Oprah is seriously considering standing for POTUS

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Steve Zodiac
I can't stand Oprah.

Flyattractor
So you ADMIT to being both a Sexist AND a Racist?

You are a Bad Person Stevie.

Steve Zodiac
Originally posted by Flyattractor
So you ADMIT to being both a Sexist AND a Racist?

You are a Bad Person Stevie. Are you an Oprah fan Fly?

Flyattractor
That would depend....(looks under chair to see if got a new car)

Robtard
Originally posted by Steve Zodiac
I can't stand Oprah.

Thanks to Trumpers who elected a man-child, the 'no experience needed, you just have to be a celebrity and rich' is now in play for the position of POTUS.

Not that I think Oprah would be worse than Trump, she at least made herself and didn't rely on a well connected multi-millionaire father to lift her up. But she should have started lower in politics to get some experience under her belt before.

The Ellimist
Originally posted by Robtard
Thanks to Trumpers who elected a man-child, the 'no experience needed, you just have to be a celebrity and rich' is now in play for the position of POTUS.

Not that I think Oprah would be worse than Trump, she at least made herself and didn't rely on a well connected multi-millionaire father to lift her up. But she should have started lower in politics to get some experience under her belt before.

Yeah honestly I don't know who I would vote for between Oprah and Trump. That's just a scary choice.

Surtur

Well if you did find that car I would hope you would have thousands of dollars set aside to pay for it, because what they don't tell you is she doesn't pay for the taxes for it lol.

So there were stories of people having to pay thousands after getting a car worth like 30k from her.

Steve Zodiac
Can't help thinking this will divide the states further along racial and gender lines.

Surtur
I met her kinda, briefly as a kid while jogging with my aunt.

Flyattractor
Can't help thinking this will divide the states further along racial and gender lines.

Dunno...Obama did a DAMN GOOD JOB at doing just THAT!

Originally posted by Surtur
Well if you did find that car I would hope you would have thousands of dollars set aside to pay for it, because what they don't tell you is she doesn't pay for the taxes for it lol.

So there were stories of people having to pay thousands after getting a car worth like 30k from her.

That is really how ALL those game show prizes work.

Surtur

Plus the election would be even more of a spectacle than the last.

Robtard

Things that bother Surtur. Nevermind thousands of people were ripped off and had to settle for pennies on the dollar over the Trump U scandal. The real scandal is Oprah's 'free car' deal.

ps You still have to pay taxes on prizes many a time; that's the government, not Oprah's magiks

Surtur
Dunno...Obama did a DAMN GOOD JOB at doing just THAT!

That is really how ALL those game show prizes work.

Perhaps, but Oprah's generosity is played up.

They did kinda try to fix the problem with other give away prizes, but people apparently still ended up paying some money.

Oh and that one 300 give away car thing she didn't even pay for the cars lol.

Flyattractor
Things that bother Surtur. Nevermind thousands of people were ripped off and had to settle for pennies on the dollar over the Trump U scandal. The real scandal is Oprah's 'free car' deal. ps You still have to pay taxes on prizes many a time; that's the government, not Oprah's magiks

And which side is the BIGGEST Supporter of TAXES....

Steve Zodiac
This is going to be bad... channelling the prophecy of soothsayer Stop the Hate. Oprah is known for crappy little human interest causes, she will miss the big picture.

Surtur
Things that bother Surtur. Nevermind thousands of people were ripped off and had to settle for pennies on the dollar over the Trump U scandal. The real scandal is Oprah's 'free car' deal.

ps You still have to pay taxes on prizes many a time; that's the government, not Oprah's magiks

The topic is about Oprah, someone mentioned the free cars, and I mentioned it. The fact it triggered you is hilarious.

Flyattractor
This is going to be bad... channelling the prophecy of soothsayer Stop the Hate. Oprah is known for crappy little human interest causes, she will miss the big picture.

So tell me Stevie....Do your White Sheets have a Big Anti Female Symbol on them?

Steve Zodiac
The topic is about Oprah, someone mentioned the free cars, and I mentioned it. The fact it triggered you is hilarious. To be honest, I'm triggered and fearful, Oprah is an awful individual. She has been spinning fake news since 1988.

Flyattractor
Are you an Oprah fan Fly?

To be honest, I'm triggered and fearful, Oprah is an awful individual. She has been spinning fake news since 1988.

you seem to know way more about her then I do.

Steve Zodiac
So tell me Stevie....Do your White Sheets have a Big Anti Female Symbol on them? No, do yours? Let's get back to topic pal, I know I've butthurt you shitloads, but we might have common ground here.

Robtard
The topic is about Oprah, someone mentioned the free cars, and I mentioned it. The fact it triggered you is hilarious.

The fact you don't understand how people are still often responsible in paying taxes on prizes is both funny and not surprising, considering your general lack of knowing.

eg You realize if you win the Powerball, you're taxed, right?

KMCadmin
https://media1.tenor.com/images/8f0ffc7bed71e84e31065bb5001a18d8/tenor.gif

Surtur
To be honest, I'm triggered and fearful, Oprah is an awful individual. She has been spinning fake news since 1988.

Actually...this odes make sense lol. She could potentially be far more dangerous if she wanted to because she lacks Trumps inability to keep his mouth closed.

Surtur
The fact you don't understand how people are still often responsible in paying taxes on prizes is both funny and not surprising, considering your general lack of knowing.

eg You realize if you win the Powerball, you're taxed, right?

But I never said I didn't understand it lol. I mentioned it because of Oprahs specific image, not because she was the only one who did this. But you being triggered over it is noted.

Flyattractor
No, do yours? Let's get back to topic pal, I know I've butthurt you shitloads, but we might have common ground here.

https://media.giphy.com/media/12VKbG3O2sMabK/source.gif

Ohhh Sure you have Skippy...and No. Just No.

Robtard
But I never said I didn't understand it lol. I mentioned it because of Oprahs specific image, not because she was the only one who did this. But you being triggered over it is noted.

Clearly. You tried to make it out to be something negative about Oprah and it's not. There's plenty of negative things to say about her; that's not one. You're just dense.

Surtur
Clearly. You tried to make it out to be something negative about Oprah and it's not. There's plenty of negative things to say about her; that's not one. You're just dense.

No, you just needed something to try to pick at lol. It's okay Rob.

Steve Zodiac
https://media.giphy.com/media/12VKbG3O2sMabK/source.gif

Ohhh Sure you have Skippy...and No. Just No. You see I've emotionally reamed you again. Night *****!

Flyattractor
You see I've emotionally reamed you again. Night *****!

I aint the one INSERTING the other into their Sex Fantasies.

Robtard
No, you just needed something to try to pick at lol. It's okay Rob.

Nay, what I said.

ps Most people would also happily pay a few thousand for a new car worth 30-35k, that's simply a good deal, as you can sell the car and still make a very healthy profit if you don't want to keep it. You're just dense.

Surtur
Nay, what I said.

ps Most people would also happily pay a few thousand for a new car worth 30-35k, that's simply a good deal, as you can sell the car and still make a very healthy profit if you don't want to keep it. You're just dense.

You're just butthurt I brought up an Oprah scandal, it's okay.

Robtard
Um, you just said you're not the one who brought Oprah's car giveaway up, genius. Make up your mind.

Surtur
Um, you just said you're not the one who brought Oprah's car giveaway up, genius. Make up your mind.

I didn't bring it up lol. I brought up the scandal. Someone else mentioned her free car thing. It's right there on the previous page.

This is what spurred my response.

Robtard
Make up you're mind, sport. You're also welcome on me enlightening you on how free prizes, government taxing works and how paying very little for something expensive is actually a plus. It's common to go "thanks!" instead of throwing a fit.

Surtur
Lol dude nobody threw a fit. My comment was made in reference to a specific scandal with her.

Robtard
You don't understand what a "scandal" is and isn't, as noted Trump U was just business with you, but Oprah's car giveaway is somehow nefarious. You're dense; that's clear to see.

quanchi112
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Yeah honestly I don't know who I would vote for between Oprah and Trump. That's just a scary choice. If you'd vote for Trump especially after this presidency I wouldn't trust you with anything tbh.

Surtur
You don't understand what a "scandal" is and isn't, as noted Trump U was just business with you, but Oprah's car giveaway is somehow nefarious. You're dense; that's clear to see.

Look at the narratives you're putting forth lol. I never said it was nefarious, but it was a scandal at the time. And then you bring up Trump U lol.

Do these tactics ever get old?

Robtard
Repeat: Paying taxes on prizes isn't a "scandal", you dummy. It's government regulations and the tax code. The people who won the cars paid very little in comparison for a prize worth several ten's of thousands which they could have kept or sold for a nice profit. They also had the option of not accepting the car and therefore not pay taxes on it; it was their choice. You're legit dense, Surt.

Surtur
Repeat: Paying taxes on prizes isn't a "scandal", you dummy. It's government regulations and the tax code. The people who won the cars paid very little in comparison for a prize worth several ten's of thousands which they could have kept or sold for a nice profit. They also had the option of not accepting the car and therefore not pay taxes on it; it was their choice. You're legit dense, Surt.

Dude, it was a scandal at the time. You can say it wasn't worthy of being a scandal, but it was. How is this hard to get?

quanchi112
Continues to not get it and repeat himself like trump.

Surtur
Originally posted by quanchi112
Continues to not get it and repeat himself like trump.

For someone who dislikes Trump you do share a lot in common smile

quanchi112
For someone who dislikes Trump you do share a lot in common smile This applies to you in this thread. Your responses make no sense like his. You're out of touch with reality and have no self awareness.

Surtur
Now Alex Jones is going after her lol. Chris almighty.

quanchi112
Running scared.

Robtard
Dude, it was a scandal at the time. You can say it wasn't worthy of being a scandal, but it was. How is this hard to get?

Nah, you're just dense. If the winners didn't want to pay taxes on the prizes, they could just forfeit the prize. Though one would have to be stupid or broke to not pay a few thousand for a $30,000.00 car they could turn around and sell for an easy $18-20,000.00 or more.

Surtur
Nah, you're just dense. If the winners didn't want to pay taxes on the prizes, they could just forfeit the prize. Though one would have to be stupid or broke to not pay a few thousand for a $30,000.00 car they could turn around and sell for an easy $18-20,000.00 or more.

Nah, you just want an excuse to talk shit. I mentioned something that was a scandal at the time, you whined over it lol.

BackFire
Doubt that she'll run.

If she did, though, she would probably win. In fact I think she'd probably win by huge margins if she made it through the primary.

Adam_PoE

This reminds me of conservatives, who threatened under Obama, to artificially cap their earnings at $200,000. Because income below $200,000 is taxed at an effective rate of 15% and income above $200,000 is taxed at an effective rate of 25%. So instead of netting $207,500 on a $250,000 gross, they would rather net $170,000 on a $200,000 gross. It is like, do you even math, bro?

Robtard
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
This reminds me of conservatives, who threatened under Obama, to artificially cap their earnings at $200,000. Because income below $200,000 is taxed at an effective rate of 15% and income above $200,000 is taxed at an effective rate of 25%. So instead of netting $207,500 on a $250,000 gross, they would rather net $170,000 on a $200,000 gross. It is like, do you even math, bro?

Oh conservatives...

dadudemon

Yes, Trump is absolutely terrible.

Oprah...I don't want my first female president to be Oprah. Can't it be some super amazing smart gal like Obama was (Obama wasn't a gal, you trolls, but he definitely was super amazing smart)?

Adam_PoE
Oh conservatives...

They are too ignorant to understand that the first $200,000 is taxed at 15% and the next $50,000 is taxed at 25%.

They think the entire $250,000 is taxed at 25% because they do not understand how taxes work.

They would rather purposely bring home $37,500 less to spite Obama.

Yeah, that will really show him.

Afro Cheese
Trump didn't make it possible to win without experience. He won because it was already possible.

Trump vs Oprah 2020 will be ****ing epic. Though I'm still holding out for Trump vs Kanye.

Robtard
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
Trump didn't make it possible to win without experience. He won because it was already possible.

Trump vs Oprah 2020 will be ****ing epic. Though I'm still holding out for Trump vs Kanye.

Nah, the precedent didn't really exist before, at least not in recent history as you can probably go back to the 1870's and find me one. That's why so many people thought Trump and his antic had no chance.

But It's now a thing because of Trumpers. To be POTUS, one need no experience, just be famous, loud and wealthy. People like The Rock and Zuckerberg now know this.

Trump Vs Kanye is a definite lose/lose for the country

Afro Cheese
Nah, you're just assuming that Trump was the only one who could crack that barrier. But it's a baseless assumption on your part. Naturally there will always be "no precedent" for the first person to do so, just like there was "no precedent" in 2008 that a black candidate could win.

Robtard
Nah, no assumptions, cos there was no "no way he could win" in regards to Obama, like Trump had due to his inexperience and shitty antics across the poltical spectrum. So yeah, you're wrong, Trumper's set the "no experience required" precedent and now we've got to deal with it going forward.

Afro Cheese
They only managed to set the precedent because apparently the "there's no way" rhetoric was actually incorrect. There was a way. Or else he wouldn't have won in the first place.

I mean, people were declaring an almost inevitable victory for the Democrats in 2016 long before Trump even seemed like the most likely Republican nominee. And I actually do remember people saying there's no way a black president was in our immediate future back in the late 90's/early 2000's. People have a hard time predicting things that previously weren't the norm, sometimes.

Robtard
You agree Trumpers set the precedent then. Good, happy to have educated you thumb up

Your racist grandpa is an outlier thumb down

Afro Cheese
I never said he didn't set the precedent. So did Obama for black presidents. Enjoy your consolation prize, since you gave up on the argument at hand.

Robtard
I said 'Trumpers set the precedent" (they did, never moved from this stance), you came in saying "Trump didn't", so not only did you not follow what I was saying, you're now backtracking your own words. Good job.

SquallX
Same thing was said about Regan?

Afro Cheese
I said 'Trumpers set the precedent" (they did, never moved from this stance), you came in saying "Trump didn't", so not only did you not follow what I was saying, you're now backtracking your own words. Good job. No. I said Trump didn't create the possibility for a celebrity with no experience to win the POTUS elections, he seized upon that already existing opportunity. Your mistake is assuming the precedent needs to already be set as a necessary prerequisite for that opportunity to exist.

Robtard
What I said was about Trumpers...

Afro Cheese
That changes nothing... You are still assuming that if "Trumpers" never voted for Trump, no other inexperienced celebrity could gain a similar sort of cult of personality. Really, you're giving Trump a hell of a lot of credit without meaning to.

Robtard
Originally posted by SquallX
Same thing was said about Regan?

The **** are you talking bout Reagan. You seem confused again.

Robtard
That changes nothing...

Except you're arguing something else than what I said. That's all...

Afro Cheese
Check the edit. You were the one who tried to shift goal posts ftr.

Robtard
Check the edit. You were the one who tried to shift goal posts ftr.

No need to check anything, all my post had the 'Trumpers set the precedent' as the the focal point. You're wrong again.

ps They totally did

Afro Cheese
Alright. You can bring a horse to water...

Rage.Of.Olympus

How is paying government mandated taxes, no more than a few thousand, on a FREE car estimated at around 30 grand an Oprah scandal? Wtf? Are you high bro?

quanchi112
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
How is paying government mandated taxes, no more than a few thousand, on a FREE car estimated at around 30 grand an Oprah scandal? Wtf? Are you high bro?

laughing out loud

You can't fake this kind of retardation. 100 percent pure.

LordofBrooklyn
Originally posted by BackFire
Doubt that she'll run.

If she did, though, she would probably win. In fact I think she'd probably win by huge margins if she made it through the primary.

I'll take that bet.

Your modhood lies in the balance!

BackFire
I'm already barely a mod.

Silent Master
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus

According to this, they picked people that needed cars for the audience and the taxes were up to $7,000

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2016/09/13/a-look-back-at-oprahs-ultimate-car-giveaway/#1f8f66c660ff

Generally people that need cars don't have $7,000 laying around.

Flyattractor
RGg166cH1VM

Surtur
Originally posted by Silent Master
According to this, they picked people that needed cars for the audience and the taxes were up to $7,000

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2016/09/13/a-look-back-at-oprahs-ultimate-car-giveaway/#1f8f66c660ff

Generally people that need cars don't have $7,000 laying around.

And they weren't even from Oprah, but donated by Pontiac but where this shit gets super silly is: it's not up for debate even lol. It was a scandal when this went down. It wasn't water gate or anything, it was a celebrity scandal.

It's as if people truly cannot tell the difference between if something was treated as a scandal and if something actually merits such treatment. You would think they would, though, since that is exactly what they claim scandals around Hilary was.

And also, don't you recall Democrat talking points about experience during the election? Did I just imagine people trying to say Trump shouldn't win because he had no experience, etc?

quanchi112

Generally people that need cars don't have $7,000 laying around. Giving someone a free car is a scandal to you. What the hell is wrong with you ? If you win the lottery would you flip on the lottery system when your winnings were taxed. You're about as credible as your pal Surtur these days.

Surtur
Holy shit...so even when it's explained why it was a scandal at the time that gets translated into "you, Silent Master, personally felt this was a big deal". Okay lol.

quanchi112
Holy shit...so even when it's explained why it was a scandal at the time that gets translated into "you, Silent Master, personally felt this was a big deal". Okay lol. This isn't a scandal. Paying taxes on something this big isn't anything that doesn't happen. You and Sm will never have 7,000 so you're both upset.

Nephthys
If conservatives lost their minds at a black man being president, a black woman president would crack their heads open like a egg.

Silent Master
I never said it was a scandal or even complained about it, all I did was provide the facts.

Stop being so easily triggered.

quanchi112
Holy shit...so even when it's explained why it was a scandal at the time that gets translated into "you, Silent Master, personally felt this was a big deal". Okay lol.

I never said it was a scandal or even complained about it, all I did was provide the facts.

Stop being so easily triggered. Two guys who can't even agree except on 7,000 being a Ton of money to them.

Surtur
Originally posted by Nephthys
If conservatives lost their minds at a black man being president, a black woman president would crack their heads open like a egg.

And likewise if liberals lost their minds a woman lost to Trump...they would just suffer some kind of catatonia if he beat a black female president. We would need to put most of California on suicide watch.

quanchi112
And likewise if liberals lost their minds a woman lost to Trump...they would just suffer some kind of catatonia if he beat a black female president. We would need to put most of California on suicide watch. Conservatives find you disgusting but it's amusing to see you try to eat the scraps from their table. Literally.

Patient_Leech
I never watch Oprah's show so I honestly don't even know much about her.

Don't know how she feels about many topics.

Flyattractor
I didn't even know that The Oprah even still HAD a show after her Channel tanked.

Surtur
Anyone who is not in favor of Oprah running...well, to quote Oprah: They just have to die.

Oprah might run for president. We did the opposition research for you

Awesome, I hope she runs.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTBUXPJWAAAXJ3J.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTBUmcjX0AIqqx_.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTBUbGzW0AAafow.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTBUzGyW4AAmzr_.jpg

Oh she knew...she knew. I wonder how her anti vax shit would compare to trumps anti climate change shit. Some of the comments are hilarious if true:

"I’m still irked that when Entertainment Tonight had asked her about her experience of racism — she pointed to a saleswoman in Switzerland who offered to show her a less expensive (but still really, really expensive) version of a $35,000 handbag."

^^Just like the slaves suffered, just like it.

*Sits back and waits for the post to trigger people*

quanchi112
Shut up, Surtur.

Surtur
*Sits back and waits for the post to trigger people*

smile

Bashar Teg
2 years ago i would have said that oprah was unqualified, but since then i learned that being qualified is no longer a qualification.

quanchi112
smile We already knew you were a troll. You just confirmed the obvious.

CroftAlice
Everybody wants to rule the world now days.The question is : is she ready to make hard decissions when the time comes?

Robtard
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
2 years ago i would have said that oprah was unqualified, but since then i learned that being qualified is no longer a qualification.

She is unqualified, but she's more qualified than Trump as his qualifications were "I am a great businessman", considering she made her billions without a well connected influential millionaire father baking her up or a massive inheritance.

Personally, I hope she doesn't run, but it's hilarious how her hinting at it has the Trumpers all worked up and frothing.

Flyattractor
She is unqualified, but she's more qualified than Trump as his qualifications were "I am a great businessman", considering she made her billions without a well connected influential millionaire father baking her up or a massive inheritance.

Personally, I hope she doesn't run, but it's hilarious how her hinting at it has the Trumpers all worked up and frothing.

Ahhh nice to see Our Fave Leftist Loonies employ their HYPOCRISY towards this subject.

Would be fun to see how Oprah would handle an ACTUAL debate, especially seeing her little Golden Globes Speech. IF she goes into Politics She won't have that Hollywood Protected Status anymore.

Lord Lucien
Can't help thinking this will divide the states further along racial and gender lines. Of f*ck yeah... carve up the empire, split it apart.

Sin I AM

What qualifies a good leader though?

Nephthys
I'd say you'd need to be a good politician to be a good president at a bare minimum.

Robtard
Knowing the working of US politics is a good start.

That way we don't get smarmy smucks like Paul Ryan using the "he's new to politics, he doesn't know" as some sad-ass excuse for Trump's idiocy.

Surtur

Lol this is all well and good, and it would be fine if leftists hadn't whined about Trump lacking experience, then pounced like flies on shit about someone with no experience possibly running.

What reality do you occupy where this is rational?

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Nephthys
I'd say you'd need to be a good politician to be a good president at a bare minimum.
Knowing the working of US politics is a good start.

That way we don't get smarmy smucks like Paul Ryan using the "he's new to politics, he doesn't know" as some sad-ass excuse for Trump's idiocy.

With respect, i kinda think you both are wrong. Imo leadership does not require technical savvy. Its more akin to balancing while being honest and fair. Its also not about being liked but being respected amd knowing that your ultimate responsibility is to serve.

Afro Cheese
2 years ago i would have said that oprah was unqualified, but since then i learned that being qualified is no longer a qualification. 2 years ago you would have/did say the same thing about Trump. This only proves that you had no idea what you were talking about 2 years ago.

Surtur
This only proves that you had no idea what you were talking about 2 years ago.

And it proves nothing has changed in 2 years.

SquallX
The **** are you talking bout Reagan. You seem confused again.

Reagan was once a movie star. Pretty straight forward. No one believe he could transition form movie star to politician.

quanchi112
Reagan was not the moron known as Donald J. The dumbest president in US history by far.

Adam_PoE
He also retired from the film industry, and was the governor of California, before running for president. He did not go from hosting a television game show to the highest office in the country.

Bashar Teg
2 years ago you would have/did say the same thing about Trump. This only proves that you had no idea what you were talking about 2 years ago. oh look. trolly ad hominem dogshit because you can't challenge the point. eat a bag of dicks

Patient_Leech

laughing out loud

Personally I don't know much about Oprah, but I hope she doesn't run because the presidency shouldn't become a celebrity reality TV show. The presidency shouldn't be DIY Disasters with unqualified people vying for the top spot. Trump needs to be an exception, not the new rule.

Originally posted by Sin I AM
With respect, i kinda think you both are wrong. Imo leadership does not require technical savvy. Its more akin to ... knowing that your ultimate responsibility is to serve .

Fixed.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Patient_Leech

Personally I don't know much about Oprah, but I hope she doesn't run because the presidency shouldn't become a celebrity reality TV show. The presidency shouldn't be DIY Disasters with unqualified people vying for the top spot. Trump needs to be an exception, not the new rule.

couldn't agree more, unless said celebrity also had some experience in being a leader in government. ffs even sarah palin was technically qualified on that simple standard, unlike the trumpster fire. i think peter griffin put it best:

https://i.imgur.com/rYOihW0m.jpg

Robtard
Originally posted by SquallX
Reagan was once a movie star. Pretty straight forward. No one believe he could transition form movie star to politician.

You don't know Reagan then. edit: AdamPoE covered it for you:

He also retired from the film industry, and was the governor of California, before running for president. He did not go from hosting a television game show to the highest office in the country.

Should also be noted that he also didn't just jump from actor to governor either, he built his political career slowly. Got his feet wet before diving into the pool.

Bashar Teg
i think what oprah should do is run for senator or governor.

Robtard
i think what oprah should do is run for senator or governor.

^ That. Or start even lower, get some experience and see if politics is a good fit first.

What all these celebrities (Johnson, Zuckerberg, Kid Rock etc) who have hinted at running for POTUS should do, get experience points first.

Bashar Teg
it at least gives a person some frame of reference when contemplating the presidency. if trump were governor or senator (or mayor of east bumblef*ck wisconson) i'm sure he would have realized that he can't handle any job in lawmaking.

Patient_Leech
What other celebrity personalities should run for president?

I wanna see (in addition to Trump and Oprah)...

Gilbert Gotfried
Nicolas Cage

Who else?

Mindship
^ The Ghost of Andy Kaufman.

Regardless, we now know that anyone, truly, can be president.

it at least gives a person some frame of reference when contemplating the presidency. if trump were governor or senator (or mayor of east bumblef*ck wisconson) i'm sure he would have realized that he can't handle any job in lawmaking. Which is why, I wonder now, if perhaps a third requirement to be president should be added:

1. You have to be at least 35 yo.
2. You have to be a natural/born citizen.
3. You have to have held at least one prior office, like mayor of a large city.

#3 allows for experience: experience for the wanna-be politician, so that s/he knows what governing is like; and experience for the population: we know how that person would govern.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Mindship
Which is why, I wonder now, if perhaps a third requirement to be president should be added:

1. You have to be at least 35 yo.
2. You have to be a natural/born citizen.
3. You have to have held at least one prior office, like mayor of a large city.

#3 allows for experience: experience for the wanna-be politician, so that s/he knows what governing is like; and experience for the population: we know how that person would govern.

thumb up

Robtard
Though I still think having great business acumen could/would be a benefit to a world leader. Even if Trump's shitting all over the 'Business4POTUS'idea right now, he's probably just an outlier

Beniboybling
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
The presidency shouldn't be DIY Disasters with unqualified people vying for the top spot.thumb up laughing out loud

Afro Cheese
oh look. trolly ad hominem dogshit because you can't challenge the point. eat a bag of dicks Nothing I said was trolling or even remotely insulting. Grow some thicker skin.

Surtur
Nothing I said was trolling or even remotely insulting. Grow some thicker skin.

laughing

Afro Cheese
He also retired from the film industry, and was the governor of California, before running for president. He did not go from hosting a television game show to the highest office in the country. And at the time what he did was still somewhat unheard of, wasn't it? You people seem to rule out the idea that this is just where our culture has been headed for some time. The fact that guys like Jesse Ventura and Arnie managed to become governors says quite a lot.

Surtur

Robtard
You're really losing it over Oprah and she's not even formally announced her plans to run, if she even actually will. She could just be testing the waters with her hints. Could just be a stunt. Who really knows except her.

You should pace yourself in case she does though or you're going to have an even bigger meltdown over Oprah than you did with Clinton in 2016-2017 (not that you're really over her yet), considering Oprah's not only a woman, but a billionaire (you normally distrust these people), Black and part of the 'dreaded' Hollywood scene. Pace yourself, Surt.

Mindship
Though I still think having great business acumen could/would be a benefit to a world leader. Even if Trump's shitting all over the 'Business4POTUS'idea right now, he's probably just an outlier Perhaps so. Maybe even likely. But even before Trump, I was not impressed with ...

- Bloomberg as mayor of NYC. I can't speak for the rest of the city, but regarding how he ran the public schools? It was awful. Long story short: he had a brilliantly strategic operation in place for undermining the system. This included (one not-so brilliant moment of) hiring ...
- Kathy Black as school chancellor. Bloomberg himself said it best (regarding how she brought a magazine company back from the financial brink): "Anybody who can manage that can manage anything." So he hired her ... and she lasted 3 months: the shortest tenure of any chancellor. Horrific people skills.

I'm thinking, maybe this notion of business types ---> good politicians is one of those memes our culture embraces cuz it involves $$$, but really, it only looks good on paper (IMO, trickle-down economics is another).

People tagged onto Trump's *negotiation* skills as the means of translation from business to governing, but just because the same tool is used, it doesn't mean you're automatically going for the same ends. Business is very self-centric: the bottom-line is the bottom line, your (the businessperson's) bottom line. Politics is other-centric; you're a public servant, your interests should come last. This seems to be perhaps the chief problem for Trump. He can't make that *pivot*.

Bashar Teg
Nothing I said was trolling or even remotely insulting. Grow some thicker skin.

nah, you're just projection your fee-fees because i responded to your dishonest and weak ad-hominem bait with a naked insult, which i felt appropriate. also i don't feel like playing your "but i didn't do the thing i just did" game, so i guess you should maybe whore for someone else's attention.

cdtm
At this point, it wouldn't surprise me if Mr. "I'm gonna sit on the closed beach because I'm the Governor. TIME FOR ANOTHER BRIDGE SURVEY" Christie ran.

And won.

Robtard
Originally posted by Mindship
Perhaps so. Maybe even likely. But even before Trump, I was not impressed with ...

- Bloomberg as mayor of NYC. I can't speak for the rest of the city, but regarding how he ran the public schools? It was awful. Long story short: he had a brilliantly strategic operation in place for undermining the system. This included (one not-so brilliant moment of) hiring ...
- Kathy Black as school chancellor. Bloomberg himself said it best (regarding how she brought a magazine company back from the financial brink): "Anybody who can manage that can manage anything." So he hired her ... and she lasted 3 months: the shortest tenure of any chancellor. Horrific people skills.

I'm thinking, maybe this notion of business types ---> good politicians is one of those memes our culture embraces cuz it involves $$$, but really, it only looks good on paper (IMO, trickle-down economics is another).

People tagged onto Trump's *negotiation* skills as the means of translation from business to governing, but just because the same tool is used, it doesn't mean you're automatically going for the same ends. Business is very self-centric: the bottom-line is the bottom line, your (the businessperson's) bottom line. Politics is other-centric; you're a public servant, your interests should come last. This seems to be perhaps the chief problem for Trump. He can't make that *pivot*.

For sure, I wasn't implying that one only need to be a great business-mind. Just that having such would likely be more of a benefit than a hindrance if one is qualified all around to begin with, generally speaking.

Surtur
You're really losing it over Oprah and she's not even formally announced her plans to run, if she even actually will. She could just be testing the waters with her hints. Could just be a stunt. Who really knows except her.

You should pace yourself in case she does though or you're going to have an even bigger meltdown over Oprah than you did with Clinton in 2016-2017 (not that you're really over her yet), considering Oprah's not only a woman, but a billionaire (you normally distrust these people), Black and part of the 'dreaded' Hollywood scene. Pace yourself, Surt.

Ah yes, same old tactic. Top notch stuff.

Mindship
For sure, I wasn't implying that one only need to be a great business-mind. Just that having one would likely be more of a benefit than a hindrance if one is qualified all around, generally speaking. Agreed.

Robtard
Ah yes, same old tactic. Top notch stuff.

Play the same stupid games, win the same stupid prizes, sport.

Surtur
Play the same stupid games, win the same stupid prizes, sport.

Whatever way you need to cope, go for it.

Afro Cheese
nah, you're just projection your fee-fees because i responded to your dishonest and weak ad-hominem bait with a naked insult, which i felt appropriate. also i don't feel like playing your "but i didn't do the thing i just did" game, so i guess you should maybe whore for someone else's attention. There was nothing dishonest or ad hominem about it. You just instinctively go into battle mode anytime anyone online disagrees with you or questions your reasoning.

Bashar Teg
oh?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.