Ion Fury

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
A new old school style shooter using Duke Nukem 3D & Shadow Warrior's engine, Published by 3D Realms

QcAwzusZUrQ

Nemesis X
A prequel to 3D Realms' last game, Bombshell, I believe. That I hear didn't do well but second chances are always good and often get good results. There a console release?

Kazenji
Can already play it on Steam, Its in early access and the reviews are positive.

Nemesis X
Late hearing about this but a console port is in fact happening for Xbox, PS4 and Switch this year. No specifics yet for when though.

https://www.destructoid.com/ion-maiden-will-be-getting-a-physical-release-and-console-ports-528189.phtml

Kazenji
I'm just hoping the other episodes for it aren't a disappointment, As you can only play the first one at the moment with it being in early access.

cdtm
Ehh, think I might pass.

There are SO many free mods and such out there for Duke3d, Doom, ect.. And I can play Shadow Warrior for free.

Something like this smells too much of "New money for old rope". Am sure it will be overpriced, and I hate "pay now, get full game later" systems.

cdtm
Just checked Steam:

20 dollars. laughing

No thanks.

Kazenji
Originally posted by cdtm

There are SO many free mods and such out there for Duke3d, Doom, ect.. And I can play Shadow Warrior for free..

Except this isn't a mod

They're using the Ken Silverman build engine which Duke Nukem 3D used and many other games and pushing it even further

MHQv4mSG7_I&t

Kazenji
Originally posted by cdtm Am sure it will be overpriced, and I hate "pay now, get full game later" systems.
They're not all bad with that system

Amid Evil is still in Early Access and you get access to 6 episodes so far and no you don't need to pay for those episodes like DLC.

cdtm
Originally posted by Kazenji
Except this isn't a mod

They're using the Ken Silverman build engine which Duke Nukem 3D used and many other games and pushing it even further

MHQv4mSG7_I&t

How's that different then a "limit breaking source port"?

Kazenji
Just because you're hating on it doesn't make you cool.

cdtm
It was an honest question.

Kazenji
And seems to me you have to always find some angle to hate on.

cdtm
Ok?

Not sure why my preferences concern you.. You're free to buy and enjoy it.

I just don't think it's for me. The fact is, most 90's fps's haven't aged well, and a brand new fps that plays just like old games isn't something I'm very interested in, when I could just play old games I'm actually nostalgic about (And likely wouldn't play if not for nostalgia.)

Nemesis X
The Iron Maiden band filed a lawsuit over the name of the game, forcing 3D Realms to cave and change it from Ion Maiden to Ion Fury.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/7/11/20690352/ion-fury-ion-maiden-lawsuit-iron-maiden-duke-nukem-3d-realms-release-dates-pc-switch-xbox-one-ps4

Here's the trailer confirming the change.
zjnhRz_GP3c

Smasandian
Consider in the last 2 minutes looking up this game, I thought it said Iron Maiden and was thinking of the band.

Makes sense for the band to do so.

cdtm
They're vastly different medium's, though.

I guess they're within their rights, but this thing is literally no threat at all to their thing. Nor, do I believe the Iron Maiden brand will sell any games (And you'd have to be really stupid to buy a game without knowing anything about it)

Smasandian
Doesn't matter if they are different mediums.
It's a terrible name and it's very similar to one of the most popular metal bands.

If I said, "oh, I'm playing this game called Ion Maiden", I would say 95% of the people would make the mistake it's something to do with the band.

Nemesis X
Eh. Ion Maiden grew on me so the change is kind of a bummer but I understand the reason.

Kazenji
I doubt it was from the actual band itself doing the lawsuit, Most likely from their record label.

ares834
I've no interest in this game at all. But **** trademark BS like this.

Kazenji
3D Realms almost had a lawsuit over the Duke Nukem name when they owned that IP. When Captain Planet was on air they changed Nukem to Nukum because of said character on the show

they later changed it back and registered the name after finding out the creator's of that show didn't trademark their character.

ares834
Interesting. Admittedly, that is a far more understandable as "Duke Nukem" is an original name. By contrast, Iron Maiden is not an original or unique phrase and furthermore they weren't even calling the game Iron Maiden. It's ridiculous.

cdtm
Originally posted by Kazenji
I doubt it was from the actual band itself doing the lawsuit, Most likely from their record label.

Probably. I remember hearing something about a label going after music band members themselves uploaded to YouTube, and striking it down.

Kazenji
And of course the game has gotten 9/10's scores....7.5/10 if you still consider IGN's game scores

read something the other day 3D Realms would like to work with Gearbox on a new Duke Nukem game, Obviously the ball is in their court.

Nemesis X
Don't mind me. Just waiting for the console version T-T

Kazenji
I'm waiting for a discount, It might be a good game but i'm not paying $40.

Nemesis X
Really? Could've sworn it was $25.

Kazenji
Sorry, It's actually $36 for me on Steam after they changed all the pricing to Australian dollar.

Kazenji
The dev's of this game have been pissing off the SJW crowd, They're not wrong tho with some of comments.

https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/583051-ion-fury-transphobia-discord? fbclid=IwAR0867SQEYc1ocedFupGrLc5BlAxbGOYZKTsC_F7V
Vlj6NtbABc-tV6EetE

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.