Are government employees really incompetent?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Ellimist
Discuss

dadudemon
About 9 out of 10 people are not very good at their job: just passable.

But being truly incompetent? Not too sure about that.

But government employees? I just so happen to have tens of thousands of people to choose from that I got to work with over about a decade.

From my experience, about 1/10 to 1/20 of government employees are truly incompetent.

Here's where it gets weird. If look at, say, Air Traffic Controllers, almost none of the are incompetent and for a good reason: they get the shit tested out of them and they have to continue to pass tests their entire career. And there are many checks and balances to ensure they continue to do their job and do it very well. Perhaps only 1 out of 10,000 ATCs are truly incompetent because the bad ones are weeded out in ATC school.

Robtard
IMO, the more security one has in not being fired, the more likely they are to be incompetent in said job/role.

Adam_PoE
Incompetence ≠ Laziness

Robtard
Fair enough, should have said "and/or lazy at their job".

Kurk
I mean I'm not the type to generalize; not every government agency has the same hiring/firing standards after all, but I can see why the stereotype exists.

CroftAlice
Yes,they are

One good example : Romania

Surtur
I used to have this book about government incompetence. But it was meant to be funny. I forget the specifics, but there was at least one occasion where the government purchased land it had forgotten it already owned lol.

I can't find it when I search for it though, all I get is a bunch of articles about the government stealing land.

Surtur

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.