Cobra Kai

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

juggernaut74
Official thread for the new YouTube Red series.

Let the discussion begin!!

quanchi112
laughing out loud

Dreampanther
One of the best-written series ever made. Amazingly it manages to pay tribute to the movie (and the 80s) while poking fun at it. And characters' growth are exceptional. A funny, fantastic series.

Digi
I've heard nothing but good things. May have to watch at some point.

Impediment

emporerpants
I actually really enjoyed it. The trailers for it made me think that it was just going to be nothing but jokes and shitting on the original's legacy, etc., and while there is some of that, it still is respectful and pays homage. When they are ribbing on things it's done in a loving way, and it is much more respectful of the original movie than the trailers would lead you to believe.

juggernaut74
Mike Barnes rumored to be returning for season 2.

https://youtu.be/xbZbT4H18wM

juggernaut74
This show has been renewed for a 2nd season already.

cdtm
The two freebies and the previews just aren't selling me.

TBH, Karate Kid in general isn't a crown jewel of my childhood. Yeah, I enjoyed it, but it's no Rocky or Superman. No real call for a continuation or sequel.

Hell, I was more on board for those Steet Fighter post tournament fan films years ago, with Zangief running an arcade. Or even that SF Legacy fan film.. And I don't even like Street Fighter.

And this doesn't come anywhere near the quality of those Mortal Kombat YouTube videos. More of an SNL sketch then anything (How I hate SNL..)

Dreampanther
Originally posted by juggernaut74
Mike Barnes rumored to be returning for season 2.

https://youtu.be/xbZbT4H18wM

I want Karate Ross to be the final boss in Season 2.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8b/66/0b/8b660b21f9a659d03f5054990725865e.jpg

Digi
Originally posted by cdtm
The two freebies and the previews just aren't selling me.

TBH, Karate Kid in general isn't a crown jewel of my childhood. Yeah, I enjoyed it, but it's no Rocky or Superman. No real call for a continuation or sequel.

I actually have about zero nostalgia for it as well. I just legitimately enjoyed Cobra Kai enough that that didn't matter. I don't think nostalgia for the original is a pre-req. Knowing the basics of the plot(s) certainly helps, though.

But no show will be for everybody.

Surtur
I have some nostalgia for the movie, plus the video game. I've seen the first episode only cuz I think you need to pay to see the rest.

But at one point Johnny says Daniel won that final point via an illegal move. Was that true?

Dreampanther
"USANKF Sport Karate Rules (which the All Valley Karate Tournament would have most certainly been using) Article 8 states: "Traditional Karate techniques delivered full-power can cause extremely serious injury, even death. Karate competition is a sport, and for that reason some of the most dangerous techniques are banned and all techniques must be controlled." The crane kick is not only considered a dangerous technique - but Daniel completed it full force, with zero restraint or control. Boom - disqualified."

https://www.google.co.za/amp/s/www.overthinkingit.com/2008/12/08/disqualify-daniel-larusso/amp/

TheVaultDweller
When I initially heard this show was happening, my only thought was, "Why? Just why?" But based on all the positive things I have been reading across various sites, I might actually have to give it a go.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
When I initially heard this show was happening, my only thought was, "Why? Just why?" But based on all the positive things I have been reading across various sites, I might actually have to give it a go.

I am 99% sure you will love it.

Surtur
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller

I had the same thought, but I gave it a chance and it was pleasantly surprising. It's a nice twist that the bully from the first film gets a lot of focus and is the one doing the training of the young bullied kid.

juggernaut74
Originally posted by Surtur
I have some nostalgia for the movie, plus the video game. I've seen the first episode only cuz I think you need to pay to see the rest.

But at one point Johnny says Daniel won that final point via an illegal move. Was that true? In the trailer while Johnny was at Daniels dealership one of the workers asks Danny if that was the guy who's ass he kicked to which Daniel replied that he technically kicked his face. Johnny says that it was an illegal kick. Danny then says right before you gave me an illegal elbow. Johnny comes back says that he lost a point with his move and Daniel won the fight with his illegal kick.

Johnny has a point. It's also interesting if you watch the show to hear Johnny's perspective of the events of the original Karate Kid movie. Johnny thinks Daniel started it all by throwing the first punch.

Panzerlock
If you ship Hawk and Moon, they become "Hawkmoon"... or "Moonhawk". Both of which sound like a totally awesome 80's cartoon character. Like someone who would fight with the ThunderCats!

Bashar Teg
what a dumb show.

Surtur
It's awesome. It's already getting a 2nd season.

BackFire
I'd like to watch this. Not going to pay for youtube red, though.

Surtur
Originally posted by BackFire
I'd like to watch this. Not going to pay for youtube red, though.

Check out the first 2 eps at least. Worth it for the nostalgia.

BackFire
My fear there is that I will actually like the show and want to watch the rest, at which point I won't be able to (legally).

Surtur
True, but damn it's a shame to miss any of it.

Even the people who made it are like "wtf how is this so popular?".

Bashar Teg
predictable af. already obvious how the whole stupid second season is going to go. bleh.

BackFire
If you remove nostalgia, is the show good?

Surtur
Yes.

BackFire
Eh, maybe I'll just pirate it.

Flyattractor
The Youtube Patrol will hunt you down for that.

Kazenji
I've only watched episodes 1 & 2 because they were free....ehh its ok.

Impediment

Surtur
I really liked it. It was interesting how Miguel shifted from being bullied to being the bully. And how in the end he chose not to do the right thing and won the tournament.

There is also a lot of great comedy in this series too, which I did not expect. I never laughed as much during any of the Karate Kid movies. The part where some SJW karate kid gives some weepy speech at a karate tournament before a fight and Johnny leans over to his student and goes "kick this pansy b*tch in the face" is hilarious.

Surtur

BackFire
It's just a shame Pat Morita can't be in this. I watched the original Karate Kid the other night - first time in a long, long time - and it really is his movie. He's the reason it's good beyond nostalgia. Mr Miyagi is an excellent character with a surprising amount of depth.

Surtur
It's just a shame Pat Morita can't be in this. I watched the original Karate Kid the other night - first time in a long, long time - and it really is his movie. He's the reason it's good beyond nostalgia. Mr Miyagi is an excellent character with a surprising amount of depth.

Yeah, but his presence is felt.

Though yeah, actually a scene with a grown up Johnny talking to Miyagi would have been amazing.

The show also made me watch the original movie again recently. I daresay I might even watch Karate Kid 2 again as well. Maybe. Hulu has all 3 movies.

The 2nd film does give a lot of Miyagi's backstory.

Robtard

BackFire
Think I'm gonna give this a go when I'm done watching Death Note. Will just do the free month trial of youtube red I guess.

carthage
Saw the first few episodes and really enjoyed it

BackFire
I'm so impressed with this show. Wow. I'm about 7 episodes in and am loving it so far. Funny and moving and hits all the right nostalgia beats. It's a lot better than it has any right to be.

Surtur
I'm so impressed with this show. Wow. I'm about 7 episodes in and am loving it so far. Funny and moving and hits all the right nostalgia beats. It's a lot better than it has any right to be.

Told yew.

Flyattractor
Caught the first two eps. Was good. Pretty much hit the skip button when ever its about the LaRusso Family. That shit got old.

Robtard

Good news, it was renewed for a 2nd season.

Though I can't see this show going being 3, if even stopping at 2.

BackFire
Well seeing as this is the only show on youtube red that anyone has heard of, they'll probably want to keep it going for as long as possible. And I think the characters are strong enough to where they'd be able to go a while off their backs alone.

Robtard
Juts don't know how much sexually frustrated angst between Johnny and Danial they can do.

BackFire
I just finished the season. Really really liked how it ended. Think there's a lot they could still do with this series. Especially since they announced a couple weeks ago that Kreese will be a series regular in season 2.

Also read that the kid from Karate Kid 3 is interested in being in this.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Surtur
It's awesome. It's already getting a 2nd season. It's alright, I don't really like the teenagers at all. But Johnny and Daniel are always the best parts of the show, imo.

Impediment
I want Elizabeth Shue to have a role in season 2.

juggernaut74
I'm sure Terry Silver will be back, he was mentioned in season 1.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.