Deadliest fire in NYC in 25 years claims 12 victims

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Surtur
12 people dead including at least 4 children after a fire in a Bronx apartment building:

Fatal NYC fire started by 3-year-old playing with stove, official says

"A 3-year-old boy's screams alerted his mother that a fire had erupted in their first-floor apartment in the Bronx on Thursday night. The boy had been playing with the burners on the kitchen stove, New York fire officials said Friday.
When the mother fled the burning apartment with the boy and his 2-year-old sibling, she made a fatal mistake -- she left the apartment door open.
The tragic result was the deaths of at least 12 people, including at least four children, the New York Police Department said."

The child apparently had a history of turning on burners,etc.

ArtificialGlory
The kiddo liked fire...

cdtm
Why didn't the fire alarms go off? Did the landlord keep them up?

Flyattractor
Can we just go ahead and blame this on how Climate Change is affecting the poor and other such nonsense?

shiv
Tragic

always wondered why my aunt switched off all her appliances (with the exception of the refrigerator) every single time she used them

I know why now

Flyattractor
Probably did it cause YOU were in the house.

Surtur
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Can we just go ahead and blame this on how Climate Change is affecting the poor and other such nonsense?

Nah, I'm blaming the dumb mother who left a kid unsupervised with a history of doing this shit. This is on her.

A freak one time occurrence is one thing, but this kid had a history of doing this shit.

shiv
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Probably did it cause YOU were in the house.

Dude

I was 18

My cousin tho

shiv
... though this one time a female terran did chase me out the kitchen (and chase me all around the garden) for lifting the lid off some steel construct to see whats cookin

dadudemon
Originally posted by Surtur
12 people dead including at least 4 children after a fire in a Bronx apartment building:

Fatal NYC fire started by 3-year-old playing with stove, official says

"A 3-year-old boy's screams alerted his mother that a fire had erupted in their first-floor apartment in the Bronx on Thursday night. The boy had been playing with the burners on the kitchen stove, New York fire officials said Friday.
When the mother fled the burning apartment with the boy and his 2-year-old sibling, she made a fatal mistake -- she left the apartment door open.
The tragic result was the deaths of at least 12 people, including at least four children, the New York Police Department said."

The child apparently had a history of turning on burners,etc.

Why is it a mistake that she fled the apartment with her children when a fire was happening?

Leaving the door open isn't a mistake. I don't like the author of that article. no expression

Surtur
Originally posted by dadudemon
Why is it a mistake that she fled the apartment with her children when a fire was happening?

Leaving the door open isn't a mistake. I don't like the author of that article. no expression

I believe it's because it allowed the fire to spread? I dunno.

dadudemon
I believe it's because it allowed the fire to spread? I dunno.

Of course that allowed the fire to spread more quickly. Which may have prevented one or more deaths because it would give more time for them to escape.

But that's hardly a mistake. Not everyone is a fire expert.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by shiv
... though this one time a female terran did chase me out the kitchen (and chase me all around the garden) for lifting the lid off some steel construct to see whats cookin
What?

Surtur
Of course that allowed the fire to spread more quickly. Which may have prevented one or more deaths because it would give more time for them to escape.

But that's hardly a mistake. Not everyone is a fire expert.

I would say the mistake was leaving a child with a history of doing this shit alone lol.

Surtur
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
What?

A female terran(aka, a person from earth) got mad when she was cooking and he lifted the lid on the pot to see what it was.

dadudemon
I would say the mistake was leaving a child with a history of doing this shit alone lol.

The boy wasn't alone. He was with his mother. And his mother responded to him when he started screaming.

No problems, here.

The expectation that a parent has to have eyes on their small children, 24/7, is absurd. It's not possible.

This is just a very shitty accident.

Surtur
The boy wasn't alone. He was with his mother. And his mother responded to him when he started screaming.

No problems, here.

The expectation that a parent has to have eyes on their small children, 24/7, is absurd. It's not possible.

I disagree. He had a history of doing this, so yup, you keep an eye on him. You don't have him alone in another room if he has a history of this shit.

dadudemon
I disagree. He had a history of doing this, so yup, you keep an eye on him. You don't have him alone in another room if he has a history of this shit.

No, he didn't have a history of doing this. Unless this is the second time he's burned down an apartment complex?

If a history, you mean he plays with things he's curious about, no, that's not a history, that's being a child.

Surtur
No, he didn't have a history of doing this. Unless this is the second time he's burned down an apartment complex?

If a history, you mean he plays with things he's curious about, no, that's not a history, that's being a child.

Lol dude, he had a history of playing with burners.

dadudemon
Lol dude, he had a history of playing with burners.

Surtur
Okay it is burners. If it was curiosity there would be a variety of shit. But it was burners.

LordofBrooklyn

No problems, here.

Why is monitoring a young child properly an absurd notion?

Surtur
Originally posted by LordofBrooklyn

My thing is he had a history of this. No, not a history of just in general getting into shit, but specifically playing with burners.

dadudemon
Originally posted by LordofBrooklyn

A you familiar with the concept of a strawman?

Look at what I said.

Look at what you said.

Did you address what I said?

No. You didn't. You responded to something no one posted but quoted me.

Shame.

https://i.imgur.com/4Jqt5Sa.gif

dadudemon
Okay it is burners. If it was curiosity there would be a variety of shit. But it was burners.

So he only ever played with burner knobs, is that right? All the time? Never stopped?

Right? This is your point?

Surtur
So he only ever played with burner knobs, is that right? All the time? Never stopped?

Right? This is your point?

Dude...lol, I just go by what got reported. The report was he had a history of playing with burners. If he had a history of playing with toys that isn't alarming. The burners are.

dadudemon
Dude...lol, I just go by what got reported. The report was he had a history of playing with burners. If he had a history of playing with toys that isn't alarming. The burners are.

And how many times did that result in a fire before this fire?

I know you live in luxury so you may not be familiar with things like burners. But even the ones from the 50s were "child proof" as in, you have to push them in before you can rotate the knobs to ignite the burners.

ArtificialGlory
A female terran(aka, a person from earth) got mad when she was cooking and he lifted the lid on the pot to see what it was.
Oh yeah, makes sense now.

Surtur
And how many times did that result in a fire before this fire?

I know you live in luxury so you may not be familiar with things like burners. But even the ones from the 50s were "child proof" as in, you have to push them in before you can rotate the knobs to ignite the burners.

I don't even know what to say here lol. I use a stove all the time. Come on bro. I'm just pointing out what the story said. No, he obviously didn't have a history of burning shit down, but yes playing with burners.

dadudemon
I don't even know what to say here lol. I use a stove all the time. Come on bro. I'm just pointing out what the story said. No, he obviously didn't have a history of burning shit down, but yes playing with burners.

Great. So you agree with me that it is not possible to watch small children 24/7 and that this was clearly an accident?

Surtur
Great. So you agree with me that it is not possible to watch small children 24/7 and that this was clearly an accident?

It was an accident, the kid didn't do it on purpose. I do wonder if steps could have been taken to prevent this, given his history of playing with burners.

dadudemon
It was an accident, the kid didn't do it on purpose. I do wonder if steps could have been taken to prevent this, given his history of playing with burners.

Hooray! Look at this! We came to an agreement. A middle ground.

WEEEEE!

shiv
A two year old

And

A three year old

At the same time

Is Too Much To Handle For 1 Person 24/7

https://childrensmd.org/browse-by-age-group/toddler-pre-school/15-tips-survive-terrible-3s/

https://www.todaysparent.com/family/parenting/the-terrible-twos-vs-the-terrible-threes/

A LOT of people struggle with parenting with kids that age.

dadudemon
Originally posted by shiv
A two year old

And

A three year old

At the same time

Is Too Much To Handle For 1 Person 24/7

https://childrensmd.org/browse-by-age-group/toddler-pre-school/15-tips-survive-terrible-3s/

https://www.todaysparent.com/family/parenting/the-terrible-twos-vs-the-terrible-threes/

A LOT of people struggle with parenting with kids that age.

6. Touch your 3-year-old, many time per day:

https://i.imgur.com/kAdLJ8b.gif

JK, JK, they could have worded that much much better. "Give your 3-year-old child lots of affection throughout the day."

Surtur
Hooray! Look at this! We came to an agreement. A middle ground.

WEEEEE!

Lol...we've agreed plenty of times, you act like it is rare.

LordofBrooklyn
A you familiar with the concept of a strawman?

Look at what I said.

Look at what you said.

Did you address what I said?

No. You didn't. You responded to something no one posted but quoted me.

Shame.

https://i.imgur.com/4Jqt5Sa.gif

You are the one who contended that 24/7 supervision was an absurd standard to apply to parents. I responded EXPLICITLY to thst reality.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.