Role Playing games

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Putinbot1
I have never understood the appeal of these on or offline. I would be really interested to learn who on here plays them and what they enjoy about them.

Help me out here, I hear DMB likes to have a large wizards sleeve.

Flyattractor
This coming from a Leftist Fascist is RICH!

Pretending and Living in a Fantasy Make Believe World is something the LEFT does an AWFUL LOT OF!!!!!!

*See all the Trump/Russia Collusion Thread for Examples*

dadudemon
I love offline RPGs that are well-done.

They are excellent.

I especially love FPS RPGs. In my top three games of all time is Fallout: New Vegas.

Here's what I enjoy about them: It's similar to the feeling of exploring in the woods, as a kid. But it is many times more complicated than that. You can become stronger and conquer enemies that were out of reach. You can find gear that makes you stronger so you can explore new lands. Some of them have amazing stories. So if you enjoy good stories in movies or TV shows...wouldn't you like to play in a game that has similar stories but have a bit of control on the direction the plot goes? Also, one of my favorites is taking my damn time, climbing up a hill and sniping a bad guy from far away. A bad guy that could one-hit kill me if I get in close.

It's the same reasons people love books, comic books, etc.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Flyattractor
This coming from a Leftist Fascist is RICH!

Pretending and Living in a Fantasy Make Believe World is something the LEFT does an AWFUL LOT OF!!!!!!

*See all the Trump/Russia Collusion Thread for Examples* So Fly are you like Surt a WoW fan?

Flyattractor
Nope. That kind of Game is for Nerds and Twerps.

I bet you go gah gah for the Big Green Man Trolls running around all shirtless in that game. Don't ya PootyButt!?

Putinbot1
Nope. That kind of Game is for Nerds and Twerps.

I bet you go gah gah for the Big Green Man Trolls running around all shirtless in that game. Don't ya PootyButt!? I've never played it, so I wouldn't know. You though clearly have.

dadudemon
I bet you go gah gah for the Big Green Man Trolls running around all shirtless in that game. Don't ya PootyButt!?

What's wrong with that?

Flyattractor
Originally posted by dadudemon
What's wrong with that?

Ask his dry cleaner.

Putinbot1
I love offline RPGs that are well-done.

They are excellent.

I especially love FPS RPGs. In my top three games of all time is Fallout: New Vegas.

Here's what I enjoy about them: It's similar to the feeling of exploring in the woods, as a kid. But it is many times more complicated than that. You can become stronger and conquer enemies that were out of reach. You can find gear that makes you stronger so you can explore new lands. Some of them have amazing stories. So if you enjoy good stories in movies or TV shows...wouldn't you like to play in a game that has similar stories but have a bit of control on the direction the plot goes? Also, one of my favorites is taking my damn time, climbing up a hill and sniping a bad guy from far away. A bad guy that could one-hit kill me if I get in close.

It's the same reasons people love books, comic books, etc.

I see DDM, do you still play them now? Do you dress up to play them, if so which character do you play?

dadudemon

dadudemon
Dammit, cannot edit. no expression

dadudemon
Originally posted by Putinbot1
I see DDM, do you still play them now? Do you dress up to play them, if so which character do you play?

Yes, I play them, still. But I don't have much time to play games.

I don't play a particular character. I do not do the "man playing as a beautiful busty elfa" type, either.

Putinbot1
Dammit, cannot edit. no expression That's fine, any sign where I am is in SAR anyway and my Indian houseboy (knows this comment is a mistake and laughs) deals with my laundry.

dadudemon
That's fine, any sign where I am is in SAR anyway and my Indian houseboy (knows this comment is a mistake and laughs) deals with my laundry.

SAR? Hong Kong or Macau? I'm assuming Hong Kong. And there's nothing wrong with having hired help. It's exactly what someone should be doing in your situation if you have the extra funds. I pay people to mow my lawn and I am considering hiring a maid to dust and clean the floors in my house.

Robtard
I Played D&D in middle school and then for a couple years in my early 20's, loved it. It was a combo of the fantasy adventure and the camaraderie with a group of good friends.

Also an a fan on role-playing games, last one I played was Tyranny, it was single player and not online, was decent overall. But I am also a fan of online RP games, but it's been a very long time since I've partaken in one.

Truth be told, there's a Gamescape (gaming store) not far from where I live where every Wednesday they host a D&D night (other nights have other games) and they welcome walk-ins. I've considering doing it, but Wednesday is one of my work-out/gym days and 50% of why I enjoyed D&D was spending time with good friends, which I wouldn't have.

This though, I've never done:
j_ekugPKqFw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw

Putinbot1
SAR? Hong Kong or Macau? I'm assuming Hong Kong. And there's nothing wrong with have hired help. It's exactly what someone should be doing in your situation if you have the extra funds. I pay people to mow my lawn and I am considering hiring a maid to dust and clean the floors in my house. Saudi Arabian. I get a houseboy and driver as part of my package. I had an excellent Filipino maid in Egypt and a very good Vietnamese girl in Singapore.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Robtard
I Played D&D in middle school and then for a couple years in my early 20's, loved it. It was a combo of the fantasy adventure and the camaraderie with a group of good friends.

Also an a fan on role-playing games, last one I played was Tyranny, it was single player and not online, was decent overall. But I am also a fan of online RP games, but it's been a very long time since I've partaken in one.

Truth be told, there's a Gamescape (gaming store) not far from where I live where every Wednesday they host a D&D night (other nights have other games) and they welcome walk-ins. I've considering doing it, but Wednesday is one of my work-out/gym days and 50% of why I enjoyed D&D was spending time with good friends, which I wouldn't have. Yes, the gym gets more and more important the older we get, tbh I would go mad without it.

Kurk

dadudemon
Saudi Arabian. I get a houseboy and driver as part of my package. I had an excellent Filipino maid in Egypt and a very good Vietnamese girl in Singapore.

Oh, the only Special Administrative Regions I was aware of are the two I mentioned. You did mention you were in Arab lands so I should have known you meant those. But I don't know anything about those and assumed you meant you transferred.

Regardless, I hope you are kind to your house-help. Some of them have a very tough life and if there is one good boss to work for out of the 10 in a row that were shit, then you've spread a bit of good karma into the world.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard

Truth be told, there's a Gamescape (gaming store) not far from where I live where every Wednesday they host a D&D night (other nights have other games) and they welcome walk-ins. I've considering doing it, but Wednesday is one of my work-out/gym days and 50% of why I enjoyed D&D was spending time with good friends, which I wouldn't have.

This though, I've never done:
j_ekugPKqFw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw

Dude, that's awesome (Gamescape D&D thing). So you live IN San Fran proper?

Putinbot1
Oh, the only Special Administrative Regions I was aware of are the two I mentioned. You did mention you were in Arab lands so I should have known you meant those. But I don't know anything about those and assumed you meant you transferred.

Regardless, I hope you are kind to your house-help. Some of them have a very tough life and if there is one good boss to work for out of the 10 in a row that were shit, then you've spread a bit of good karma into the world. Saudi Arabian Riyal not pounds. SAR is the currency here.
I work mostly in KSA and Africa to be honest. I learnt Arabic so I could.
The girl in Cairo had an awful time before I took her on, she worked for very wealthy Egyptians who imprisoned her, she actually saw them on the street in Maadi and ran to my apartment on road 9. My partner at the time said she was crying. She only got away from them originally because the oldest son was a good guy, gave her her passport and let her out.

dadudemon
Saudi Arabian Riyal not pounds. SAR is the currency here.

Well...I took some liberties to understand what you meant when you typed:

"...any sign where I am is in SAR..."

And I only know that currency as riyals. no expression

Nothing made sense now it all makes sense.

So..yeah...got it. "SAR" is similar to "USD". Learned something now.

Edit - For context, many of my oil company pals talk about being sent to one of China's SARs for business. I'm in Oklahoma...we have nothing here except tech companies, football, and Oil and Gas.

I work mostly in KSA and Africa to be honest. I learnt Arabic so I could.
The girl in Cairo had an awful time before I took her on, she worked for very wealthy Egyptians who imprisoned her, she actually saw them on the street in Maadi and ran to my apartment on road 9. My partner at the time said she was crying. She only got away from them originally because the oldest son was a good guy, gave her her passport and let her out.

Yes, this is a a very sad story. Good that one of the people in that family had a heart.

Putinbot1
Well...I took some liberties to understand what you meant when you typed:

"...any sign where I am is in SAR..."

And I only know that currency as riyals. no expression

Nothing made sense now it all makes sense.

So..yeah...got it. "SAR" is similar to "USD". Learned something now.

Edit - For context, many of my oil company pals talk about being sent to one of China's SARs for business. I'm in Oklahoma...we have nothing here except tech companies, football, and Oil and Gas.

Yes, this is a a very sad story. Good that one of the people in that family had a heart. Ahh, that also makes sense, funny story re hired help. In Singapore my ex interviewed the maid and the maid hadn't met me (we didn't hire this one) she asked, "how often do I service the master", my ex replied, "the only servicing round here will be done by me." Haha, she was livid when I got home.

dadudemon
Ahh, that also makes sense, funny story re hired help. In Singapore my ex interviewed the maid and the maid hadn't met me (we didn't hire this one) she asked, "how often do I service the master", my ex replied, "the only servicing round here will be done by me." Haha, she was livid when I got home.

lol!!!!

And also, awwww. sad

My cousin was serving a church mission in The Philippines. He broke down and started bawling like a baby when he saw a little girl sold into sex slavery, right in front of him. Some people live sheltered lives and don't know what it is like for others who come from extreme poverty. They have to do things like "service the master." sad

Putinbot1
lol!!!!

And also, awwww. sad

My cousin was serving a church mission in The Philippines. He broke down and started bawling like a baby when he saw a little girl sold into sex slavery, right in front of him. Some people live sheltered lives and don't know what it is like for others who come from extreme poverty. They have to do things like "service the master." sad Sadly, yes they do, I have only been to the Philippines for an interview for a job I didn't get quite a long time ago, I didn't get to see the villages. I would assume they are like most in SE Asia. Cambodia is the one that always upsets me the most.

Flyattractor
Why is it PootyButtBot can only get work in 3rd World Countries?

dadudemon
Sadly, yes they do, I have only been to the Philippines for an interview for a job I didn't get quite a long time ago, I didn't get to see the villages. I would assume they are like most in SE Asia. Cambodia is the one that always upsets me the most.

I not too sure I should be asking but...tell me about Cambodia. What was so terrible there that was worse than some of the horrible things that happen in other SE Asian countries?

Robtard
Probably child sex-slave trafficking and/or wars/violence

Gary Glitter settled in Cambodia for years and years, just for the child rape.

Digi
I run a D&D campaign, with five of my friends as the players. It's a ton of fun, and is a great creative and social outlet for me. We meet twice a month for 3-5 hours, so it's not an imposition on my regular routines or other endeavors.

I used to play video game RPGs a lot, and spent many years in WoW. While I took it very seriously, it was the social aspects that made it worthwhile for me. I no longer play VGs, but remember them fondly.

In my experience, roleplaying doesn't divide out based on political affiliation. It's a bit male-dominated, but that's changing too, albeit slowly.

Putinbot1
I not too sure I should be asking but...tell me about Cambodia. What was so terrible there that was worse than some of the horrible things that happen in other SE Asian countries? Year Zero, the Khmer Rouge. To be honest, when you are in somewhere like Siem Reap and you see signs keep to the path as you wander round monuments you realise mines are still there. You see children who have been blown up begging, some are mutilated by the family for this purpose. AS Rob says child exploitation is rife, they always send the prettiest little girl to beg round western men and there is an unsavoury reason for that. That said it is a beautiful country and most of the people are lovely. It is worse than the others still though.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Digi
I run a D&D campaign, with five of my friends as the players. It's a ton of fun, and is a great creative and social outlet for me. We meet twice a month for 3-5 hours, so it's not an imposition on my regular routines or other endeavors.

I used to play video game RPGs a lot, and spent many years in WoW. While I took it very seriously, it was the social aspects that made it worthwhile for me. I no longer play VGs, but remember them fondly.

In my experience, roleplaying doesn't divide out based on political affiliation. It's a bit male-dominated, but that's changing too, albeit slowly. Digi, I'm not even going to ask if you dress up. I remember before you had the stalker all the pics you had of you playing dress up. I bet you are a wizard! The days when we all had pictures up. When we naively thought it was safe.

SquallX

SquallX

dadudemon
Digi, I'm not even going to ask if you dress up. I remember before you had the stalker all the pics you had of you playing dress up. I bet you are a wizard! The days when we all had pictures up. When we naively thought it was safe.

I still remember your topless photos. smile I also remember Digi's Thor outfit.

And, yes, like you, Digi was looking beefy.

Digi
Digi, I'm not even going to ask if you dress up. I remember before you had the stalker all the pics you had of you playing dress up. I bet you are a wizard! The days when we all had pictures up. When we naively thought it was safe.

Heh. But it's collaborative storytelling, not a LARP. No costumes for D&D. The biggest challenge (and joy) is crafting a narrative that keeps my players invested, while still allowing enough improvisational wiggle room for them to have a sense of autonomy in the game world.

And, yes, like you, Digi was looking beefy.

thumb up

Thankfully, I have no recollection of whirly topless.

Nibedicus

Digi
@Nib - thumb up

I don't have the world-building bug (I run a homebrew campaign, but in an established world), but that's a cool way to get creative with the hobby. I do love GMing though. It wasn't an "only man willing" situation, I actively wanted to run, and prefer it to being a PC. If I ever have kids, would love to play D&D with them. I think it would be an absolute blast. But I also get the removal from the hobby to focus on more important things. Cheers!

Putinbot1

And, yes, like you, Digi was looking beefy. Haha, My topless posts were on the Hype, they actually voted me most muscular lol. Long ago and on lots of gear, surprised you remember that. It's probably still there in some ancient thread.

Originally posted by Digi

thumb up

Thankfully, I have no recollection of whirly topless.

It was on Superherohype digi, I would never have gone topless here lol. Your Doctor outfit was my fave.

Nibedicus

Robtard
Nib, give me a quick breakdown of the world you built? Sounds fascinating to do that. We always played in a set/standard D&D world.

Nibedicus

samhain
Played Shadowrun every Sunday for quite a few years, a bit of D&D too. We took it in turns to be GM/DM, (we just called it running a game) so that we all had 3 or 4 characters in different games. Still play about once a month or so, mostly at this point to justify drinking 80 beers between us.

Mindship
As a young teen my friends and I made up our own starships and crew (all there was was ST:TOS so we had a lot of leeway for original stuff). We made props, like weapons, from balsa wood and pieces of plastic or whatever looked good.

Sometimes we had 'adventures' on a planet (think undeveloped plot of land or less-trafficked part of a park + a lot of imagination). Sometimes we'd have it in one of our basements. We did our best to make it look like a bridge (like laying a doorscreen sideways on a table --> 'viewing screen'). Whoever's house it was in, he was the captain.

'Roleplaying'. Heh. Back then it was called make-believe.
We've legitimized it. rock

Robtard

BackFire
Roleplaying games are probably my favorite video games these days. Particularly offline solo ones like Witcher 3, Skyrim or the Mass Effect series. I do enjoy online ones too, I've been playing World of Warcraft on and off since the game was released, and I've dabbled in other MMORPG's too, Final Fantasy 14 and a few others.

I've played tabletop RPG's a bit too, but not a ton.

The roleplaying games I enjoy the most are the ones that suspend my disbelief and where I really get sucked into the world and want to learn more about it and really get immersed in it.

Nibedicus

Flyattractor
Geez, what a bunch of ....

http://www.wichitavortex.com/images/nerds.jpg

samhain
Says the guy on a web forum... for nerds.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by BackFire
Roleplaying games are probably my favorite video games these days. Particularly offline solo ones like Witcher 3, Skyrim or the Mass Effect series. I do enjoy online ones too, I've been playing World of Warcraft on and off since the game was released, and I've dabbled in other MMORPG's too, Final Fantasy 14 and a few others.

I've played tabletop RPG's a bit too, but not a ton.

The roleplaying games I enjoy the most are the ones that suspend my disbelief and where I really get sucked into the world and want to learn more about it and really get immersed in it. Is Sky Rim, you know... ATM?

Robtard
Is Sky Rim, you know... ATM?

Nah, it's giving and/or receiving a rim-job on a flying airplane. It's part of the "Mile High Club".

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.