Protests in Iran

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Surtur
What do people here think about what is going on now in Iran? The last number I heard was 15 people dead over these protests.

I can't say I blame them for protesting, and Trump has tweeted his support for the protesters.

BackFire
Protesting authoritarian governments is always a good thing and needs to happen more often.

Hopefully they can bring about peaceful change, if not, a violent overthrow is probably long overdue.

Surtur
Originally posted by BackFire
Protesting authoritarian governments is always a good thing and needs to happen more often.

Hopefully they can bring about peaceful change, if not, a violent overthrow is probably long overdue.

What is your opinion on tweets from places like the NYT, like this one about it:

"Iranian authorities have clamped down on Tehran after demonstrators across the country ignored calls for calm"

IMO this is disrespectful and makes light of the situation.

BackFire
Seems fine. What's wrong with that tweet? Is it incorrect?

Surtur
Seems fine. What's wrong with that tweet? Is it incorrect?

"Ignored calls for calm" is not how they described unrest after Trumps Jerusalem decision.

It almost gives the impression these are unreasonable people who don't want to cooperate with a reasonable government.

Surtur
Imagine for a second tomorrow a bunch of people protest Trump and a dozen or so are killed by the cops. Wouldn't there be a huge uproar? But we kinda just accept it in Iran.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/01/world/middleeast/iran-protests.html

"Many youths in larger cities enthusiastically voted for Mr. Rouhani when he was re-elected in May, raising expectations among many in the reform camp. But since then even many of the president’s supporters say he has failed to fulfill his promises for improving an economy sorely hobbled by years of sanctions, corruption and mismanagement.

Even the lifting of economic sanctions under Iran’s 2015 nuclear deal with large foreign powers including the United States has not unleashed the growth Mr. Rouhani had hoped for, as key sectors of the economy remain under the thumb of obscure powers, including religious foundations and the country’s Revolutionary Guards. There is mismanagement and widespread corruption in all levels of the state apparatus.

Beyond that, the United States has continued other sanctions, making it still harder for Mr. Rouhani to make gains."

In your opinion, what is being implied by that last sentence? Because I know what I think it is implying, I'm curious if others concluded the same.

BackFire
Well you're comparing America to Iran, it's not a very good comparison as expectations are different for each country. Of course there would be an uproar if protestors were murdered in America, as there should be. There also should be in Iran in this situation, and there is, just not to the degree that would happen in America.

As for that NYT piece, seems to just be making excuses for Rouhani's failures.

ArtificialGlory
I really just feel sorry for Iranian people.

Lord Lucien
They're just retarded lefties b*tching about how the government doesn't give them enough of my hard-earned Rials.

Surtur
Well you're comparing America to Iran, it's not a very good comparison as expectations are different for each country. Of course there would be an uproar if protestors were murdered in America, as there should be. There also should be in Iran in this situation, and there is, just not to the degree that would happen in America.

As for that NYT piece, seems to just be making excuses for Rouhani's failures.

Indeed, the NYT thing makes me sick, and they should not be compared and yet we have had people in this country comparing the people here who whine about Trump to these people protesting in Iran lol.

Robtard
Oh my, what outrage.

Surtur
The AP tweets:

" Trump administration calls on #Iran to unblock Instagram, other social media amid protests "

Maggie Haberman of the NYT responds:

"The president often blocks individual people from seeing the @realDonaldTrump Twitter feed"

Lol...you can't make this stuff up.

Robtard
Trump has on multiple occasions made comments about blocking/silencing media outlets, so the AP should have just pointed out Trump's hypocrisy that way.

Surtur
Originally posted by Robtard
Trump has on multiple occasions made comments about blocking/silencing media outlets, so the AP should have just pointed out Trump's hypocrisy that way.

Except the AP wasn't the one saying it. The AP was merely talking about what the administration is saying about Iran, there was no other agenda of trying to pull a "but Trump" there. Then Maggie Haberman from the NYT responded with the glorious tweet about how Trump has blocked people on social media.

And this isn't her first blunder:

Maggie Haberman goes off the deep end

"Readers may recall this tweet from Haberman:

Other than San Bernardino shootings, has there been a terrorist attack involving a non-US-born attacker since 9/11?

Um, yes. The Boston bombers, Times Square bomber, underwear bomber, Ohio State attacker, Chattanooga shooter, & numerous plotters.

Haberman also peddled the canard that 17 intelligence agencies concurred in the post-election report on Russian meddling. The Times had to correct her claim."

Emperordmb
Also wtf

Trump is speaking as the most powerful and influential man in the world in favor of human rights in Iran, in support of the Iranian citizens... and the MSM is actively trying to undermine him... Like Trump is trying to actually speak out in support of these repressed citizens, and the media is so petty they can't help trying to undercut that effort becuz **** Trump

Surtur
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Also wtf

Trump is speaking as the most powerful and influential man in the world in favor of human rights in Iran, in support of the Iranian citizens... and the MSM is actively trying to undermine him... Like Trump is trying to actually speak out in support of these repressed citizens, and the media is so petty they can't help trying to undercut that effort becuz **** Trump

It's not hard to see why there is push back. It goes beyond just their sheer hatred and obsession with Trump, but also the fact that all roads in this discussion lead back to this question: What are these people protesting against? An oppressive Islamic Regime. It's the 3rd word in that sentence that is the problem.

Robtard
I see, so this thread is just another "but the media is evil!!1!". Should probably just made a thread called "The Media Is Bad" or similar and post all related there.

Surtur
I see, so this thread is just another "but the media is evil!!1!". Should probably just made a thread called "The Media Is Bad" or similar and post all related there.

The way the media is portraying this unfortunately is a part of this story. It would be nice if it wasn't, but oh well.

Surtur
And yeah:

Iran's Revolutionary Guards claim 'seditious' protests over

"The head of Iran's Revolutionary Guards claimed Wednesday that a string of anti-government protests are over, in an attempt to play down six days of unrest.
In comments to the semi-official Fars news agency, Mohammad Ali Jafari claimed that only 15,000 people had turned out at the height of the rallies and that the main "troublemakers" had since been arrested.
"Today, we can say it is the end of 'sedition 1396'," he said, using the year in the Iranian calendar.

"With the help of God, their defeat is definite," Jafari said. He gave no evidence of how the movement had been defeated beyond the arrests and his comments are being taken as a warning against more rallies."

For some reason I just don't trust what the IRG is saying lol.

D1ckSpl1tter
iran is on the downfall imo

Surtur
I admit I figure we'd see women here joining in solidarity with the women who are protesting, you know the type of women who attended the womens march.. I don't really hear a peep out of them. This is real rape culture, etc. though. Not sure where they are at.

Weird. Maybe I just missed their outrage.

Robtard
Originally posted by Surtur
I admit I figure we'd see women here joining in solidarity with the women who are protesting, you know the type of women who attended the womens march.. I don't really hear a peep out of them. This is real rape culture, etc. though. Not sure where they are at.

Weird. Maybe I just missed their outrage.

Did you get these new marching orders from TheBlaze, Fox or?

Surtur
Did you get these new marching orders from TheBlaze, Fox or?

I find it interesting this is all you could say.

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Also wtf

Uh... could you please be specific about when the media "undermined" Trump's effort to support the protestors?

Calling out a double standard, and reporting news isn't quite the same as opposing protesters. How about we don't take everything Surt says as true?

Surtur
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Uh... could you please be specific about when the media "undermined" Trump's effort to support the protestors?

Calling out a double standard, and reporting news isn't quite the same as opposing protesters. How about we don't take everything Surt says as true?

Where's the double standard? Name it.

Pessimystic
Bernie, Obama, Graham, McCain, Trump etc. are the ones supporting the protestors. That should alarm everyone.

Rouhani should blow up the US, I wouldn't give two wet farts.

Fox News Baby Boomers and Degenerate CNN Millennials are just as bad each other, it's time for a fresh start with a clean slate. No more USA.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Rockydonovang

Yes when Donald Trump, the most powerful man in the world voices support for the Iranian people and calls out the Iranian government, the media are a bunch of useful idiots that give the Iranian government an excuse to deflect.

For example, when Trump says that it's bullshit that the Iranian government is restricting their citizens access to social media, and some useful idiot in the media goes "Oh yeah, well Trump blocks people from his twitter!" that undermines his influence when what Trump is saying is actually good in this instance... aside from it being completely unwarranted since it's an extremely false equivalency.

I mean shit, the Progressive left's narrative that America is some deeply racist oppressive place that is being promulgated by these useful idiots from the MSM, to college professors who teach critical race theory, etc. is currently being exploited by Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei:
https://polination.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/screen-shot-2017-12-29-at-2_14_47-pm.png
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/12/30/2455BC5300000578-2891745-image-a-44_1419975814295.jpg

The MSM has long since abdicated it's ethical responsibility and committed themselves to doing everything they can to lash out at Trump, and normally it wouldn't be as big a deal, however this time it's different. With Iran the MSM is still doing whatever it can and stretching whatever it can (like saying Trump blocking people from his twitter is comparable to Iran blocking access to social media) to undercut the President's influence when the President is actually trying to use his influence in support of actual oppressed citizens, and the Iranian Supreme Leader is perfectly aware of the fact that he can exploit this narrative to deflect away from him oppressing his own people.

This is why I call these people useful idiots, because in their desperate and unceasing efforts to do whatever they can to shit on Donald Trump, they are inadvertently aiding a repressive regime in the middle east. If they had any shred of ethical responsibility they'd put their petty feud with Trump aside and stand with him in calling out Iran instead of trying to draw some equivalency between the Trump administration and Iran.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.