Will a third party ever be viable in the states?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
Everyone complains about the two party system. Everyone claims they're out if touch with common interests. The base of both parties basically claim they hate their own party, and only vote for the lesser of two evils.

What will it take to get a third party going, then? The masses outnumber these goofs in power, yet we keep voting them in?

Kurk
If a political party gets 5% of the national vote they receive 9.5 million in funding from the government, or something along those lines.

So to answer the question, definitely, although not anytime soon.

I'm looking at you millenials and generation z.

jaden101
*waits for the "I'm a libertarian" snobbish asshats to show up*

Surtur
Not until more people realize both parties are bad for the country. We're a long way from that. Far too many people on either side suffer from one of two delusions:

-They think their party is perfect
-They don't think their party is perfect, but think it vastly superior to the opposition

Until those delusions are set aside we're stuck with this.

snowdragon
Originally posted by jaden101

Haha look at this guy bagging on third parties in a conversation about bringing more choice. Happy Dance

BackFire
I think the 2016 election was probably about as perfect a time for a viable third party option as you're going to get anytime soon. Two very unpopular candidates as the nominees for the main parties. Would have been a perfect time for a high quality third party candidate to come in and really have a chance. Unfortunately, we ended up with Jill Stein who is a loon and some bumbling dude.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by jaden101
Originally posted by snowdragon
Haha look at this guy bagging on third parties in a conversation about bringing more choice. Happy Dance

hook, line, and sinker.

Surtur
Originally posted by BackFire
I think the 2016 election was probably about as perfect a time for a viable third party option as you're going to get anytime soon. Two very unpopular candidates as the nominees for the main parties. Would have been a perfect time for a high quality third party candidate to come in and really have a chance. Unfortunately, we ended up with Jill Stein who is a loon and some bumbling dude.

Indeed, weren't Trump and Clinton the two most unpopular candidates in American history?

It is deeply disturbing those were our choices.

Kurk
Originally posted by BackFire
I think the 2016 election was probably about as perfect a time for a viable third party option as you're going to get anytime soon. Two very unpopular candidates as the nominees for the main parties. Would have been a perfect time for a high quality third party candidate to come in and really have a chance. Unfortunately, we ended up with Jill Stein who is a loon and some bumbling dude. https://i.imgflip.com/1aclb3.jpg

BackFire
Originally posted by Surtur
Indeed, weren't Trump and Clinton the two most unpopular candidates in American history?

It is deeply disturbing those were our choices.

Yes, I believe so.

Shame we didn't have a good third party option. I think they probably would have done very well.

snowdragon
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
hook, line, and sinker.

so much win, bingo.

Robtard
Here's hoping that Trump causes so much embarrassment with the Republican party that they split in two and I'm not just talking about something like the teabagger wingnuts, but a legit schism.

Bashar Teg
so much win, bingo. booty-bothered?

snowdragon
booty-bothered?

Nope, you legit got me.

Bashar Teg
because i was totally claiming that, and not commenting on how eagerly you took the cheap bait. fanny-frustration confirmed.

snowdragon
because i was totally claiming that, and not commenting on how easily you took the cheap bait. fanny-frustration confirmed.

Lulz, ok trolling noted, great job. You can sleep easy now that I was cordial in my response.

Bashar Teg
it was jaden101 who posted the bait which so offended you personally, not me. relax, friend.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by cdtm
Everyone complains about the two party system. Everyone claims they're out if touch with common interests. The base of both parties basically claim they hate their own party, and only vote for the lesser of two evils.

What will it take to get a third party going, then? The masses outnumber these goofs in power, yet we keep voting them in?

only when people start voting for people based on individual merits and not along party lines

snowdragon
it was jaden101 who posted the bait which so offended you personally, not me. relax, friend.

I am relaxed, I'm not offended. Your goal is to troll and it's slightly amusing. Especially after a concession and you still try............. laughing

Bashar Teg
there's also the risk of deluding your voter base against a solidified right or left.

Bashar Teg
I am relaxed, I'm not offended. Your goal is to troll and it's slightly amusing. Especially after a concession and you still try............. laughing ah good, then we are both amused presently.

snowdragon
there's also the risk of deluding your voter base against a solidified right or left.

I agree with this, it's not like we have a right and wrong. We just have a program in place that makes it easy to support a side rather than policy.

Sin I AM

all it would take is an everyman. someone that can appeal to every1 with zero affiliation

Sin I AM
maybe someone who is universally loved with a squaeky clean image or a relative unknown john doe

snowdragon
Originally posted by Sin I AM
all it would take is an everyman. someone that can appeal to every1 with zero affiliation

We are always going to have an affiliation though. We create cultures to align with our beliefs. The best we can hope for is someone that can look to understand cultural divides and put that as a precedent for our future with a policy that supports that.

Sin I AM
We are always going to have an affiliation though. We create cultures to align with our beliefs. The best we can hope for is someone that can look to understand cultural divides and put that as a precedent for our future with a policy that supports that.

true. but im suggesting something along the messiah lines. we will always have fringes, but if we can find someone who has that universal appeal without being part of anything in particular.

snowdragon
true. but im suggesting something along the messiah lines. we will always have fringes, but if we can find someone who has that universal appeal without being part of anything in particular.

Do we want a "messiah" though where we don't question them because they are above us? I feel where you are coming from but if we put someone on a pedestal and create that omnibenevolent dictator I don't think we'll get the results you hope for.

Then again you haven't explained your end game so it might be good for you.

Flyattractor
Well the last 8 years we had a "Messiah". Things didn't work out to well with that one....

Surtur
Originally posted by Robtard
Here's hoping that Trump causes so much embarrassment with the Republican party that they split in two and I'm not just talking about something like the teabagger wingnuts, but a legit schism.

Indeed, I'm hoping the embarrassment the left is causing themselves has the Dems do something similar.

Blindside12
Trump was a third party candidate, People Just have not figured that out yet.

Regardless of how much you hate him, hate his hair, how "fat he is" how dumb he is, he outsmarted 18 GOP candidates, and according to outsmarted according to Barack Obama "The smartest most qualified person to ever run for office."

Trump is getting shit done, and people hate him for it. Tough cookies.

Liberals believe if you decide to jump the border, or over stay your visa, you deserve to be an American, sorry, thats just not the way it works. This is mainly why they hate Trump. When the wall starts going up the hate will get worse.

Bashar Teg
all it would take is an everyman. someone that can appeal to every1 with zero affiliation we already got bernie and he chose (imho wisely) to not run 3rd party after the dnc/schultz ratf*ckery.

the trouble is that any popular 3rd party candidate is realistically going to cannibalize their base and strengthen the opponent's chance of winning, since 9999/10000 lean on one side of the political spectrum.

Sin I AM
Do we want a "messiah" though where we don't question them because they are above us? I feel where you are coming from but if we put someone on a pedestal and create that omnibenevolent dictator I don't think we'll get the results you hope for.

Then again you haven't explained your end game so it might be good for you.

messiah like....onlyin the universal appeal regards, not the he can do no wrong shtick. Originally posted by Bashar Teg
we already got bernie and he chose (imho wisely) to not run 3rd party after the dnc/schultz ratf*ckery.

the trouble is that any popular 3rd party candidate is realistically going to cannibalize their base and strengthen the opponent's chance of winning, since 9999/10000 lean on one side of the political spectrum.

bernie imo was too old. the person should be young, relatively speaking,

Robtard
Originally posted by Surtur
Indeed, I'm hoping the embarrassment the left is causing themselves has the Dems do something similar.

^ Always finding ways to cope with reality

Robtard

bernie imo was too old. the person should be young, relatively speaking,

Gavin "Slick" Newsom

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/847482692467802112/tr2EcQus_400x400.jpg

Blindside12
^ Always finding ways to cope with reality

I think you have difficulty coping with the reality of Trump's presidency which is why you lash out here 12 hours a day.

Robtard
Are you going to follow me around again and attack me in every thread I post in today?

Darkstorm Zero
http://www.oldsaltys.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Logo-Main.png

Bashar Teg
https://i.imgur.com/uzM4iBX.gif

dadudemon
Gavin "Slick" Newsom

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/847482692467802112/tr2EcQus_400x400.jpg

What a handsome person. Looks like a better looking version of Bradley Cooper.

Edit - Lt Gov. of CA. Democrat. So now you'll say he raped someone, right? Because I complimented him and now it's time for someone to say, "He's bad because x."

lazybones
It's fairly unlikely, at least in the short-medium term. Reasons:

FPTP electoral system which makes it hard to depose entrenched major parties
Big money which bankrolls both major parties and keeps them afloat
Gerrymandering which creates many ultra-safe districts for GOP/Dems
Spoiler effect, the danger of which could scare voters into abandoning third parties in close two way races
Structural disadvantages. Democrats and Republicans are heavily entrenched with much of the infrastructure needed for a campaign already in place for them. Insurgent third parties would not have this luxury.
Lack of talent and unifying figure(s) needed to bring together the rather broad range of people who are sick of the two-party system
Corporate and partisan media oligopolies which could deny third parties publicity if they ever became a threat
15% polling average needed to qualify for debate, which no third party achieved in the 2016 race despite record unpopularity of the Dem/GOP candidates.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.