Oprah and God talking to her

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Blindside12
Mike Pence gets slammed for saying Jesus speaks to him, but Oprah gets applauded and encouraged to run saying she is waiting for God to talk to her to tell her to run.

One was viewed as batshit crazy, the other was treated rather normally.

So whats the difference?

The Ellimist
Well the difference is that Pence is second in line to the most powerful office in the world while Oprah is just a...

...oh, wait.

Blindside12
So Oprah is nobody, and what she said does not matter? Sorry, if his religious beliefs are going to be on trial, so are hers. Your rebuttal is rather weak and you know that because thats all you have, and you know you have no point, you just dont want to point out the hypocrisy as you are part of it.

jaden101
It'd be good to know their actual quotes on it. That being said, I think anyone who formulates their life choices based on imaginary beings is batshit anyway.

Blindside12

jaden101
And Pence's

DarthPlaguis12
Robtard will be here in 3....2....1

Blindside12
Originally posted by jaden101
And Pence's

No direct quotes, just rumors of what he said, but it was something about praying to God.

jaden101
Oh well. Seems God ignores both equally.

Can't imagine why.

Blindside12

Emperordmb
What an innocent statement.

No idea why that would trigger people.

Blindside12
It is because you can't "persecute" African Americans for being Christian... unless they are blatantly conservative (see Ben Carson).

Robtard
Originally posted by Emperordmb
What an innocent statement.

No idea why that would trigger people.

Actually agreed.

Curious who had a problem with it?

SquallX

Blindside12
Originally posted by Robtard
Actually agreed.

Curious who had a problem with it?

Twitter had a meltdown (thousands of people)

The View a meltdown, plus their audience

Colbert had meltdown.

Bill Maher had a meltdown,

Enough for you?

Robtard
Originally posted by Blindside12
Twitter had a meltdown (thousands of people)

The View a meltdown, plus their audience

Colbert had meltdown.

Bill Maher had a meltdown,

Enough for you?

Don't care about rando Twitter trolls.

Link?

Link?

Link? (Though admittedly Maher does often take his bias against religion too far)

Blindside12
Also Jimmy Kimmil

Blindside12
The view

RNpm_NglrJQ

Colbert
https://www.thedailybeast.com/stephen-colbert-questions-if-god-really-does-believe-in-mike-pence

Jimmy Kimmil

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2018/03/04/jimmy-kimmels-oscars-monologue-takes-aim-at-trump-pence-and-harvey-weinstein/?utm_term=.affe8a8e87f0

Blindside12

Surtur
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Well the difference is that Pence is second in line to the most powerful office in the world while Oprah is just a...

...oh, wait.

It's certainly true Pence is in a more powerful position, but it would have been possible to mock both as crazy, while noting that if both are indeed crazy there is one of them capable of doing more damage than the other.

Blindside12
Now being religious is dangerous while all these losers told us Obama was Christianlaughing out loud

Surtur
Now being religious is dangerous while all these losers told us Obama was Christianlaughing out loud

It seems that believing in a deity and thinking it or its children talk to you is crazy.

One wonders if they would call a Muslim who thinks Allah talks to them crazy.

Blindside12
No it's this.

It is because you can't "persecute" African Americans for being Christian... unless they are blatantly conservative (see Ben Carson).

Oh and hell no, if you are Muslim, it's hands off. You can't say shit.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Surtur
It seems that believing in a deity and thinking it or its children talk to you is crazy.

you believe that, so why are you phrasing it as if you disagree. you've proven yourself a rabid anti-theist on many occasions.

Robtard
Situational Theism.

eg When someone who doesn't believe in god, but prays to god for good fortune when something terrible happens to them.

jaden101

One wonders if they would call a Muslim who thinks Allah talks to them crazy.

I often do.

Adam_PoE
Situational Theism.

eg When someone who doesn't believe in god, but prays to god for good fortune when something terrible happens to them.

It is not situation theism, it is situational ethics. He will side with Christians if doing so will "stick it to librulz." It is the same reason he sides with anti-LGBT adoption agencies and bakers on those issues as well. Not because of any personal anti-LGBT animus, but because LGBT rights are championed by liberals, and it is a way to exercise his anti-liberal animus by siding against them on an issue that is of importance to them. It is very childish.

Robtard
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
It is not situation theism, it is situational ethics. He will side with Christians if doing so will "stick it to librulz." It is the same reason he sides with anti-LGBT adoption agencies and bakers on those issues as well. Not because of any personal anti-LGBT animus, but because LGBT rights are championed by liberals, and it is a way to exercise his anti-liberal animus by siding against them on an issue that is of importance to them. It is very childish.

I stand corrected.

The Ellimist
tbh not sure if I'd vote for Oprah over Trump

Surtur
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
you believe that, so why are you phrasing it as if you disagree. you've proven yourself a rabid anti-theist on many occasions.

Oh I don't think it's wrong. I am just amused that, going by that logic, Islam is full of crazy shitheads too. But these little dweebs would never have the balls to say that, they'll talk shit about Pence though.

Surtur

I can't speak for others, but I just don't think anyone should be forced to bake a cake if they don't want to.

It's just a bonus liberals whine like b*tches over not being able to force people to do shit(and yet whined about slavery too).

Bashar Teg
Oh I don't think it's wrong. I am just amused that,
nice try

you regularly partake in bashing of all religion including christianity. you don't just observe, you participate. if you had any integrity, you wouldn't such a pussy about it right now. are you afraid of offending TI?

Surtur
nice try

you regularly partake in bashing of all religion including christianity. you don't just observe, you participate. if you had any integrity, you wouldn't such a pussy about it right now. are you afraid of offending TI?

Nice try about what, little one?

Do I need to bold this?

All religions are awful. The world would be better without them. Especially Islam.

Do better kiddo.

Bashar Teg
that's not the same as mocking someone for being religious. clearly you don't want to piss off your special bro, and are self-censoring..

Surtur
that's not the same as mocking someone for being religious. clearly you don't want to piss off your special bro, and are self-censoring..

He's seen me mock religion before, plenty have.

Did you want another shot? I'll allow it.

Bashar Teg
you just continue making sure you don't bash christans in front of him. pussy.

Surtur

^Love seeing this coward talk shit lol, love it.

Bashar Teg

TheVaultDweller
I don't know if someone might have brought this up somewhere already, but a somewhat similar thing recently happened with the whole Chris Pratt-Kevin Smith heart attack thing. People pretty much attacking Pratt on Twitter for saying something along the lines of having Kevin Smith in his prayers. It says a lot that Kevin Smith himself had to publicly defend Pratt's comments lol.

Robtard

Pretty much, yeah

Surtur

Love triggering snowflakes like you.

Bashar Teg
he said, treading lightly and hiding his contempt for christians.

Surtur
he said, treading lightly and hiding his contempt for christians.

You take that fake narrative and run with it kiddo thumb up

Robtard

Surtur
Love the triggerdom, you two aren't 69'ing each other at all wink

Bashar Teg
You take that fake narrative and run with it kiddo thumb up

it's not a narrative. or did someone hack your account when you compared christianity to terrorism?

Here is the thing you don't get though. Christianity is focused on because that religion has a vastly larger effect on this country then Islam or anything else. You see Radical Islam is the enemy, but you say it as if it's the only threat. Christianity represents are different kind of problem, it's more subtle..not something physical.

As much as people might be afraid of terrorists, Christianity has far more of an effect on the everyday lives of people in this country.

Surtur
Lol kiddo, the false narrative is that there is any hesitation to bash religion.

But this topic was more about leftist hypocrisy, so I can see why it triggered you and you are trying the tactic you are now. Love it.

Bashar Teg
Lol kiddo, the false narrative is that there is any hesitation to bash religion.

But this topic was more about leftist hypocrisy, so I can see why it triggered you and you are trying the tactic you are now. Love it.

that's your best explanation?

Surtur
that's your best explanation?

Does the truth disturb you? It's okay.

And still hypocritical as hell for anyone who thought Pence was crazy but doesn't think Oprah is.

Robtard

Surtur

Bashar Teg
Does the truth disturb you? It's okay.

And still hypocritical as hell for anyone who thought Pence was crazy but doesn't think Oprah is. ive compared hardline chrisians to terrorists, but i don't recall ever demonizing all of christianity like that. your attitude toward christians is very changable because you're two faced.

Surtur
ive compared hardline chrisians to terrorists, but i don't recall ever demonizing all of christianity like that. your attitude toward christians is very changable because you're two faced.

Lol, you're one of the most two faced people here kiddo. Do better.

And I stand by everything I've said about Christianity or Islam.

Bashar Teg
he can't back peddle or spin it, and that's why he's broken now.

Digi
Context matters here. If you're religious, God "talking" to you is easy to see as metaphoric. Lots of people would agree that God has "spoken" to them through signs and prayer. But you'll also lose a certain percentage of that if you purport to have a literal prayer-line to God, and he's giving you practical advice on - say - policy decisions. Most will happily subscribe to "God works in mysterious ways" but will turn skeptical if you take it too much further than that.

From a more secular bent, it's easy to see both statements as asinine, though again, context could temper one reaction or another. But I'd say there isn't much difference in the two statements. I'm not sure where the hypocrisy is, tbh. I've "applauded" politicians my whole life whose religious views I usually disagree with, because it's the world we live in and I'm more interested in other things. As it is, I don't know Oprah's positions well enough to say much on her specifically. Her predilection for endorsing the pseudo-scientific, predatory wings of the self-help industry makes me a bit skeptical, but she's clearly intelligent in many respects.

And from a practical perspective, many will criticize one and applaud the other, but it has more to do with their body of work than a single statement. If you agree with Oprah's worldview, one statement you disagree with won't be treated as harshly. If you agree with Pence's worldview/policies/etc., same thing. And same for disagreement. So it's likely that any hypocrisy in response really isn't hypocrisy, it's just people having some holistic perspective.

Surtur
Originally posted by Digi
Context matters here. If you're religious, God "talking" to you is easy to see as metaphoric. Lots of people would agree that God has "spoken" to them through signs and prayer. But you'll also lose a certain percentage of that if you purport to have a literal prayer-line to God, and he's giving you practical advice on - say - policy decisions. Most will happily subscribe to "God works in mysterious ways" but will turn skeptical if you take it too much further than that.

From a more secular bent, it's easy to see both statements as asinine, though again, context could temper one reaction or another. But I'd say there isn't much difference in the two statements. I'm not sure where the hypocrisy is, tbh.

And from a practical perspective, many will criticize one and applaud the other, but it has more to do with their body of work than a single statement. If you agree with Oprah's worldview, one statement you disagree with won't be treated as harshly. If you agree with Pence's worldview/policies/etc., same thing. And same for disagreement. So it's likely that any hypocrisy in response really isn't hypocrisy, it's just people having some holistic perspective.

Nah, it's hypocrisy.

All or nothing thing. Either you think these imaginary beings can contact you or you don't.

If you do, there is to be zero whining just cuz someone else thinks so.

Bashar Teg
Nah, it's hypocrisy.

All or nothing thing. Either you think these imaginary beings can contact you or you don't.

wow you dissected his argument like a surgeon.

Surtur
wow you dissected his argument like a surgeon.

It didn't need dissecting like a surgeon. It's an all or nothing thing. Either thinking imaginary beings contacting you is crazy or it isn't.

And that isn't the only hypocrisy. The hypocrisy comes from knowing if some Muslim went "Allah talks to me, no literally talks to me" leftists wouldn't be calling them crazy.

So no, I just don't buy his reasoning.

Surtur
Cuz here is what isn't true: thinking an omnipotent being signaled you out in order to send you a sign>>>>thinking this being is just legit saying words to you.

Both are crazy, if you really want to get into crazy. No, it's not about this holistic bullshit, someone like Joy Behar is too stupid to be that complex.

I don't doubt the shit Digi said could be the case for some people in the world, but nah, don't buy it for a second it's the case for those who whined.

Digi
It didn't need dissecting like a surgeon. It's an all or nothing thing. Either thinking imaginary beings contacting you is crazy or it isn't.

And that isn't the only hypocrisy. The hypocrisy comes from knowing if some Muslim went "Allah talks to me, no literally talks to me" leftists wouldn't be calling them crazy.

So no, I just don't buy his reasoning.

For me personally, I do think it's crazy. But I'm trying to turn this into a general discussion. And the problem is that there are TONS of people who would make the distinction I made in my first paragraph, depending on the degree to which they think they're conversing with God.

So your assertion doesn't hold up to reality imo.

Bashar Teg
your initial reply to his whole argument was "Nah, it's hypocrisy" before you edited over and over. think before you post, if that's even possible for you.

Surtur
your initial reply to his whole argument was "Nah, it's hypocrisy" before you edited over and over. think before you post, if that's even possible for you.

Yes, it was hypocrisy. Nothing more needed to be said, but I decided to add more.

Surtur
Originally posted by Digi
For me personally, I do think it's crazy. But I'm trying to turn this into a general discussion. And the problem is that there are TONS of people who would make the distinction I made in my first paragraph, depending on the degree to which they think they're conversing with God.

So your assertion doesn't hold up to reality imo.

You are correct, and I'm just saying: nah. I do not buy that the reasoning you are putting forth is what was going through those whining over it's head.

Possible in general, more than likely not the case with, for example...Joy Behar.

And we both know they wouldn't say a damn thing if a Muslim said they literally talked to Allah.

Robtard
he can't back peddle or spin it, and that's why he's broken now.

What's funny is that years and years before I did similar, I said I focus more on Christians being shits than Muslims, because that's what we have to deal with more in the US, some Christians using their religion as a hammer to bash others into submission. But I didn't blanket condemn all of Christianity.

I stand by that to this day; I'm not doing backflips like he is.

Surtur
What's funny is that years and years before I did similar, I said I focus more on Christians being shits than Muslims, because that's what we have to deal with more in the US, some Christians using their religion as a hammer to bash others into submission. But I didn't blanket condemn all of Christianity.

I stand by that to this day; I'm not doing backflips like he is.

By all means, quote me back flipping.

EDIT: Actual back flipping too lol. Not the imaginary kind. Just quote me saying Christians aren't bad or anything like that. Go!

Robtard
By all means, quote me back flipping.

EDIT: Actual back flipping too lol. Not the imaginary kind.

So you're now saying you stand by your assertion that Christianity is more harmful (in the US) than Islamic terrorism?

Surtur
So you're now saying you stand by your assertion that Christianity is more harmful (in the US) than Islamic terrorism?

Lol no no no you aren't gonna pull this shit now. You said I back flipped. Quote me back flipping. Nothing I have said in this topic contradicts anything I said in the post Bash quoted.

You said I back flipped, prove your statement.

Robtard
Rather simple, do you still feel that Christianity is worse than Islamic terrorism in the US?

Here's your quote again:

Here is the thing you don't get though. Christianity is focused on because that religion has a vastly larger effect on this country then Islam or anything else. You see Radical Islam is the enemy, but you say it as if it's the only threat. Christianity represents are different kind of problem, it's more subtle..not something physical.

As much as people might be afraid of terrorists, Christianity has far more of an effect on the everyday lives of people in this country.

If you dance again instead of answering, it's obvious you're just doing flips.

Bashar Teg
to he honest, religion forum surtur makes some decent points, which GDF surter would unfortunately never dare say

Can't speak for all atheists, but when it comes to America..well, Christianity is shoved down our throats a lot more then Islam is. It doesn't say "In Allah We Trust" on our money.

Surtur
Rather simple, do you still feel that Christianity is worse than Islamic terrorism in the US?

Here's your quote again:

If you dance again instead of answering, it's obvious you're just doing flips.

So no, you can't show where I back flipped and are attempting to play games to avoid that fact? Okie dokie.

Surtur
to he honest, religion forum surtur makes some decent points, which GDF surter would unfortunately never dare say

Lol why would I never dare say it? Is Christianity not shoved down our throats more?

Bashar Teg
i said it was a decent point, did i not?

Surtur
i said it was a decent point, did i not?

You also said I wouldn't dare say it now. I have never once said Islam is the dominant religion in this country. Or that it has more power here than Christianity.

Robtard
So no, you can't show where I back flipped and are attempting to play games to avoid that fact? Okie dokie.

Your avoidance of a simple question if you still feel the same over an assertion you made is telling.

Bashar Teg
no no no. you said that christianity is being "shoved down our throats", which i agree to. this is something you do not dare raise here, because you know the majority of trump supporters are christian.

but i must admit, when i did an easy search in the religion forum, i was shocked to see you compare christanity with terrorism. but there it is again:

do you still stand by this statement? for the record, i find it multi-tiered bigoted.

Surtur
Your avoidance of a simple question if you still feel the same over an assertion you made is telling.

Actually, if you read the topic I already answered the question.

I ask again: you say I backflipped, where?

Blindside12
The circus appears to have left town after running out of cotton candy to sell.

Bashar Teg
do you still stand by this statement? for the record, i find it multi-tiered bigoted.

ignoring the question? your intellectual cowardice has been noted.

Surtur
ignoring the question? your intellectual cowardice has been noted.

Lol your question has been answered already retard.

Bashar Teg
you didn't answer it you lying time-wasting phaggot.

Surtur
you didn't answer it you lying time-wasting phaggot.

Incorrect. Re-read the thread and you will see the question has indeed been answered.

Bashar Teg
no you avoided it because you're intellectually dishonest, feeble minded, and childish.

do you stand by your words of bigotry toward christians? like when you compare them to herpes? kinda

There is no "defeating" Christianity in this country. Atheists know this. It's like genital herpes..even if it clears up a bit it is never truly gone.

Adam_PoE
I can't speak for others, but I just don't think anyone should be forced to bake a cake if they don't want to.

That is the cost of doing business in America. If you want to have a business that is open to the public, then you must serve all of the public. If you want to pick and choose who you serve, then you are free to start a private club, where only approved members have access to your good and services. That is how this works.

Surtur
That is the cost of doing business in America. If you want to have a business that is open to the public, then you must serve all of the public. If you want to pick and choose who you serve, then you are free to start a private club, where only approved members have access to your good and services. That is how this works.

Neat, and no. The cost of doing business should be if...folk wanna whine? Don't go to that bakery. Not hard.

Surtur
no you avoided it because you're intellectually dishonest, feeble minded, and childish.

do you stand by your words of bigotry toward christians? like when you compare them to herpes? kinda

Aww, snowflake: it's been answered. It's not up for debate lol. Do better.

Adam_PoE
Neat, and no. The cost of doing business should be if...folk wanna whine? Don't go to that bakery. Not hard.

A Christian doctor recently refused to treat a sick infant, because his parents are lesbians. Is being refused medical attention at a hospital whining? Should these parents have to go from hospital-to-hospital to find a doctor who is willing to treat their baby? What if they live in a rural community, and the nearest hospital is an hour away? What if they live in a region where they cannot find any doctor to treat him? This is happening, because Christians believe they should have a special right to deny service to people they do not like. They think their magical beliefs entitle them to opt out of laws with which they do not agree. And useful idiots like you go right along with it, because you think discrimination is okay.

Robtard
A Christian doctor recently refused to treat a sick infant, because his parents are lesbians.

Clearly what Jesus would have done. "Sorry kid, but your parents are scissor-sisters, no laying of hands for you."

Surtur
A Christian doctor recently refused to treat a sick infant, because his parents are lesbians. Is being refused medical attention at a hospital whining? Should these parents have to go from hospital-to-hospital to find a doctor who is willing to treat their baby? What if they live in a rural community, and the nearest hospital is an hour away? What if they live in a region where they cannot find any doctor to treat him? This is happening, because Christians believe they should have a special right to deny service to people they do not like. They think their magical beliefs entitle them to opt out of laws with which they do not agree. And useful idiots like you go right along with it, because you think discrimination is okay.

Nothing you just said convinced me people should be forced to bake a cake for someone if they don't want to.

Uh, don't doctors take an oath? Like, to help anyone they can? Or some bullshit like that? Or to "do no harm"? And refusing to treat someone is doing harm.

Do bakers take an oath to make cakes for everyone?

EDIT: And yet here is the thing. If a doctor runs his own practice I feel like he can choose whatever patients he wants.

Adam_PoE
Nothing you just said convinced me people should be forced to bake a cake for someone if they don't want to.

Uh, don't doctors take an oath? Like, to help anyone they can? Or some bullshit like that? Or to "do no harm"? And refusing to treat someone is doing harm.

Do bakers take an oath to make cakes for everyone?

EDIT: And yet here is the thing. If a doctor runs his own practice I feel like he can choose whatever patients he wants.

Your slothful induction is not a problem for my argument. To the contrary, it reveals precisely what I said in my previous post to be true, i.e. you are fine with discrimination, so long as it happens to people you do not like. Heaven forbid it happens to you or some Alt-Right broflake, and then you are triggered for days and pages.

Surtur
Your slothful induction is not a problem for my argument. To the contrary, it reveals precisely what I said in my previous post to be true, i.e. you are fine with discrimination, so long as it happens to people you do not like. Heaven forbid it happens to you or some Alt-Right broflake, and then you are triggered for days and pages.

Neat! The reality is I just don't think people should be forced to do something if they run their own business.

Just like I didn't think people should be forced to serve cops. Just like I think that gay guy had a right to kick the Christians out of his coffee shop. Do I wish leftist cucks would react to that with as much rage as they do gays and cakes? Yes, but I still feel the gay guy should be allowed to do what he did.

Adam_PoE
Neat! The reality is I just don't think people should be forced to do something if they run their own business.

Just like I didn't think people should be forced to serve cops. Just like I think that gay guy had a right to kick the Christians out of his coffee shop. Do I wish leftist cucks would react to that with as much rage as they do gays and cakes? Yes, but I still feel the gay guy should be allowed to do what he did.

That is because you are a feckless moron that does not understand the law.

Flyattractor
That is because you are a feckless moron that does not understand the law.

*reported for name calling*

Killjoy12
Mike Pence gets slammed for saying Jesus speaks to him, but Oprah gets applauded and encouraged to run saying she is waiting for God to talk to her to tell her to run.

One was viewed as batshit crazy, the other was treated rather normally.

So whats the difference?

Liberals=Hypocrites

jaden101
So we've established that neither of them said that God talks to them and still the thread ends up in arguments. Fantastic. 👍

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by jaden101
So we've established that neither of them said that God talks to them and still the thread ends up in arguments. Fantastic. 👍

https://i.imgur.com/Cl4iSKi.gif

Robtard
So another 'fake news' thread for Trumpites to act the victim then? Lovely.

Surtur
The claim wasn't she talks to God or that she said he talks to her. The claim was that she wouldn't run for president unless God gave her a sign.

The claim was that Mike Pence thought Jesus talked to him. The point of the thread was the different reactions to these things.

Pence never said anything about it, it was I think Omarosa who made the claim.

Robtard
So you freaked out over some nonsense Omarosa said then. Yeah, that's retarded as well.

Surtur
So you freaked out over some nonsense Omarosa said then. Yeah, that's retarded as well.

I didn't freak out over anything. What Omarosa said lead to what Joy Behar said about Pence.

Bashar Teg
george w bush said that be believed god wanted him to be president.
conservatives/republicans have been comfortable with that level of batshit for some time now.

Surtur
As a child these people(the catholic church) fed me the symbolic blood of their deity. That's straight up cult behavior.

Robtard
george w bush said that be believed god wanted him to be president.
conservatives/republicans have been comfortable with that level of batshit for some time now.

He also said god talks to him and he makes policy based off of that.

Surtur
I was just reminded of that one cartoon "That's My Bush". I remember it being kinda funny.

Rockydonovang
Friendly reminder "in god we trust" is legally required to be printed on us currency. But hey, go bonkers about a tv host...

Emperordmb
I like our currency.

Rockydonovang
I like our currency.
Which doesn't warrant forced religious propoganda.

Emperordmb
I like our currency.

Rockydonovang
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Which doesn't warrant forced religious propoganda.

lazybones
I like our currency. zimbabwe's is better.

no wait venezuela's

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.