Professions with the most respect

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
Was thinking about something I read on how the lead dev of "I have no mouth and I must scream" got his next job. Basically, the guy who wrote the book liked working with him, and took him in front of a bunch of companies, telling everyone he was going to put his name in a hat and they would all draw lots. Whoever ended up with his name, that's where he'd work.

Pretty neat, but I wondered why these companies let this guy call the shots.

Best I could figure, because he was a successful film maker. What else could it be.. That he's a famous author? That he worked on one successful game?

So that's what I'm after here.. Opinions on careers that carry enough weight, where a guy can dominate the conversation in the room or give orders to complete strangers, and be fairly certain people will listen.

I know it's about more then money.. The guy who made Minecraft is richer then god, and he sure won't be telling companies who they're hiring (Unless he buys in as a shareholder..)

riv6672
In this day and age, football/basketball player, actor, rapper.

Bentley
KMC forums mod.

RHaggis
One would hope the doctors, businessmen/women, scientists and so on. However, as riv6672 stated, its most likely things like sports stars and other celebrities.

D1ckSpl1tter
Originally posted by Bentley
KMC forums mod.
dead

artists and skilled doctors/architects

Flyattractor
Originally posted by RHaggis
One would hope the doctors, businessmen/women, scientists and so on. However, as riv6672 stated, its most likely things like sports stars and other celebrities.

"Women" is a "Profession" now?

RHaggis
Originally posted by Flyattractor
"Women" is a "Profession" now?

I'm going to assume you're joking...

Steve Zodiac
Prostitute.

Flyattractor
I'm going to assume you're joking...

I NEVER JOKE!

Originally posted by Steve Zodiac
Prostitute.

The Oldest and the Bestest.

The Ellimist
Probably surgeons (a lot of people argue with doctors but very few with surgeons lmao).

Emperordmb
I'd say popular figures who are associated with counterculture movements or pinned against the media generally speaking have the most respect tbh

They get respect as competent intelligent individuals from their fans, attacks from media who are worried about their influence, and then their support doubles down from people appreciating their message and the position they're in.

For example the explosion in popularity for Dr. Jordan Peterson is one example, he stood up against a lot of resistance on a social issue currently posed to the west with them modern progressive agenda, but also spoke to how to be a virtuous and responsible human being and find meaning in life, and the support for him has been overwhelming. In his comment sections and videos I've seen countless comments talking about how his work has personally changed their lives, and quite frankly I am one of those people.

And then Ben Shapiro is another example of a similar figure who has spoken out against a lot of this stuff, and also argued his political positions to the extent that his podcast has a lot of viewership and he's become something of an icon in the political arena with a bevy of thug life and "he just owned this guy" videos popping up on YouTube.

Or even Pewdiepie for example, even though he's not really a political figure. He's a guy with a massive following on YouTube, and the media's just quite frankly ****ing absurd and ridiculous character attacks against him have only served to make him more popular, have people empathize with him more, and gotten people who previously disliked or dismissed his content in past years to actually take another look at him and find enjoyment in some of his new content.

And this can even be seen with Donald Trump, though he certainly gets a lot of negative flak to an even greater extent than probably anyone else discussed in public discourse. His conflict with the media and backlash against that has generated an enormous cult of personality around him (which I am not a part of).

Now whatever you think of some of these positions and figures is irrelevant to the fact that they have accrued quite a bit of respect to a very potent degree, and I think that speaks to the power of the alternative media (not alternative facts, but like the non-mainstream media, youtube, internet figures) and counterculture figures, that when people feel their voices or what they need to hear in their lives or their perspectives aren't really as accepted by the overarching culture and mainstream media these counterculture figures become more than people in a highly skilled job for which they are extremely competent, more than just entertainers, they become an actual voice that people can identify with, and I think that is a uniquely powerful form of respect that can be accrued to the individual even beyond a respect for high degrees of technical competency or enjoyment of entertainment.

Surtur
^^^Indeed, there is a lot of crap on youtube, but places like that have allowed the people who should be popular to be popular. The intellectuals, etc. These are figures we need people to look to. Not actors that live in a bubble.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Surtur
^^^Indeed, there is a lot of crap on youtube, but places like that have allowed the people who should be popular to be popular. The intellectuals, etc. These are figures we need people to look to. Not actors that live in a bubble.
This actually reinforces a revelation I had in October.

I took psilocybin mushrooms a week after I got rejected by this girl I was really into, (which all things considered I think I handled in an emotionally mature way, and just working up the guts to actually ask her out after 8 months of having a serious crush was a moment of character development and personal actualization for me) which reinforced my appreciation for the world around me, as well as reinforcing a sense of responsibility and agency in my life.

The next day I was meditating and praying asking who I was as a person, and the one word that popped into my head was "Genesis." So I thought back to the beginning of Genesis where God pulls order from chaos to create the universe through articulate speech, and then immediately afterwards creates humans in his image, and then immediately has Adam name all of the animals. And the notion that we are made in God's image juxtaposed immediately after God created everything through articulate speech was just a really profound statement for me. It reminded me of the transcendent quality of articulate thought, speech, and action we possess as human beings that allows us to create the structures (both physical and cultural) that we inhabit and also take a conscious control over how we order and orient our own lives.

For me as a Christian this was a powerful revelation that reminded me of my own agency and responsibility as a human being, as well as the inherent worth of all human beings, and what I view as a gift from and statement to the nature of a being I associate with the highest ideal.

But even aside from whether or not you believe in God or think a belief in God is stupid, the significance of our capacity as articulate beings cannot be denied or overstated. Just looking at the progression of different species it is clear that for every other species such progression happens at an extremely slow rate tied exclusively to their biological evolution, whereas for humans our much quicker rate of progression is almost completely disconnected from that slow biological progression, and this is due to what amounts to an articulate conversation spanning thousands of years between human beings.

And for me as an individual taking proper account of and respect for that faculty has allowed me to become a more emotionally healthy human being and more responsible in the pursuit of my life goals, as well as orderly in my own conduct. It motivated me to make a sincere effort to be as honest of a human being as I can, engage in dialogues to better understand other people and help them understand who I am, actually ****ing study for my college exams, etc.

With the significance of this faculty for articulate speech to the individual in the form of a person's social interactions and overarching humanity in the form of the thousands of years old conversation of culture, it's no surprise that these cultural figures that say things that resonate with people accrue a uniquely intensive respect from large groups of people.

jaden101
Logan Paul apparently.

playa1258
Have to agree with Riv. Sports stars, Musicians/Rappers , actors and other celebs get respect they absolutely don't deserve.

Give me doctors, teachers, police/firemen, paramedics any day over those clowns.

riv6672
Thanks, i was worried ppl would think it was a joke post.

The Ellimist
It depends on whether we're talking about consistent respect (medical professions, etc.) or large spikes (athletes, etc.).

SunRazer
I think the actual professions with the most respect are still doctors and scientists etc., but there's a huge celebrity culture around actors, athletes, musicians, and so on. But if you're an actor or athlete without that celebrity status (and there's many), I doubt you get much prestige.

So on average, medical professions are probably the most respected. But the highest levels of adulation are heavily concentrated around actors, athletes, etc.

darthgoober
Originally posted by cdtm
Was thinking about something I read on how the lead dev of "I have no mouth and I must scream" got his next job. Basically, the guy who wrote the book liked working with him, and took him in front of a bunch of companies, telling everyone he was going to put his name in a hat and they would all draw lots. Whoever ended up with his name, that's where he'd work.

Pretty neat, but I wondered why these companies let this guy call the shots.

Best I could figure, because he was a successful film maker. What else could it be.. That he's a famous author? That he worked on one successful game?

So that's what I'm after here.. Opinions on careers that carry enough weight, where a guy can dominate the conversation in the room or give orders to complete strangers, and be fairly certain people will listen.

I know it's about more then money.. The guy who made Minecraft is richer then god, and he sure won't be telling companies who they're hiring (Unless he buys in as a shareholder..)
He pulled that off because of his influence, respect didn't necessarily factor into his ability to pull that off.

As far as actual respect goes, I'd say people in the military garner the most overall. Large portions of the population go out of their way to make it clear that they "support the troops" even if they're against whatever mission the troops are involved in, many businesses have special discounts for them, people offer up their seats to soldiers on public transit, and whenever a soldier appears in a large crowd it seems there's always at least 1 person around who wants to shake his/her hand and give thanks for their service.

Bentley
Poets and Painters. Gotta respect poets and painters.

riv6672
http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/5849960de02ba75d658b716e-956/screen-shot-2016-12-08-at-114423-am.jpg

cdtm
Originally posted by darthgoober
He pulled that off because of his influence, respect didn't necessarily factor into his ability to pull that off.

Isn"t influence usually only applicable to the same industries/entwining industries?

I could see Hollywood and the video game industry having a big relationship now, but we're talking about 1994 or so.. Why would a film maker be able to influence video game companies making PC games and such?

Beniboybling
Originally posted by Emperordmb

I took psilocybin mushrooms a week after I got rejected by this girl I was really into, (which all things considered I think I handled in an emotionally mature way, and just working up the guts to actually ask her out after 8 months of having a serious crush was a moment of character development and personal actualization for me) which reinforced my appreciation for the world around me, as well as reinforcing a sense of responsibility and agency in my life.

The next day I was meditating and praying asking who I was as a person, and the one word that popped into my head was "Genesis." So I thought back to the beginning of Genesis where God pulls order from chaos to create the universe through articulate speech, and then immediately afterwards creates humans in his image, and then immediately has Adam name all of the animals. And the notion that we are made in God's image juxtaposed immediately after God created everything through articulate speech was just a really profound statement for me. It reminded me of the transcendent quality of articulate thought, speech, and action we possess as human beings that allows us to create the structures (both physical and cultural) that we inhabit and also take a conscious control over how we order and orient our own lives.

For me as a Christian this was a powerful revelation that reminded me of my own agency and responsibility as a human being, as well as the inherent worth of all human beings, and what I view as a gift from and statement to the nature of a being I associate with the highest ideal.

But even aside from whether or not you believe in God or think a belief in God is stupid, the significance of our capacity as articulate beings cannot be denied or overstated. Just looking at the progression of different species it is clear that for every other species such progression happens at an extremely slow rate tied exclusively to their biological evolution, whereas for humans our much quicker rate of progression is almost completely disconnected from that slow biological progression, and this is due to what amounts to an articulate conversation spanning thousands of years between human beings.

And for me as an individual taking proper account of and respect for that faculty has allowed me to become a more emotionally healthy human being and more responsible in the pursuit of my life goals, as well as orderly in my own conduct. It motivated me to make a sincere effort to be as honest of a human being as I can, engage in dialogues to better understand other people and help them understand who I am, actually ****ing study for my college exams, etc.

With the significance of this faculty for articulate speech to the individual in the form of a person's social interactions and overarching humanity in the form of the thousands of years old conversation of culture, it's no surprise that these cultural figures that say things that resonate with people accrue a uniquely intensive respect from large groups of people. this was a journey.

The Ellimist
Originally posted by riv6672
http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/5849960de02ba75d658b716e-956/screen-shot-2016-12-08-at-114423-am.jpg

This is interesting but I'm not sure if the quadrants are named properly; you can not really recognize a profession as "warm" without thinking its full of douches (e.g. scientists).

quanchi112
The most hilarious thing is status doesn't make anyone happy and a factors in very little outside of your basic needs being met. People dwell too much on how others perceive them when in reality no one really cares outside a conversation or two if it doesn't directly affect them.

darthgoober
Originally posted by cdtm
Isn"t influence usually only applicable to the same industries/entwining industries?

I could see Hollywood and the video game industry having a big relationship now, but we're talking about 1994 or so.. Why would a film maker be able to influence video game companies making PC games and such?
EVERYONE wants influence Hollywood because of the near infinite ways of making a lot of money there.

Aside from that basic truth, that's right around the time the relationship between the two movies reached the point of making live action movies based on video games. Super Mario Brothers was released in 1993, Double Dragon and Streetfighter were released in 94, and Mortal Combat was released in 95.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Emperordmb

With the significance of this faculty for articulate speech to the individual in the form of a person's social interactions and overarching humanity in the form of the thousands of years old conversation of culture, it's no surprise that these cultural figures that say things that resonate with people accrue a uniquely intensive respect from large groups of people.

Awesome.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Steve Zodiac
Prostitute.

Well with the way our culture pedastalises useless whores like Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian it would seem the case.

I think President of the United States used to be a respected position until Trump took over.

Surtur
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Well with the way our culture pedastalises useless whores like Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian it would seem the case.

I think President of the United States used to be a respected position until Trump took over.

He is belligerent as f*ck, correct? He really says some dumb shit. But when it comes purely to actions you could find something deeply disturbing from more or less any president from the last several decades.

JFK lied and stoked cold war fears in order to help get elected, for instance. I am not making excuses for Trump, merely trying to show you that he isn't the oncoming storm(Doctor Who reference ftw).

Sin I AM

I dont think they put them on pedastels. I think Americans just have a weird obsession with rich attractive people.

Depends on the president. Reagan was always regal to me as a kid.

Surtur
Originally posted by Sin I AM
I dont think they put them on pedastels. I think Americans just have a weird obsession with rich attractive people.

Depends on the president. Reagan was always regal to me as a kid.

But if you remember Reagan also did things like the joke about attacking Russia in five minutes. Though I do respect Reagan.

Sin I AM
But if you remember Reagan also did things like the joke about attacking Russia in five minutes. Though I do respect Reagan.

Thats not a takeaway. A bit of levity is fine in leadership. I admire leaders who dont take themselves too seriously

Surtur
Thats not a takeaway. A bit of levity is fine in leadership. I admire leaders who dont take themselves too seriously

I like him, but I have to disagree a bit. A joke like that during the cold war, IIRC Russia actually went on alert or something over it, correct?

Patient_Leech
He is belligerent as f*ck, correct? He really says some dumb shit. But when it comes purely to actions you could find something deeply disturbing from more or less any president from the last several decades.

JFK lied and stoked cold war fears in order to help get elected, for instance. I am not making excuses for Trump, merely trying to show you that he isn't the oncoming storm(Doctor Who reference ftw).

Right, of course any other president has been less-than-perfect. But we're talking about R-E-S-P-E-C-T for the position. And Trump has tainted the position arguably more than any other president by, as you say, saying and doing some of the dumbest and most despicable shit and making absolutely no apology for it and in fact thinking that his shit doesn't even stink.

Yeah, I mean I guess my problem is that they aren't even really celebrities in the same sense as say actors or musicians. They aren't even entertainers to my knowledge, so the fact that the Kardashians have a big reality TV show is mind-boggling to me.

Surtur
Right, of course any other president has been less-than-perfect. But we're talking about R-E-S-P-E-C-T for the position. And Trump has tainted the position arguably more than any other president by, as you say, saying and doing some of the dumbest and most despicable shit and making absolutely no apology for it and in fact thinking that his shit doesn't even stink.

Yeah, I mean I guess my problem is that they aren't even really celebrities in the same sense as say actors or musicians. They aren't even entertainers to my knowledge, so the fact that the Kardashians have a big reality TV show is mind-boggling to me.

I agree, I just think people need to pay attention to actions more than words with Trump.

darthgoober

Personally, I think most people who're familiar with him would say that Andrew Johnson was worse. Trump is obviously at a disadvantage in the sense that he's fresher in the minds of the masses so there's plenty of people with only a passing knowledge of history who'll say that Trump is the worse president ever, but from an objective standpoint I'd say Johnson has him beat by a mile.

Sin I AM
I like him, but I have to disagree a bit. A joke like that during the cold war, IIRC Russia actually went on alert or something over it, correct?

Yes. It was a joke made during sound check before his real speech and yes USSR went on alert for 30 min. But iirc it was just a joke and iirc it wasnt even made public till later.

The Ellimist

Granted, Trump is hardly someone who doesn't take himself seriously.

dadudemon

That's humans, not only Americans.

dadudemon
Originally posted by riv6672

Yup, this is cool. I like it.

But, likely, the data is a bit suspect because of how they had to "poll" this information. That's my opinion and I could be wrong.

Flyattractor

No. TRUMP hasn't TAINTED The Presidency. The Anti Trump Left Wing Biased MEDIA and its Hollywood COHORTS had done THEIR Best to Taint it. That is called a SMEAR CAMPAIGN!!!!!!!!!

Robtard

So Reagan's war joke that was said off public air is wrong, but Trump's retard dick-waving "Mine's bigger!" like tweet about nukes to North Korea was not. You have some pretty ****ed up standards, sport

Surtur
Originally posted by Robtard
So Reagan's war joke that was said off public air is wrong, but Trump's retard dick-waving "Mine's bigger!" like tweet about nukes to North Korea was not. You have some pretty ****ed up standards, sport

Well no lol. I brought up that Reagan thing specifically because of the recent Trump thing.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Robtard

That is funny coming from the guy whose sides when Ape Rape Balls Aids Shit over something our current Prez said when he thought was "Off Air"and tried to turn it into a Sexual Abuse FireStorm.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.