What was Sidious' plan?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dark-Kenshin
In the series finale, suppose that Ezra bends a knee and becomes Sidious' newly groomed apprentice. There, Palpatine finally has access to the world between worlds. What does Palpatine do with all this power?

Rockydonovang
gets a yacht.

Galan007
Originally posted by Dark-Kenshin
In the series finale, suppose that Ezra bends a knee and becomes Sidious' newly groomed apprentice. There, Palpatine finally has access to the world between worlds. What does Palpatine do with all this power? Removes all future opposition. Alters any past event he wants. Becomes supreme.

Kurk
Goes back in time to stop Ani from eating a c0ck against Kenobi

Freedon Nadd
He is gonna become a mighty op being.

Zentrex
nothing. That's the point. Palpatine, and really all sith, are after power. Some sith want to do things with it. Others, like Palpatine, just kind of want to hoard all the power and information they can. It bothers him that he does not have access to the world between worlds. The basic, satisfied state of the world is Palpatine having the power to do whatever he wants whenever he wants, and althogh no one, including Palpatine himself, is ever clear on what these "wants" are, the goal is to make them possible. And you have to admit, he's gotten pretty far witht that endeavor.

Galan007
Originally posted by Zentrex
nothing. That's the point. Palpatine, and really all sith, are after power. Some sith want to do things with it. Others, like Palpatine, just kind of want to hoard all the power and information they can. It bothers him that he does not have access to the world between worlds. The basic, satisfied state of the world is Palpatine having the power to do whatever he wants whenever he wants, and althogh no one, including Palpatine himself, is ever clear on what these "wants" are, the goal is to make them possible. And you have to admit, he's gotten pretty far witht that endeavor. Incorrect. Palpatine's canon end-goal was always to reshape the entire universe in his own image -- essentially becoming 'god' of sorts. The Tarkin novelization made Palpatine's machinations explicitly clear:

"And would not allow himself to be sidetracked from his goal of unlocking the secrets many Sith Masters before him had sought -- the means to harness the powers of the dark side to reshape reality itself; in effect, to fashion a universe of his own creation. Not mere immortality of the sort Plagueis had lusted after, but influence of the ultimate sort."

...And access to the 'World Between Worlds' would have allowed him to fully realize the the power/control he sought.

Minister Hydan: "It is a pathway through all time and space. He who controls it, controls the universe."

Kurk
So sheev is just some OCPD control freak...got it.

FreshestSlice
It's the exact same mindset he's had for 30 years at this point.

The Ellimist
It is interesting that they kept that part of Sidious's machinations from Legends.

Zentrex
Well, that's...hm

Sidious never struck me, in legends, as the kind of guy who would be a pawn to the dark side. That was always Vitiate's thing. Sidious was the kind of guy who was always in control of himself. Strong willpower. But in the new canon I guess they've turned Palpatine into Vitiate. I am...disappointed. But whatever. To me, the real sheev will always be the legends one.

Freedon Nadd
Even in movies he seemed a dark side pawn.

Zentrex
Originally posted by Freedon Nadd
Even in movies he seemed a dark side pawn.

Really? I never sensed that. I mean, that part of the lore wasn't even there at the time he was first introduced, and never became a big part of the movies, especially the prequels.

And being a pawn of the dark side would imply that he'd become out of touch with himself and his personality, because the lust for power had taken that over. But in the movies, you saw that he was largely in doing what HE wanted to do, not what the dark side MAKES someone do, in the process making them lose who they are.

Freedon Nadd
He worships the dark side. Every time he gives an epic line, he says come over the dark side. Strike me down, forfill your destiny, et cetera

Zentrex
He likes the dark side. That doesn't mean he lets it consume him necessarily.

Freedon Nadd
He is consumed by it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.