Cop fired for not killing anyone wins settlement.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nephthys
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/police-officer-fired-not-shooting-suicidal-man-175-000-article-1.3817584

I think this case speaks of one of the largest issues in American law enforcement. These guys are trained to kill at the slightest possible risk and when someone actually tries to deescalate a situation the guy's fired and smeared. Think of the message that sends to his fellow officers. I'm glad this guy won his case but this was still an easily avoidable tragedy.

Robtard
Good news.

Silent Master
I agree that your average police officer needs better training.

Surtur
Originally posted by Nephthys
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/police-officer-fired-not-shooting-suicidal-man-175-000-article-1.3817584

I think this case speaks of one of the largest issues in American law enforcement. These guys are trained to kill at the slightest possible risk and when someone actually tries to deescalate a situation the guy's fired and smeared. Think of the message that sends to his fellow officers. I'm glad this guy won his case but this was still an easily avoidable tragedy.

I'm glad he won, but if what your article says is true the other cops came upon a dude waving a gun around. He got shot. I'm sorry, you just don't wave guns around at cops. Most of them are not going to take the chance that person won't use it.

Nephthys
Well I'd say that they should have seen that their colleague had been able to engage him without being shot and not be so trigger happy. The guy wanted to suicide by cop. Instead of running in and instantly gunning him down, accurately assessing the situation beforehand would have spared the guys life.

The most important thing though is that they fired the first cop for not shooting. Thats a gross injustice imo and sends a message to every other officer to just shoot first and ask questions later.

Surtur
Well I'd say that they should have seen that their colleague had been able to engage him without being shot and not be so trigger happy. The guy wanted to suicide by cop. Instead of running in and instantly gunning him down, accurately assessing the situation beforehand would have spared the guys life.

The most important thing though is that they fired the first cop for not shooting. Thats a gross injustice imo and sends a message to every other officer to just shoot first and ask questions later.

Firing the cop was wrong. What happened with the other incident was tragic, but nowhere near the cops fault or even a result of bad training.

If you wave a gun at a cop you will get shot and I can't see how exactly they could have stopped him without being mind readers, because they have no clue what he is going to do once they see him waving a gun around.

Nephthys
The guy was yelling at them to shoot him, its pretty obvious what he was trying to do. erm

Surtur
The guy was yelling at them to shoot him, its pretty obvious what he was trying to do. erm

Yes, but it means he is mentally unstable. How are they to know what he will do, who he will shoot?

MythLord
Originally posted by Robtard
Good news.

ArtificialGlory
I don't blame the other cops for shooting the guy, but the fact that the first cop on the scene got fired is beyond retarded. He was fired for essentially having superior training.

Kurk
Remember that they don't hire applicants with an IQ above a certain threshold so that they can't think independently like this guy did.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Kurk
Remember that they don't hire applicants with an IQ above a certain threshold so that they can't think independently like this guy did.
Can't risk raising that bar, you know.

Robtard
We need more cops like this and less cops like the assassin who murdered Daniel Shaver.

That cop was cleared btw.

BackFire
Man was fired to doing good police work and being proven correct. Glad he won the settlement but the fact that he was even fired in the first place is absolutely disgusting. Whoever made the decision to fire him should, in fact, be fired and never allowed anywhere near authority again.

snowdragon
We need more cops like this and less cops like the assassin who murdered Daniel Shaver.

That cop was a murderer hiding behind his title, given far to much power and lenience for his actions.

BackFire

I sincerely hope that cop is killed asap. Man is walking garbage.

Firefly218

That cop was cleared btw. damn

Surtur
We had a popular police commander murdered recently here a few days ago. There are good cops that do good jobs. You disrespect them when you get rid of a good cop for stupid reasons.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.