Should convicted felons be allowed to hold public office?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
http://www.courant.com/opinion/op-ed/hc-op-fresh-talk-omalley-corrupt-politicians--0503-20170502-story.html

http://www.courant.com/opinion/op-ed/hc-op-fresh-talk-omalley-corrupt-politicians--0503-20170502-story.html

http://courantblogs.com/investigative-reporting/why-convicted-felon-ernie-newton-can-run-for-office/

Follow up question: Who keeps voting for these jokers in the first place?

"Hey, isn't that the guy who evaded tax's, accepted $5,000 in bribes, and stole money to fix his car? I KNOW WHO I'M VOTING FOR!"

Seriously. Whether they're trustworthy isn't even an issue anymoe, so WTF PEOPLE?

CroftAlice
A wolf remains a wolf even though he changes his fur.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by cdtm

http://courantblogs.com/investigative-reporting/why-convicted-felon-ernie-newton-can-run-for-office/

"Hey, isn't that the guy who evaded tax's, accepted $5,000 in bribes, and stole money to fix his car? I KNOW WHO I'M VOTING FOR!"

Seriously. Whether they're trustworthy isn't even an issue anymoe, so WTF PEOPLE?

Yes

cdtm
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Yes

Yes, they should?

The way I see it, public office is based on trust. The moment someone breaks that trust, they should be kept as far away from the public tills as possible.

It's like having a corrupt judge resume their duties. Without trust, the whole system becomes a joke.

The Ellimist
Yes. I think we need to be very careful opening that can of worms (restricting who can run).

Sin I AM
Yes, they should?

The way I see it, public office is based on trust. The moment someone breaks that trust, they should be kept as far away from the public tills as possible.

It's like having a corrupt judge resume their duties. Without trust, the whole system becomes a joke.

Its based on the people and what they want. If he paid his debt to society who cares.

Also this

Originally posted by The Ellimist
Yes. I think we need to be very careful opening that can of worms (restricting who can run).

bluewaterrider

The way I see it, public office is based on trust.

confused You ... trust Trump?

To do what, exactly?

Darkstorm Zero
I wouldn't trust Trump to sit the right way on a toilet seat.

dadudemon

Yes. Let the hold office, too. It is up to the people to decide. Hoooray, democracy! big grin

Surtur
Originally posted by dadudemon
Yes. Let the hold office, too. It is up to the people to decide. Hoooray, democracy! big grin

Lol unless they decide on someone you do not want. Then they whine and whine and whine and shout "not my president". Run campaigns to get the electors to not vote the way their state chose when it came to the Electoral College. Same folk who whined when they thought Trump wouldn't accept the results lol, SAME FOLK.

Then it was collusion Trump did, then obstruction, then no he's just mental. Next week I expect them to suggest Trump is legit possessed and demand he undergo an exorcism.

cdtm
Originally posted by The Ellimist

A felony isn't really much of a can, imo.

And we already restrict who can run.

Afro Cheese
My brother just got charged with a felony for stealing booze at work (at a grocery store). 25 dollars worth. It's considered a felony because he's an employee for some reason. He's 18 years old with no record.

And I know someone else who has 2 felonies cause she was busted trying to buy crack from an undercover cop. Wasn't a dealer or anything... she was just a crackhead.

Rockydonovang
If you've paid the time then you should experience all the rights of citizenship. Otherwise, the government has no business violating other people's rights in the first place/

Rockydonovang

And we already restrict who can run.
What we do or don't do isn't relevant to what we should or should not do. Explain why people should have to be subjected to punishment according to the laws of a country when they don't get to enjoy the rights afforded to members of that country.

cdtm
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
What we do or don't do isn't relevant to what we should or should not do. Explain why people should have to be subjected to punishment according to the laws of a country when they don't get to enjoy the rights afforded to members of that country.

You seriously don't see anything wrong with someone who accepted bribes, stole money, and evaded tax's in a position of trust over the public?

Since we're talking about "should's "

If you don't think corruption is a deal breaker, ethically, then I don't know what to tell you.

It's no wonder our country is run by crooks, if many of the opinions here are common.

Surtur
With the shit these politicians already pull do we want to say "you can run even if you get convicted of a felony" ?

Rockydonovang
You seriously don't see anything wrong with someone who accepted bribes, stole money, and evaded tax's in a position of trust over the public?

I see something wrong with them being elected. I don't see a problem with them running. That they won is not the fault of us allowing them to exercise their rights but rather the fault of us constantly undermining the right to vote.

I also have no issue with elected officials who were once convicted of having weed or petty theft a way back.

If you don't think corruption is a deal breaker, ethically, then I don't know what to tell you.

It should be a deal breaker for people looking to elect them, but a crime you've already paid time for vi a a violation of your own rights should not be used to further restrict your rights.
It's no wonder our country is run by crooks, if many of the opinions here are common.
Our country is run by crooks because money is corrupt and money decides policy rather than the populace. That's not justification to restrict people's rights after they have already had their rights restricted. What happened to no double jeopardy?

Surtur
Double Jeopardy starred a NASTY woman.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Surtur
Lol unless they decide on someone you do not want.

Well that's too f****in' bad, now isn't it? Almost ALL politicians at the national level, I don't want in office. big grin

Take the good with the bad with democracy.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
My brother just got charged with a felony for stealing booze at work (at a grocery store). 25 dollars worth. It's considered a felony because he's an employee for some reason. He's 18 years old with no record.

And I know someone else who has 2 felonies cause she was busted trying to buy crack from an undercover cop. Wasn't a dealer or anything... she was just a crackhead.

Interesting that both are drug related crimes.

Surtur
Well that's too f****in' bad, now isn't it? Almost ALL politicians at the national level, I don't want in office. big grin

Take the good with the bad with democracy.

Lol nah, you don't take the good with the bad. What you do is question the mental state of others while screaming at the sky in a rage or wearing pussy hats. That's how real people do it bro.

Afro Cheese
Interesting that both are drug related crimes. Well, in my brother's case the fact that it was booze is actually not what made it a felony. My coworker got a misdemeanor larceny for stealing nearly 100$ worth from the local ABC store. It's considered a felony in my brother's case because it's classed as "larceny from employer" or something like that. We got him a lawyer though.... the felony will almost certainly be reduced to a misdemeanor, barring some unforeseen bad luck.

As for crack though yea they don't play any games with that shit. She probably would've gotten a misdemeanor if it was a similar amount of cocaine. Although I think buying from the undercover made it a worse charge too... but it was like 60$ worth of crack or some shit; clearly just meant for personal use.

dadudemon
Well, in my brother's case the fact that it was booze is actually not what made it a felony. My coworker got a misdemeanor larceny for stealing nearly 100$ worth from the local ABC store. It's considered a felony in my brother's case because it's classed as "larceny from employer" or something like that. We got him a lawyer though.... the felony will almost certainly be reduced to a misdemeanor, barring some unforeseen bad luck.

That's good. I hope it gets reduced to a misdemeanor.

As for crack though yea they don't play any games with that shit. She probably would've gotten a misdemeanor if it was a similar amount of cocaine. Although I think buying from the undercover made it a worse charge too... but it was like 60$ worth of crack or some shit; clearly just meant for personal use.

This is part of why I want to decriminalize all drugs and treat drug problems as health issues with fines for serious drug sales. I really do not like the concept of punishing someone who has a medical issue and probably mental issues.

snowdragon
This is part of why I want to decriminalize all drugs and treat drug problems as health issues with fines for serious drug sales. I really do not like the concept of punishing someone who has a medical issue and probably mental issues.

Agreed, it does a disservice to our society and just clogs our jail system.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.