Middle Earth vs Modern Military

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

relentless1
Watching LOTR again got me to thinking how much better it'd be for them if they had cars or planes lol

Anyways it also got me thinking how all fighters in Middle Earth would do against lets say the US Military circa 2018, im of the opinion that our Earths tech would be more than enough for Middle Earths magic, what say all of you?

And if you all think its too much in the favour of modern military then replace that with military circa WW2.

Eon Blue
Modern military; in my mind it would be quality vs extreme and potent quantity.

FrothByte
Modern military would shred LOTR.

Raptor22
I feel like the Army of the Dead might present a few problems for the military.

Khazra Reborn
WW2 era military would shit on LOTR, never mind today.

Josh_Alexander
One Nuke to Rule Them All i say!!! Hell Yeah!!!!

Dr Will Hatch
Do the Riders of Rohan even have stirrups by that point?

Lulz, they get stomped.

Flyattractor
Heck. Even a Decent Ball and Musket and Cannon Style Army could take them out.

playa1258
This is not close.

Darkstorm Zero

This goes in Foreign Cinema I think.

And... I know I've seen this debate somewhere before....

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/how-would-major-game-of-thrones-players-react-to-an-invasion-by-the-united-states.642281/

SquallX
Military might to Military, yes. But Middle Earth is far more than that. Their magic would make this a stomp in their favors actually. Especially when you start heading into the direction of mind control.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Raptor22
I feel like the Army of the Dead might present a few problems for the military.

Just blow up Aragorn with a drone strike and they will probably bugger off on their own. Their only loyalty was to him IIRC.

FrothByte
Originally posted by SquallX
Military might to Military, yes. But Middle Earth is far more than that. Their magic would make this a stomp in their favors actually. Especially when you start heading into the direction of mind control.

What kind of mind control was shown in the movies?

SquallX
Originally posted by FrothByte
What kind of mind control was shown in the movies?

The Ring was the best one, with Sauromon controlling the King before he was freed by Gandalf the White.

KingD19
Soooo the Modern day military which has seen all 6 LotR/Hobbit films will...find the 9 Rings of Men, give them to their leaders and let them corrupt them until Sauron can take them over?

Raptor22
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Just blow up Aragorn with a drone strike and they will probably bugger off on their own. Their only loyalty was to him IIRC. Killing Aragorn would probably be the worst thing they could do. Iirc only someone from his bloodline could release them from their vow and let them move on to the afterlife. It would be akin to killing will turner before getting his blood in the first pirates movie IMO.

I don't think their loyalties would factor into a forum fight. I figure we would treat them like any other character where they're transported to the battle field and "forced" to fight for the side we place them on. Whether they're friend or foe, hero or villain, they still have to fight for their side to the best of their abilities.

Josh_Alexander
Killing Aragorn would probably be the worst thing they could do. Iirc only someone from his bloodline could release them from their vow and let them move on to the afterlife. It would be akin to killing will turner before getting his blood in the first pirates movie IMO.

I don't think their loyalties would factor into a forum fight. I figure we would treat them like any other character where they're transported to the battle field and "forced" to fight for the side we place them on. Whether they're friend or foe, hero or villain, they still have to fight for their side to the best of their abilities.

Aragorn gets MOABed!!!

Happy Dance

Thread done.

CPT Space Bomb
Not sure why this thread was made. I'll say this though, Modern Military would not fair anywhere near as well against Morgoth of the First Age. But since this is movie stuff then yes, Modern Military wins. Stupid ass spite thread tbh.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
Not sure why this thread was made. I'll say this though, Modern Military would not fair anywhere near as well against Morgoth of the First Age. But since this is movie stuff then yes, Modern Military wins. Stupid ass spite thread tbh.

Morgoth was a pussy. Better than Sauron but a pussy nevertheless.

CPT Space Bomb
Originally posted by Josh_Alexander
Morgoth was a pussy. Better than Sauron but a pussy nevertheless. You really are a moron.

Josh_Alexander
You really are a moron.

Seems you haven't read the Silmarillion...considering you haven't read marvel nor watched the movies..... Why doesn't it surprise me?

Raptor22
Aragorn gets MOABed!!!

Happy Dance

Thread done. How would that have any effect on the Army of the Dead?

CPT Space Bomb
Seems you haven't read the Silmarillion...considering you haven't read marvel nor watched the movies..... Why doesn't it surprise me?
1. I have read The Silmarillion several times. I'm probably (undoubtedly) a much bigger LoTR fan than you.

2. I have read many, MANY Marvel comics (again as you are a 10 year old child, I'm sure many more than you).

3. I haven't watched the movies? My god you're daft. Like, your arguments boil down to accusing people of being cock suckers. When that doesn't work you try to say they don't read or watch the subject matter. You are literally THE worst debater and poster here on KMC.....and it's not even close.

Now that we've established how useless your opinions are; answer me why is someone that required the entire host of Valar to take down a "pussy"?

Josh_Alexander
1. I have read The Silmarillion several times. I'm probably (undoubtedly) a much bigger LoTR fan than you.

2. I have read many, MANY Marvel comics (again as you are a 10 year old child, I'm sure many more than you).

3. I haven't watched the movies? My god you're daft. Like, your arguments boil down to accusing people of being cock suckers. When that doesn't work you try to say they don't read or watch the subject matter. You are literally THE worst debater and poster here on KMC.....and it's not even close.

Now that we've established how useless your opinions are; answer me why is someone that required the entire host of Valar to take down a "pussy"?

Then why are you so misinformed fellow!???

Morgoth was a pussy. He sat in Utumno and Angband hidding while the Orcs, Balrogs and Dragons did the dirty job for him.

Even against Ungoliath, the Balrogs saved his ass.

CPT Space Bomb
Then why are you so misinformed fellow!???

Morgoth was a pussy. He sat in Utumno and Angband hidding while the Orcs, Balrogs and Dragons did the dirty job for him.

Even against Ungoliath, the Balrogs saved his ass.

You're only real point of contention is that he was "Saved" by his Balrogs. Let's not forget that this wasn't until after Ungoliant had feasted on the Trees of Valinor and the power reserves from the wells of Varda and became huge and powerful. Ungoliant is very much like the Silmarillion's version of Tom Bombadil. She is an outlier, something that doesn't quite fit in and can't be quantified. She was incredibly powerful for sure, but she couldn't defeat him unless she feasted and caught him by surprise. Keep in mind it was HIS plan to allow her to feed anyway. Ungoliant would have wrecked damn near anyone of the Valar after eating as much power as she did.

As far as sitting in Angband while Orc and dragons did his work for him? OF COURSE. HE CREATED THEM. Don't be a fool. At full power Morgoth was the most powerful and feared of the Valar. He spent most of his power throughout the ages creating and corrupting the Creation of Eru and the other Valar. It took the entire celestial order to take him down. Morgoth was an absolute BEAST. His lowest feats are after he's spent a ton of his power (i.e. his battle with Fingolfin which he still easily won.)

Perhaps you should brush up on your Tolkien. You seem to know very little.

Josh_Alexander
You're only real point of contention is that he was "Saved" by his Balrogs. Let's not forget that this wasn't until after Ungoliant had feasted on the Trees of Valinor and the power reserves from the wells of Varda and became huge and powerful. Ungoliant is very much like the Silmarillion's version of Tom Bombadil. She is an outlier, something that doesn't quite fit in and can't be quantified. She was incredibly powerful for sure, but she couldn't defeat him unless she feasted and caught him by surprise. Keep in mind it was HIS plan to allow her to feed anyway. Ungoliant would have wrecked damn near anyone of the Valar after eating as much power as she did.

As far as sitting in Angband while Orc and dragons did his work for him? OF COURSE. HE CREATED THEM. Don't be a fool. At full power Morgoth was the most powerful and feared of the Valar. He spent most of his power throughout the ages creating and corrupting the Creation of Eru and the other Valar. It took the entire celestial order to take him down. Morgoth was an absolute BEAST. His lowest feats are after he's spent a ton of his power (i.e. his battle with Fingolfin which he still easily won.)

Perhaps you should brush up on your Tolkien. You seem to know very little.

The very same book says that Morgoth was afraid of the Valar. Reason why he did everything in secrecy and treachery.

He created armies because he was afraid of the Elves and Men. Even against Fingolfin he was afraid.

Melkor was always a coward. Dont mistake me, I like him a lot, but courage isnt something Morgoth is known for.

CPT Space Bomb
The very same book says that Morgoth was afraid of the Valar. Reason why he did everything in secrecy and treachery.

He created armies because he was afraid of the Elves and Men. Even against Fingolfin he was afraid.

Melkor was always a coward. Dont mistake me, I like him a lot, but courage isnt something Morgoth is known for. Being fearful of a bunch of fellow demigods and God himself is not something that makes one a pussy. Also, he wasn't afraid. He was the only Valar to know fear that's true, but it wasn't until he was much weaker that he experienced this. Also, again, he fought the ENTIRE celestial host. Actions speak louder than words. Morgoth's feats are many and his power was so great that the beings of Middle Earth alone could not hope to defeat him, unlike Sauron his apprentice.

Also, you clearly don't like or respect Morgoth when you call him a pussy. Morgoth may have lost in the long run, but he was FAR from a pussy.

Josh_Alexander
Being fearful of a bunch of fellow demigods and God himself is not something that makes one a pussy. Also, he wasn't afraid. He was the only Valar to know fear that's true, but it wasn't until he was much weaker that he experienced this. Also, again, he fought the ENTIRE celestial host. Actions speak louder than words. Morgoth's feats are many and his power was so great that the beings of Middle Earth alone could not hope to defeat him, unlike Sauron his apprentice.

Also, you clearly don't like or respect Morgoth when you call him a pussy. Morgoth may have lost in the long run, but he was FAR from a pussy.

Dude! Morgoth built Utumno as a hidding place from the Valar. Melkor never had the guts to fight the Valar openly. He destroyed the lamps of the world and the trees when these were unawared.

Furthermore, Morgoth would always shit his pants from the tought of meeting Tulkas.

Morgorth wasnt the fearless villain thats for sure. Cant compare him with Darth Vader or Joker or other high tier villains.

SquallX

Josh_Alexander

CPT Space Bomb
Dude! Morgoth built Utumno as a hidding place from the Valar. Melkor never had the guts to fight the Valar openly. He destroyed the lamps of the world and the trees when these were unawared.

Furthermore, Morgoth would always shit his pants from the tought of meeting Tulkas.

Morgorth wasnt the fearless villain thats for sure. Cant compare him with Darth Vader or Joker or other high tier villains.

1. Hmm, let's see. What was Morgoth supposed to do, take on the entire celestial host forever? He couldn't possibly hope to win in outright combat you fool. As powerful as he was he would never win due to Eru being impossible to defeat. You clearly know NOTHING of a villain and how they can "Win". Morgoth's plan was to corrupt and destroy everything beautiful that Eru and the Valar had made. He was pretty damn successful and even after he was defeated (temporarily) his apprentice damn near brought the entirety of Middle Earth to his subjugation.

2. You are actually worse than Quan by a longshot. Power in and of itself does not make a great villain. And even then Morgoth was the most powerful being to ever reside in Middle Earth and it's not even close.

3. Can't compare him to Darth Vader and Joker? Lol. Yah, because he's better. The only reason Morgoth isn't more widely known is because sadly people don't know how to read; or at the very least don't want to read a book like The Silmarillion. I get that it's a tough read but it's immensely enjoyable if you can get past some of the more "boring" parts.

Fact is Morgoth was not a "pussy" and just the fact you've claimed as much makes you one of the last people that should ever be taken seriously in LoTR circles.

Ikr. The guy is.....something else.

SquallX

FrothByte
Fellas, the LOTR books mean nothing in this forum. Stick to the movies please.

Josh_Alexander
1. Hmm, let's see. What was Morgoth supposed to do, take on the entire celestial host forever? He couldn't possibly hope to win in outright combat you fool. As powerful as he was he would never win due to Eru being impossible to defeat. You clearly know NOTHING of a villain and how they can "Win". Morgoth's plan was to corrupt and destroy everything beautiful that Eru and the Valar had made. He was pretty damn successful and even after he was defeated (temporarily) his apprentice damn near brought the entirety of Middle Earth to his subjugation.

2. You are actually worse than Quan by a longshot. Power in and of itself does not make a great villain. And even then Morgoth was the most powerful being to ever reside in Middle Earth and it's not even close.

3. Can't compare him to Darth Vader and Joker? Lol. Yah, because he's better. The only reason Morgoth isn't more widely known is because sadly people don't know how to read; or at the very least don't want to read a book like The Silmarillion. I get that it's a tough read but it's immensely enjoyable if you can get past some of the more "boring" parts.

Fact is Morgoth was not a "pussy" and just the fact you've claimed as much makes you one of the last people that should ever be taken seriously in LoTR circles.

Ikr. The guy is.....something else.

You are frustrated for being ignorant. Don't worry, i wont judge you.

The Silmarillion probably points 100x that Morgoth is afraid, the book makes ample reference of this...but ofcourse, what could i expect from an ignorant boy. The word fear is constantly being pulled out, the fact that you didn't read it is...well expected.

Now as Froth is mentioning before, this doesn't concern the thread.

Bye bye boy.

Josh_Alexander

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by FrothByte
Fellas, the LOTR books mean nothing in this forum. Stick to the movies please.

Got cought up in the intensity of the discussion. Going back to thread parameters.

ares834
Yes, Morgoth is a coward. That's a big part of the character. That doesn't change the fact that at full power he could easily destroy modern civilization.

As for this thread, we have no counter to the Army of the Dead. Everything else can be pretty easily dealt with though.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by ares834
Yes, Morgoth is a coward. That's a big part of the character. That doesn't change the fact that at full power he could easily destroy modern civilization.

As for this thread, we have no counter to the Army of the Dead. Everything else can be pretty easily dealt with though.

THANK YOU!!!!

At least someone else has read the Silmarillion!!! I was beginning to wonder if i read the right book!!!!

I never stated Melkor wasn't powerful. Damn Sauron is a baby to his comparison. And i know, it's stupid they depict him as a coward.

Josh_Alexander
How would that have any effect on the Army of the Dead?

That would be the only thing Middle Earth has to it's advantage.

I will go and research, cause my knowledge on the Army of the Dead isn't ample enough to debate an outcome.

CPT Space Bomb
THANK YOU!!!!

At least someone else has read the Silmarillion!!! I was beginning to wonder if i read the right book!!!!

I never stated Melkor wasn't powerful. Damn Sauron is a baby to his comparison. And i know, it's stupid they depict him as a coward. You are really a ****ing moron. The argument was not if he was a COWARD. You called him a Pussy. There is a MASSIVE difference. Also, he was NOT a coward. Just because you are afraid does not mean you're a coward. You are all conflating facts and it's honestly quite pathetic.

But I'm done even looking at waste of life Josh Alexandra's posts. He calls people cock suckers and then when he gets mad about losing debates he claims they haven't read source material. Toxic homophobes like him don't deserve to have their comments read.

SSJGGogeta
Even a single faction of the military would totally embarrass all of Middle Earth. Cave Trolls are their most powerful weapons, and the U.S. has sidearms that can blow their heads off in a single shot. Combine that with crowd control full-Auto armor piercing rifles, as well as heavily armored tanks with 40mm shells capable of tearing through and mulling over entire buildings, on a scale including millions of soldiers, weapons, etc?

That's not even taking aerial warfare into account. A single predator drone could probably take on all of Middle Earth, save for a dragon. Their are plenty of aircrafts that could take out a dragon, though.

The only hair in the soup is the undead army- to which the U.S. military would probably resort to trapping on a remote island or something, until they found a way to destroy them. Assuming the ghosts are made of a plasmatic substance, there are plenty of ways to destroy them with science.

Josh_Alexander
You are really a ****ing moron. The argument was not if he was a COWARD. You called him a Pussy. There is a MASSIVE difference. Also, he was NOT a coward. Just because you are afraid does not mean you're a coward. You are all conflating facts and it's honestly quite pathetic.

But I'm done even looking at waste of life Josh Alexandra's posts. He calls people cock suckers and then when he gets mad about losing debates he claims they haven't read source material. Toxic homophobes like him don't deserve to have their comments read.

Chill down man, or your blood pressure might go up!

Come back after reading the Silmarillion.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by SSJGGogeta

The only hair in the soup is the undead army- to which the U.S. military would probably resort to trapping on a remote island or something, until they found a way to destroy them. Assuming the ghosts are made of a plasmatic substance, there are plenty of ways to destroy them with science.

Interesting post.

cdtm
Even a single faction of the military would totally embarrass all of Middle Earth. Cave Trolls are their most powerful weapons, and the U.S. has sidearms that can blow their heads off in a single shot. Combine that with crowd control full-Auto armor piercing rifles, as well as heavily armored tanks with 40mm shells capable of tearing through and mulling over entire buildings, on a scale including millions of soldiers, weapons, etc?

That's not even taking aerial warfare into account. A single predator drone could probably take on all of Middle Earth, save for a dragon. Their are plenty of aircrafts that could take out a dragon, though.

Pretty much why all zombie apocalypse stories make no sense.

The World overwhelmed overnight. We've seen a single guy with a knife hold off dozens of them, yet the entire armed services in all the countries of the world couldn't cull them down enough to make them manageable?

CPT Space Bomb
Originally posted by cdtm
Pretty much why all zombie apocalypse stories make no sense.

The World overwhelmed overnight. We've seen a single guy with a knife hold off dozens of them, yet the entire armed services in all the countries of the world couldn't cull them down enough to make them manageable? Yah, it was my only real hangup with TWD back when I used to watch it. Of course I quit in like season 5...show got bad.

Raptor22

The only hair in the soup is the undead army- to which the U.S. military would probably resort to trapping on a remote island or something, until they found a way to destroy them. Assuming the ghosts are made of a plasmatic substance, there are plenty of ways to destroy them with science. I'm not sure how the military would be able to trap them on an island or in any other way. They passed thru solid objects in the movies as well as running over water.

Even with our technological superiority, we simply have no answer for an army of ghosts.

Josh_Alexander
I'm not sure how the military would be able to trap them on an island or in any other way. They passed thru solid objects in the movies as well as running over water.

Even with our technological superiority, we simply have no answer for an army of ghosts.

The Army of the Dead for years have created controversy among the LoTR readers and viewers.

Questions like: Can the Army of the Dead conquer Middle Earth? or Why didn't the Army of the dead defeated Mordor's army as well? Specially because in the movies they were depicted as an unstoppable horde quite different from the Books.

Now, if I don't remember wrongly, the Army of the Dead are cursed souls by Isildur. The Army of the Dead never cared for the problems of Middle Earth, nor were interesting in participating in the Wars of these.

The only reason they helped Aragorn is because he agreed to free them from the curse. Otherwise, the Army of the Dead wouldn't have cared for Sauron conquering the world.

I believe the Army of the Dead wouldn't care for this one neither. Even if Aragorn blackmails them, the moment Aragorn dies the Army of the Dead would have no one to release them, and therefore wouldn't bother to keep fighting.

Just like in LoTR, should Aragorn have gotten killed in Helm's Deep the Army of the Dead would have never helped Gondor.

Josh_Alexander
I'm not sure how the military would be able to trap them on an island or in any other way. They passed thru solid objects in the movies as well as running over water.

Conclusion: I believe the Army of the Dead would be willing to help so long Aragorn is alive.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.