Rakatan Star Destroyers vs Imperial Star Destroyers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthAnt66
"When the Sith were led by Darth Revan and Darth Malak, the Sith armies used the ancient Star Forge to create a fleet of warships that rivaled modern Star Destroyers in size and power."

-- Star Wars: The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology

The Ellimist
As discussed, we've seen Malak's starfleet and he doesn't have ISD sized ships. This means that either:

1. The quote is wrong

2. The quote isn't referencing imperial star destroyers

3. The quote is referencing star destroyers that were destroyed offscreen or otherwise not shown anywhere

AncientPower
How do we know that? We only got ship size estimates in the RPG and those have been repeatedly incorrect.

Haschwalth
Funnily enough, Malak's ship was causing comparable level of explosions via, lazers to the 200GT quote for Star destroyer turbo lazers. While razing taris.

Kurk
@Zenwolf

AncientPower
He'll have an aneurysm.

Makes sense though, Rakatan tech is massively ahead of anything else we've seen outside of Iokath and the Gree.

JKBart
ISD stomps lol

The Ellimist
Originally posted by AncientPower
How do we know that? We only got ship size estimates in the RPG and those have been repeatedly incorrect.

We see them in KotOR lol. Even Malak's personal flagship is puny.

Haschwalth
The leviathan is 600 meters.

The Ellimist
Originally posted by Haschwalth
The leviathan is 600 meters.

Yeah, so apparently Malak had these uber ISD-tier star destroyers but chose to go around on this 600 meter ex-Republic cruiser.

Haschwalth
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Yeah, so apparently Malak had these uber ISD-tier star destroyers but chose to go around on this 600 meter ex-Republic cruiser.
Since when did size matter?
Different technology, would equate to different types of ships.
It's obvious throughout fiction, like Stargate.

The Merchant
I think this was in reference to the type of ships the Leviathan was, originally they were intended to be Rakatan war ships but later were retconnd to be Interdictors. An Interdictor does rival a a Victory Class Star destroyer in firepower and have the benefit of pulling ships out of hyperspace.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by The Merchant
I think this was in reference to the type of ships the Leviathan was, originally they were intended to be Rakatan war ships but later were retconnd to be Interdictors. An Interdictor does rival a a Victory Class Star destroyer in firepower and have the benefit of pulling ships out of hyperspace.

I figure you have a source? Because no source I've read states an Interdictor rivals a Victory, unless I'm missing a source that details the Interdictor. Every time I ask, I never get any source.

JKBart
Originally posted by Zenwolf
I figure you have a source? Because no source I've read states an Interdictor rivals a Victory, unless I'm missing a source that details the Interdictor. Every time I ask, I never get any source.

It doesn't even seem logical, since Interdictor SD is just Imperial-I with some weaponry removed, and gravity well projectors put in its place, lol.

Lord Stark
Originally posted by JKBart
It doesn't even seem logical, since Interdictor SD is just Imperial-I with some weaponry removed, and gravity well projectors put in its place, lol.

True, but the Immobilizer 418 is 600 meters long and could be called a Star Destroyer I guess.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Immobilizer_418_cruiser

The Merchant
If I get the chance I'll go to my local book store and take a pic of thw source Wookipedia cites for that claim.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Lord Stark
True, but the Immobilizer 418 is 600 meters long and could be called a Star Destroyer I guess.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Immobilizer_418_cruiser

Under the class system, it wouldn't be classed as a Star Destroyer, it's a heavy cruiser according to the Anaxes War College System. Though the Interdictor-class Star Destroyer built by Kuat is indeed a Star Destroyer.

As far as the quote goes in the OP, if it's going off that system, then the only cruiser of the Kotor era at the time that would be classed as a Star Destroyer as far as size goes, would be the Centurion class.

A Star Destroyer size is from 1,000 to 2,000 meters.

A Centurion is sitting at 1,200 meters.

Now that quote doesn't specify any one Destroyer, there are multiple Destroyers in both size and weaponry.

So yes, the Centurion class does rival a Star Destroyer, that said however it doesn't do both. On one hand, it does outsize certain Destroyers but has fewer weapons. Even moreso it's outsized and outgunned from the majority of Destroyers seen.

So therefore, that quote isn't saying it rivals any one type of Destroyer, instead it's just in that class range and has firepower of a Destroyer.

That's the most logical sense I can make out of it.

@Merchant, k.

S_W_LeGenD
Aren't inexpugnable-class vessels largest in KoTOR era?

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/swtor/images/7/73/Inexpugnable_dreadnought.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140402152006

3100 m in TL.

---

KoTOR era Mandalorians also committed Star Destroyers (1200m in TL) to their war-effort against the Republic.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Aren't inexpugnable-class vessels largest in KoTOR era?

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/swtor/images/7/73/Inexpugnable_dreadnought.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140402152006

3100 m in TL.

---

KoTOR era Mandalorians also committed Star Destroyers (1200m in TL) to their war-effort against the Republic.

Well they are, but since the quote in the OP was referencing the Sith Empire under Revan and Malak, I was using only their ships.

But yeah, the Inexpundable-class tactical command ship is the biggest in diameter.

The Ellimist
So we can agree that the quote doesn't imply Malak has invisible, offscreen 1700 meter long ISD-tier warships.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by The Ellimist
So we can agree that the quote doesn't imply Malak has invisible, offscreen 1700 meter long ISD-tier warships.

1,600*

But yeah, there isn't any such thing hinted elsewhere.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.