Who is a better villain and why; Thanos or Darth Vader?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

quanchi112

Darth Thor
Vader is course.

Most Iconic Villain in cinema history. First in ANH by his mere presence, then later by fleshing him out making him a redeemable character by ROTJ.

Josh_Alexander
Thanos is certainly more powerful and to my criteria better than Vader.

quanchi112

CPT Space Bomb
Vader is the better movie villain so far. But Thanos is much more powerful for sure. Power =/= greatness though. That being said I do think Thanos is the best COMIC BOOK MOVIE villain of all time. As John Campea said, Heath Ledger's performance was better than Brolins, but Thanos is the better character.

Darth Thor
^ Agreed.

Quan I might have responded if your posts were quotable.

But in short, I agree with Vaders Iconic status, for the reasons given.

Impediment
Darth Vader is more iconic than Coca Cola and will stand the test of time.

quanchi112

Estacado
Vader is overrated....

Darth Thor
Quan read my post. The reasons are there.

Certainly better than Joshs reason for choosing Thanos- because hes more powerful.

Josh_Alexander

Josh_Alexander

FrothByte
Darth Vader has had 3 movies to be developed (6 if you count the prequels) and has the power of nostalgia to back him up.

If "A New Hope" was only released today, with updated visual effects and all, Darth Vader would be considered no more than an average villain at best.

quanchi112

quanchi112
Originally posted by Estacado
Vader is overrated.... Nostalgia clouds their judgment.

-Pr-
Vader's a better villain, even if the prequels didn't help his cause that much.

quanchi112

NotAllThatEvil
Vader. He's just so cool. I think people will still be quoting him long after they stop quoting thanos.

WolvesofBabylon
Vader. We have had 6 movies even if you hate the prequels to see his story play out. From being the chosen one, to be tricked into joining the dark side, his rule to ultimately going against everything he believed and was taught to make sure his son didnt go down the same path or be killed. It is a redemption story.

With Thanos, maybe I am jaded by knowing about the IG story or how painfully obvious Dr Strange made it that this is part of the plan, i dont feel emotionally connected to what happened.

He is a top 3 Comic Book Villain to me which is still really good, just not an all time great.

quanchi112

Kazenji
Originally posted by FrothByte
Darth Vader has had 3 movies to be developed (6 if you count the prequels) and has the power of nostalgia to back him up.

If "A New Hope" was only released today, with updated visual effects and all, Darth Vader would be considered no more than an average villain at best.

He also has two comic book runs from Marvel which are canon

one set after Episode 4 and one set after Episode 3 not long after him getting the suit.

WolvesofBabylon
Might be true, but still better than Thanos. 10 years from now, Thanos will not be in any discussions as best villain.

Thanos...Good but not great...Sums it up

quanchi112

WolvesofBabylon
I already stated my reasoning for liking Vader more and had nothing to do with popularity

quanchi112

WolvesofBabylon
Killed Children, Killed Obi Wan, blew up planets,nearly killed his son...Sounds like a hero to me

quanchi112
Originally posted by WolvesofBabylon
Killed Children, Killed Obi Wan, blew up planets,nearly killed his son...Sounds like a hero to me In war. People kill kids in war all the time. He rejected evil in the end and was tricked into the dark side after a horrific impulse decision altered his life.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.