Lightspeed Vader

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Azronger
Just then Obi-Wan Kenobi turned his head. He seemed to be looking straight at Luke. A smile was on his face. This was Vader's chance. With the speed of light he slashed at Ben. The blow should have cut the old man in half. It sliced right through his robe. But the Jedi was gone. There was nothing left of him. Just two pieces of cloth lying on the floor.

Classic Star Wars: A New Hope

Haschwalth
And they keep adding up.
But nah, it must be a hyperbole.

Freedon Nadd
Ulic had that speed feat on a dark side nexus. Nothing new. Stop butting up Lucas' characters, shmuck.

darthbane77
Hyperbole, no character in SW is light speed or FTL. Except maybe the Ones and Abeloth, maybe.

Freedon Nadd
Forgive Az. He loves to suck Vader's burnt ass balls.

ILS
Seems legit.

MythLord
Originally posted by Freedon Nadd
Ulic had that speed feat on a dark side nexus.
I love how you say that about every speed feat.

"This guy speedblitzed Superman, Silver Surfer and Mr Incredible!"
"Big deal! Ulic does a similar speed feat on a DS NEXUS!!!"

Azronger
Originally posted by darthbane77
no character in SW is FTL.

Obi-Wan used the Force to summon his lightsaber and tossed it to Anakin. With two lightsabers, the young Jedi attacked anew. But Dooku blocked every thrust and, step by step, drove Anakin back. He slashed through one lightsaber, extinguishing its blade. Then, with a stroke faster than light, he cut through Anakin's right arm at the elbow.

Mighty Chronicles: Attack of the Clones

smilesmilesmilesmilesmilesmile

DarthAnt66
"Faster than light" or "as fast as light" is the textbook hyperbole example of "moved very fast."

If you Google "hyperbole," I guarantee you will find similar examples.

Kurk
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
"Faster than light" or "as fast as light" is the textbook hyperbole example of "moved very fast."

If you Google "hyperbole," I guarantee you will find similar examples. So in the realm of fiction how do we tell if something is a hyperbole or not?

DarthAnt66
Varies on the fiction, but with Star Wars the vast, vast majority of sources depict Force users closer to Spider-Man than Superman.

Kurk
Thank you, Az. These feats will do wonders for me powerscaling Dooku in the Jack vs Kurk debate.

One Big Mob
Originally posted by Kurk
So in the realm of fiction how do we tell if something is a hyperbole or not? Light moves 12 inches in a nanosecond. That is one billionth of a second. If he swings at lightspeed in the arc required he would have swung at Anakin in around 4 nanoseconds. Same as Obi Wan dying.

If he swung and operated his lightsaber at lightspeed every 1000 nano seconds he would have swung his lightsaber 1 million times in a second.

Does that sound like hyberbole in the realm of Star Wars to you?

Kurk
Originally posted by One Big Mob
Light moves 12 inches in a nanosecond. That is one billionth of a second. If he swings at lightspeed in the arc required he would have swung at Anakin in around 4 nanoseconds. Same as Obi Wan dying.

If he swung and operated his lightsaber at lightspeed every 1000 nano seconds he would have swung his lightsaber 1 million times in a second.

Does that sound like hyberbole in the realm of Star Wars to you? Or it could just be a temporary augmentative boost in the nanoseconds Dooku needed to amputate Anakin's arm.

Unbowed
This place is a cesspit.

One Big Mob
That's quite an amp, and would also be indefensible against as long as you aimed it properly before doing it.

It would also start approaching infinite mass at those speeds, so even if you hit a lightsaber, it would likely shred the other person (and you) just from blocking.

Here's some dickheads talking about if a gram were moving at a 5th of lightspeed

https://www.quora.com/If-a-1-gram-spacecraft-moving-at-1-5th-the-speed-of-light-were-to-strike-a-planet-how-much-damage-would-it-cause

Of course Star Wars would likely throw that out the window, but the speed is still valid.

Azronger

If you Google "hyperbole," I guarantee you will find similar examples.

Obviously it's hyperbole lol. Just a neat counter if anyone tries to use calcs or whatever descriptions of Aryn Leneer moving in a millisecond or something.

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by MythLord
I love how you say that about every speed feat.

"This guy speedblitzed Superman, Silver Surfer and Mr Incredible!"
"Big deal! Ulic does a similar speed feat on a DS NEXUS!!!"

You are a sad little man with angry issues. Go see a doctor.

Zentrex
It depends on what you want to believe. Lots of authors put little things in without concern for the possibility that it breaks established canon lore, just because those things are so little they can be ignored.

There have been many cases where "in a nanosecond", or "faster than a missile" or "faster than the eye could see" or something or the other has been used to describe an action. Does that mean the Force literally allows people to have FTL reflexes? Well, maybe. But it probably wasn't the author's intention.

Although! What if it was faster than light? Would that make too much of a difference to star wars lore? It's been-well established that it's almost impossible for anyone who's NOT a force wielder to be able to hurt a force wielder. So if the most powerful force wielders ever have FTL reaction speeds, does that really break the lore? I don't think so.

Kurk
This reminds me of this thread: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=329647&from=thread&pagenumber=4#post16562610

Mendax
Originally posted by Azronger
Just then Obi-Wan Kenobi turned his head. He seemed to be looking straight at Luke. A smile was on his face. This was Vader's chance. With the speed of light he slashed at Ben. The blow should have cut the old man in half. It sliced right through his robe. But the Jedi was gone. There was nothing left of him. Just two pieces of cloth lying on the floor.

Classic Star Wars: A New Hope which means that anyone who can block a serious attack from Vader must be faster than light. cool

Zentrex
But how often do these "serious" strikes happen in open combat? Does anyone get a chance to swing as hard and fast as they possibly could in a situation like his and obi-wan's? He clearly attacked after obi-wan decided to give himself to the Force.

EDIT: And, yes. There are many other people credited with that level of speed (Starkiller, Sorasu Taalon, Mace Windu, Sidious, Luke Skywalker, etc.)

AncientPower
Aryn Leneer scaling gives even the likes of Decieved Malgus MFTL speeds, but then again I've never believed in the speedblitz argument.

darthbane77

If you Google "hyperbole," I guarantee you will find similar examples. thumb up

The Merchant
Lasers exist in stat wars such as I fives finger lasers which he states move just under 300 thousand kilometers per second and Vader has blocked them

Haschwalth
Even Jax pavan has preformed such feats.
Jedi move spaceships in combat at Relativistic speeds. etc

Darth Abonis

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.