When Should Sanctions Be Put on a Country?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dadudemon
When should we put sanctions on any country?

What are the triggers that are over the line where punitive measure are necessary to express how displeased we are with another country?

The Trump-Sanctions thing got me thinking. When would I consider it as appropriate?

I might consider putting sanctions on North Korea (in the past).

samhain
The problem I have is that while I'm sure sanctions can be very damaging for the country they are imposed on, it also kind of seems like society putting a monetary value on committing atrocities.

'You commit this act and you'll be fined this much, swear you won't do it again and we can go back to business as normal.'

Astner
Originally posted by dadudemon
When should we put sanctions on any country?
When it's in your best interest to destabilize that country.

Originally posted by dadudemon
What are the triggers that are over the line where punitive measure are necessary to express how displeased we are with another country?
You don't really need a reason.

Putinbot1
Well, it depends on the power imbalance between countries how easy it is to apply sanctions, international law and the geopolitical ramifications of sanctions. It's easiest to apply sanctions to an "enemy". E.g. Iran, Russia, etc. It's easiest if you are one of the most important parts of the Euro-American Empire or its Satellites like Japan and English speaking Oceania.

Christina B
The US Department of Education deserves sanctions, now.

cdtm
Originally posted by samhain
The problem I have is that while I'm sure sanctions can be very damaging for the country they are imposed on, it also kind of seems like society putting a monetary value on committing atrocities.

'You commit this act and you'll be fined this much, swear you won't do it again and we can go back to business as normal.'

You can attack with money or lives. No real third option exists.

Robtard
Wednesdays

JKBart
Originally posted by Robtard
Wednesdays

thumb up

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Robtard
Wednesdays Alliteration is important. Sanction Sundays.

samhain
As long as it's after Wrestlemania but before the FA Cup Final I'm cool with whatever.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.