Why is Anakin addressed as Master in TCW and RotS?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kurk
1. RotS the younglings call him master, but you could claim that they're children who don't know any better. Plus them calling him master could just mean that they really look up to him as a mentor.

2. in TCW Anakin is addressed as master by Dooku and a few others. This is less excusable as they should know better.

Dooku calling him master here: https://youtu.be/DOZ4SpuOmH4?t=21s

Could "young master" be Dooku's way of mocking him via dun moch?

Barriss calls him master as well here: https://youtu.be/2tMQyJCKLcw?t=25s

In legends Barriss would've been a jedi knight by this time, rendering the claim that she calls him master due to rank difference as incorrect.

I'm not sure if she would've been a knight by then in canon, but she's not wearing the padawan braid in this scene.

Feel free to contribute to the discussion.

The Ellimist
I mean you sometimes call university lecturers professors even though they're usually not formally considered professors.

Kurk
Originally posted by The Ellimist
I mean you sometimes call university lecturers professors even though they're usually not formally considered professors. I don't. My classmates do. It's a huge pet peeve of mine.

Tenured Professors are addressed as professor

Assistant and associate profs are addressed as "dr"

non-doctorates are mrs/mr

not that hard people.

Pessimystic
Probably out of pity, even the younglings are teasing him.

DarthAnt66
"Master" serves as a title of respect / formality of someone older / higher ranked.

Dooku is likely playing on Anakin's desires.

The Ellimist
Originally posted by Kurk
I don't. My classmates do. It's a huge pet peeve of mine.

Tenured Professors are addressed as professor

Assistant and associate profs are addressed as "dr"

non-doctorates are mrs/mr

not that hard people.

But what if the lecturer in question is a genius prodigy who's published more than practically any professor and has just not been granted tenure because the committee thinks he's too hotheaded?

Kurk
Originally posted by The Ellimist
But what if the lecturer in question is a genius prodigy who's published more than practically any professor and has just not been granted tenure because the committee thinks he's too hotheaded? Then you address them as EmperorDMB

JKBart
It's the common courtesy within the Jedi Order, where the baseline of the structure is that of the fully trained Jedi and the students. Masters+Knights, Padawans+Initiates/Younglings. That's basically masters and apprentices, two groups.

In that regard, that Knight is called a master, but not called a Master. You get the difference I hope. Jedi Knight is part of the general half of the Order that consists of fully trained Jedi that are commonly called "masters".

That's as natural as calling your grand-grandfather a grandfather, or any other simplifications like that. Perhaps the best example is the common courtesy to address the policemen as "officers" in most countries, even in those where officers are the servicemembers of the upper echelon of the rank structure within command position, usually consisting of up to 10-20% of the unit. It's just a simplification mixed with courtesy.

Kurk
Originally posted by JKBart
It's the common courtesy within the Jedi Order, where the baseline of the structure is that of the fully trained Jedi and the students. Masters+Knights, Padawans+Initiates/Younglings. That's basically masters and apprentices, two groups.

In that regard, that Knight is called a master, but not called a Master. You get the difference I hope. Jedi Knight is part of the general half of the Order that consists of fully trained Jedi that are commonly called "masters".

That's as natural as calling your grand-grandfather a grandfather, or any other simplifications like that. Perhaps the best example is the common courtesy to address the policemen as "officers" in most countries, even in those where officers are the servicemembers of the upper echelon of the rank structure within command position, usually consisting of up to 10-20% of the unit. It's just a simplification mixed with courtesy. It's been a while since I've since a non-shit post from you, Bart. Here are some brownie points.

The Ellimist
Bart has stopped trolling as much as of late, he even shed his fake TOR wank and acknowledged that Valkorion is Obi Wan tier. smile

Sinious
Originally posted by Pessimystic
Probably out of pity, even the younglings are teasing him. kek

Selenial
Originally posted by Kurk
It's been a while since I've since a non-shit post from you, Bart. Here are some brownie points.

His RP knowledge comes in hot sometimes, yeh.

Freedon Nadd
Because younglings were terrified of him.

Lord Stark
In general Master Jedi and master are used to refer to any Jedi who has attained the rank of Knight especially when they have already had a Padawan. Dooku also refers to Obi-Wan as "Master Kenobi" and the Kaminoans call him Master Jedi.

Lord Lucien
It's almost like these things were poorly written or something.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.