Kickstarter and Crowd-Funded Indies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Digi
Stepping away from mainstream and even established indie companies and writers, have any of you ever help to crowd-fund an individual comic project? What was the experience like? Was it delivered on time? And good?

I've never helped to fund a comic, but in the board game world this practice is becoming increasingly common. In the past I've backed a handful of gaming projects, with mixed - though mostly positive - results.

The impetus for this thread is a local friend who co-wrote a comic that just launched on Kickstarter. I don't know a ton about it, though it seems interesting, and I'm on a spending hiatus that will prevent me from backing. But it occurred to me that I don't see many such threads on this board. It's very much a two-party system, whereas other industries (again, using board games as an example) will have message boards filled with creators announcing their projects.

I have another friend who managed to find an established publisher for his one-off graphic novel, An Elegy for Amelia Johnson. Not quite the same as crowd-funding, but similarly "super indie." It wasn't anything resembling superhero fare. I enjoyed it, but it probably works best as a YA graphic novel, as it's overtly sentimental.

The whole enterprise doesn't seem especially lucrative; it was the only one he wrote and I don't believe he has plans for another. And I know board game creators with multiple successful Kickstarters, but who still have day jobs. But I suppose it's cool to see your work in print.

Anyway, other stories? Good reads you found through such methods?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.