Quip battle: Stark vs. Quill vs. Strange

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FrothByte
These 3 are locked in a room and tasked to try and piss each other off with nothing but words. Any person who loses his temper and gets violent is eliminated and thrown out of the room. Who's the last person remaining?

Adam Grimes
I don't see any of them falling anytime soon lol

gauntlet o doom
Quill's immaturity probably outlasts Stark's patience. I see Strange volunteering to leave the room.

Arachnid1
Strange actually did a damn good job of outquipping Stark in the movie. He one upped him in every verbal exchange they had. That said, I can't see Strange caring enough about this to actually make a contest out of it. He'd just drop a bomb and walk out.

I also don't see Stark being able to get to Star Lord. The guy would probably laugh with him. Star Lord takes it.

Also, the fact that Spidey exists in this universe and isn't someone that comes to mind when making an MCU quip battle is an absolute crime. They really need to work on Spideys wisecrack game.

TheVaultDweller
Just put Drax and Mantis in there and let them run their mouths. Tony would be pulling his hair out in under 5 minutes.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Arachnid1
I also don't see Stark being able to get to Star Lord. The guy would probably laugh with him. Star Lord takes it.

Except, as we see, it's actually easy to get to Quill, if you know where to target. Just look at the whole bit when they pick up Thor. Peter was clearly getting worked up by all the comments. And, barring Rocket, they weren't even really trying to upset him.

FrothByte
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Just put Drax and Mantis in there and let them run their mouths. Tony would be pulling his hair out in under 5 minutes.

Drax and Mantis are too OP for this thread. Though a DP vs Drax quip battle might be fun...

TheVaultDweller
The thing I love about Drax's insult delivery is he doesn't seem to think he is being mean or anything. Just honest lol.

JRPrDnw4HQk

Arachnid1
Except, as we see, it's actually easy to get to Quill, if you know where to target. Just look at the whole bit when they pick up Thor. Peter was clearly getting worked up by all the comments. And, barring Rocket, they weren't even really trying to upset him. Yeah, but not in an angry way. He just started acting like a jealous knob, and he had to be somewhat self aware of that lol. With the life Quills led and the people who raised him? It takes a lot to really piss him off, like killing his mom or girlfriend. With Stark, all you have to do is make an offhand comment about the collateral damage he's caused as IM and he'd be angry. Tony is at the end of his rope character wise these days. Always stressed and always brooding.

Are we assuming that they all have full knowledge of eachothers lives here? Or is it all just spur of the moment.

The thing I love about Drax's insult delivery is he doesn't seem to think he is being mean or anything. Just honest lol. Yeah, he'd be fun in this exchange. He'd probably completely miss the insult of most quips these guys throw out. You'd have to flat out insult him to get an angry reaction, but then thats not a quip.

TheVaultDweller
Yeah, but not in an angry way. He just started acting like a jealous knob, and he had to be somewhat self aware of that lol. With the life Quills led and the people who raised him? It takes a lot to really piss him off. With Stark, all you have to do is make an offhand comment about the collateral damage he's caused as IM and he'd be angry. Tony is at the end of his rope character wise these days. Always stressed and always brooding.

Post examples of current Tony getting genuinely angry over offhand comments about collateral damage please? Based on films like Civil War, he feels guilt and remorse about that. Not anger.

And what? When is Tony "always stressed and always brooding"? The guy was relaxed and carefree at the beginning of IW. Hell, he's engaged and was even hinting at Pepper about starting a family. And no, having his nano-suit with him isn't being stressed and brooding. It's simply being prepared, considering he's a superhero.

Arachnid1
Post examples of current Tony getting genuinely angry over offhand comments about collateral damage please? Based on films like Civil War, he feels guilt and remorse about that. Not anger.

And what? When is Tony "always stressed and always brooding"? The guy was relaxed and carefree at the beginning of IW. Hell, he's engaged and was even hinting at Pepper about starting a family. And no, having his nano-suit with him isn't being stressed and brooding. It's simply being prepared, considering he's a superhero. You can see it in the way he talks. It's been a while so maybe you forgot about IM1 and 2. Compare almost any scene in Civil War to him in IM1/2. He's not the same character he was. Bear in mind that the subject matter in every single one of these scenes is serious, and actually almost the same. Look at how he handles each one.

qvwHppI95K0
X5ge0pd7hMQ
U_dGQFuukkY

In IM1 the reporter implies that he causes collateral harm and he quips his way through it. Every single comment is shrugged off and he wears nicknames like "The Merchant of Death" with pride. He quips his way around every question and comment she makes and doesn't lose an hour of sleep over the public's view of him or the problems his weapons cause. In that IM2 court hearing, he's pretty much the same character. He doesn't take anything seriously, least of all others implying that he's a threat to national security. He quips his way all through the hearing. The dude practically floats.

In the CW clip, you can see the guilt and stress he caries over everything he believes he caused. He no longer believes that he should be able to operate without restraint. He knows IM is a national threat and believes the government should now regulate his activity. It's a complete 180. It's been a gradual change, but an obvious one with him IMO. His character development has made him a more serious character. Everything has gravity to him now, and it shows (and rightfully so; he operates on a larger scale now). I don't see him laughing off the death of or threat to innocents anymore.

And do you really believe that Quill making a comment about Avengers/IM related deaths wouldn't get to Stark? I see Starks mood flipping like a switch after something like that. Hell, even Cap pissed him off in Avengers 1 just by telling him that he's pretending to be a hero, to the point where they almost exchanged blows. IM1/2 Stark would have laughed in his face. If Cap can piss him off in their first conversation, Quill can make him lose it.

TheVaultDweller
You can see it in the way he talks. It's been a while so maybe you forgot about IM1 and 2. Compare almost any scene in Civil War to him in IM1/2. He's not the same character he was. Bear in mind that the subject matter in every single one of these scenes is serious, and actually almost the same. Look at how he handles each one.

qvwHppI95K0
X5ge0pd7hMQ
U_dGQFuukkY

In IM1 the reporter implies that he causes collateral harm and he quips his way through it. Every single comment is shrugged off and he wears nicknames like "The Merchant of Death" with pride. He quips his way around every question and comment she makes and doesn't lose an hour of sleep over the public's view of him or the problems his weapons cause. In that IM2 court hearing, he's pretty much the same character. He doesn't take anything seriously, least of all others implying that he's a threat to national security. He quips his way all through the hearing. The dude practically floats.

In the CW clip, you can see the guilt and stress he caries over everything he believes he caused. He no longer believes that he should be able to operate without restraint. He knows IM is a national threat and believes the government should now regulate his activity. It's a complete 180. It's been a gradual change, but an obvious one with him IMO. His character development has made him a more serious character. Everything has gravity to him now, and it shows (and rightfully so; he operates on a larger scale now). I don't see him laughing off the death of or threat to innocents anymore.

And do you really believe that Quill making a comment about Avengers/IM related deaths wouldn't get to Stark? I see Starks mood flipping like a switch after something like that. Hell, even Cap pissed him off in Avengers 1 just by telling him that he's pretending to be a hero, to the point where they almost exchanged blows. IM1/2 Stark would have laughed in his face. If Cap can piss him off in their first conversation, Quill can make him lose it.

So, your argument is basically the fact that he has become more mature? Sorry, but that does not counter the fact that he very clearly was not brooding or stressed when we see him at the start of Infinity War, and was still making plenty of quips and wisecracks in the film. Him no longer joking about dead people shows growth as a person. The sheer fact that he's actually seemingly ready to settle down and start a proper family suggests that his stress levels are lower than points in the past.

And, on a side note, Cap was more pissed than Tony during that Avengers 1 exchange. He was the one who told Tony to "put on the suit", because he wanted to throw down.

Arachnid1
So, your argument is basically the fact that he has become more mature? Sorry, but that does not counter the fact that he very clearly was not brooding or stressed when we see him at the start of Infinity War, and was still making plenty of quips and wisecracks in the film. Him no longer joking about dead people shows growth as a person. The sheer fact that he's actually seemingly ready to settle down and start a proper family suggests that his stress levels are lower than points in the past.

And, on a side note, Cap was more pissed than Tony during that Avengers 1 exchange. He was the one who told Tony to "put on the suit", because he wanted to throw down. Well... yes. That's exactly my argument. Maturity doesn't help him in a quip battle. Prime Starks immaturity is a strength in a verbal exchange like that ones he had in those clips.

Idk what to tell you man. The way he quips just isn't the same. Sure he still does it, but it's not as drawn out as it was in prior movies. You could tell he never took anything seriously in prior films which lead to him quipping through entire scenes. He does take things much more seriously these days, and if you attack those things you'll get a negative reaction out of him. That applies to real life too. Make light of the things people take seriously and you'll get a negative reaction. That's all just more ammo for Quill for jokes that flat out wouldn't work against him in IM1/2. Show me a single clip of current IM that quips anything like the scenes I posted.

And yeah, Cap was more pissed, but he's Cap. He's as serious and mature as it gets, so he would be. That doesn't really help your argument here. Stark was still clearly pissed and he was definitely about to fight with Cap over a petty argument.

TheVaultDweller
Well... yes. That's exactly my argument. Maturity doesn't help him in a quip battle. Prime Starks immaturity is a strength in a verbal exchange like that ones he had in those clips.

Idk what to tell you man. The way he quips just isn't the same. Sure he still does it, but it's not as drawn out as it was in prior movies. You could tell he never took anything seriously in prior films which lead to him quipping through entire scenes. He does take things much more seriously these days, and if you attack those things you'll get a negative reaction out of him. That applies to real life too. Make light of the things people take seriously and you'll get a negative reaction. That's all just more ammo for Quill for jokes that flat out wouldn't work against him in IM1/2. Show me a single clip of current IM that quips anything like the scenes I posted.

Please tell me how I am supposed to post scenes from Infinity War right now? Because unless you have some secret bootleg source I am unaware of, there are no proper clips available of those kinds of exchanges yet.

And if we assume Quill knows about Stark, then Stark also knows about Quill. Which means he can bring things up like Gamora or Peter's mom or Yondu. And we know Peter doesn't react well to that.

And yeah, Cap was more pissed, but he's Cap. He's as serious and mature as it gets, so he would be. That doesn't really help your argument here. Stark was still clearly pissed and he was definitely about to fight with Cap over a petty argument.

I wasn't making an argument. The way you phrased it made it sound as though Cap said something and then Tony just wanted to fight, when it was the opposite way around. And you are ignoring a HUGE detail. That whole exchange took part when everyone was getting worked up by the Mind Stone's powers when it was still in Loki's scepter. Everyone was pissed, from Natasha to Thor to Banner to Fury. So, trying to write it off as Stark just being triggered by Rogers is wrong.

And here is the thing. I never once said who I think wins. I simply disagreed with the notion that Tony would be completely unable to get to Peter, or that Tony is always brooding and stressed nowadays. Because, as far as I am concerned, neither of those things are true, and you have yet to show me anything to convince me otherwise. Hell, IIRC, Star-Lord got irritated with Stark just for referring to the Guardians as "plucky".

TheVaultDweller
And not totally related, but couldn't resist:

4Ty1zVZQ8X4

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.