Wendigo Vs Gorilla Grodd

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zack M
Current Grodd V current Wendigo

https://i.imgur.com/zdqocDu.jpg

vs

https://i.imgur.com/uOLm9v9.jpg

Sin I AM
damn i dunno

good match. wendigo should win but grodd has sf access iirc tough

Zack M
And telepathy, TK.

carver9
Who are you giving the majority too Zack and how many out of 10?

leonidas
who do you think he's taking? lol have you met him? anyway, doesn't current grodd have some uber tp powers? afaik wendigo has no defense against tp. not sure how this is a match tbh. seems a typical prep thread. /shrug

-K-M-
Some hosts DO have telepathy defence and some even have telepathy themselves. Depends on the host. They are not all created equal

Question is what do we consider current wendigo?

leonidas
telepathic defense? which ones had that? mauvais maybe. standard wendigos don't have any defense that i know of, especially against the level grodd has (or had). if he isn't at his previous high levels, this is as much a wasted thread the OTHER way, as wendigo would kill him.

-K-M-

leonidas
the 'current' ones were the ones who fought the x-men right? created by the beast? i'm sure 99.9% of posters think of the classic version when they think wendigo. and since this is prep's thread, i 100% guarantee he had in mind the version of wendigo that would make for the most lop-sided win in favor of dc. very specific and unique versions aside, grodd handles wendigo without any problems.

-K-M-
Agreed

Sin I AM
Originally posted by leonidas
the 'current' ones were the ones who fought the x-men right? created by the beast? i'm sure 99.9% of posters think of the classic version when they think wendigo. and since this is prep's thread, i 100% guarantee he had in mind the version of wendigo that would make for the most lop-sided win in favor of dc. very specific and unique versions aside, grodd handles wendigo without any problems.

have any mutant telepaths affected wendigo?

leonidas
i'd have to look back at the x-men arc. i can't recall if any of the x-men that wendigo army faced had tp, though i'm sure one at least must have. nothing against the classic version though and no reason to think a high level telepath like grodd couldn't end this pretty quickly.

-K-M-

leonidas
meh, maybe you could argue the animal nature, but i'd think grodd was powerful enough currently to deal with it. and it's not like grodd would be trying to control. he could simply shut off the brain. logan is hard to control but has been taken down many times by straight assaults. there is also STILL a human mind in the wendigo. it could be argued as easily that grodd finds it and attacks it. at least as easily as saying he's an animal and is immune to grodd's tp.

DarkSaint85
Grodd routinely controls animals all the time, i.e gorillas.

leonidas
yeah i thought of that but thought most were intelligent gorillas. but yeah, there must be a lot of normal gorillas too. thumb up

-K-M-
meh, maybe you could argue the animal nature, but i'd think grodd was powerful enough currently to deal with it. and it's not like grodd would be trying to control. he could simply shut off the brain. logan is hard to control but has been taken down many times by straight assaults. there is also STILL a human mind in the wendigo. it could be argued as easily that grodd finds it and attacks it. at least as easily as saying he's an animal and is immune to grodd's tp.

Again look at the high level telepaths that have failed against Sabretooth, wolverine, etc. There is far more precedent to support it NOT being easy then the former

No there is NO human mind in the wendigo. Unless your referring to the few hosts that retained their intellect. All others their minds are gone. When paul Cartier was using his telepathy begging Hulk for help he commented his mind was going and then was completely gone. Stated many times the human side is gone and all that remains is the compulsion to feed

-K-M-

xJLxKing
Apparently, Grodd is a speedster as of flash 40

Stomp?

-K-M-

-K-M-

Smurph
Is there a feat of Wendigo resisting or defending against TP, then?

-K-M-

leonidas
laughing out loud

so you showed me a scan of a human wendigo to support the fact that there is no human left inside? no expression

has anyone TRIED to use tp to find a human mind? because clearly (from your scan) it's still in there, even if its buried deeply. too deeply for grodd? maybe. but if no one has tried we don't know if he could find it.

and now you're telling us because it's a 'human animal' that suddenly someone who controls animals wouldn't be able to control it? i'm not buying that at all. logan is a bad example for more than one reason--he is trained against tp AND has had his memories and mind screwed with so many times even the highest tp's can not get through sometimes. but emma has turned even him into a child and taken control of him. feral doesn't mean immune. at all.

not that i've seen. mungi claims one version HAD tp--never saw that though--and that some version had defense (again, not shown.) regardless, that is a specific version and not the generic version being discussed here (since a specific one wasn't mentioned). i'm spreading fake news, but there is no evidence at all to suggest this type of wendigo has any defense at all against a high level tp. at least none that has been shown. i wait with bated breath. thumb up

Sin I AM
hmmmm Wendigo isnt just a normal "animal" type character...his powers are mystical.

leonidas
true, and it's possible a high level tp would fail against one i guess. i just don't see any reason why. and i wasn't considering this sf grodd. clearly if he has the sf this shouldn't really be in doubt at all.

-K-M-

Smurph
Meh, looks to me like you're just assigning abilities to generic Wendigo without any proof. Wendigo isn't Wolverine. Wolverine has built in telepathic shields in addition to remarkably strong 'feral' defenses. The versions of Wendigo that displayed telepathy should be in even more doubt because in Marvel you can't simultaneously use telepathy and be immune to it. Telepaths get trumped by stronger / more skilled telepaths.

Unless there are actual scans of Wendigo's feral nature keeping telepaths out?

-K-M-

Smurph
Lol, OK.

Storm has some tp defenses too, in some appearances. I bet it wouldn't matter to Grodd.

Anyways, as we've all agreed, Grodd wins.

-K-M-

leonidas
it's rare nowadays that i ACTUALLY debate anything in the forum, so this has been entertaining at least, if nothing else.

https://imgur.com/a/J8PTc

that was after baptiste had been returned to human form--"HIS MEMORIES OF WHAT HE DID ARE A FAR WORSE PUNISHMENT..."

https://imgur.com/a/RzVcS

a wendigo is actually a functioning member of omega flight before it dies.

https://imgur.com/a/vAeiX

from his first appearance before the scan you showed--he clearly DID have a mind though it was eventually overshadowed by the wendigo's nature. he was later of course returned to human form when baptiste "saved" him, but he was a wendigo for a lengthy while before he "lost" his mind.

https://imgur.com/a/EA1Nf

laughing out loud

MR. WENDIGO. an instructor for the x-men.

https://imgur.com/a/qRxJh

A wendigo recruited by the hellfire club. THAT wendigo was actually (apparently) baptiste again.

BOTTOM LINE: looks like you may want to revise your opinions on the nature of the wendigo, its mind and its humanity. thumb up

i dunno. same reason superman doesn't always use speed? in rachel's case she was exhausted against the wendigo army and shutting one down would have been meaningless anyway. they were also different even by normal wendigo standards given the beast's magic at play. as for talisman and shaman--how many times have they attackes and shut down someone's mind? beats me.

it is NOT a debate as regards logan and creed because they actually HAVE tp resist feats. you've said a couple times now that wendigos have tp resistance and that one even HAD tp, but you still haven't shown anything that would be considered a resistance feat from any version of a wendigo.

beyond his normal hf and invulnerability? haven't seen that before. if you're talking about that guardian blast that had no effect that doesn't look like anything more than his normal invulnerability protecting him to me. add in the fact that earlier in that very issue logan briefly ko'd him and i'm not buying what you're selling here either. obviously sasquatch and hulk ko'd him and we've seen him hurt many times. we saw a wendigo die in the avengers scan i posted. here we see same random dealing with wendigo using the crimson bands:

https://imgur.com/a/JDRJq

i was referencing your own statement that some had TELEPATHIC defense, not defenses in general (which...wouldn't make sense...)--something you STILL haven't shown. should likely understand what i'm saying before laughing. thumb up

the tsk tsk'ing is moderately annoying (as it was in that snowbird thread which i will get back to eventually) especially in light of....all the above. lying? i never said, and wouldn't say, you lied about anything. maybe you were just unaware of some of the more recent (and older) wendigo showings? now you know. thumb up

i can actually respect that. for my part i was likely hasty in my initial assessment. maybe it wouldn't be as easy as i first thought, but maybe it would be. again, grodd is accustomed to controlling savages and even in his first appearance the wendigo DID have a human mind for the entire issue. we also know even as the wendigo the human DOES have its memories (shown above), and we've seen several decidedly humanized wendigos. weight of evidence would indicate that grodd COULD control a wendigo imo, or certainly shut one down by destroying its mind, but there may be a version (or versions) that would be more difficult for him to handle--assuming speed force is off, of course.

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by Zack M
Current Grodd

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MgHyHhs22oc/WoQPLDiTsmI/AAAAAAAADLk/J9KNC-5FLBMCIIrxNhlyC5Df6iVoCS7nACHMYCw/s1600/RCO016.jpg

-K-M-
https://imgur.com/a/J8PTc

that was after baptiste had been returned to human form--"HIS MEMORIES OF WHAT HE DID ARE A FAR WORSE PUNISHMENT..."

Not sure what that proves exactly? Literally no different then werewolf wendigo scene. He knew he was the wendigo, knew he killed and ate people but didn't know the extent of what he did.

https://imgur.com/a/RzVcS

a wendigo is actually a functioning member of omega flight before it dies.

Yes I know. He never talked and we don't know if he was sentient say like Larry or Mauvais in control or controlled through mechanical means like the "Wendigo" in Weapon P.R.I.M.E. which was done through a "cybernetic control box". Same government that funds that rendition of Omega Flight. Zero context behind that

https://imgur.com/a/vAeiX

from his first appearance before the scan you showed--he clearly DID have a mind though it was eventually overshadowed by the wendigo's nature. he was later of course returned to human form when baptiste "saved" him, but he was a wendigo for a lengthy while before he "lost" his mind.

Not sure how that disproves what I said? Human gets curse. Human still intact before curse fully takes over. Curse takes over and human mind is gone. Similar to Michael Fleet and others. At the end of the issue which the scan I already posted confirms the human mind is gone forever.

This is said in the comics to, but here's a summary. "soon after the act of cannibalism, ALL aspects of the cannibal's humanity becomes OBLITERATED as the person assumes the voracious appetite and bestial instructs of the wendigo". Later "during the fight cartier's mind was COMPLETLY SUBMERGED"

1. http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p68/DCHawks_photo/TheOfficialHandbookoftheMarvelUnive.jpg
2. http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p68/DCHawks_photo/TheOfficialHandbookoftheMarvelUn-1.jpg

From the Hulk 2004 handbook: "Under MOST circumstances a Wendigo possesses only a crude a animal-life intellect; certain individuals have proven able to retain their human intelligence via use of magic"....ie. rare human mind is still there.

Even with the penance stare against a non fully transformed wendigo. Ghost rider says "...and invoked the ancient curse that transformed him into the wendigo. As the last vestiages of his humanity were CONSUMED, his soul screamed out to his beloved "

https://imgur.com/a/EA1Nf

laughing out loud

MR. WENDIGO. an instructor for the x-men.

https://imgur.com/a/qRxJh

A wendigo recruited by the hellfire club. THAT wendigo was actually (apparently) baptiste again.

BOTTOM LINE: looks like you may want to revise your opinions on the nature of the wendigo, its mind and its humanity. thumb up

Not entirely sure why your so confident you didn't countered what I said. Your examples were already questionable and how many OTHER showings of Wendigo have their been over the years?

Concerning Mr.Wendigo. If I remember correctly didn't Bapiste becoming Wendigo again due to Hellfire virus? Similar to what they did with Abigail Marigold attacking the mansion in the first few issues of Wolverine & the X-Men. They made her into wendigo and even turned Eugene Clud into a copy of Sauron...ie. fake versions. So not a true representation unless I missed something???

i dunno. same reason superman doesn't always use speed? in rachel's case she was exhausted against the wendigo army and shutting one down would have been meaningless anyway. they were also different even by normal wendigo standards given the beast's magic at play. as for talisman and shaman--how many times have they attackes and shut down someone's mind? beats me.

Or you know the reason which Shaman said he is protected by magics and resisted their full powers. Where was she exhausted at the start of the story? She wasn't at all. She even tried reading just their mind in the series and couldn't do it easily or 100% accurate. Now why would it being meaningless again? Take down a few to put then out of commission or simply control them to fight for you. However, all they could do is get Nightcrawler to BFR even when the Wendigo numbers were low.

Also this goes to my earlier point what is current wendigo? as that Wendigo story followed the same one that appeared in the Red Hulk book spreading the wendigo virus with a cut/scratch. World War Wendigo continued this story point.

it is NOT a debate as regards logan and creed because they actually HAVE tp resist feats. you've said a couple times now that wendigos have tp resistance and that one even HAD tp, but you still haven't shown anything that would be considered a resistance feat from any version of a wendigo.

How so? We have Wendigo fight telepathic users and not once was he defeated or taken over by telepathy and we know his magical curse provides defences against peoples full powers...ie. defence.

beyond his normal hf and invulnerability? haven't seen that before. if you're talking about that guardian blast that had no effect that doesn't look like anything more than his normal invulnerability protecting him to me. add in the fact that earlier in that very issue logan briefly ko'd him and i'm not buying what you're selling here either. obviously sasquatch and hulk ko'd him and we've seen him hurt many times. we saw a wendigo die in the avengers scan i posted. here we see same random dealing with wendigo using the crimson bands:

https://imgur.com/a/JDRJq

huh? read Shaman's dialogue below the energy blast scan. Yes magical invulnerability because you know...he's magic. The curse didn't make him just strong and durable it made him immortal. Ah lawd. Notice Snowbird says PHYSICAL means still work, but their other powers do NOT. Hence, why Wolverine was able to do it while the others couldn't. Magical defences are far harder to get beyond then regular durability. Superman can attest to that.

Concerning your scan that was after wolverine was thrown through his chest and was knocked out. They didn't just do that to an awake wendigo. Same way Shaman said he couldn't bind an awake wendigo

i was referencing your own statement that some had TELEPATHIC defense, not defenses in general (which...wouldn't make sense...)--something you STILL haven't shown. should likely understand what i'm saying before laughing. thumb up

Where does it say Shaman's defence comment doesn't refer to defence against telepathy? As we know he and others of Alpha Flight have telepathy and not ONCE have used it to take down Wendigo. Hell NO ONE has used telepathy to take down a Wendigo period even when battling actual telepaths as well.

the tsk tsk'ing is moderately annoying (as it was in that snowbird thread which i will get back to eventually) especially in light of....all the above. lying? i never said, and wouldn't say, you lied about anything. maybe you were just unaware of some of the more recent (and older) wendigo showings? now you know. thumb up

I'm the one who made the Wendigo respect thread erm I'm very aware of his showings

i can actually respect that. for my part i was likely hasty in my initial assessment. maybe it wouldn't be as easy as i first thought, but maybe it would be. again, grodd is accustomed to controlling savages and even in his first appearance the wendigo DID have a human mind for the entire issue. we also know even as the wendigo the human DOES have its memories (shown above), and we've seen several decidedly humanized wendigos. weight of evidence would indicate that grodd COULD control a wendigo imo, or certainly shut one down by destroying its mind, but there may be a version (or versions) that would be more difficult for him to handle--assuming speed force is off, of course.

He DID, but as noted lost it. He was telepathically talking to Hulk to save him. Then he was forever gone. Let's put it this way IF it was so easy to telepathically control Wendigo who has Talisman, Strange, Shaman, Rachel Summers ever done it. Rachael not once could control a wendigo and merely just using TK put her "brain on fire" she even tried reading their minds and was like "I think....they're scared"

Here let's turn it around. Where's your proof that a telepath COULD pull the human mind out and take control of Wendigo?

-K-M-
One of my scans didn't work (thanks photobucket) so removed it. But another reference of they still have their human mind when they transform at the start...but then it is eventually removed

"then, his LAST vestiges of HUMAN CONSCIOUSNESS fading, the shaggy woodsbeast turns to the granite wall that imprisons him"

https://i.imgur.com/Rlkx2e1.jpg

Wolverine has repeatably said there is no more humanity in Wendigo only a monster remains. Even Northstar said something similar during World War Wendigo

leonidas
and here is yet another clear example that they DO retain their human minds:

https://imgur.com/a/flF1s

as soon as it calmed down it actually remembered its human life. can't get anymore clear than that that it's humanity, its human mind is clearly still in there. as for what it proves, it disproves that the human mind inside is actually gone. all the wendigos above clearly retained humanity. at best, you can say that SOME wendigos seem to have their humanity destroyed--but even that is misleading as even the earliest ones can be cured so clearly their humanity isn't destroyed/obliterated. it's buried. sometimes deeply, other times seemingly not deeply at all.

and again, the wendigos that rachel faced were more than just the normal ones--even snowbird mentioned something about power beyond the wendigos working through that event--the beast of course. maybe you wanna call those wendigos from amazing x-men the current ones, but i think the thread means classic.

in the opening of that same arc, rachel says she can't make out anything because of 'psychic spill' which she says is the screaming and sounds of 'animals'. that is literally all she did. why didn't she try and shut down the minds? like i said, i don't know. why didn't thor just bfr them all to the US where the curse doesn't have any effect? those kinds of questions can always be asked. /shrug

you said repeatedly they have tp defense. in reality though, no tp has ever even TRIED to shut down a wendigo. rachel claims it was the numbers that overwhelmed her ability to read their minds, though she was able to sense them and get something even through the "psychic spill". this is only ONE wendigo, and grodd deals with savagery in his subjects all the time.

as for why i think grodd could reach the human mind:

http://i.imgur.com/TREGoY0.jpg

based on that, he wouldn't even need to touch the human mind, just make the beast aware of itself and what it's doing. and obviously he can control apes:

http://i.imgur.com/BNDgcir.jpg

grodd actually has a few very solid tp feats.

you said they have tp defense, but really, no one has ever really even tried to get into the head of a wendigo--at best we don't know. given the nature of grodd's powers and his own animalistic nature though, and knowing that vestiges of humanity and human mind DOES exist within the wendigo, i still think this favors grodd.

-K-M-

-K-M-
Also to add in AXM #8, Rachael with Cerebra couldn't tell why Wolverine was so afraid even when he was directly fighting a bunch of Wendigo literally 5 feet from him. At the time numbers were very slow. Then in the scene you mentioned earlier in AXM #8 Rachael says

Rachel: "no ororo there's two much psychic spill. I can't make out anything but screams. A lot of them"
Northstar: "why would a town be screaming?"
Rachel: "I...I..don;t know, Northstar. It's more like howling"

So the screams were actually the wendigo, but couldn't read them or knew what they were. Even hearing the reports going over the radio they still had NO CLUE it was the Wendigo. Later after the Blackbird crashes...

Storm: "we need to look for survivors"
Rachel: "I...I...don't think there are any. Everyone's gone or dead. Everyone is..oh no. Storm were in trouble" (bunch of wendigo were already around them)

Rachael even had a hard time pinpointing wolverine-wendigo until he was right in front of them. Later she couldn't fully tell what what was wrong with the small group of wendigo and figured they were afraid...but didnt know of what. Rachael apparently still had the power to shut down brains as Colossus wanted her to do it against Sasquatch before he turned...never once did it to a wendigo but it was brought up so writer clearly wasnt ignoring that ability.

Think it's pretty clear Rachael had an EXTENSIVE diffucult time with her telepathy here

You said it in your earlier post but where did it say they were amped or much different then before? The ONLY varation of the wendigos which were in the spirit relam and they were black and called "Shadows". Concerning the actual Wendigo, Tanaraq was sucking the power from them to power himself to fight the Beasts (could argue they were weakened as they were powering Tanaraq not the other way around) and the big thing he did was the curse after he absorbed more power was change the curse to allow wendigo to go into the states. That was it.

leonidas
yeah, in terms of different i was thinking about the virus, but also about the role tanaraq played in things overall. it just seemed...very different from past incarnations.

if that's true, then we really have no idea how a tp user would do against a previous version. as far as rachel--all she did was try and READ their minds though. and you're right, even with cerebro she couldn't read logan. when you realize she has read the entire planet, that feels more like pis than anything else. regardless, we know her tk worked on them. maybe she didn't shut down their minds with tp for the same reasons she didn't destroy their minds with tk--she didn't want to risk the people inside?

and again, how many times has shaman or talisman shut down someone's mind? not exactly their go-to. they could do that to any of a number of AF foes. why don't they ever do it? like i said, those types of questions run both ways.

you mentioned the hellfire virus as the reason for baptiste becoming a wendigo again. where'd that happen?

i'm also not saying he has NO tp defense (lol nice to know we can still both back down a bit from an initial stance....) but i think we're conflating grodd and rachel a bit too much. grodd seems very much more suited to dealing with a wendigo than rachel was. it is consistently referenced as animalistic. magical, yes but still animal. and magic doesn't always equate to tp immunity. i mean juggs is an obvious example.

for grodd's part though he does have some impressive tp feats of controlling characters' whose powers are rooted in magic.

https://imgur.com/a/KCjJN

grundy, nightshade and the last one is really impressive as he takes down animal man and even constantine himself. he doesn't control them, just puts them down with power. he doesn't need to be subtle or tricky here--he can just crush the endigo's mind. maybe it heal quickly, but it should still be long enough for a ko i'd think.

-K-M-
yeah, in terms of different i was thinking about the virus, but also about the role tanaraq played in things overall. it just seemed...very different from past incarnations.

Only thing really was different was the scratch/bite transformations (which was in another story first). But overall power? nothing different as Tanaraq was taking their power for himself so one could argue they were weakened more then anything.

The incident turned more people in a shorter period of time which seemed to give more power to Tanaraq to get more involved. Talisman in WWW said "ive found a powerful counterspell to the curse some time ago, during ANOTHER infestation...nothing of this scale, but in theory it should work". So the virus has been happening more and more it seems.

if that's true, then we really have no idea how a tp user would do against a previous version. as far as rachel--all she did was try and READ their minds though. and you're right, even with cerebro she couldn't read logan. when you realize she has read the entire planet, that feels more like pis than anything else. regardless, we know her tk worked on them. maybe she didn't shut down their minds with tp for the same reasons she didn't destroy their minds with tk--she didn't want to risk the people inside?

Agreed, that's why I said SOME have tp defence. As can't say all have it. Wendigo is so over the place with power and abilities and they are not all created equal. Again she still had the ability to shut brains down, Colossus wanted her to do it against Sasquatch....yet never did or seems could against Wendigo. When Walter turned she couldn't take down walter and was knocked out by him. So Tanaraq's magical influence provides additional defence. Nope, they were even talking about that in a few scenes. Northstar scolds them for thinking their still human and Storm amended her initial rule to go all out, but not to kill them. So the most logical answer is simple....the Magical curse provides additional defence which Shaman confirmed.

Also yes her TK did work, but as noted when she did it "her brain was on fire". Doubtful she didn't want to risk the people as wendigo have an insanely powerful healing factor and all intense purposes are immortal. They recently retconned that if you remove the heart of the wendigo they will die (X-Men Blue #4), but they have shown in other stories to survive that happening but kind of like that plot point.

Sidenote: Originally the wendigo curse was created by the Gods of the Arctic (Inua..snowbird's people). Amazing X-Men retconned it saying it was Tanaraq all along which makes more sense

and again, how many times has shaman or talisman shut down someone's mind? not exactly their go-to. they could do that to any of a number of AF foes. why don't they ever do it? like i said, those types of questions run both ways.

Actually a lot. shaman even has magical spells to put people to sleep such as the "Dust from the Realm of Dreams" . They actually have done it against foes. As noted by Shaman himself the magical curses protects Wendigo against the full extent of their powers so valid reason why wouldn't work on wendigo. Again not saying that's the case for ALL Wendigo but there is definitely some that would follow that methodology

you mentioned the hellfire virus as the reason for baptiste becoming a wendigo again. where'd that happen?

Yeah they made it in Wolverine & X-Men #2 to make the wendigo and sauron copies. Was a plot point earlier in the same series as Mr.Wendigo.

https://i.imgur.com/Kp72XWx.jpg

However, I just read all of Mr.Wendigo's appearance again and there is no additional context behind him.... was it even baptiste?????? No mention of who the host is or Bapistie name anywhere. Also to add that Wendigo was in the states, if he was a true wendigo he would have reverted to a human...supposedly.

i'm also not saying he has NO tp defense (lol nice to know we can still both back down a bit from an initial stance....) but i think we're conflating grodd and rachel a bit too much. grodd seems very much more suited to dealing with a wendigo than rachel was. it is consistently referenced as animalistic. magical, yes but still animal. and magic doesn't always equate to tp immunity. i mean juggs is an obvious example.

for grodd's part though he does have some impressive tp feats of controlling characters' whose powers are rooted in magic.

https://imgur.com/a/KCjJN

grundy, nightshade and the last one is really impressive as he takes down animal man and even constantine himself. he doesn't control them, just puts them down with power. he doesn't need to be subtle or tricky here--he can just crush the endigo's mind. maybe it heal quickly, but it should still be long enough for a ko i'd think.

That was the entire point of this debate. Also I have said a few times Grodd wins here (even without the speed/life force boost) but the discussion was wendigo and his tp defence and how easy this would be for Grodd. Once again Wendigo is a magical spirit with an animal intellect. Far far far far from a basic animal. Also I would put Rachel above Grodd in telepathy to be honest.

Reminder it is in character for grodd to go one on one physically with Wendigo at the start which would be bad for him. Often times he will forgo using telepathy as finds it beneath him to sully his mind entering another's.

Like with Wendigo grundy is all over the place too nor do we know the context how grodd controlled them. Did he use prep? did he do it with help? did he struggle? did he do it when their guard was down? did he do it during a fight? etc. Same with your other examples. unless with prep Nightshade or Constantine do not have magic/power defences or have magical invulnerability like the wendigo does.

Again the shut down brain option was directly referred in this story. It was NOT ignored for the purpose of this story. So wasn't PIS/CIS as author even directly brought it up. If that scene wasn't there then you could argue it would be CIS.

TK I;m sure would still work as it would fall under the "physical" rule which bypasses certain wendigo's defences. Though again Wendigo has battled several TK users in the past so again becomes murky. Has Grodd ever done that?

leonidas
there was no context for controlling grundy and nightshade--aside from money. luthor put a billion dollar bounty on superman. grodd controlled a bunch of villains to try and collect. and whatever state they ARE still magical. he can easily control animals AND magic-based characters. again, seems very well suited to this match. and taking constantine down with tp is a VERY good feat. he has defenses against everything...

i think rachel's powers were def down played in that arc--thats the same version who went one on one with thor. she was at one time holding 3 wendigos at once with her tk. i think her brain was on fire because she was exhausted. /shrug

maybe she couldn't shut down the mind of a wendigo, but before she had a chance to try she was taken out. she could in this type of setting just crush it with tk.

versions of grodd have exhibited powerful tk, but most don't. not sure about the most recent one. he MAY start out in h2h (and he did do reasonably well against aquaman before arthur finished him off) but he'd learn quick that isn't the best bet and resort to his tp. he wouldn't be getting one shot in this thing--he's taken some serious punishment in the past, most notably by flash...

i think some wendigos have inferred tp defense (rachel was able to sense them, sense their emotions but obviously couldn't read the animal nature of their minds) but i'd like to see a focus effort made against one and see what happens. could she have burned out a mind? i dunno. i think had she gone all out, yeah, probably. but it would likely have killed the monster and the host so she'd never do it.

regarding baptiste--i couldn't find on panel where it said it was him. more than one outside source confirmed it, but i guess they could be wrong. and it is odd he was in the US, but i thought one of the more recent arcs maybe allowed the curse to cross into the US now....

-K-M-
there was no context for controlling grundy and nightshade--aside from money. luthor put a billion dollar bounty on superman. grodd controlled a bunch of villains to try and collect. and whatever state they ARE still magical. he can easily control animals AND magic-based characters. again, seems very well suited to this match. and taking constantine down with tp is a VERY good feat. he has defenses against everything...

i think rachel's powers were def down played in that arc--thats the same version who went one on one with thor. she was at one time holding 3 wendigos at once with her tk. i think her brain was on fire because she was exhausted. /shrug

maybe she couldn't shut down the mind of a wendigo, but before she had a chance to try she was taken out. she could in this type of setting just crush it with tk.

versions of grodd have exhibited powerful tk, but most don't. not sure about the most recent one. he MAY start out in h2h (and he did do reasonably well against aquaman before arthur finished him off) but he'd learn quick that isn't the best bet and resort to his tp. he wouldn't be getting one shot in this thing--he's taken some serious punishment in the past, most notably by flash...

i think some wendigos have inferred tp defense (rachel was able to sense them, sense their emotions but obviously couldn't read the animal nature of their minds) but i'd like to see a focus effort made against one and see what happens. could she have burned out a mind? i dunno. i think had she gone all out, yeah, probably. but it would likely have killed the monster and the host so she'd never do it.

regarding baptiste--i couldn't find on panel where it said it was him. more than one outside source confirmed it, but i guess they could be wrong. and it is odd he was in the US, but i thought one of the more recent arcs maybe allowed the curse to cross into the US now....

that's my point. How do we know how he did it? did he have help? did he do it through trickey? did he do it during a fight? etc. To many unanswered questions. Their magical, but then again not magically invulnerable. Once again you need to get off the wendigo is an animal kick. He is a spirit and demon who actually unlike the other has magical invulnerability who even shaman (one of marvels elite magical users) said prevented him from using the full effect of his powers on him.

your making some hefty stretches rather then just admit her telepathy had troubles against wendigo. Thor fought the Wendigo in the story too...he became one himself in the end. Didn't seem like she was exhausted, but made mention kurt was and had to change tactics as they weren't getting anywhere. Only one that seemed drained or weakened was nightcrawler with his constant porting....then they would wait until the ones they ported away to come back. Would have been very ideal to shut the wendigo down here or take control of a few as they were dealing with the same ones.

I strongly disagree. She had MANY opportunities and was only taken out by walter after he turned at the end of the story. Also Wendigo is that easy to crush? Has Grodd shown such TK skill he could crush a Wendigo as well?

Yes, but again has Grodd done that? He also wasn't doing to great against Mullah. His strength showings are not very consistent either. But again if were using virus wendigo all it takes is a scratch and bite and grodd is turned. if we don't use virus wendigo I don't see Wendigo going down easy period.

Pretty sure she was very focused and took it very serious the entire story. She showed not once but multiple times even reading their minds was difficult. Nighcrawler: "what are they doing?", "Rachel: "I think....they're scared". Now does Rachel or Grodd typically do that? and why would that attack kill the wendigo? I feel your giving Grodd to many liberties while neglecting wendigo's established story and feats

Where were these sources that confirmed it? I tried to look it up and found nothing...not sure if this is accurate as there is no footnote... says Jason Aaron intended it to be a different wendigo host. They also think Mr Wendigo is the same wendigo from omega flight. Which is actually possible as neither spoke english nor did it say it's typical yell out its name. the wendigo virus host in W&XM #2 didnt speak or yell its name either
www.marvunapp.com/Appendix7/wendigo_ha.htm. Every apperance of Wendigo after WWW the Wendigo has been in Canada

leonidas
when i said no context, i meant no context. he was literally standing on a roof controlling all the villains. as for constantine, he wiped him out along with animal man and the others effortlessly. and the wendigo has repeatedly been referenced as animalistic. the recent ones in amazing xmen seem less...magical than the older ones. the older ones also seemed to have humans still in reach. either way seems like grodd is well suited here.

i'm not making a stretch at all. she'd been fighting a long time. her brain on fire meant she was exhausted to me. she was also holding 3 of them--it would certainly have been exhausting fighting all of them. you're making excuses for them along the lines of why doesn't superman use his super speed all the time. absence of proof isn't proof of absence.

crush a wendigo? who said anything about that? the only thing needing crushing would be the brain. and yeah, his tk was capable of handling green lanterns, so IF he had it here, he should pretty easily be able to crush one brain. you already said he's vulnerable to tk as it's physical. no reason he couldn't crush the brain. like there was no reason rachel couldn't imo. it would kill the entity though so she never would. she has blocked mjolnir--pretty sure she could summon the force needed to crush a brain....

sure if its virus wendigo. but then as common knowledge grodd would know not to get scratched and would use tp from the get-go.

not sure what you mean here. i've already said she coudn't read their minds... but she could get a sense of them and their thoughts. i said if they used tk to crush the brain (rachel has opened a BLACK HOLE for goodness sake, and has molecular levels of tk feats) she could crush a brain. even if it healed it would ko the thing.

the usual fan-sourced material:

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Georges_Baptiste_(Earth-616)

may or may not be true, but it seems like it was a legit wendigo. /shrug

anyway, as i said--grodd has controlled animals, and magic/magical-related beings. weight of evidence would seem to suggest he was well suited to this match. /shrug

-K-M-
when i said no context, i meant no context. he was literally standing on a roof controlling all the villains. as for constantine, he wiped him out along with animal man and the others effortlessly. and the wendigo has repeatedly been referenced as animalistic. the recent ones in amazing xmen seem less...magical than the older ones. the older ones also seemed to have humans still in reach. either way seems like grodd is well suited here.

hmmmm? they just showed up already under grodds control. So when did he take them over? he did it off-panel prior to sending them to fight Batman/Superman. how did he do it? one on one? during a fight? with prep? etc. He showed up with them already under his control, but we have zero context how and when he did it.

again none of them are know for having invulnerability without prep which they didn't have there.

Yes referred to be an animal-like, but as stated many times is a demon spirit.

Less magical? Ok now I know your trolling. Talsiman was there because they were magical and was cancelling the curse saving some before she tried to do that big spell before being stabbed. Wendigo was crossing the border and turning back into humans due to the curse. The Xmen then even go to the spirit realm to fight magical creatures...like how, HOW? in your mind can you seriously say they were less magical then previous stories. This was one of their biggest magical stories for the wendigo sans Mauvais

Humans still in reach? haha ok Leo. Sure if you ignore all the onpanel statements and years of continuity. erm I just don't understand how you don't get it. "the cannibal is overcome by his own greed and gluttony. His very humanity begins to melt away, when all that remains is the physical embodiment of his insatiable hunger the wendigo is born"

Wolverine: "...wilderness cannibal gets possessed by the spirit of wendigo. same spirit. different body

soon after the act of cannibalism, ALL aspects of the cannibal's humanity becomes OBLITERATED as the person assumes the voracious appetite and bestial instructs of the wendigo". Later it states "....during the fight cartier's mind was COMPLETLY SUBMERGED"

"Under MOST circumstances a Wendigo possesses only a crude animal-like intellect; certain individuals have proven able to retain their human intelligence via use of magic".

Ghost rider "...and invoked the ancient curse that transformed him into the wendigo. As the last vestiges of his humanity were CONSUMED, his soul screamed out to his beloved "

"then, his LAST vestiges of HUMAN CONSCIOUSNESS fading, the shaggy woodsbeast turns to the granite wall that imprisons him"

The ONE example you used to say that it should be considered fact and ignore everything else says "in a fleeting moment of incongruous (ie. not in harmony or keeping with the surroundings or other aspects of something) calm, the wendigo pauses to regard its damaged hand -- itself straining to focus -- to reveal a life before the rage, before the curse"...."so focused and driven by it's primal rage-- that the tiny spark of humanity still left within the possessed beat -- grasps once more at a flickering memory of what had come before" That doesn't scream to me the human is easily accessible which even says this was incredibly rare and contradicts years and years of other on-panel statements. This was used as a way to show how the wendigo turned into the wendigo and nothing more

again if it was so easy as you say why haven't ANYONE pulled the human out of them? erm You trying to give scenarios as fact for your character even though no one has ever done it

i'm not making a stretch at all. she'd been fighting a long time. her brain on fire meant she was exhausted to me. she was also holding 3 of them--it would certainly have been exhausting fighting all of them. you're making excuses for them along the lines of why doesn't superman use his super speed all the time. absence of proof isn't proof of absence.

No she wasn't. They even were having breaks between the waves. They had a lot of downtime between their first encounter in UXM9 until AX11 where she makes the brain on fire comment.

AXM9 - Weren't fighting long and then Talisman saves them. they have an extended talking scene and were resting while talisman did all the work with the spell. wolverine stabs her in the back.

AX10- Starts off the team BFR the wendigo that was around and colossus holding wolverine-wendigo until they bfr him too. Then they stand around and talk some more. round 2 starts and everyone is fine as they keep bfr removing them. Kurt is working over-time. Then they stand around again, talk, attempt to heal talisman, talk. Alpha Flight arrives, they talk, then they fly to the portal. Battle at portal starts

AX11-Portal fight continues and nightcrawler keeps porting them away. Rachael mentions the last wave was 7 minutes before last, the wave before was 12 minutes before the last so because nightcrawler getting more tired (even says he is) they are returning quicker and quicker but still lots of downtime. Next wave arrives and that's when Rachael says her brain is on fire while other then nightcrawler (which makes sense) no one else seems tired or drained

Not at all your trying to say characters are going to act and do feats they have never done before.

crush a wendigo? who said anything about that? the only thing needing crushing would be the brain. and yeah, his tk was capable of handling green lanterns, so IF he had it here, he should pretty easily be able to crush one brain. you already said he's vulnerable to tk as it's physical. no reason he couldn't crush the brain. like there was no reason rachel couldn't imo. it would kill the entity though so she never would. she has blocked mjolnir--pretty sure she could summon the force needed to crush a brain....

Sorry I misinterpreted what you said. you meant brain thought you meant him in general like crush into a ball. So you have examples of Grodd doing that? If you don't your point is invalid.

No reason Rachel couldn't.... unless Wendigo had some sort of magical defence which prevents the full capabilities of powers. *le gasp. Obvious answer is obvious.

Why would it kill the entity?

sure if its virus wendigo. but then as common knowledge grodd would know not to get scratched and would use tp from the get-go.

Really isn't public knowledge. Most of the world doesn't even believe the wendigo is real. Even after the first few virus outbreaks no one knew about it in the amazing X-Men story

Other then speedforce grodd. I say good luck not being scratched when they have tagged speedsters as well as Nightcrawler and Wolverine.

not sure what you mean here. i've already said she coudn't read their minds... but she could get a sense of them and their thoughts. i said if they used tk to crush the brain (rachel has opened a BLACK HOLE for goodness sake, and has molecular levels of tk feats) she could crush a brain. even if it healed it would ko the thing.

Exactly. All she could do was get a very vague sense of them. Which what would that imply? They have a form of telepathic resistance. She even struggled to read their minds, she made a guess on them being scared. ie. the original debate was Wendigo having telepathic defence which you were adamant was not true.

in the above section you said it would kill the wendigo, glad your backing down. So once again WHEN has Grodd EVER done anything in that regard?

the usual fan-sourced material:

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Georges_Baptiste_(Earth-616)

may or may not be true, but it seems like it was a legit wendigo. /shrug

anyway, as i said--grodd has controlled animals, and magic/magical-related beings. weight of evidence would seem to suggest he was well suited to this match. /shrug

Well then I'm confident to say that is busted

Of course you would say it was a legit wendigo haha. Now why would you say it was a legit ? We even saw the same group make a fake Wendigo and not once did Wendigo actually say his name. His trademark

Not at all. Your misinterpeting a great deal of things. Wendigo is NOT an animal. Demonic spirit that possesses a human. Doesnt matter how many times you say it, he is not an animal and people more advanced the grodd could not easily do it (or at all). He affected Magical beings, sure...but without the same invulnerablity as wendigo. So once again how does that make it fact?

I do find it interesting you keep giving all the high showings for characters you are arguing (and even showings they dont even have), but refuse to allow that for Wendigo

leonidas
i've tried to remain civil for longer than i typically do, but the accusations and patronizing are starting to pi$$ me off.

really? he took out constantine with no effort, and his whole team, including animal man. no prep, no gear. you want to pretend you're making a point by saying you don't know the context of how he took out grundy, and imply he needed help, be my guest. nothing was alluded to, and he's taken down much larger fish. when he was done with him, grodd discarded grundy like he was worthless. grundy, whose creation is rooted in magic, AND in a curse. and wth are you talking about--grundy's invulnerability is RIDICULOUS. if anything it's>>wendigo's. certainly in some incarnations at least. he has been stabbed by MICHAEL's sword and kept fighting ffs. through the heart!

all those words for a meaningless point. i guess because of the way it spread. and i didn't say it WAS less magical. it FELT less magical since it had never worked like that and felt less rooted in the typical curse. i didn't say it as a point to be debated, but merely the way i saw this particular story. christ man, take a breath.

you claim i'm ignoring showings when you essentially HAND WAVED every scan i showed of wendigos SHOWING blatant humanity, remembering their humanity and even talking like humans. even if mr wendigo WAS made with a different virus, he was STILL referenced as A wendigo. not a new type, not a different type, but a WENDIGO, by the xmen. who tend to know what a wendigo is....so was the one in omega flight.

you can wave them away and cry about lack of context--fact is you have no more proof they WEREN'T true wendigos, than i do that they WERE. they were called wendigos. treated as wendigos. maybe they were simply different types.
ones that do NOT live up to your preconceived, and apparently dearly held, notions. but I'M ignoring showings? you cling to the same line over and again, despite being shown 5-6 scans that directly contradict your idea of what the wendigo is and that is somehow....solid debating strategy? wth is going on here? even the very first wendigo had the human inside it screaming for help for an undefined amount of time. and yet you still insist the human is obliterated inside the beast--despite the beast REMEMBERING its human life?

are you kidding me? you won't even acknowledge she, and the rest, were tired as phukc?

https://imgur.com/a/0ErDA

"we can't keep this up." now who's trolling...

smh i was talking about the FIRST wendigo--you know, the one who had the human in him actually TALKING to the hulk for a prolonged time? that one. in time his consciousness did fade--obviously--but for a prolonged period of time the human WAS in reach. was in fact, TALKING to hulk.

sigh... while we're using cliched debate techniques, here's one in return--i've never seen superman bake a cake before either, ergo i guess it's impossible for him to do so. thumb up

rachel has created a black hole. yet she couldn't crush the brain of a wendigo even though, while exhausted, she was tk holding THREE of them? sounds reasonable. far more reasonable than her not wanting to potentially harm the host. and if talisman and shaman are so sharp, why don't they just bfr a wendigo to the US? seems an easy solution. especially if they are unconscious. you said they should turn normal in the US. why didn't thor just bfr the lot of them? you mean the story likely wouldn't have been quite so cool?? le gaspe! obvious IS obvious. thumb up

lol your first point is a blatant lie--i said AFAIK wendigos i didn't have tp defense. had any been shown at the time, i'd have said, cool, and the thread would have ended.

and i didn't back down from anything. it MAY well kill a wendigo to crush its brain. it MAY well heal. don't know, don't...really give a phukc. it WOULD end the fight though unless you have some proof it could live through having its brain crushed...? or maybe she crushes its heart....that would be easy and apparently an insta-win according to you and the retcon.

and i SAID i don't even know if grodd HAS tk. christ, stop telling me what i said. i even said most times grodd does NOT show tk. you're bouncing all over and have lost track of what's even being debated.

i haven't scratched my head and muttered wtf like this since the last time i debated carver. he didn't say his name....? and THAT is your proof? whew.

first, i said it was APPARENTLY baptiste, and then actually ASKED YOU for info about it because all i could find was the website i showed. i even TOLD you it was a fan source. you seem like you caught me out or something. btw whatever did turn him doesn't mean he was NOT still a wendigo. a different type? sure. but there are already tons of versions. what's one more?

busted what exactly?? lol all the above is nonsense. this started because me, then smurph:

Originally posted by Smurph
Is there a feat of Wendigo resisting or defending against TP, then?

had a simple question. to which you said:

**looks back at page one...sees muttering about no name hosts, sees penance stare (which is nothing like tp) and....nothing else.**

now it's page 3 and...nothing. still. i can't prove a negative. you said they have defense. SHOW IT. show a scan of a tp trying and failing to shut down a wendigo's mind. ANYONE. not a scan of rachel sort of being able to read SOME sense from them.

your only proof is the ABSENCE of proof. and you say I'M crediting people with things they haven't done?? you don't have a SINGLE scan, in 3 pages, to support you stance. and you question why I'M convinced of my stance?

i've shown grodd controlling animals and making them sentient. i've shown him controlling magical beings. even a being rooted in a CURSE, like wendigo. i've shown wendigos behaving like humans, remembering their humanity and even talking, despite you saying they HAVE no humanity, but you hand wave everything away.

your only important point all along was they HAVE defense. prove it. this isn't hard.

i am completely content to let people read this for themselves and come to whatever conclusions they want, based on the EVIDENCE shown. you can have your final word. the thread has worn out its welcome for me.

-K-M-
you know what I think we should leave it at that. Were getting heated and it's not going anywhere. In the end it's not worth it and would rather still be civil and friendly with you.

I apologize for my end of things.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.