And if that being is indeed the original Super Saiyan God, then it is still decent enough levels. Especially with the tagline of "A Saiyan has no limits Sj Sharp".

Though Goku shouldn't even have to go Blue at this state, but we'll see.

Yeah, it is post DBS.
It just something that I thought after seeing Goku with the power pole first, and then with the good, old BoZ belt.

MrMind
they better make super saiyan god look like ssj4 on steroids

Yamcha
The more I watch the teaser the more I really think if that's Yamoshi then his SSG form essentially turns him into a version of Sun Wukong. I know Broly isn't canon but think of how his Legendary form was different from the Super Saiyan we were used to, it could be this ancient SSG form is different than the one we know of.

DB in general was a nod to Journey to the West, and the wrap around this mysterious opponents waist looks a lot like the one in the JttW outfit, also it seems parts of him are covered in fur. It could be why Goku is bringing out the Power Pole after all these years, maybe Yamoshi has something similar, just like in the legend? I'm not crazy familiar with the tale but didn't Wukong rebel against the Gods? We know Yamoshi rebelled against the evil Saiyans, so it does have me curious.


Idk just a bunch of speculation atm, but it's fun having something new and DB related to look forward to lol.

bbrem123
Unless it is "The" god of all saiyans.

Or the Apocalypse of saiyans or something.

Yamcha
Originally posted by bbrem123
Unless it is "The" god of all saiyans. thumb up Heck it could be both, what better God for a bunch of "monkeys" than the Monkey King himself y'know?

Galan007
It's funny seeing the theoretical plotlines people on the interwebz are already coming up with based on that 30 second trailer, lol. thumb up


All we know about the film so far is:
-It will be a continuation of DBS -- the next chapter in the story.
-It will tell the story of the first SSJ/SSG: Yamoshi.
-It will expand upon Saiyan genealogy/powersets by introducing the concept of 'S-Cells'.

...And hell, the last episode of DBS hasn't even been released yet. We don't even know if these massively haxx powers gleaned during the ToP are going to stick once all is said and done and the wish is made. evil face

One Big Mob
If they're still continuing on with how important SSG is or how it is in the past, I have my doubts we'll get a reboot.

Galan007
They could just undo the ToP. Goku and Vegeta would still retain their God-powers, but the asininely haxx powerups/zenkais that led up to ASSB and MUI, for example, would be gone.

...I doubt that will happen, but I'd be totally fine if it did. Hell, even a complete reboot would work for me at this point, tbh.

One Big Mob
I wish I could reboot all your posts in this thread

Galan007
I wish I could reboot your face with my fist. thumb up

One Big Mob
If I had one wish in life, I would reboot your whole life and become your father so I could mold you into becoming just like Carver9.

Galan007
http://www.deglingo.com/gif/2018-02/ben-stiller-touche.gif

Galan007
Originally posted by Estacado
My saiyan back is tingling......

"S-Cells are essential to becoming a Super Saiyan, when a Saiyan has gained enough they can transform by feeling intense levels of anger or sadness; alternatively (as demonstrated by Caulifla), by focusing their power into a tingling sensation in their upper-back (directly below their neck)" Well yeah... That's why the the energy shot out of Goku's back when he experienced the MUI backlash last episode:
http://i.imgur.com/vz5ACA1l.jpg

shifty

Estacado
Sorry brah but your DB Super knowledge is clearly incomplete.

Those are the U cells backfiring every DB Super Pro knows to attain Ultra Instict you need to have U cells....uhuh

Galan007
So given that as of ep.131, Goku still cannot consciously activate UI...or control it on *any* level, for that matter... The 'big bad' in this film will likely be well below Jiren-level.

...Which I am totally fine with. thumb up

AuraAngel
Considering the wish was to bring back all of the erased universes we could potentially see more violent GoD or even maybe a bad Angel from the 6 universes erased prior to the series.

Galan007
thumb up

The wish was left ambiguous enough that universes 13-18 could have indeed been resurrected along with the rest... And who knows what type of power(and potential evil) they held.

cdtm
I bet Goku never does UI again.

Even if he dies.

cdtm
Originally posted by Galan007
So given that as of ep.131, Goku still cannot consciously activate UI...or control it on *any* level, for that matter... The 'big bad' in this film will likely be well below Jiren-level.

...Which I am totally fine with. thumb up

The next logical step is Jiren level + MUi. thumb up

Goku needed an amp technically anyone can reach just to keep up with his natural power. Imagine Jiren with an amp.

Sj_Sharp
Originally posted by Galan007
So given that as of ep.131, Goku still cannot consciously activate UI...or control it on *any* level, for that matter... The 'big bad' in this film will likely be well below Jiren-level.

...Which I am totally fine with. thumb up

Agreed thumb up

UI Omen Goku himself must remain one of a kind, let alone MUI Goku.

Originally posted by AuraAngel
Considering the wish was to bring back all of the erased universes we could potentially see more violent GoD or even maybe a bad Angel from the 6 universes erased prior to the series.

Just against an evil Hakaishin or even an evil angel I could see MUI Goku coming back. For everything else, to me he would be unnecessary and wasted.

bbrem123
Originally posted by cdtm
The next logical step is Jiren level + MUi. thumb up

Goku needed an amp technically anyone can reach just to keep up with his natural power. Imagine Jiren with an amp. Yea. DBS doesnt need to bring back MUI until the heroes start to approach GoD level with raw power.

I mean hell. At this rate I wouldn't be suprised if saiyans are said to have infinite power. With their only restriction being able actually harnessing that power.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.