Darth Malgus vs. Obi-Wan Kenobi

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Rebel95
Both characters in their prime, legends only, all out fight to the death. Who wins?

SheGotHerOwn
hmm

Nephthys
Malgus ragdolls.

LordOfTheLight
Obi Wan stomps.

ILS
Kenobi.

Freedon Nadd
Benobi or Kenkenobi?

cs_zoltan
https://media.giphy.com/media/1zSz5MVw4zKg0/giphy.gif

MythLord
Originally posted by Freedon Nadd
Benobi or Kenkenobi?
Every time you post, an angel falls from grace.

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by MythLord
Every time you post, an angel falls from grace.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/5ea6ce903f7beb1ba55114828a218168/tumblr_mw1sztSNSD1s2wqx2o1_500.gif

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by cs_zoltan
https://media.giphy.com/media/1zSz5MVw4zKg0/giphy.gif https://media3.giphy.com/media/MSS0COPq80x68/giphy.gif

The Ellimist
Obi Wan's performance against Dooku in Stover's novelization gives him the solid W.

FreshestSlice
Obi-Wan

deathslash
Kenobi solidly takes this.

Nephthys
How does he possibly stand up to Malgus' Force powers? Dude could choke out any of the Act III protags who are more powerful than Kenobi.

NewGuy01
thumb up And still lose to each of them.

Nephthys

FreshestSlice
That doesn't change that Malgus is below the protags as in game dialogue supports the possibility of him being defeated alone, not that there is a canon to deny it any longer.

ILS
Originally posted by Nephthys
How does he possibly stand up to Malgus' Force powers? Dude could choke out any of the Act III protags who are more powerful than Kenobi. So when it's a team of four, he chokes three.

A team of three, he chokes two.

A team of two, he chokes one.

Solo? No choking occurs.

In every scenario he loses. Could it be that the choking is nothing more than a game mechanic, like any other we choose not to take literally, and that Malgus is actually soloable by the protags?

Even if the "canon" outcome is that he dies to four protags, and that's being generous, it doesn't mean other scenarios aren't equally valid. All solo options have unique dialogue, including Malgus himself commenting on you coming alone.

Nephthys
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
That doesn't change that Malgus is below the protags as in game dialogue supports the possibility of him being defeated alone, not that there is a canon to deny it any longer.

Solo mode was only added in later, its obviously not the intended version of the fight. As I just showed, Bioware directly states that its a group of heroes that fights him.

Originally posted by ILS
So when it's a team of four, he chokes three.

A team of three, he chokes two.

A team of two, he chokes one.

Solo? No choking occurs.

In every scenario he loses. Could it be that the choking is nothing more than a game mechanic, like any other we choose not to take literally, and that Malgus is actually soloable by the protags?

Even if the "canon" outcome is that he dies to four protags, and that's being generous, it doesn't mean other scenarios aren't equally valid. All solo options have unique dialogue, including Malgus himself commenting on you coming alone.

It's stated to be occurring in the OOU text and HUD, so no it isn't just a gameplay mechanic.

As I just posted literally on this very page its explicitly stated that a team of heroes fights him. So no, not all scenario's are valid. The solo option is just for antisocial people like me.

FreshestSlice
All game mechanics show up in the HUD. It's a heads up display, after all, and exists purely for gameplay. Malgus was always soloable, so your argument falls flat. Show why it's invalid storywise, or you can join the six other people that took an L on this issue.

ILS
It's stated to be occurring in the OOU text and HUD, so no it isn't just a gameplay mechanic.Fresh tackled HUD already (lol) but what OOU text proves that Malgus choked anyone?
If they aren't valid, why give the player the option with unique dialogue in the first place? They could have pulled a SOR and made Malgus non-soloable, like Revan, but they did the opposite.

Nephthys
All game mechanics show up in the HUD. It's a heads up display, after all, and exists purely for gameplay. Malgus was always soloable, so your argument falls flat. Show why it's invalid storywise, or you can join the six other people that took an L on this issue.

I knew someone would nitpick that word choice. roll eyes (sarcastic) You know what I meant, the words appear directly on screen. Its OOU objective text no different from the mission logs and codex entries that everyone accepts as factual.

I just did show you why its invalid. Do you want me to repost the quote becouse you're too lazy to scroll upwards?

Nephthys
Originally posted by ILS
Fresh tackled HUD already (lol) but what OOU text proves that Malgus choked anyone?

It states on screen and in the dialogue box that Malgus is preparing to do the choke then that the remaining combatant must fight him alone.

Originally posted by ILS
If they aren't valid, why give the player the option with unique dialogue in the first place? They could have pulled a SOR and made Malgus non-soloable, like Revan, but they did the opposite.

I just said why, some people don't like doing groups like me. It's an option for the player but Bioware has made it clear that in the story the Malgus fight was performed by a group. Its not like there isn't other stuff in games that they add content for that isn't a valid storyline.

CuckedCurry
Originally posted by deathslash
Kenobi solidly takes this.

FreshestSlice
I knew someone would nitpick that word choice. roll eyes (sarcastic) You know what I meant, the words appear directly on screen. Its OOU objective text no different from the mission logs and codex entries that everyone accepts as factual.

It's announcing game mechanics. Or are you going to talk about how huttball is OOU lore next?

"It didn't happen," and, "Invalid" do not mean the same thing. And even if it were, your source is not anymore authoritative than TOR itself, especially in Legends. If you're so eager to jump on the pile, feel free.

Nephthys
It's announcing game mechanics. Or are you going to talk about how huttball is OOU lore next?

"It didn't happen," and, "Invalid" do not mean the same thing. And even if it were, your source is not anymore authoritative than TOR itself, especially in Legends. If you're so eager to jump on the pile, feel free.

I've never played huttball but I assume that the game itself isn't canon to the games story anyway so that's a red herring. If it is then why not. The text is the developers telling the player directly whats happening in the game, just like the mission log or the codex. The choke is a scripted event referenced as occurring directly to the player in big red letters. Its a valid feat. Not that Malgus needs it to beat Kenobi.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by this. The source is Bioware. I'm pretty sure they have the authority to say what happens in their own game. Are you trying to make some absurd argument about TOR not being canon? TOR is authoritative about things that happen in TOR, lol. Malgus is a TOR character. TOR can be authoritative about Malgus. Duh.

AncientPower
Any of the four Force using protags are > Kenobi regardless.

MythLord
Not when they fought Malgus.

Selenial

Nephthys
Even if that were true that doesn't really matter tbh. Even if it's in universe, the combat text still establishes Malgus' choke as actively happening. He also telepathically fills the remaining combatant's mind with "visions of doubt". All of the Force protags have greater TP resistance than Obi-Wan btw. The entire fight is an insane display.

FreshestSlice
I've never played huttball but I assume that the game itself isn't canon to the games story anyway so that's a red herring. If it is then why not. The text is the developers telling the player directly whats happening in the game, just like the mission log or the codex. The choke is a scripted event referenced as occurring directly to the player in big red letters. Its a valid feat. Not that Malgus needs it to beat Kenobi.

How do you know it's not canon? It shows up in the HUD after all. The text isn't explaining lore just because it talks about what happens on screen, so no it's not like a codex or a mission log. erm

The retardation and ranting at the end aside, BioWare has made no attempt to Force a canon, and have gone far and beyond to do the exact opposite. Even if there were some set event, which is antithetical to the entire idea of Legends(which is what I said), we are talking about if someone killing Malgus is a possible scenario. It is, and there is dialogue to support this. Stop flailing like a fish out of water and show why this is not possible.

AncientPower
Originally posted by MythLord
Not when they fought Malgus.

I'd put Wrath, Nox and the Hero above him, Barsen'thor is more debatable.

LordOfTheLight
Lol

MythLord
Originally posted by AncientPower
I'd put Wrath, Nox and the Hero above him, Barsen'thor is more debatable.

Nah, not really.

carthage
Kenobi takes his head

Nephthys
How do you know it's not canon? It shows up in the HUD after all. The text isn't explaining lore just because it talks about what happens on screen, so no it's not like a codex or a mission log. erm

How do I know that Nox and the Hero didn't play football together? Just a hunch. And it seems that you basically just say 'nuh-uh', which is cute but not too convincing. Why is it impossible for it to be referencing actual lore if its a scripted event in the first place? How is that any different from the log telling you to break down a door with a exploding barrel or something? The fact is that not only is it a scripted event put in by the developers for the fight, but its explicitly referenced as occurring to the player as well. It's valid.

The retardation and ranting at the end aside, BioWare has made no attempt to Force a canon, and have gone far and beyond to do the exact opposite. Even if there were some set event, which is antithetical to the entire idea of Legends(which is what I said), we are talking about if someone killing Malgus is a possible scenario. It is, and there is dialogue to support this. Stop flailing like a fish out of water and show why this is not possible.

This argument seems to be pretty pointless if you're just going to ignore evidence and scream that you're right. Is that how everyone else 'lost' on this issue as well? Lol. I'll make it very simple for you: There is a statement on the Swtor website. It says that Malgus was fought by a group of people. Bioware wrote that statement. Bioware has the authority to make statements on their own content. If Bioware explicitly says that the group version is what happened, then that's how it happened.

Freedon Nadd
All I know is that Malgus won't jump when Obi-Wan says he has the high ground.

Geistalt
Malgus takes Force, but loses sabers and all-out.

S_W_LeGenD
TOR Encyclopedia confirmed that an Imperial Strike Team took care of Darth Malgus. So there's that.

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by Geistalt

It's not Anakin who Obi-Wan is against, it's a friggin' legendary Sith Warrior whose combat skills were hailed even by the likes of Palpatine. Unlike Anakin, Malgus is not blindly controlled by anger.

Stigma
Originally posted by ILS
Kenobi.

Zentrex
Malgus is very powerful, but not as much as Mace or Vader. And Obi-Wan, at his MOST powerful, is comparable, if not more powerful than, both of them. So I'd say Obi-Wan is a more powerful force user. He's also a master of soresu, one of the finest ever, and would be more than capable of defending himself against a fighter who fights the way Malgus does. Kenobi is also strong enough to defend himself against Malgus' brute force, which most of(pretty much all of) Malgus' opponents aren't. So Kenobi pretty much has every advantage he needs.

It's not an easy win for sure, but Kenobi is just...better.

The.D0minator
Originally posted by Zentrex
Malgus is very powerful, but not as much as Mace or Vader. And Obi-Wan, at his MOST powerful, is comparable, if not more powerful than, both of them. So I'd say Obi-Wan is a more powerful force user. He's also a master of soresu, one of the finest ever, and would be more than capable of defending himself against a fighter who fights the way Malgus does. Kenobi is also strong enough to defend himself against Malgus' brute force, which most of(pretty much all of) Malgus' opponents aren't. So Kenobi pretty much has every advantage he needs.

Stop posting.

carthage
Kenobi wins

darthbane77
Malgus ragdolls.

Geistalt
Originally posted by Geistalt

deathslash
Kenobi wins. How is this even a question?

ILS
You know the way you just asked a question? Like that.

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by Zentrex

Darth Malgus became a worthy contender for the throne in a time when Sith Lords were numerous and backstabbing was norm. Acquiring a seat in the Dark Council was feasible via questionable methods but the position of the Sith Emperor epitomized firm superiority over others in most aspects. In-fact, Palpatine learned about Force Maelstrom from the leftovers of Darth Malgus's records in his era; this revelation suggest that Darth Malgus was developing new powers with passage of time.

Obi-Wan Kenobi's strengths do not necessarily work against every foe - Count Dooku out-shined him on a consistent basis.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.