Age-related fluid intelligence loss-what can we do about it?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kurk
So here's something I'm pretty afraid of (and so should you): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3890570/

https://examinedexistence.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/crystallized-fluid-842x560.jpg

Basically (it should come as no surprise) our IQs and overall reasoning abilities drop after our early twenties.

What's scary is that there doesn't appear to be much that we can do about it.

Of course I don't take no as an answer so entertain me with your thoughts.

So of course it now makes sense why engineers and software developers get laid off after the age of 35 if they're not placed into management level positions. As someone interested in such fields, I'm pretty discouraged. I'm at the prime of my fluid intelligence, which while above average, is not gifted level and won't compensate for loss of fluid intelligence later in life.

The Ellimist
I mean there are probably various inflection points where the loss in fluid intelligence outweighs gains in crystallized intelligence + domain specific aptitude + wisdom and experience + accumulated resources, depending on the particular area.

The good news is that by the time the drop-off is significant to the point where you can't just move into management or something, you'll probably already be able to retire, and if we've survived that long the technological playing field will be completely different, perhaps also in medicine and cognitive enhancement options.

Kurk
Aging sucks sad

Flyattractor
Next you will try to tell us that Water is WET!

Mindship
There was a time gray matter was considered inflexible past a given age. Now we know better.

Got a skill you wanna hold onto? Use it or lose it. Aging is inevitable (death aside); aging faster isn't.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Kurk
Aging sucks sad Save your money and don't focus on this. Managing your money is more important than finding a great job more often than not. It's like a gym rat who doesn't primarily focus on diet which is more important with weight loss than the exercising itself. We lose testosterone, motor skills, intelligence, etc. Do not sit paralyzed in fear over our own mortality and declining abilities with age. Instead focus on what you want to do with your time and what makes you happy. Success doesn't equate to happiness anyways once your basic needs are taken care of.

cdtm
So what the Op is really saying, is nobody over 20 should be president.

Works for me.

cdtm
So here's something I'm pretty afraid of (and so should you): https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3890570/

https://examinedexistence.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/crystallized-fluid-842x560.jpg

Basically (it should come as no surprise) our IQs and overall reasoning abilities drop after our early twenties.

What's scary is that there doesn't appear to be much that we can do about it.

Of course I don't take no as an answer so entertain me with your thoughts.

So of course it now makes sense why engineers and software developers get laid off after the age of 35 if they're not placed into management level positions. As someone interested in such fields, I'm pretty discouraged. I'm at the prime of my fluid intelligence, which while above average, is not gifted level and won't compensate for loss of fluid intelligence later in life.

I doubt that's reason they lay someone off.

More likely, it's all about salary resets. Coders are a dime a dozen, so why finance someone's retirement or deal with age related problems if you don't have to?

Kurk
Originally posted by quanchi112
Save your money and don't focus on this. Managing your money is more important than finding a great job more often than not. It's like a gym rat who doesn't primarily focus on diet which is more important with weight loss than the exercising itself. We lose testosterone, motor skills, intelligence, etc. Do not sit paralyzed in fear over our own mortality and declining abilities with age. Instead focus on what you want to do with your time and what makes you happy. Success doesn't equate to happiness anyways once your basic needs are taken care of.
Wise words of advice, Quanchi-senpai, but like Sheev, I have an unhealthy interest in immortality and anti-aging science. As dumb as it may sound, it's one the biggest reasons why I am considering majoring in biochemistry.

I agree that money management is imperative; that is why in addition to being a complete skinflint, I refuse to fall into the trap of pursuing unnecessary higher education when there is no guarantee to a better income than had you not.

The force will guide me; the force shall set me free.

cdtm
Sounds wise to me. An interest in immorality is definitely a must in this world. Morality gets you nowhere. thumb up

JKBart
Originally posted by quanchi112
Success doesn't equate to happiness anyways once your basic needs are taken care of.

this tbh

The Ellimist
Wise words of advice, Quanchi-senpai, but like Sheev, I have an unhealthy interest in immortality and anti-aging science. As dumb as it may sound, it's one the biggest reasons why I am considering majoring in biochemistry.

I wouldn't be surprised if we cracked that in our lifetime tbh.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.