Restore a little Faith In Humanity After Watching 2017

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darkstorm Zero
wfYKH0B3tYQ

Because there's no reason not to stop and do a good thing. A lesson seldom seen in today's cold and chaotic world.

No matter the ethnicity, gender, race or creed. In the end, we are all still human.

Pessimystic
We're all still human... with greatly varying intelligence, appearance, physical ability etc.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Pessimystic
We're all still human... with greatly varying intelligence, appearance, physical ability etc.

That caveat is exactly the problem

Darkstorm Zero
As time goes on, people focus evermore on differences rather than similarities. We all bleed red. If we are sad, do we not weep? and if we are glad, do we not smile?

Some things are universal.

Pessimystic
I agree with all of that, but it's not how the majority of people think. It's a very race-centric tribalist world today and if you don't stand up you'll be ran over.

https://img.4plebs.org/boards/pol/image/1494/91/1494910533812.png

MythLord
That was beautiful.

Darkstorm Zero
Originally posted by Pessimystic
I agree with all of that, but it's not how the majority of people think. It's a very race-centric tribalist world today and if you don't stand up you'll be ran over.

https://img.4plebs.org/boards/pol/image/1494/91/1494910533812.png

Hmm, Makes me wonder... Would it take an enemy of all humanity to make us all stand as one? Huh, united through violence. What a way to make world peace possible.

Originally posted by MythLord
That was beautiful.

Thank you.

The Ellimist
Well despite the news and stuff humanity is empirically improving in practically every major measurable metric, e.g. GDP, GDP per capita, life expectancy, literacy rate, etc. I do think there are some major problems that don't show up on that "stat sheet" like existential threats and there may be some accumulating issues (fertility rates) but the notion that our outcomes are getting worse at this very moment is just wrong.

Steve Zodiac
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Well despite the news and stuff humanity is empirically improving in practically every major measurable metric, e.g. GDP, GDP per capita, life expectancy, literacy rate, etc. I do think there are some major problems that don't show up on that "stat sheet" like existential threats and there may be some accumulating issues (fertility rates) but the notion that our outcomes are getting worse at this very moment is just wrong. You're in high-school or Autistic?

The Lost
Originally posted by Steve Zodiac
You're in high-school or Autistic?

If you disagree with the notion that humanity is improving, explain that. Severe crime, drug addiction, education, life expectancy, etc., has not been worsening but rather improving.

The fact that we have more quick accessibility and a lot more exposure to news stories and world news than before (for example, the internet offers increased awareness/exposure over the means that the radio did or a newspaper, as just one example) does not mean that things are actually worsening. I can understand how that can confuse, however.

Looking at any meaningful evidence suggests, however, that things are getting better and better.

Emperordmb
Pessimystic does have a point to be concerned about the culture and social fabric, even if I don't think the alt-right has a feasible or ethical solution to the problem. My belief is in the past few years we've seen the emergence of various collectivist ideologies and a very reactionary form of politics that has been divisive to the nation and harmed the social fabric. My personal hope is that people will stop with this SJW and alt-right bullshit and get redpilled to a more MLKesque style individualism.

Ellimist has a point in regards to the continued technological progress of mankind, unless things get more noticeably ****ed that's pretty much a guarantee with the passing of time at this point in human history and speaks to our potential as individual articulate beings and a broader society of articulate beings in an ongoing conversation.

Darkstorm Zero of course is right about the universality of human worth, which I ascribe to as a Christian, and I think that presupposition is one to keep in mind at the forefront for making moral decisions.

Afro Cheese
When I watched the video it seemed to me that by "restoring our faith in humanity" OP means our capacity for empathy. It was just a series of people helping other people/animals in need.

So technological progress and all that seems irrelevant to the question of the thread to me. The only relevant question being posed is how likely are people to help/empathize with their fellow man.

Emperordmb
Virtuous behavior manifests itself through love and humility as actions of reconciliation, sacrifice, and personal responsibility.

Sinful behavior emerges from a nihilistic view of human worth, shame, arrogance and manifests itself in resentful, covetous, and irresponsible behavior.

The Ellimist
The way I put it is that the world's current state is improving at a rapid rate, but its probability of catastrophe is increasing too.

Surtur
My faith will be restored when large amounts of people stand up to call out bullshit like transgender children.

So in other words: it will never be restored.

Steve Zodiac
Originally posted by Surtur
My faith will be restored when large amounts of people stand up to call out bullshit like transgender children.

So in other words: it will never be restored. Well there is that Surt and strangely for once I agree with you.

Robtard
Originally posted by The Lost
Looking at any meaningful evidence suggests, however, that things are getting better and better.

thumb up

Agreed. As bad as some things can still be and are, it's still better than before. 50, 100, 200 years.

Surtur
These are great days we're living in bros, we're jolly green giants.

But no yeah seriously the past was horrible. Penn & Teller did an episode about the "Good Ol' Days" myth that was decent.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.