How much you rely on sourcebooks and handbooks?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Freedon Nadd
I am referring when it comes to the author's in-universe interpretation of certain events playing in a book.

What is more 'official' for you:
These or the book itself?

What do you do when you meet inconsistencies between hand/sourcebooks and books?

Accept the authorial intent(the book) or the interpretation of the authorial intent(handbooks and sourcebooks)?

Kurk
By definition all interpretations are valid, however, some interpretations are more reasonable than others.

ares834
Not every source book is in-universe.

Regardless, I'll almost always take the actual book/game/whatever over a source book's summary of events.

One Big Mob
The handbooks are only there to explain the events in question and further reinforce the issues that played out in the source material. If there are no inconsistencies, then why would it be wrong?

The Source comes first. The handbooks come second. Your interpretations come last.

JMANGO
Their validity is 100% factual, unquestionable and they express the thematic culmination of every legislator that has put pen 2 paper.

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by JMANGO
Their validity is 100% factual, unquestionable and they express the thematic culmination of every legislator that has put pen 2 paper.

A fragment from a source/handbook regarding ROTJ has Palpatine's frail appearance(given by the corrosive effects of the Dark Side) as misleading because he is actually very capable of lightsabre combat.
Yet, in Dark Empire Trilogy we find out that the corrosive aspects of the Dark Side actually do cause harm to his body.

laughing out loud

So much accuracy in your source/handbooks.

ares834
What's so funny? There is no direct contradiction between the two statements you just made. The effects of the dark side can damage Sheev's body and yet, despite that, he still can be an incredibly capable duelist.

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by One Big Mob
The handbooks are only there to explain the events in question and further reinforce the issues that played out in the source material. If there are no inconsistencies, then why would it be wrong?

The Source comes first. The handbooks come second. Your interpretations come last.

I specifically refer to inconsistencies. Because there are. laughing

This where you are wrong, actually. The handbooks and sourcebooks are nothing else but another interpretation(of an author0 on the said-so book.
Just like me and you: he/she tries to give his/her own interpretation about those events which have already taken place in a certain book.

Of course that when it comes to Star Wars - a handbook is not only a manual telling you certain things about the Force or the Sith Lords' powers, etc

Sometimes it also has interpretation of events too.

http://tlc.cet.ac.il/ShowItem.aspx?ItemID=471ad4f8-8c76-4294-9df5-53d2919e6d2e&lang=EN

Basically it all comes down to interpretation. Happy Dance

And just because an author said so that doesn't make it any more true(if inconsistencies appear between source/handbooks and books)

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by ares834
What's so funny? There is no direct contradiction between the two statements you just made. The effects of the dark side can damage Sheev's body and yet, despite that, he still can be an incredibly capable duelist.

You do realize - that in the first situation is stated that his deformation is only an 'aesthetical' aspect of his appearance(kind of like Palpatine's true face revealing when he FL's himself in ROTS)?

Whereas in Dark Empire Trilogy - he is actually physically hindered by the corrosive aspects of the Dark Side - he gets to the point that he needs his cane(just like in ROTJ)
I am talking, of course, about his already damaged (clone) body. Because we know he can get into a new one and be 'strong' once more.

And Dark Empire Palpatine is not the only example. We also have King Ommin and Freedon Nadd.

Stop trying to make these two things make (some) sense. Because they don't, actually.
That's why Sith Lords are forced to transfer their souls into other vessels - because their physical bodies degrade and sicken due to the effects of the Dark Side.

ares834
Originally posted by Freedon Nadd
You do realize - that in the first situation is stated that his deformation is only an 'aesthetical' aspect of his appearance(kind of like Palpatine's true face revealing when he FL's himself in ROTS)?

Then you should have said that rather then what you ended up posting.

Freedon Nadd
I shouldn't have said that. It's not my fault you have problems with your understanding regarding literature.

One Big Mob
I specifically refer to inconsistencies. Because there are. laughing

This where you are wrong, actually. The handbooks and sourcebooks are nothing else but another interpretation(of an author0 on the said-so book.
Just like me and you: he/she tries to give his/her own interpretation about those events which have already taken place in a certain book.

Of course that when it comes to Star Wars - a handbook is not only a manual telling you certain things about the Force or the Sith Lords' powers, etc

Sometimes it also has interpretation of events too.

http://tlc.cet.ac.il/ShowItem.aspx?ItemID=471ad4f8-8c76-4294-9df5-53d2919e6d2e&lang=EN

Basically it all comes down to interpretation. Happy Dance

And just because an author said so that doesn't make it any more true(if inconsistencies appear between source/handbooks and books) Do you think if the handbook doesn't conflict with the source or expands on something not found in the source (but doesn't actually conflict), that your interpretation of the event in question carries just as much weight if you have conflicts with the handbook?

ares834
I shouldn't have said that. It's not my fault you have problems with your understanding regarding literature.

No, you should have. I have no clue what source you were referring to.

Galan007
The source material itself supersedes all.

Guidebooks(and the like) are simply meant to reiterate/solidify/corroborate the source material. If there are no explicit contradictions between them, Guidebooks are just as valid as the source material.

IF, however, there is a flagrant contradiction between them(which is rare, tbh), the source material is what we defer to.

...Not that this was anything more than a bait thread/question, lol.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.