What is the root of all evil?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
They say money, but money is just a tool. There are plenty of good people with means.

I say, it's lawyers. mad

Everything... I mean EVERYTHING ****ed up comes from lawyers.

One common way: Lawyer sues a school, establishment overreacts to protect themselves, general public suffers.

Another common way: Lawyer determines how far you can bend a law. Say, by shipping POW's overseas to "water board", because water boarding isn't torture.

Basically, it's an arms race between Slippin' Jimmies, administrators, and the administrators lawyers. And we all get caught in the middle.

The Ellimist
Ignorance

cdtm
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Ignorance

I like that answer. thumb up

I also think ignorance covers more ground then people realize. Your average Twitterer/Redditer may think Billy Bob the Grand Dragon is an example of ignorance. Bob will be written off as an irrelevant, uneducated hick.

I say that attitude is, in itself, ignorant.

Kurk
I'll keep that in mind when taking the LSAT

darthgoober
Originally posted by cdtm
They say money, but money is just a tool. There are plenty of good people with means.

I say, it's lawyers. mad

One common way: Lawyer sues a school, establishment overreacts to protect themselves, general public suffers.

Another common way: Lawyer determines how far you can bend a law. Say, by shipping POW's overseas to "water board", because water boarding isn't torture.

Basically, it's an arms race between Slippin' Jimmies, administrators, and the administrators lawyers. And we all get caught in the middle.
Misery, the true root is misery. Being miserable cause your poor, miserable cause the one you love doesn't love you back, miserable cause your parents loved your sibling more, miserable because you hate who you've become, etc... the variations are virtually endless. I don't know of a single evil act that can't be traced back to someone being miserable about something.

Emperordmb
Shame and Arrogance.

dadudemon

I say, it's lawyers. mad

You said the root.

Lawyers cannot be the root because they serve a function. If the need was not there, lawyers would not serve that function. What are lawyers serving? That function. What is that function? Greed, gain, ego.

But can those be distilled into something more basic? A true root?

Desire.

The root of all evil is desire:

"a strong feeling of wanting to have something or wishing for something to happen."

Root of selfishness? Desire.
Root of ego? Desire.
Root of greed? Desire.

The Ellimist
Also: bad social equilibriums

Emperordmb
I guess technically the root of all evil is that we are self-conscious of our own vulnerability. I think our moral character arises from how we deal with that knowledge of our own vulnerability.

If we recoil from it and refuse to accept that burden we become insecure and ashamed, and if we mishandle that we become arrogant, and I think arrogance is really where evil starts since it motivates and allows people to put themselves on a platform where they can judge other people with hatred, allow their desires to become inordinately placed over the moral good rather than subordinated beneath it, and shirk responsibility and accountability.

If we accept that vulnerability and bear it for the sake of ourselves and other people we become more humble and motivated by love, which allows us to forgive, apologize, make sacrifices, and be responsible for our betterment and that of the world.

That's just my two cents.

snowdragon

Flyattractor
Its simple Greed. Man's most Powerful Emotion.

Close the Thread.

NemeBro
Black people.

Impediment

BackFire

Surtur
Originally posted by NemeBro
Black people.

D-3Y3NDCT-Y

ArtificialGlory
Intellect.

Tzeentch
boomers

Robtard
Originally posted by dadudemon
You said the root.

Lawyers cannot be the root because they serve a function. If the need was not there, lawyers would not serve that function. What are lawyers serving? That function. What is that function? Greed, gain, ego.

But can those be distilled into something more basic? A true root?

Desire.

The root of all evil is desire:

"a strong feeling of wanting to have something or wishing for something to happen."

Root of selfishness? Desire.
Root of ego? Desire.
Root of greed? Desire.

Very good, but I'd say fear one-ups desire. So Fear, imo.

Emperordmb

snowdragon
I just want to qualify that desire is good it affects those without however desire isn't as good as fear when someone already has abundance or is afraid to lose something.

Hate requires neither desire or fear so there is that.

Robtard
Originally posted by snowdragon
I just want to qualify that desire is good it affects those without however desire isn't as good as fear when someone already has abundance or is afraid to lose something.

Hate requires neither desire or fear so there is that.

To have hate, once must first have fear

Emperordmb
thumb up

Though I think arrogance is a necessary intermediary step between the two.

Kurk
What makes someone evil? I don't get it.

snowdragon
Originally posted by Robtard
To have hate, once must first have fear

Oh yeah, so when someone HATES tuna sandwiches it's because they are afraid of them?

If someone hates turtles, they are afraid of them etc wink

Robtard
Who really knows, as evil acts can vary depending on the viewpoint. But I think we can say that most people would consider someone like Hitler to be an "evil person", everything Hitler did in regards to achieving power, starting WWII, the holocaust etc was driven by fear.

Robtard
Oh yeah, so when someone HATES tuna sandwiches it's because they are afraid of them?

If someone hates turtles, they are afraid of them etc wink

No one really hates something like tuna sandwiches and turtles in that sense of hate.

BackFire
Hey don't trivialize my feelings about tuna.

snowdragon
No one really hates something like tuna sandwiches and turtles in that sense of hate.

I can be afraid of sharks and in turn hate them.

I can hate someone that is black but absolutely not be afraid of them.

I can hate someone for having something I desire....but in no way be afraid of them.

Fear can cause hate but you can simply hate something because its different then you or a belief system or whatever the case without fear.

Robtard
You're welcome to disagree. But imo, fear is the root.

eg Just look at the recent studies done on what attracted Trump's largest demographic (White males) to vote for him, it was an fear of losing their identity.

dadudemon
I can be afraid of sharks and in turn hate them.

I can hate someone that is black but absolutely not be afraid of them.

I can hate someone for having something I desire....but in no way be afraid of them.

Fear can cause hate but you can simply hate something because its different then you or a belief system or whatever the case without fear.

Right, which is why I think it is desire. Humans...we...I don't know how to describe it. But we have "desire" turned up to 11 it and permeates almost every aspect of our behavior.

I also think this is part of why some Buddhists seek to eliminate desire or the desires that are seen as operating in opposition to obtaining nirvana.

I am not Buddhist nor do I know enough about it to properly represent some of the beliefs (there are many flavors of Buddhism, as well).

You're welcome to disagree. But imo, fear is the root.

eg Just look at the recent studies done on what attracted Trump's largest demographic (White males) to vote for him, it was an fear of losing their identity.

I don't think you're wrong. None of us are wrong. I've read lengthy descriptions about fear being the root of all negatives in a person's and people's lives.

And I am somewhat plagiarizing the "desire" concept from Buddhism, too.

snowdragon
Originally posted by dadudemon
I don't think you're wrong. None of us are wrong. I've read lengthy descriptions about fear being the root of all negatives in a person's and people's lives.

And I am somewhat plagiarizing the "desire" concept from Buddhism, too.

Fear and desire are gateway emotions that can lead to other actions.

Hate can be totally irrational and not based on anything predictable.

I don't think any 1 specific emotion can be the basis of the root of all evil. Generally when terrible shit happens its multiple negative emotions that drive the actions.

Good chat.

Darkstorm Zero
The root of all evil is evil itself. However, the Quadrilogy of Hatred, Rage, Fear, and Desire form the basis of what all humanity considers acts of evil.

There are other things that can lead to acts of evil of course, such as Madness (Mania for example). Sadness and Melancholy are another ones in much more rare circumstances. Sadism, Amoral nature or lack of empathy. And of course, coersion.

Kurk
To answer this question, we need to define evil.

samhain
Originally posted by Kurk
To answer this question, we need to define evil.

But somebody already mentioned Backfire's penis.

BackFire
It's difficult for some to comprehend something that otherworldly and all encompassing.

LordofBrooklyn
Piggles!

riv6672

I say, it's lawyers. mad

Free will.

Mindship
Death terror, ie, the quest for power to (sometimes consciously, usually otherwise) compensate for mortality.

Beniboybling
dmb

The Ellimist
i saw beni was the last reply and knew he was gonna say dmb

Beniboybling
Originally posted by The Ellimist
i saw beni was the last reply and knew he was gonna say dmb smile

Digi
Desire

A few others have mentioned this, and I agree. I'm not spiritual in any sense of the word, but the Buddha had it right in this case. Everything else mentioned (the serious responses at least) can be traced to this. The OP asks for the root. So there it is.

Elimination of desire is often seen as a destruction of self, or giving up any agency in the world. But something akin to "actionless action" (an inelegant translation, but the best Google term to search to learn about it) that Taoism talks about - in my view - retains the aspects people are worried about losing while dropping the negative stuff.

Desire - and its corollary fear - are also the two emotions used to manipulate anyone to do anything. Watch any advertisement, ever, or listen to any political speech, and start to see how it plays to either our desires/hopes or our fears.

Not that I'm anywhere near the level of "actionless action," mind you. It just makes intellectual sense to me.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Digi
Desire

A few others have mentioned this, and I agree. I'm not spiritual in any sense of the word, but the Buddha had it right in this case. Everything else mentioned (the serious responses at least) can be traced to this. The OP asks for the root. So there it is.

Elimination of desire is often seen as a destruction of self, or giving up any agency in the world. But something akin to "actionless action" (an inelegant translation, but the best Google term to search to learn about it) that Taoism talks about - in my view - retains the aspects people are worried about losing while dropping the negative stuff.

Desire - and its corollary fear - are also the two emotions used to manipulate anyone to do anything. Watch any advertisement, ever, or listen to any political speech, and start to see how it plays to either our desires/hopes or our fears.

Not that I'm anywhere near the level of "actionless action," mind you. It just makes intellectual sense to me.

Greed is Man's greatest Emotion. Nuff Said.

Lord Lucien
Rock n Roll music and color TV. And the coloreds. And liberals. Hitler was a Democrat. Google it. It's true.

JKBart
israel imo
and pizza

Stigma
JK Bart is the root of evil.

JKBart
smile
smile smile
smile smile smile
smile smile
smile

CroftAlice
Human nature

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Rock n Roll music and color TV. And the coloreds. And liberals. Hitler was a Democrat. Google it. It's true.

Don't for get the Bees. Even Batman fears The BEES!

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/537/630/ebd.jpg

dadudemon
Originally posted by JKBart
israel imo
and pizza

?

...and pizza

https://i.imgur.com/S5tbpDH.jpg

Wait a minute....

...and pizza

https://i.imgur.com/gBG3wRV.jpg

JKBart
see

is there any evil thing you wouldn't do for an infinite amount of pizzas?

thats why pizza is the root of all evil smile

Astner
I'm the root of all evil. Make an enemy of me and I'll convince you of it.

https://i.imgur.com/4VNlNUC.png

Tzeentch
Are you still a cute twink or did you eventually start adding protein to your diet?

Astner
I'd still kick your chubby ass around like a soccer ball, that's for sure.

Tzeentch
That doesn't answer my question duder.

Are you still in Auschwitz-mode or did you graduate to Otter-mode?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.