Do Conservatives really believe the shit they say?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
"Let the market decide" on everything. That'll fix the problems.

"Privatize".

"It's all about the profit".

"If you need help, you're bad and you should feel bad".

And hey, if you can't afford your heart meds anymore because some "capitalist" decided to aquire them and raise the prices by 5,000%, that's on YOU buddy. Get a better job!

The funny thing, is when one of these loudmouthed conservatives in their 40's have a kid with special needs, like down syndrome, do they refuse any and all forms of help and "pull up the bootstraps"?

Hell, no. They opt in for any service they can get, and beg for help from their online buddies.. (Which I donated towards, in one case..)

I get that big government isn't exactly an answer to lifes problems, either, it's just this "no one needs help, ever" mixed with "if you can't afford something important, it's NOT MY PROBLEM" attitude. Essentially, they're saying "**** 'em".

Until life hits them hard, then they beg just like everyone else.

The Ellimist
It seems pretty clear that neither communism nor anarchism works very well, at least not as of now, so there has to be some optimal point in between the two. It gets dumb when some people think the answer is a dogmatic thing rather than an empirical question.

snowdragon
Another one of these threads, failed.

Surtur
Why would they not believe something like "let the market decide" ?

For example, take a bakery that doesn't wanna do stuff for gay weddings. The government shouldn't be deciding "you have to do it, you even draw a dick on that cake if they ask and you smile while doing it". Rather, the market should decide. If people are truly bothered they will not go to the bakery anymore. If enough people are bothered there will be an impact on business. And if there is no impact on business obviously it's not as big a deal as people are making it out to be.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by cdtm
The funny thing, is when one of these loudmouthed conservatives in their 40's have a kid with special needs, like down syndrome, do they refuse any and all forms of help and "pull up the bootstraps"?

Hell, no. They opt in for any service they can get, and beg for help from their online buddies.. (Which I donated towards, in one case..)
My dude, there's a difference between charity where the person helping consents to provide the money, and the government deciding to redistribute someone's wealth without necessarily their consent.

The Ellimist
Well the notion that the market is close to 100% efficient is patently absurd.

snowdragon
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Well the notion that the market is close to 100% efficient is patently absurd.

That is why we aren't in a system that lets that happen.

Emperordmb
And the notion that the government is just some magic wand that could and should be waved every time there's a problem, rather than held in restraint to be used sparingly like the instrument of force it is.

The Ellimist
Hence why we have a mixed economy, and the calibration is more of an empirical / optimization question than a principled one.

Surtur
Originally posted by Emperordmb
And the notion that the government is just some magic wand that could and should be waved every time there's a problem, rather than held in restraint to be used sparingly like the instrument of force it is.

Notice that even when the government clearly fails...some people still want to give them more power? Look at guns. We see failure after failure on the part of law enforcement, etc. Yet the solution is "more laws" for some.

Or education. Our education system is failing and yet people still rail against charter schools. Some parents were arrested at a school board meeting about charter schools.

snowdragon
Hence why we have a mixed economy, and the calibration is more of an empirical / optimization question than a principled one.

I agree but beyond that, we look at our system and have to decide free market=freedom, govt=lack of freedom.

Find the balance in between however the govt isn't a savior, far from it.

SquallX
Originally posted by Surtur
Notice that even when the government clearly fails...some people still want to give them more power? Look at guns. We see failure after failure on the part of law enforcement, etc. Yet the solution is "more laws" for some.

Or education. Our education system is failing and yet people still rail against charter schools. Some parents were arrested at a school board meeting about charter schools.

Who were arrested?

Surtur
Originally posted by SquallX
Who were arrested?

Some of the parents.

Police arrest parents, dragging one out, in school board meeting proposing charter schools

SquallX

Surtur

Putinbot1
@OP No, rightists are inherently hypocritical and evil shifty

Surtur

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Putinbot1
@OP No, rightists are inherently hypocritical and evil shifty

Got that right.

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Surtur
And if there is no impact on business obviously it's not as big a deal as people are making it out to be.

Tell that to black people in the segregation-era South.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Tell that to black people in the segregation-era South.
And most of those Problems were created by Democrats so...

SunRazer
Both the Republicans and the Democrats have changed radically since then.

The Ellimist
fly is a troll

Flyattractor
Originally posted by SunRazer
Both the Republicans and the Democrats have changed radically since then.

Have they Really?

fly is a troll

It must be Horrible for people like you to have to exist in a world where Not Everyone is FORCED to share the same opinion as You.

SunRazer
Yes, most certainly.

fly is a troll

I'm aware. smile

Flyattractor
Originally posted by SunRazer
Yes, most certainly.

I'm aware. smile

Really? I thought you were SunRazer!f?

eek!

Todd1700
Originally posted by Flyattractor
And most of those Problems were created by Democrats so... I've lived in the South my whole life. 52 years. If you want me to explain to you why those people were calling themselves Democrats at the time I will. FYI they've all switched to the Republican party now. But they're still the same old racists they always were.

snowdragon
Originally posted by Todd1700
I've lived in the South my whole life. 52 years. If you want me to explain to you why those people were calling themselves Democrats at the time I will. FYI they've all switched to the Republican party now. But they're still the same old racists they always were.

I'd love to hear it, explain their racism.

Before you start your tirade though explain what YOU mean by racism.

Flyattractor
I've lived in the South my whole life. 52 years. If you want me to explain to you why those people were calling themselves Democrats at the time I will. FYI they've all switched to the Republican party now. But they're still the same old racists they always were.

I will need to have you send me every thing about you and
your personal life before I could fully answer that for you.

Originally posted by snowdragon
I'd love to hear it, explain their racism.

Before you start your tirade though explain what YOU mean by racism.

Or you could just start here.

Todd1700

Flyattractor
I said PERSONAL INFORMATION! That is more of a Personal Opinion!

None of that said ANYTHING about You , Your History and Actual Experiences in your Life.

For all we know You are some House Bound Couch Potato that only gets your KNOWLEDGE from Twitter.

You already sound like a Brain washed shut in so I am going to go with that.

Todd1700
What personal info do you want? Are you asking for person incidents of racism I have witnessed? Exactly what is it you doubt?

Flyattractor
Where do you live. How do you live. Actual Experiences YOU have had and witnessed with Racism and Persons of Other Races and Persuasions.

Do YOU Live in a Racially Diverse Area? Rich Or Poor? THAT Kind of THING!

Not just Stuff you have read about.

Emperordmb
I mean the existence of racists on the right doesn't really fill me with any guilt because their racism is built atop principles antithetical to my own, and I make that known in no uncertain terms. I've been willing to and have condemned the alt-right as delusional, racist, immoral, and having no respect for the dignity of a person to define themselves as individuals rather than being classified as merely a member of a racial collective.

That's what I think every non-racist right-winger should do, and that's also what I think every non-racist left-winger should do when they see people promoting diversity policies that discriminate on the basis of race or other left-wingers discriminating against individuals in the public discourse for being "****ING WHITE MALES" or spreading critical race theory bullshit about how "all white people are racist."

I mean really, regardless of which side of the spectrum you fall on, if you aren't a racist you should have no problem denouncing racist people, statements, or actions from people on that same side of the political spectrum. Making such a statement is not some tacit admission of guilt or complicity in racism from other people on your political wing, but rather a firm assertion that you do not hold racist principles or beliefs.

Todd1700
I live in a small town Called Pine Hill. Very rural. I am solidly middle class as are most people here. I work as a RN at a hospital.

As for things I have seen. I have personally seen black people ejected from churches here that tried to attend services at one of the white churches. I have seen as a child in the 70's the KKK drive through downtown Thomasville pulling a trailer behind a truck shouting racist shit on a bullhorn as other klansmen attacked some black people trying to go to a movie theater on the same street. I know real estate agents that refused to sell to black people. And I have spent my whole life living around people who assume that because I am white that I think and feel exactly as they do. Some random guy in line at a store will launch into the most wildly racist diatribe you can imagine assuming that I will find it nothing but funny simply because I am also white. I could go on and on but I do not need to justify myself to you.

Flyattractor
Now See. Those are Actual EXAMPLES!Q

You Could have started out with that but you didn't. You chose to just throw out typical leftist rhetoric.
Also sounds like you have a lot of racist friends.

And it sounds like You do feel the need to justify yourself.

Leftist White Guilt is a crappy thing for those that believe in it.

Todd1700
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Now See. Those are Actual EXAMPLES!Q

You Could have started out with that but you didn't. You chose to just throw out typical leftist rhetoric.
Also sounds like you have a lot of racist friends.

And it sounds like You do feel the need to justify yourself.

Leftist White Guilt is a crappy thing for those that believe in it. My friends are not like that and I do not hang around the ones who are. But they are unavoidable. And as I said before they assume you feel the same as they do just because you are also white. You will hear plenty of racist shit from people you don't even know.

cdtm
My friends are not like that and I do not hang around the ones who are. But they are unavoidable. And as I said before they assume you feel the same as they do just because you are also white. You will hear plenty of racist shit from people you don't even know.

I asked an SJW friend how come all the racists seemes to be poor.

His response was, the rich ones didn't feel threatened by blacks competing for the same jobs.

I don't think he realized how dysfunctional he made society seem, nor how poor whites and blacks at each others throats while rich whites got to be on the "right side" was in itself kind of ****ed up...

samhain
The rich ones just hide it better IMO.

darthgoober
The less people have, the more justified they feel in placing the blame on someone else for their problems. That's why most of the openly racists(be they white, black, or whatever) are poor.

cdtm
Originally posted by darthgoober
The less people have, the more justified they feel in placing the blame on someone else for their problems. That's why most of the openly racists(be they white, black, or whatever) are poor.

I agree.

They misplace their blame.

I know, you were probably talking against blaming anyone else at all, but I say the Ichan's and Jordan Belforts of the world shoulder a lot of blame for the shit state of the world...

Hell, even the Vince McMahon's didn't help. We all grew up watching his show, and admire the man for his success, but that success happened atop inhumane working conditions, the death of many jobs through the regional system, cover ups on encouraged drug abuse that is so bad the fans have a death watch poll.. I mean, Benoit. BENOIT!

Flyattractor
My friends are not like that and I do not hang around the ones who are. But they are unavoidable. And as I said before they assume you feel the same as they do just because you are also white. You will hear plenty of racist shit from people you don't even know.

Well according to Ivy League College Professors All Whites are Racsit so....I guess that must make it true.

Originally posted by samhain
The rich ones just hide it better IMO.

Not in Ivy Leageu Colleges apparently.

ESB -1138
"Let the market decide" on everything. That'll fix the problems.

Yes.

"Privatize".

Yes. Privatization encouraged ownership and work which led to the creation of the greatest civilization in the history of humanity. Or do you suggest that you shouldn't own the fruits of your labor? The tragedy of the commons is written about quite well and we have a plethora of examples throughout history that shows exactly what happens when one ends private ownership.

"It's all about the profit".

Yes. Because to make a commodity cheaper and better you need two things: profit incentive and freedom of labor. If there's absolutely no incentive to make a product better, then why do it? That's exactly what happened in Detroit with the automobile industry there. Once the tariffs and trade barriers were lifted to allow foreign competition into America, they couldn't compete. Detroit collapsed because unions and regulations made Detroit uncompetitive in a global market. There was no incentive to make a better product because subsidies and tariffs kept competition away.

"If you need help, you're bad and you should feel bad".

...who? Who says this??

And hey, if you can't afford your heart meds anymore because some "capitalist" decided to aquire them and raise the prices by 5,000%, that's on YOU buddy. Get a better job!

Kind of like the Epipen? That wasn't the free market's fault. That was the Federal Government ensuring that there was no competition. That's the only way one could jack up prices by 5,000%. The FDA barred substitution for Epipen. You know what happens in a free market when someone raises the price of something up 5,000%? Someone jumps into the market and offers a product at a cheaper price.

Strawman is noted.

I get that big government isn't exactly an answer to lifes problems, either, it's just this "no one needs help, ever" mixed with "if you can't afford something important, it's NOT MY PROBLEM" attitude. Essentially, they're saying "**** 'em".

Until life hits them hard, then they beg just like everyone else.

So you willingly gave money for a donation and you think this is somehow against capitalism or conservatism...how? Private charity and voluntary exchange is conservatism. Forcing people under threat of a government gun to surrender to property or labor is what we stand against.

cdtm
This same individual regularly and loudly proclaimed no man should ever need help.

And then when life hit him hard, he begged for help.

That's my point there.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.