Obama and Trump Myths: Fact Checking National Debt Claims

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dadudemon
Lots of bullshit floating around the net. Saying that Trump eliminated the national debt, that Obama is the worst fiscal president in history, etc.

So let's go down the list:

1. Deficit fell under Trump by $102 billion: True

https://www.snopes.com/national-debt-trump/

(Snopes says its true and knowing Snopes mild anti-right position, I feel comfortable with citing Snopes on this).

2. National Debt Was Reduced by Obama when he took office: False

"On January 20, 2009, when he was sworn in, the debt was $10.626 trillion. On January 20, 2017, when he left, it was $19.947 trillion. That's why most people say Obama added $9 trillion to the debt, more than any other president ."

https://www.thebalance.com/national-debt-under-obama-3306293

3. Obama eliminated the deficit if you ignore his first year in office because Bush Jr.'s budget was already approved before Obama took office in 2009: False

This one is a bit tricky. The first part is false as hell. The second part is somewhat true, however:

FY 2009 - Even though the budget had been approved, Congress added emergency funding to stop the Great Recession. It added the first year's worth of spending from Obama's Economic Stimulus Act to the FY 2009 budget. That $253 billion accrues to Obama.
FY 2010 - Obama's first budget created a $1.294 trillion deficit.
FY 2011 - This budget contributed $1.3 trillion to the debt.
FY 2012 - The deficit was $1.087 trillion.
FY 2013 - This was the first Obama budget where the deficit, $679 billion, was less than $1 trillion. Thank sequestration, which forced a 10 percent cut in spending.
FY 2014 - The deficit was $485 billion.
FY 2015 - The deficit fell further, to $438 billion.
FY 2016 - The deficit rose to $585 billion
FY 2017 - The deficit was $666 billion.

https://www.thebalance.com/national-debt-under-obama-3306293

So even looking at it optimistically and ignoring the first year, Obama still had the largest total deficit of any president in history. That's even adjusting for inflation.

4. Trump is going to increase the national debt to over $28 trillion by the end of his 4 year term: True.

Trump took office with the debt at $20.245 trillion. When he ends his term, it will be $28.527 trillion. Less than Obama's. No need to adjust for inflation. That's still the second largest increase in US History (not by percentage by but raw dollar value).

https://www.thebalance.com/us-debt-by-president-by-dollar-and-percent-3306296

Did any of you fall for these claims and think the wrong thing? Were you surprised at the true statements? Are there other myths floating around that I don't know about?

Blindside12
If the typical leftist crowd here came for facts, we would be in a different place here. All they come here for is to bash "Trumpers" and the "Orange Baffoon."

Surtur
It almost seems like Obama was mostly hype.

https://vigilantcitizen.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/leadportrait.jpg

^^Obama, contemplating which conservative group to send the IRS after next.

Robtard
Donald Trump (as projected in FY 2019 budget): Plans to add $8.282 trillion, a 41 percent increase from the $20.245 trillion debt at the end of Obama's last budget, FY 2017. If he spends as he hopes, Trump will add the second-highest dollar amount in history. More important, he will add almost as much in his first term as Obama did in two terms.

#maga

'This tax cut isn't for the rich, I totally swear guys, it's for you plebs, believe me!' -El Trumpie

Oh, Trumpers...

Blindside12
Still having trouble understanding what this picture is supposed to mean, as is Obama and the rest of the world.

Surtur
Rob is just mad the tax plan is becoming more popular and some Dems are scrambling because of it.

Democrats are surprised that more money in pay checks is popular

Blindside12
Originally posted by Robtard
#maga

'This tax cut isn't for the rich, I totally swear guys, it's for you plebs, believe me!' -El Trumpie

Oh, Trumpers...

So how much does the DCCC and correct the record pay you? Can't be worth it, I know for damn sure any other boss would not approve of you being on this forum all day debating politics.

Robtard
Originally posted by Surtur
Rob is just mad the tax plan is becoming more popular and some Dems are scrambling because of it.

Democrats are surprised that more money in pay checks is popular

HYG, sport:

"Donald Trump (as projected in FY 2019 budget): Plans to add $8.282 trillion, a 41 percent increase from the $20.245 trillion debt at the end of Obama's last budget, FY 2017. If he spends as he hopes, Trump will add the second-highest dollar amount in history. More important, he will add almost as much in his first term as Obama did in two terms. -Facts

When the middleclass has to end up paying it all back, I'm sure you'll still be smug.

Blindside12
.50 cents a post or is it salary like Bob Craft?

Surtur
HYG, sport:

"Donald Trump (as projected in FY 2019 budget): Plans to add $8.282 trillion, a 41 percent increase from the $20.245 trillion debt at the end of Obama's last budget, FY 2017. If he spends as he hopes, Trump will add the second-highest dollar amount in history. More important, he will add almost as much in his first term as Obama did in two terms. -Facts

When the middleclass has to end up paying it all back, I'm sure you'll still be smug.

It's okay Rob, you ignore all the positive impacts of this and that more and more people are coming around to supporting the tax plan. Do what you leftists do best. Pretend this is Wisconsin and Michigan, just ignore it.

Robtard
"But Trump said the tax cut wasn't for him and the top percenters; he wouldn't lie to us!" -Trumpers

Blindside12
Rob's a paid leftist online troll. Same as those awful Russian trolls.

Robtard
It's okay Rob, you ignore all the positive impacts of this and that more and more people are coming around to supporting the tax plan. Do what you leftists do best. Pretend this is Wisconsin and Michigan, just ignore it.

^
Ignoring the financial figures posted by the OP while declaring a win for himself

Surtur
"But Trump said the tax cut wasn't for him and the top percenters; he wouldn't lie to us!" -Trumpers

Trump said it wasn't only for them, and it's not.

Surtur
^
Ignoring the financial figures posted by the OP while declaring a win for himself

Not ignoring the figures. Just not agreeing with what you think it means. Do better.

Nephthys

Yeah, some people might even make an extra dollar a week!

BackFire
Originally posted by dadudemon

FY 2017 - The deficit was $666 billion.

So Alex Jones was right, Obama really was satan. I smell sulfur.

Surtur
Originally posted by Nephthys
Yeah, some people might even make an extra dollar a week!

Lol lets assume what you say is the literal truth. 1 extra dollar a week.

An extra $52 a year. Crumbs Pelosi, a few years ago, was hyping up a bill that would have saved her constituents $40 a year. But...she is calling figures of $1000 a year crumbs now. Weird. But even $52 would be more than $40. So hey...she should be happen.

jaden101
It'll be interesting if there's a massive financial crash during Trump's presidency and he has to mitigate for that.

Robtard

In regards to the tax bill:

"Not Good for Me, Believe Me." -Trump

"Will cost me a fortune." -Trump

You're being a very good Trumpcuck, at least for now. I suspect that if things go poorly for him, you'll jump off the bandwagon as quickly as you jumped on after he won.

Surtur

You're being a very good Trumpcuck, at least for now. I suspect that if things go poorly for him, you'll jump off the bandwagon as quickly as you jumped on after he won.

It's okay Rob, you aren't intelligent enough for your suspicions to be taken seriously.

Robtard
IOW: "I was wrong in my claim, so I'm going to insult!" -Surtur

Blindside12
Rob, you insult people all day long, so when you cry wolf, it doesnt work.

Surtur
IOW: "I was wrong in my claim, so I'm going to insult!" -Surtur

My claim wasn't wrong. You can't conceal and carry a rifle. The entire point of conceal and carry is to be able to quickly use a weapon if you need it. Then here comes Rob, talking about how you can fold up guns and conceal them. But that's not exactly something you can just whip out at any moment.

You're retarded. You can't just hide it under a coat if you want people to not know you have a weapon.

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/rifle-concealed-carry-practical-anti-terrorist-choices/

Robtard
My claim wasn't wrong. You can't conceal and carry a rifle. The entire point of conceal and carry is to be able to quickly use a weapon if you need it. Then here comes Rob, talking about how you can fold up guns and conceal them. But that's not exactly something you can just whip out at any moment.

You're retarded. You can't just hide it under a coat if you want people to not know you have a weapon.

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/rifle-concealed-carry-practical-anti-terrorist-choices/

Um, we're talking about Trump's claim that the tax bill won't benefit him/the rich, not guns, so you're clearly melting down right now trying to shift your incorrect claims to a different subject. Not on my watch though. Nope.

On the topic of guns, there are folding rifles which you can conceal; this is a fact; it won't be argued, sport. So you're incorrect on both matters. Do better for yourself.

Blindside12

One of the BARN boys said, that nobody should defend themselves, "run outside and call the police" was his answer to violence.

Surtur
Um, we're talking about Trump's claim that the tax bill won't benefit him/the rich, not guns, so you're clearly melting down right now trying to shift your incorrect claims to a different subject. Not on my watch though. Nope.

On the topic of guns, there are folding rifles which you can conceal; this is a fact; it won't be argued, sport. So you're incorrect on both matters. Do better for yourself.

And the ones that fold up can't be concealed easily You need to carry a bag with you, etc. Try harder, do better, be smarter.

And No, it won't be argued.

BackFire
Or a guitar case.

Robtard
Originally posted by BackFire
Or a guitar case.
Or under your arm, some are very compact when they fold.

Surtur
Originally posted by Blindside12
One of the BARN boys said, that nobody should defend themselves, "run outside and call the police" was his answer to violence.

Lol wait really? Which retard said this?

BackFire
Some guns fold, some guns don't.

Can't explain that.

Blindside12
Lol wait really? Which retard said this?

Neph, he said it to you, remember?

Surtur
Some guns fold, some guns don't.

Can't explain that.

Gotta know when to hold em and when to fold em.

Robtard
And the ones that fold up can't be concealed easily You need to carry a bag with you, etc. Try harder, do better, be smarter.

And No, it won't be argued.

What exactly does your ignorance of guns have to do with you being wrong about Trump's claim that the tax bill wouldn't benefit him/someone like him? Still trying to shift the topic, not on my watch, sport.

Case in point:

:0

Surtur
Neph, he said it to you, remember?

So many people say so many retarded things, but that is hilarious.

Remember, cops are supposed to be bad(to leftists). BUT, they should also be the only people given weapons, some say. Cuz reasons. Just like Trump is Hitler, but only the government should have weapons, like some also say.

And the cops can teleport too. You call a cop and bam, time stops, the criminal quietly waits there until the cops arrive via teleportation.

Surtur
What exactly does your ignorance of guns have to do with you being wrong about Trump's claim that the tax bill wouldn't benefit him/someone like him? Still trying to shift the topic, not on my watch, sport.

Case in point:

:0

Rob, take the loss. You should be used to it by now.

Robtard
^Massive Phaggotry exposed

"I love it." -Donnie Jr

Surtur

"I love it." -Donnie Jr

Rob, take the loss. You failed.

Blindside12

"I love it." -Donnie Jr

"This is my last election, tell Vlad, after my election I will have more flexibility."

Robtard
Trumpers derailing this thread cos these facts sting:

Donald Trump (as projected in FY 2019 budget): Plans to add $8.282 trillion, a 41 percent increase from the $20.245 trillion debt at the end of Obama's last budget, FY 2017. If he spends as he hopes, Trump will add the second-highest dollar amount in history. More important, he will add almost as much in his first term as Obama did in two terms. -snip

Surtur

Donald Trump (as projected in FY 2019 budget): Plans to add $8.282 trillion, a 41 percent increase from the $20.245 trillion debt at the end of Obama's last budget, FY 2017. If he spends as he hopes, Trump will add the second-highest dollar amount in history. More important, he will add almost as much in his first term as Obama did in two terms. -snip

^^He's so angry right now, it's hilarious.

Blindside12
"When Obama colludes with Russia its ok"
Libtards 2022

Surtur
They always have a reason for why when they do things it's okay, but when others do it...it's not.

Like Dems using the nuclear option for voting a few years ago, then whining about Republicans saying they wanna do it. You see it was okay then, because the mean Republicans were being mean. It's not okay now, cuz...reasons.

Just like correcting facts. Trump exaggerates a crowd size? Big news. Numerous outlets lie about school shootings? Meh.

Blindside12
"We know the constitution better then anyone"
Libtards 2022

dadudemon
#maga

Oh, Trumpers...

This is important and something I did not point out: Trump will likely not win a second term so Obama will get the trophy for worst national debt numbers.

But Trump will almost hit Obama's numbers in 4 years what Obama took to do in 8 years.

Edit - I apologize for not representing these facts correctly. It is very obvious to anyone with a brain that the numbers are 4 years vs. 8 and that I did not intentionally mislead. However, it still looks like that...and I didn't mean to. sad

BackFire
Just curious DDM, about how confident are you that Trump won't win another term?

Putinbot1
Originally posted by dadudemon
This is important and something I did not point out: Trump will likely not win a second term so Obama will get the trophy for worst national debt numbers.

But Trump will almost hit Obama's numbers in 4 years what Obama took to do in 8 years.

Edit - I apologize for not representing these facts correctly. It is very obvious to anyone with a brain that the numbers are 4 years vs. 8 and that I did not intentionally mislead. However, it still looks like that...and I didn't mean to. sad Fair play mate, Trump is twice as bad. Good point.

snowdragon
It will be interesting to see how far the US Debt clock will be in comparison:

Comparison US Debt Clock

SquallX

dadudemon
Just curious DDM, about how confident are you that Trump won't win another term?

99%

But the other 1% might get him elected (ha, an economic pun that is topically and politically relevant...damn, I'm good).

Blindside12
What has Trump done exactly that's been so disasterous?

He's stacking up economic and trade wins, got India to lower their VAT to 50%, was 100%

The wall is done being tested and the judge ruled he can forgo the rules to build it

The ISIS caliphate has been destroyed

The tax cuts are working

The military is fully funded for the next 2 years.

Illegal immigration has gone down 60-70%

Manufacturing is on the rise

Companies are brining back their foriegn money and investing in America

Surtur

He got two scoops of ice cream when everyone else got one. People forget that on Hitlers first day in office he did the same thing.

Blindside12
Liberals: Trump is Hitler!
Common Sense: Would Hitler move their Israeli embassy to Israel?
Liberals: TRUMP RUSSIA!!!

Surtur
My favorite is when they say "Hitler didn't gas the jews right away". You see cuz Trump totally is Hitler, he just hasn't full transformed into him yet, but soon...very soon.

Blindside12
How about the "Trump is going to rot in prison"

Robtard

Blindside12

He's stacking up economic and trade wins, got India to lower their VAT to 50%, was 100%

The wall is done being tested and the judge ruled he can forgo the rules to build it

The tax cuts are working

dadudemon

The tax cuts are working

Citations, man. We talked about this and we both know how out of hand that convo got.

Normally, I'd just look up each point and cite it for you but it would take me too long and I want to poop and work out.

Flyattractor
I am to lazy to read thru all the rest of this thread. How lond did it take for the Lefty Fascist Bullshit to be totally pointed out?

Eternal Idol

Eternal Idol
On a completely unrelated note, I ****ing hate when I have to edit a post or even quote someone, and KMC goes full-retard.

Surtur
If I was a democrat...I'd shut my mouth about the tax plan. Period. I'd keep it closed. Because when people begin seeing bigger paychecks, etc. they're gonna remember the politicians that whined about this, told them it was bad, told them they'd get crumbs, etc.

But they won't learn. They never do. They did the same thing with net neutrality. It's all doom and gloom, and here we are months later and the earth still spins.

SquallX

Eternal Idol
If I was a democrat...I'd shut my mouth about the tax plan. Period. I'd keep it closed. Because when people begin seeing bigger paychecks, etc. they're gonna remember the politicians that whined about this, told them it was bad, told them they'd get crumbs, etc.

But they won't learn. They never do. They did the same thing with net neutrality. It's all doom and gloom, and here we are months later and the earth still spins.

No, it is a valid point. If someone got to keep an extra $1000 after-tax throughout the year, that's only an extra $19.23 per week they're saving. If they're one of the few who got a one-time bonus of a $1,000, they'll only get to keep just over half of that after taxes.

It's not nothing, and it does help them a bit, but it does very little to alleviate their financial hardships in the long-term like increased wages and lower taxes would. In a few years, they'll benefit even less because their taxes will get raised, while the wealthy's taxes stay the same.

Robtard
Originally posted by Eternal Idol
No, it is a valid point. If someone got to keep an extra $1000 after-tax throughout the year, that's only an extra $19.23 per week they're saving. If they're one of the few who got a one-time bonus of a $1,000, they'll only get to keep just over half of that after taxes.

It's not nothing, and it does help them a bit, but it does very little to alleviate their financial hardships in the long-term like increased wages and lower taxes would. In a few years, they'll benefit even less because their taxes will get raised, while the wealthy's taxes stay the same.

^ Bingo

Surtur
Originally posted by Eternal Idol

No, it's not a valid point when the person calling it crumbs, in the past, celebrated a tax plan that would have saved $40 a year.

Eternal Idol

Eternal Idol
No, it's not a valid point when the person calling it crumbs, in the past, celebrated a tax plan that would have saved $40 a year.

Yes, it is a valid point. Most Americans won't benefit much from such a slight and temporary increase.

Pelosi's comments about a tax plan saving Americans $40 a year don't change anything. Both plans blow, and don't help most Americans enough to get them out of their financial hardships.

DarthPlaguis12
Every time I hear someone talk about Obama it's the sane thing, he was just so etiquette and smart! Right, while driving the debt up, giving money to NK and Iran, messing up health care, etc etc.

Same with trump...I HATE TRUMP CAUSE HE SAYS MEAN THINGS mad

Flyattractor
I think we should just have to face the fact that Trump has to deal with all the HORRIBLE THINGS he INHERITED from the Obama Administration.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.