Dark Souls (2018)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Adam Grimes
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/04-04-2018-dark-souls-remastered-switch-ps4-xbox-one-pc-release-date-enhancements-features-everything-we-know

The remaster of this classic is coming out in May 25.

I consider myself a fan of the series despite having beaten all the other titles except for the first entry, so naturally this is my chance to play this with all the activity these games enjoy on their first weeks. Anybody else thinking of buying it?

NemeBro
I'm thinking of blowing my brains out.

Nephthys
I heard its definitely improved but that the reviewers they gave the early look to were told very specifically that they couldn't go to Blight Town, so lol @ that.

cdtm
So are the remakes playing with the originals?

They could cross over last gen games to the next level, so really no reason they have to be seperated, except that's how they want it.

NewGuy01
Because the demo only covered Undead Asylum, Firelink Shrine, and Undead Burg. The Undead Parish, Darkroot Garden, and New Londo Ruins weren't accessible, and there's no way to Blighttown that doesn't go through those three. It's not like Blighttown was singled out, AFAIK.

NewGuy01
Anyways, I'll be buying it; no qualms coughing up 40 bucks for another run through a touched up (and active) Dark Souls. Hoping I can get more friends into the franchise now, too. And I'm still holding out a sliver of hope that they'll fix Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith while they're at it, despite literally none of the evidence indicating that they will.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/04-04-2018-dark-souls-remastered-switch-ps4-xbox-one-pc-release-date-enhancements-features-everything-we-know

The remaster of this classic is coming out in May 25.

I consider myself a fan of the series despite having beaten all the other titles except for the first entry, so naturally this is my chance to play this with all the activity these games enjoy on their first weeks. Anybody else thinking of buying it? The first one is definitely the best one, it even rivals Bloodborne.

Nephthys
I'm not sure I could go back to how slow and easy the combat is tbh.

cdtm
Everything's easier in retrospect.

Dark Souls is still plenty hard.

Nephthys
Probably if you don't use a shield. Its a total crutch in the first 2 games and makes everything so much easier. As I recall though its real simple to circle-strafe your way through most fights.

Khazra Reborn
Have they updated the controls at all? I tried playing DS 1 recently and it's very dated, the controls are crazy stiff compared to DS3 and Bloodborne.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Nephthys
I'm not sure I could go back to how slow and easy the combat is tbh. That's the same reason I won't go back to your mother.

NewGuy01
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
Have they updated the controls at all? I tried playing DS 1 recently and it's very dated, the controls are crazy stiff compared to DS3 and Bloodborne.

No, the controls are exactly the same, including the 4-directional rolling as opposed to DS3's omni-directional rolling. The only change in that respect is that the game runs at 60fps instead of 30fps.

cdtm
All the Souls games are slow moving. Even Bloodborne.

That's how they're designed.

If you want faster, play Darksiders (I don't care what anyone says, parts of the Darksiders games are even HARDER then the souls series/offshoots.)

ares834
Darksiders? I don't remember either game being difficult. And they are incredibly different games from the Soul series.

One Big Mob
Have they added anything extra at all to this game? Even one extra area would be welcome. As it stands right now, nope.

It's not like they couldn't made some extra shit go on, but they're lazy as shit. Imagine new content where they tie the DLC of 3 into 1's story.

cdtm
Is the dlc at least included?

Astner
Originally posted by Jmanghan
The first one is definitely the best one, it even rivals Bloodborne.
It's better than Bloodborne. A lot better.

No. The remaster is a graphical polish with some small tweeks to the invasion/summoning system as far as we're aware.

Originally posted by cdtm
Is the dlc at least included?
The Artorias of the Abyss DLC is included.

Kazenji
Originally posted by cdtm
All the Souls games are slow moving. Even Bloodborne.

Bloodborne is not slow moving, You need to be more aggressive when fighting the enemies in that game

Or maybe you just suck at playing Darksiders?

Khazra Reborn
Originally posted by NewGuy01
No, the controls are exactly the same, including the 4-directional rolling as opposed to DS3's omni-directional rolling. The only change in that respect is that the game runs at 60fps instead of 30fps.

That sucks, I loved the game when it was first released, and the fact that the world was designed to be explored without fast travel really made it interesting. From should have stayed that route, instead of bending, and adding fast travel right away. But still, by modern standards it's pretty hard to get past the technical short comings, especially now that we have DS3.

NemeBro
All the crybabying in this thread about how dated a game that isn't even ten years old and was released a single console generation ago is actually bonkers to me.

I wonder what would happen if you guys tried to play an N64 game right now? laughing out loud

Nephthys
I think it's a bit different when you're talking about going back to the first game in a series. All the proceeding games have made radical changes and imo significant improvements that can easily make it frustrating to regress back on.

Similarly Mass Effect 1 is a much stronger game than ME3 is but actually going back to that gameplay can feel like pulling teeth.

Astner
Originally posted by NemeBro
All the crybabying in this thread about how dated a game that isn't even ten years old and was released a single console generation ago is actually bonkers to me.

I wonder what would happen if you guys tried to play an N64 game right now? laughing out loud
Why do you think people spend ten times as much money to get a PC when they could just as well play it on the PS4?

Khazra Reborn

Crybabying? You mean having a casual conversation?

NemeBro
Crybabying? You mean having a casual conversation? You're literally slipping on your own tears right now, you're so sad. thumb up

Khazra Reborn
You're literally slipping on your own tears right now, you're so sad. thumb up

Sure thing, champ. roll eyes (sarcastic)

One Big Mob
Originally posted by Nephthys
I think it's a bit different when you're talking about going back to the first game in a series. All the proceeding games have made radical changes and imo significant improvements that can easily make it frustrating to regress back on.

Similarly Mass Effect 1 is a much stronger game than ME3 is but actually going back to that gameplay can feel like pulling teeth. All of them play the same... even Bloodborne plays the same outside being faster and ruining the lives of people who used shields.

ME1 was awful in terms of control. You're talking about changes from 2 to 3 with the progression of the Dark Souls series at best, not the progression from 1 to Andromeda.

You roll and swing.

I just wanted From not to be lazy ass holes. The game is still solid, but there's no way I need it without new content.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.