Powerscaling Plagueis Novel Palpatine

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kurk
I'm midway through the book and wanted to know the difference in power between newly apprenticed sheev, ambassador sheev, newly appointed senator sheev, just prior to killing Hego Sheev, etc.

The.D0minator
all of them are above bane

NewGuy01
It's honestly hard to say, since all we have to go by are his feats in the novel, which are pretty sparse.

Kurk
Can we use his knowledge of advanced force techniques/sith knowledge as a partial indicator of his power?

I know there are disagreements over how much knowledge/skill with the force plays into a user's power, but it's something.

He knows how to mitigate the effects of poison.
He has access to ancient Sith books that Plagueis deems a waste of time (whatever that means)
Pyrokinesis

Azronger

Kurk

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Kurk
Can we use his knowledge of advanced force techniques/sith knowledge as a partial indicator of his power?

I know there are disagreements over how much knowledge/skill with the force plays into a user's power, but it's something.

He knows how to mitigate the effects of poison.
He has access to ancient Sith books that Plagueis deems a waste of time (whatever that means)
Pyrokinesis

Aside from the book thing, the other 2 are pretty basic techniques that Force Adepts can do.

Freedon Nadd
His ROTS incarnation is at its highest peak, to be honest.

Kurk
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Aside from the book thing, the other 2 are pretty basic techniques that Force Adepts can do. Ridding oneself of poison is a basic skill? I'd like to see evidence for that.

I can't remember the exact source, but I've heard that pyrokinesis is a very difficult technique to use as the user must make the fire by rubbing together air molecules to create heat. The larger the flame, the more difficult it is to control as the wielder must both control the boundaries of the inferno as well as continually focus on creating the necessary kinetic energy for all the air-molecules in the inferno's area.

I haven't reached the part where Palpatine kills Pax Teem yet, but my understanding is that he lit up a pretty decently sized room.

Galan007
Seeing him and Palpatine work together in the shadows brings warm feelings to my heart. I'll be curious to see what your thoughts are when the betrayal happens. g007_teehee

NewGuy01
Originally posted by Galan007
I'll be curious to see what your thoughts are when the betrayal happens. g007_teehee

probably "omg sidious is just like me lol"

Zenwolf
Ridding oneself of poison is a basic skill? I'd like to see evidence for that.

I can't remember the exact source, but I've heard that pyrokinesis is a very difficult technique to use as the user must make the fire by rubbing together air molecules to create heat. The larger the flame, the more difficult it is to control as the wielder must both control the boundaries of the inferno as well as continually focus on creating the necessary kinetic energy for all the air-molecules in the inferno's area.

I haven't reached the part where Palpatine kills Pax Teem yet, but my understanding is that he lit up a pretty decently sized room.

Jedi also master this kind of thing.

Far as Pyrokensis, I mean Jadru was able to use it and she wasn't even formally trained, just living on Endor.

There was also Dresdema the Nightsister.

I mean sure, the size and control might be different, but it's still doable by Force Adepts in some form.

Jedi have also shown to do it. That and they also train on air molecules to practice their TK, molecular level TK is something that standard Jedi can do, they even have to assemble their lightsabers at the molecular level.

JKBart
As far as Pyrokinesis goes tho, I think having this one obscure Endor pal mastering it is more of a sign of her insane innate talent at the art (like Horns and Force Absorb), her own impressive self-learning ability and uniqueness. It's not that the technique is simple because she mastered it; she is impressive because she mastered it, not the other way around.

Totally agreed on all the others.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by JKBart
As far as Pyrokinesis goes tho, I think having this one obscure Endor pal mastering it is more of a sign of her insane innate talent at the art (like Horns and Force Absorb), her own impressive self-learning ability and uniqueness. It's not that the technique is simple because she mastered it; she is impressive because she mastered it, not the other way around.

Totally agreed on all the others.

Well there's also the Nightsister who had it.

Also Thok and Gorc.

But I mean even if you don't wanna take it as something that Force Adepts can do(obviously by experimentation, not saying it just comes to them). Then ok, but I don't recall it being noted anywhere that it was something difficult.

That and given a Jedi's training, Pyrokensis shouldn't be too difficult either at least at a basic level.

I'm not sure if Kurk is meaning Palps showing is something huge or what though.

Kurk
Originally posted by NewGuy01
probably "omg sidious is just like me lol" nah lol. Even though he's a fictional character, and even though I've conditioned myself into near-sociopathy, Sidious's character in this book perturbed me. Thinking about how 100% genuine psychopaths just like him exist in our own world, often in similarly powerful positions of power, is rather disturbing. I can relate to his frustrations with his father, but seeing how he seemingly brutally murdered his entire family and ship's crew without any conflict of emotions or remorse was spine-chilling. His ability to calmly remain in character even with the threat of death close by and his relationship with Plagueis being exposed by Pax Teem is...impressive. A true psycho indeed.

Plagueis, on the other hand, I took a liking to immediately. The first thing to really pop out to me was his practicality and lack of malice; specifically seen with the freighter incident. Even though he's a Sith, he's not completely reckless and rage-filled. We see this when he chooses to go out of his way to try and negotiate with the crew of the ship to give him voyage to Muunilinst. Only after threatening him does he resort to violence, ultimate killing all the crew. As a bonus, I like how he took on the medical droid as a life-long servant, despite him presumably being able to purchase for more advanced technology if he wanted.

Magister Damask continued to appeal to me with his well rounded interest in various subjects, including his scientific research and extensive data-bases on biology and midichlorians. To top it off, he's a well-respected businessman and Machiavellian. His methodology about progressing the Grand Plan through political rather than brute force was just what the Sith needed. An excellent character who has made my top 10 list.

(the only thing I didn't like about him was when he ate the beating heart of some warrior he killed...eww...that's so Savage-like. Not at all sophisticated)

@Zenwolf

Ah okay then. Force healing seems pretty dry cut, but I guess the intensity of the pyrokinesis matters. Ditto what JKBart said.

Freedon Nadd
I wonder what would happen if Carnage used Palpatine as a host.

relentless1
I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Hego Damask is an interesting, well-written character. Seeing him and Palpatine work together in the shadows brings warm feelings to my heart smile .

its my absolute favourite Star Wars novel; ive read it three times now and its just as good every time ive read it

Freedon Nadd
I didn't. I felt like reading about an evil Charles Darwin. It felt so 'far, far away...' from the familiar Star Wars feels.

Freedon Nadd
What I hate the most is that Luceno wrote it in such a way just to suck up Lucas' characters. I also disagree with how Anakin's birth was supposed to occur.
This is how it should have been:
1. Palpatine becomes Damask's apprentice
2. Palpatine's ways of acting like a Sith are appalling Damask
3. Damask decides to replace Palpatine by influencing the midi-chloians to create life
4. Palpatine is able to peer through his intentions
5. Hego goes on Tatooine, kidnaps Shmi and directly Force inseminates her(by placing his hands on Shmi's belly and modifying the natural properties of the midi-chlorians - making them to act like man seed) to create the perfect Dark Side being/apprentice to replace Palpatine. Then, he Force erases Shmi's memories of the said-so events.
6. Hego returns on Coruscant. Takes a nap. Palpatine Force conceals himself and kills Hego.
7. 'Ironic. He could save others from death. But not himself."

CuckedCurry
The Plagueis novel is nigh-perfect, imo.

Freedon Nadd
If it doesn't bother Luceno's bias for Lucas' characters, sure.

Zentrex
The only thing I don't like about Luceno's bias is that he's made the events of the Plagueis novel the same in Canon as in Legends with his "Tarkin" novel.

Freedon Nadd
Yes. Luceno is one mothersucker.

Zentrex
He's a great writer and has done fantastic things for Star Wars. My point was that though I don't agree with everything he's done, I still like him, and take what he's written in his books to be as canon as can be.

Freedon Nadd
Whenever I read his works, I feel like reading some science essay.
For e.g: I don't spend 2 pages describing a piece of grass... 😃 this is his biggest flaw imo - tooo much boring detailed description...

He is an hypocramus author, to be honest. He makes use of fancy words to make his stories sound well. There is really no depth to his Star Wars works(at least) It's like he is writing a video-game scenario.
There is another issue I was gonna talk about - those fancy words. Antoine bandele (an american sw geek who's not stupid) had to use a dictionary very often while reading Luceno's "Tarkin"...I mean wtf?? He makes it difficult even for his English speaking readers. His writing sometimes makes me feel dull and it can get sooo boring..He's an overrated author tbh

Zentrex
Well, different people like different things. His style may not be for everyone, but I wouldn't discredit the fact that it sounds good. EDIT: Sounds good to some people

Kurk
Originally posted by Freedon Nadd
Whenever I read his works, I feel like reading some science essay.
For e.g: I don't spend 2 pages describing a piece of grass... 😃 this is his biggest flaw imo - tooo much boring detailed description...

He is an hypocramus author, to be honest. He makes use of fancy words to make his stories sound well. There is really no depth to his Star Wars works(at least) It's like he is writing a video-game scenario.
There is another issue I was gonna talk about - those fancy words. Antoine bandele (an american sw geek who's not stupid) had to use a dictionary very often while reading Luceno's "Tarkin"...I mean wtf?? He makes it difficult even for his English speaking readers. His writing sometimes makes me feel dull and it can get sooo boring..He's an overrated author tbh
More detail is better than less IMO

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.