Garfield spider-man vs Tobey spider-man

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

steverules_2

Surtur
Tobey Spidey wins. IMO he's stronger than the Garfield version, so I'd think anyone Garfield could take down he could as well.

Garfield, on the other hand, is screwed because he has no way to deal with Sandman.

BruceSkywalker
Spidey wins lol

KingD19
If roles are swapped, Garfield Spidey does a whole lot better. He's several times faster than Tobey, and strong/tough enough to go through most if not all of what he did. The key difference is Garfield Spidey is an actual genius, while Tobey Spidey was just a photographer.

Surtur
Originally posted by KingD19
If roles are swapped, Garfield Spidey does a whole lot better. He's several times faster than Tobey, and strong/tough enough to go through most if not all of what he did. The key difference is Garfield Spidey is an actual genius, while Tobey Spidey was just a photographer.

This just isn't correct. Tobey was portrayed as very smart. Remember his interactions with Doc Ock(before he turned evil)?

And Garfield has no way to deal with Sandman.

KingD19
Originally posted by Surtur
This just isn't correct. Tobey was portrayed as very smart. Remember his interactions with Doc Ock(before he turned evil)?

And Garfield has no way to deal with Sandman.

I completely forgot he actually had some scientific exploits. It wasn't shown all that much aside from the second movie was it?

He can deal with Sandman the same way Tobey did, unless it's not the exact same fight parameters.

Arachnid1
If roles are swapped, Garfield Spidey does a whole lot better. He's several times faster than Tobey, and strong/tough enough to go through most if not all of what he did. The key difference is Garfield Spidey is an actual genius, while Tobey Spidey was just a photographer. I actually agree with this. Garfield may be the weakest Spidey but he's still the fastest and most agile by a large margin. Tobey's villains will have a hard time tagging him, and he can wear them down with the exception of Sandman. If ANY of Tobeys villains do get their hands on Garfield though, he's in for a world of hurt. Garfield was also far smarter than Tobey so he should be able to outsmart Sandman in the same situation if Tobey could. Tobey's not an idiot, but he rarely used smarts in his fights.

Tobey, on the other hand, cant really do anything to Electro. I cant see him coming up with the entire power grid idea to overload him, so Electro would probably kill him.

Strength wise he's probably a bit more even with Lizard so I don't see him getting stomped as hard as Garfield did, but those claws can do some damage if they connect and the Lizard was fast enough to keep up with Garfield so he's got that going for him. I don't think either of them can really beat Lizard, but both probably manage to at least survive the encounters and the movie.

As for the two Harry Goblins, Tobey's Harry was actually a lot more maneuverable, stronger, and durable. Garfields Harry did as well as he did because it was close quarters so he had easy access to Garfield who was always just a few feet away, but he got KOed relatively easily. Close quarters with Tobey's Spidey, who is way stronger than Garfield would be a disadvantage for him, so Tobey would probably knock him out. Garfield may be able to outsmart Tobeys Harry similar to how Tobey did too. He's in a more open area which is probably more of an advantage for Garfield since it lets him utilize his speed and agility more. His speed also gives him the win here.

As for Norman Goblin, I don't think Garfield does as well here. Norman tended to utilize the civilians around him to lure Spidey into traps and leave him in vulnerable situations. Take the cable car/MJ predicament that left Tobey completely open to his beating for example. Take away Garfield's speed and maneuverability, and he gets beat to high heaven, and he cant take it the way Tobey could. IF Garfield can make it to the 1v1 encounter at the very end, he may be able to take it through speed alone, but I don't see him getting there.

Ock, on the other hand, is screwed. He had a hard time really catching Tobey Spidey. A faster and more agile Spidey would beat him relatively easily.

Lastly, you have the Sandman/Venom fight, which once again forces Spidey to interact with them. If Garfield was allowed to just dodge around the entire fight, he'd be able to survive, but Venom has MJ so Garfield has to close the gap. If either Venom or Sandman get their hands or webs on him, it's over. I don't think he survives here.

tl:dr
Neither really beat Lizard IMO but both manage to survive their encounters and movies.

Garfield loses to Norman Goblin, but beats Ock, Harry, and solo Sandman with the whole pressure pipe idea. He loses to Venom and Sandman together though, since I doubt he survives to Harry getting there.

Tobey loses to Electro but beats the hell out of Harry Goblin. Conisdering this all happens in a sequence though, he never makes it to the Harry Goblin encounter. I suppose that also applies to Garfield and Norman though.

Surtur
I completely forgot he actually had some scientific exploits. It wasn't shown all that much aside from the second movie was it?

In the first movie it talks about him winning some prestigious science award too.

If it's the same place where the Venom and Sandman showdown took place then Garfield has no chance. Tobey beat Sandman when he was in a sewer and could get him in the water. In the final battle at the end of the movie Tobey didn't defeat Sandman. Rather their personal connection(Sandman killed Uncle Ben) ended up causing Sandman to just willingly leave.

steverules_2

John Murdoch
Originally posted by Arachnid1
I actually agree with this. Garfield may be the weakest Spidey but he's still the fastest and most agile by a large margin. Tobey's villains will have a hard time tagging him, and he can wear them down with the exception of Sandman. If ANY of Tobeys villains do get their hands on Garfield though, he's in for a world of hurt. Garfield was also far smarter than Tobey so he should be able to outsmart Sandman in the same situation if Tobey could. Tobey's not an idiot, but he rarely used smarts in his fights.

Tobey, on the other hand, cant really do anything to Electro. I cant see him coming up with the entire power grid idea to overload him, so Electro would probably kill him.

Strength wise he's probably a bit more even with Lizard so I don't see him getting stomped as hard as Garfield did, but those claws can do some damage if they connect and the Lizard was fast enough to keep up with Garfield so he's got that going for him. I don't think either of them can really beat Lizard, but both probably manage to at least survive the encounters and the movie.

As for the two Harry Goblins, Tobey's Harry was actually a lot more maneuverable, stronger, and durable. Garfields Harry did as well as he did because it was close quarters so he had easy access to Garfield who was always just a few feet away, but he got KOed relatively easily. Close quarters with Tobey's Spidey, who is way stronger than Garfield would be a disadvantage for him, so Tobey would probably knock him out. Garfield may be able to outsmart Tobeys Harry similar to how Tobey did too. He's in a more open area which is probably more of an advantage for Garfield since it lets him utilize his speed and agility more. His speed also gives him the win here.

As for Norman Goblin, I don't think Garfield does as well here. Norman tended to utilize the civilians around him to lure Spidey into traps and leave him in vulnerable situations. Take the cable car/MJ predicament that left Tobey completely open to his beating for example. Take away Garfield's speed and maneuverability, and he gets beat to high heaven, and he cant take it the way Tobey could. IF Garfield can make it to the 1v1 encounter at the very end, he may be able to take it through speed alone, but I don't see him getting there.

Ock, on the other hand, is screwed. He had a hard time really catching Tobey Spidey. A faster and more agile Spidey would beat him relatively easily.

Lastly, you have the Sandman/Venom fight, which once again forces Spidey to interact with them. If Garfield was allowed to just dodge around the entire fight, he'd be able to survive, but Venom has MJ so Garfield has to close the gap. If either Venom or Sandman get their hands or webs on him, it's over. I don't think he survives here.

tl:dr
Neither really beat Lizard IMO but both manage to survive their encounters and movies.

Garfield loses to Norman Goblin, but beats Ock, Harry, and solo Sandman with the whole pressure pipe idea. He loses to Venom and Sandman together though, since I doubt he survives to Harry getting there.

Tobey loses to Electro but beats the hell out of Harry Goblin. Conisdering this all happens in a sequence though, he never makes it to the Harry Goblin encounter. I suppose that also applies to Garfield and Norman though.

thumb up Agreed.

The instances Maguire used his durability and/or strength to win the day, Garfield gets beat. Though he has the car catch feat from ASM1 under his belt, Tobey (and Holland) have him in brute strength, and Tobey dominates in the durability department. Garfield, however, not only possessed really high end superhuman reactions, agility, and speed, but also used these talents with his web shooters. The fight with Lizard in ASM1 at the high school is mainly what I'm talking about: webbing Lizard up from multiple angles vs just webbing him up or shooting a webline right at him. How would Green Goblin fair vs getting 50 weblines anchored to varying points in the run-down building of SM1's finale?

The instances Garfield used his uber-agility and almost-speedster level speed to win the day, Maguire has more wiggle room, but most likely still gets beat. Maguire had some insane agility and reaction feats (high school slow-motion fight against Flash in SM1, swinging through the train cars at the beginning of SM2, and diving through the falling crane to catch Gwen in SM3), which could save him vs Lizard and Electro. Tobey also was able to hit Sandman with water and figure out how to use what looked like steel pipes to create a sound container to separate the symbiote from Eddie Brock (steel pipes that he threw into concrete), both occurring in 3. However, if Tobey does his "swing into action, start fighting head-on" tactic, Lizard slashes him up and down. Also, some people are getting fried by Electro in the Times Square battle in ASM2, and I don't see Tobey getting through the Pharrell music-powered grid vs Electro in the finale.

Great thread, steverules.

h1a8
Speed is king.
I love Toby the best but logic says that Garfield does the best.
Toby is almost as fast. There were a few scenes where bullets were moving very slowly. Also the flies wings were flapping hundreds if not thousands of times slower.

John Murdoch
Originally posted by h1a8
Speed is king.
I love Toby the best but logic says that Garfield does the best.
Toby is almost as fast. There were a few scenes where bullets were moving very slowly. Also the flies wings were flapping hundreds if not thousands of times slower.

Yep yep yep.

The main issue I see with Tobey's clearing this is that, while he has the slo-mo scenes and the dodging bank vault doors while saving Aunt May scenes and the getting pummeled by Sandman against a steel beam scenes, he has instances where he punches people like the thugs assaulting MJ in SM1 in the alley and the bouncers at the jazz club in SM3 and doesn't take their heads clean off. Very action hero up-and-down performance stuff.

EDIT: Sentence structure.

steverules_2

John Murdoch

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.