Games where you're the villain

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
Inspired by Undertales "genocide route".

Anything in gaming where you play the bad guy attacking innocent people. GTA type systems don't count, it needs to have a built in narrative.

Jmanghan
Hatred.

Kazenji
The Overlord games are an obvious one

Postal games.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Kazenji
The Overlord games are an obvious one

Postal games. Nah, Postal you can beat the game without ever doing anything bad to anyone.

https://i.imgur.com/GVh4j9s.jpg

KingD19
Fable 3(if you don't cheat). You overthrow your brother, despite him telling you he's essentially a despot for a good reason. You don't listen though, and once you become King, you realize you have to adventure like Hell, or tax the ever loving shit out of your Kingdom and lie to allies you made promises to just to have enough money to survive the darkness(like turning an orphanage into a child factory instead of renovating it). So you essentially become just as bad as your brother, for just as good a reason.

Surtur
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre on Atari lol.

KingD19
Friday the 13th when you play Jason.

Heavy Rain.

BackFire
Braid.

Robtard
Originally posted by KingD19
Fable 3(if you don't cheat). You overthrow your brother, despite him telling you he's essentially a despot for a good reason. You don't listen though, and once you become King, you realize you have to adventure like Hell, or tax the ever loving shit out of your Kingdom and lie to allies you made promises to just to have enough money to survive the darkness(like turning an orphanage into a child factory instead of renovating it). So you essentially become just as bad as your brother, for just as good a reason.

Speaking of Fable, there's talk we might get a 4th game:

https://www.cnet.com/news/microsofts-reportedly-ready-to-revive-the-fable-franchise/

cdtm
I guess this is a cheat, but City of Villains. smile

Nemesis X
Stubbs the Zombie.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Nah, Postal you can beat the game without ever doing anything bad to anyone.

That's more or less up to the person

so really you can be an evil prick to everyone in that game.

Jmanghan
That's more or less up to the person

so really you can be an evil prick to everyone in that game. He was asking for games that force you down the villain path. "GTA type systems don't count, it needs to have a built in narrative."

Kazenji
He was asking for games that force you down the villain path. "GTA type systems don't count, it needs to have a built in narrative."

Okay then Postal 1.

Nephthys
Assassins Creed III (fvck Connor)

Bioshock Infinite (lol)

Spec Ops: The Line

Tyranny

Adam Grimes
GTAV does count. Trevor is a disgusting person both in gameplay and narrative. Michael is too.

KingD19
Destroy All Humans.

Surtur
Originally posted by Robtard
Speaking of Fable, there's talk we might get a 4th game:

https://www.cnet.com/news/microsofts-reportedly-ready-to-revive-the-fable-franchise/

Would be cool, IMO Fable 2 is the best of the series for now. Followed by Fable Lost Chapters.

Impediment
Heavy Rain.

Surtur
Halloween- Atari

Oh that "Evil Genius" game too.

Kazenji
Assassins Creed: Rogue.

Nemesis X
Battlefront 2's campaign. For, like, 3 levels facepalm

Kazenji
Yeah...her reasoning is kinda stupid

she's been working for the Empire that long and she's oblivous to what the Empire gets up to.... erm

Jmanghan
Destroy All Humans! was a good one.

Surtur
Rampage.

cdtm
Okay then Postal 1.

He was a f'n hero. Cleaning up society, at the root.

cdtm
A.D.O.M (The ASCII Roguelike) apparently has a scenerio where you can become a Chaos God.

And then a hero comes and vanquish's you. laughing out loud

The Lost
Originally posted by Nephthys

Tyranny

Surtur
Tyranny is a great game.

cdtm
Shadow of the Colossus.

Adam Grimes
Dishonored dlc.

Jmanghan
Deus Ex: Invisible War.

Jmanghan
Shadow of the Colossus.

You kill a bunch of innocent sacred creatures just to bring your GF back to life and nearly destroy the world in the process.

Maybe you didn't realize you were being misled, but the point is you still killed innocent creatures for your own personal game.

Jmanghan
One more:

Dark Messiah of Might & Magic.

StiltmanFTW
Jmango III: Killer Movies Community

Awesome game.

cdtm
Hitman.

-Pr-
Originally posted by cdtm
Hitman.

Can't say I agree. Almost everyone 47 kills is a decisively shit Human being. He's a lesser evil at worst.

Originally posted by Nephthys
Spec Ops: The Line

thumb up

==

Xenomorph campaigns in the Aliens games.

Zerg campaigns in the Starcraft games.

Chaos in 40K games.

Surtur
Games like Infamous you can be the villain if you want.

Same for KOTOR.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Surtur
Games like Infamous you can be the villain if you want.

Same for KOTOR.

But with those ones you don't get forced down those paths.

cdtm
No one mentioned Prototype yet?

I mean you eat people and everything. And Alex becomes the main antagonist of the sequel.

Jmanghan
Divine Divinity...?...

You become the final boss of Divinity: Original Sin 2.

That counts kind of I think.

Tzeentch
Call of Duty 1, 2, 3 and WaW
Battlefield 1942
Medal of Honor
Wolfenstein
Duke nukem

Surtur
But with those ones you don't get forced down those paths.

That's fair. What about the legacy of kain games

StyleTime
Hell yeah. Legacy of Kain. Great series, although Soul Reaver 2 and Blood Omen 2 could use work.

I think they envisioned Kain as more of an anti-hero than a villain though. That said, he is an antagonist at different points.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by StyleTime
Great series, although Soul Reaver 2 and Blood Omen 2 could use work.

What is your problem with SR2? no expression no expression no expression no expression no expression

cdtm
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW

What is your problem with SR2? no expression no expression no expression no expression no expression

It's not Ninja Gaiden.

Same problem as every game of that era.

Kazenji
Originally posted by StyleTime
Blood Omen 2 could use work.

That might be the weakest entry into the franchise at least it's still more fun then other games out there

Not sure what's wrong about Soul Reaver 2, Seems to be still good to me. But the first Soul Reaver could be improved. Such as a better save system for starters, Doesn't matter where you save it still takes you back to the beginning area of the game

apparently there's a remake happening too.

StiltmanFTW
Soul Reaver 1 has plenty of glitches when played on new operating systems (and even those not-so-new, lol), but - admittedly - I haven't tried all the patches, so I assume some of them could mitigate the problem:

https://www.thelostworlds.net/Software/Soul_Reaver_PC_Patch_for_XP_and_Vista.html

Soul Reaver 2 has aged greatly in comparison, aside from crashing sometimes. Looks great on widescreen, no audio problems.

Guess it's a bit like apples and oranges. I like SR2 better.

cdtm
That might be the weakest entry into the franchise at least it's still more fun then other games out there

Not sure what's wrong about Soul Reaver 2, Seems to be still good to me. But the first Soul Reaver could be improved. Such as a better save system for starters, Doesn't matter where you save it still takes you back to the beginning area of the game

apparently there's a remake happening too.

Devil May Cry had the same save system.

Probably intentionally to introduce "fake difficulty", there's no real technical limitation on why they did it.

StiltmanFTW
Sometimes they do that deliberately so players will spend more time playing the game/appreciate it more by needing to replay certain levels.

It has its pros and cons, same with quicksaving at any desirable moment --- which makes games too easy.

cdtm
On the plus side, it also makes it easier to farm currency.

Kazenji
Soul Reaver 1 has plenty of glitches when played on new operating systems (and even those not-so-new, lol), but - admittedly - I haven't tried all the patches, so I assume some of them could mitigate the problem:

https://www.thelostworlds.net/Software/Soul_Reaver_PC_Patch_for_XP_and_Vista.html

Oh the patches work good for Soul Reaver 1 on PC

go here for patches

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Legacy_of_Kain:_Soul_Reaver

You can get the game running at 60 fps and a few other things with a patch, I also needed a patch so i can use my Logitech F310

after all that the game is great on Win 10.

Surtur
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Stubbs the Zombie.

I have this on xbox and the funny thing is I found my copy of it the other day while cleaning.

Jmanghan
Devil May Cry had the same save system.

Probably intentionally to introduce "fake difficulty", there's no real technical limitation on why they did it. Why was DMC's save system so bad? It let you save before every level and I think during if you found the statues. (Though maybe thats just the later games.)

I don't think that's a poor save system at all. It also had checkpoints.

Surtur
The only DMC game I remember where the save system truly got a lot of complaints was DMC 3. To the point where they put out a special edition of the game.

Jmanghan
Divine Divinity...?...

You become the final boss of Divinity: Original Sin 2.

That counts kind of I think. Lemme explain a bit more for thos unaware.

In "Divine Divinity" it's the very first game of the ENTIRE Divinity franchise released in 2002, the protagonist and person you play as in "Divine Divinity" is someone you Divinity vets may know as Lucian the Divine. Yup Barbarian boi became Lucian the Divine, the eventual final boss of Divinity: OS II.

I mean Divinity II takes place AFTER Divinity: OS II, so he EVENTUALLY becomes a "good guy" again, but still, a lot of the stuff he did was extremely shitty.

So yeah, I explained because I figured no one would make the connection as majority of people who've played the Original Sin games haven't played most of the OG Divinity titles, and even if you've played Divinity II, probably even less of you have played Divine Divinity.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Surtur
The only DMC game I remember where the save system truly got a lot of complaints was DMC 3. To the point where they put out a special edition of the game. What was wrong with DMC3? I never got to play the original (and don't imagine why I'd want to now-a-days, honestly, save system aside.)

cdtm
Why was DMC's save system so bad? It let you save before every level and I think during if you found the statues. (Though maybe thats just the later games.)

I don't think that's a poor save system at all. It also had checkpoints.

Don't remember any checkpoints, Not in the PS2 version.

It sets you all the way back to the start of the level. The only thing you keep is some unlocks and orbs.

Jmanghan
Don't remember any checkpoints, Not in the PS2 version.

It sets you all the way back to the start of the level. The only thing you keep is some unlocks and orbs. I absolutely remember there being checkpoints if you lost to a boss specifically.

Edit: nvm, you right. That's weird though, I coulda sworn they had checkpoints.

Smasandian
Not sure this has been said but pretty much every single GTA main character you play (aside from maybe Franklin).

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Smasandian
Not sure this has been said but pretty much every single GTA main character you play (aside from maybe Franklin). What about the contract killings you get from Lester? Would that not make him a villain? You are eventually forced to do them to progress, and Franklin in the story is doing them willingly for money, despite not knowing these people. I mean assuming we're going by a rule that "Franklin only killed people in self-defense or killed people that tried to kill him first."

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.