Name One Liberal Arts Degree More Valuable Than Mechanical Engineering

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ILS
By valuable you can choose the metric, but I'd like to focus primarily on economic value to yourself and society, as well as how much value it allows you to bring to the common man. Is there a single artsy fartsy, soft "science" degree one can study, such as a doctorate in Lesbian Puppetry Studies, that can provide more value in even one important metric than a degree in Mechanical Engineering?

dadudemon
Since "value" is subjective as f*ck, then any liberal arts degree can be viewed as more valuable than a mechanical engineer.

Since I had to tutor the mechanical engineers in college in physics, I can tell you, there's nothing remarkable about a person that decides they want to be a mechanical engineer. Nothing at all. Just like all professions and degree programs, there are a lot of stupid people, most are normal, and some are very smart.

As far as practicality, your liberal arts major or even postgraduate might also get into management and make decisions for your Mechanical Engineers such as which program they will green-light. It provides a "well-rounded education" and emphasizes some philosophy things which is great for debate.

I think you're falling for the classic American "STEM Majors >>>>>>>>>>> Liberal Arts Majors" bullshit. It's silly masturbatory elitism.

Emperordmb
Well I have no problem being an elitist over at bare minimum all the shitty activist degrees like gender studies.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Well I have no problem being an elitist over at bare minimum all the shitty activist degrees like gender studies.

And they think people like you and I are social scum with our anti-politically correct positions and the lack of love for safe spaces.

It goes both ways. And it's a rather stupid hate-circle.

ILS
Originally posted by dadudemon
Since "value" is subjective as f*ck, then any liberal arts degree can be viewed as more valuable than a mechanical engineer.

Since I had to tutor the mechanical engineers in college in physics, I can tell you, there's nothing remarkable about a person that decides they want to be a mechanical engineer. Nothing at all. Just like all professions and degree programs, there are a lot of stupid people, most are normal, and some are very smart.

As far as practicality, your liberal arts major or even postgraduate might also get into management and make decisions for your Mechanical Engineers such as which program they will green-light. It provides a "well-rounded education" and emphasizes some philosophy things which is great for debate.

I think you're falling for the classic American "STEM Majors >>>>>>>>>>> Liberal Arts Majors" bullshit. It's silly masturbatory elitism. I gave you a guideline for what value metrics we're using.

I wasn't talking about individual intelligence, so that's another point you've missed.

Also, why not just have more experienced mechanical engineers manage mechanical engineers, instead of limp wristed liberals with no real world experience fresh out of university?

Really? If you could succinctly explain why liberal arts degrees are providing as much for society as your humble mechanical engineer, I'm sure we'd all be enthralled.

dadudemon
Originally posted by ILS
I gave you a guideline for what value metrics we're using.

No, you do not get to dictate what value means to me. lol

You can shove your very stupid "value metrics" up your undeserving elitist ass. And, please, be sure to sprinkle some itching powder on your value metrics before inserting them.

"Guys, I want to talk about y. But you can only talk about y within my subjective framework." Feels an awful lot like a liberal arts professor... What's next, your safe space decree?

Originally posted by ILS
I wasn't talking about individual intelligence, so that's another point you've missed.

And you seem to think you're opinion is law which is telling of how huge of an idiot you are.

Originally posted by ILS
Also, why not just have more experienced mechanical engineers manage mechanical engineers, instead of limp wristed liberals with no real world experience fresh out of university?

If you ever become an executive, select your senior managers with traits you want. Let me know how that works out for you. smile

Originally posted by ILS
Really? If you could succinctly explain why liberal arts degrees are providing as much for society as your humble mechanical engineer, I'm sure we'd all be enthralled.

Really? Please explain to me why you think a mechanical engineer is God and a liberal arts major is vermin to society? I'm sure I'll be enthralled by your homophobia, anti-intellectualism, and false-sense of superiority.

What's the matter, are you mad that I had to tutor your precious "mechanical engineering major" gods because they were too stupid to understand kinematics? grouchoawe

ILS
Instead of just saying "hurr durr it's all subjective" make an argument instead of sperging out lol. You choose the value metric champ.

My opinion is law, so that's another L for you "dude."
LMAO. What cringe. Didn't have you figured for an SJW. Nice strawman too btw.

In any case, yeah, I'd say getting a subsidised education in a worthless degree and not being able to produce economic value from it makes you somewhat parasitical on a macro level, compared to an engineer. Now go ahead and do what the thread says instead of taking this so personally. What are you, a history major? Cry more. laughing out loud

Emperordmb

dadudemon
Originally posted by ILS
Instead of just saying "hurr durr it's all subjective" make an argument instead of sperging out lol.

No, that's your job. That's the topic of your thread. You need to convince me that your elitism (false sense of it) is justified. I don't need to convince you or anyone that value is subjective.

Originally posted by ILS
My opinion is law, so that's another L for you "dude."
LMAO. What cringe. Didn't have you figured for an SJW. Nice strawman too btw.

Is this what the stupid incels are doing on the net these days? "HA! You're an SJW! Your point is invalid. Gotem!"

Originally posted by ILS
In any case, yeah, I'd say getting a subsidised education in a worthless degree and not being able to produce economic value from it makes you somewhat parasitical on a macro level, compared to an engineer.

So, in your opinion, a Liberal Arts major:

1. Gets a subsidized education.
2. It's a worthless degree.
3. They provide no economic value.
4. And they are parasites to the economy "on a macro level." (LOL at this one)

Originally posted by ILS
Now go ahead and do what the thread says instead of taking this so personally. What are you, a history major? Cry more. laughing out loud

Instead of taking this personally? Why would I take this personally? I have 2 STEM degrees and I work in a "STEM Field."

Did you know it's possible not to shit on liberal art majors while also having a STEM degree?

You didn't address this point:

This is you:

You're coming off a lot like a stereotypical liberal arts professor who will not allow students to think outside their safe space box of ideals.

Robtard
DDM BINGO'd the shit out of this thread and this ILS elitist kid. Good stuff; thanks, I laughed thumb up

Surtur

The Ellimist
A lot of the value behind a degree comes from the signaling game it participates in rather than the actual content it teaches you. That being said, a few possibilities if we're talking about personal benefit:

Law school. Since law schools care almost exclusively about your LSAT + gpa, it makes the most sense to take up a high-GPA average major (unless if you want to do patent law or something). Of course, law has a really low average job satisfaction level, but it can be incredibly lucrative if you go to a top law school.

Any degree from an elite university + a high GPA and other resume items can get you into a top investment bank or other Wall Street entity, where you'll make obscene amounts of money at the price of working insane hours. You could also get here with a mechanical engineering degree at said schools, but it would be harder to given the more rigorous coursework.

If you play your cards right with a liberal arts degree you can get into a good management or management-track position, e.g. product management positions at a big tech company. This could also be done with a mechanical engineering degree, but of course the major itself would take far more effort.

Politics. You'd probably make more connections in certain majors at certain universities.

Kurk
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Well I have no problem being an elitist over at bare minimum all the shitty activist degrees like gender studies. You said arrogance is the root of all evil. #exposed #hypocrite.

Let's get @putinbot1 in here and see if he can contribute without throwing insults at us yougins.

And btw mechanical engineering, at least where I go, has the stereotype of being the field for those who couldn't handle electrical engineering lol.

The Ellimist
A ton of people are switching from the traditional engineering majors to computer science/engineering

Putinbot1

I think you're falling for the classic American "STEM Majors >>>>>>>>>>> Liberal Arts Majors" bullshit. It's silly masturbatory elitism. Agreed.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Kurk
You said arrogance is the root of all evil. #exposed #hypocrite.
1. Nobody is sinless. I don't always live up to the standards I try to hold myself to.
2. I should've been more precise with my language there. What I meant to say was that I have no problem making obvious value distinctions between a degree that produces technological advancements and economic growth and degrees that are dedicated to the advancement of a cultural agenda I find reprehensible.

Putinbot1
No, that's your job. That's the topic of your thread. You need to convince me that your elitism (false sense of it) is justified. I don't need to convince you or anyone that value is subjective.

Is this what the stupid incels are doing on the net these days? "HA! You're an SJW! Your point is invalid. Gotem!"

So, in your opinion, a Liberal Arts major:

1. Gets a subsidized education.
2. It's a worthless degree.
3. They provide no economic value.
4. And they are parasites to the economy "on a macro level." (LOL at this one)

Instead of taking this personally? Why would I take this personally? I have 2 STEM degrees and I work in a "STEM Field."

Did you know it's possible not to shit on liberal art majors while also having a STEM degree?

You didn't address this point:

This is you:

You're coming off a lot like a stereotypical liberal arts professor who will not allow students to think outside their safe space box of ideals. Excellent post, no more need be said. /end

Tzeentch
They're all more valuable then mechanical engineering.

The only reason engineering has value is because no one wants to do it. If everyone in the world got an engineering degree tomorrow, by the day after 80% of them would be working at mcdonalds.

Flyattractor
Yes. Most People that go for the Liberal Arts are indeed Lazy Sanctimonious Butt Holes. And those usually are the types that go in to..."Management".

Kurk
@DDM

ILS is asking which major has more market value than engineering. I agree that autistic engineers are tools to be used by those in management positions, but for those who already possess soft-skills (which taking a bunch of lib art classes won't grant you btw), they obviously have more worth than a pure history/psych/pol sci major.

In high-school I focused mostly on the liberal arts, scored 5's on all my AP history/ pol-sci exams, received college credit for them, and vowed never to touch one of those classes again.

If you're paying enough money in tuition to make a down-payment on a house with the expectation of becoming a well-rounded person you're a fool.

You wanna know how I became a 'well rounded person'? I read from an early age. That's right. I actually went to a brick and mortar library, checked out books a variety of topics, and read. It's that f*cking simple. It's far easier to read and understand a book about early civilizations than it is to try and figure out differential equations on your own.

Now I think the stigma of lib arts majors being worthless comes from the problem we have of way too many people going to college who shouldn't be. These people are far less likely to choose rigorous STEMM majors over, say, communications and psychology which are focused around regurgitating information, not problem solving/critical thinking.

Employers want to hire people who can solve problems. Engineers, mathematicians, etc can do that because they've been conditioned to. Are there any lib arts degrees which value problem solving to the same extent? The closest I can think of is history and political science, but those are more analytical. Regardless, I'd recommend Data Science over either of those two for the analytical type.

Go look at highest average IQ by college major. Aside from philosophy, the top dogs are all engineering/math.

Kurk
Originally posted by Tzeentch
They're all more valuable then mechanical engineering.

The only reason engineering has value is because no one wants to do it. If everyone in the world got an engineering degree tomorrow, by the day after 80% of them would be working at mcdonalds. I agree, but there is a reason why no one wants to (is able) to do it.

Flyattractor
Those that Can't Do. Go into Management.

dadudemon

The Ellimist
Originally posted by Tzeentch
The only reason engineering has value is because no one wants to do it.

I think that's stretching it. Engineering isn't close to the most vulnerable field to over-saturation.

DarthSkywalker0
No Liberal Arts degree is more valuable.

Surtur
How can we even have gender studies when gender is a social construct?

Robtard
Cos we can study the cause and effect of said social construct

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Robtard
Cos we can study the cause and effect of said social construct Bingo!

Surtur
They can study why transgender folk need to mutilate genitals if it is a social construct.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.