Dune (2021)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech
Think he's been talking about this for a while, it's a passion project of his. It's a major win for sci-fi fans that such an amazing filmmaker wants to do it...

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2018/05/denis-villeneuve-confirms-that-his-dune-adaptation-will-be-two-films/

BruceSkywalker
will wait until cast announcements are made

ares834
Really looking forward to this. Dune is a phenomenal book and Villeneuve is a great director so I'm expecting big things.

Patient_Leech
I hold Villeneuve in extremely high esteem. I saw Prisoners recently and it is one of the best movies ive ever seen, it is probably in my top 10 best films ever. Sicario is excellent, and same with Arrival. BR 2049 is great too, just too slow and emotionally distant for my taste, but that was obviously intended to match the original film.

I seriously think he's kind of a new Kubrick. He's that good.

So yeah, the fact that he wants to do a major sci fi book is awesome.

Bashar Teg
hopefully this time it will survive to production

playa1258
Dune is one of the best books ever but it will be a big challenge to adapt it right.

Khazra Reborn
Originally posted by playa1258
Dune is one of the best books ever but it will be a big challenge to adapt it right.

This. Even David Lynch couldn't do it justice.

carthage

playa1258
I think he is doing two of the films at least and honestly Dune needs an R-rating.

quanchi112
Hope it does well. More sci, fantasy the better.

ares834
Dune needs an R-rating.

Why?

Flyattractor
Originally posted by ares834
Why?

Cause Boobs and Bloods put Butts in Buckets?

playa1258
The Bene Gesserit use sex as a tool for their goals and the warfare portrayed is brutal with a death toll well into the billions.

ares834
The Bene Gesserit use sex as a tool for their goals and the warfare portrayed is brutal with a death toll well into the billions.

All the sex scenes in Dune are pretty irrelevant, cutting them or cutting away during them wouldn't matter. As for the death toll, who cares? Plenty of films have just as big death tolls but aren't 'R'.

playa1258
The budget will probably be too big for an R rating anyway.

Bashar Teg

sexual imprinting isn't even relevant until heretics if dune.

Robtard
Can't wait, Villeneuve is very talented; really enjoyed what eh did with Blade Runner most recently. Ideally it'd be three films.

Bashar Teg
Dave Bautista confimed as Beast Rabban

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dave-bautista-joins-timoth-e-chalamet-denis-villeneuves-dune-1174273

Patient_Leech
^ Aw hell yeah!

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
Dave Bautista confimed as Beast Rabban

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dave-bautista-joins-timoth-e-chalamet-denis-villeneuves-dune-1174273

I don't remember what that character is. It's been so damn long since i read the book, but...

I hope it's not a character that gets killed in the first scene like Blade Runner 2049. That movie was a drag after that opening sequence. It needed more Bautista.

Flyattractor
That First Dune Movie falls into the Its So Bad its Good but only for Riff Parties and the SyFy TV Movies were just boring crap.

Bashar Teg
Javier Bardem has been cast as Stilgar

ares834
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/thats-good.gif

Bashar Teg
if he doesn't have a beard i'm walking out

a real beard, not some halfass "took the month off shaving" thor bullshit

Robtard
Javier Bardem has been cast as Stilgar

This is good

Patient_Leech
It's odd I'm not a big fan of Javier Bardem. I mean, I don't have anything against him, he's just yet to really impress me, I guess. But that's fine...

...as long as Villeneuve is behind the camera...

Bashar Teg
all he has to do is be stoic and formal. tbh i think stilgar carries the lightest acting burden imho, as far as the books go

Bashar Teg
Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto...?

Patient_Leech
^ Is that the latest news or are you hoping?

Putinbot1
The cast seems to be shaping up beautifully.

ares834
Oscar Isaac as Duke Leto...?

I like Isaac but I can't see him as Leto.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
^ Is that the latest news or are you hoping?

He's in talks, not sure if the deal is done

I like Isaac but I can't see him as Leto.

same. maybe duncan idaho but not leto

Bashar Teg
reverend mother gaius mohiam:

https://i.imgur.com/dN8Nt9pl.jpg

Robtard
She was good in Dexter and Broadchurch. Know I've seen her here/there in some films as well. Works.

BrolyBlack
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Think he's been talking about this for a while, it's a passion project of his. It's a major win for sci-fi fans that such an amazing filmmaker wants to do it...

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2018/05/denis-villeneuve-confirms-that-his-dune-adaptation-will-be-two-films/

Epic

Patient_Leech
So I've been seeing that Jason Mamoa has been cast. That's cool.

Bashar Teg
https://i.imgur.com/PEq3nmo.jpg

enemies become friends. stilgar and gurney halleck

Bashar Teg
Apparently Jason Momoa will play Duncan Idaho.

Robtard
Brolin as a Gurney is another solid casting. This is shaping up very nicely.

Momoa, I'm very cautious but will remain optimistic.

Bashar Teg
i'm trying to be optimistic, but i dunno. not because of momoa. duncan idaho has only a small part in book one. i just feel like most of the cast was chosen poorly.

Robtard
i'm trying to be optimistic, but i dunno. not because of momoa. duncan idaho has only a small part in book one. i just feel like most of the cast was chosen poorly. Who are your biggest casting gripes with?

Bashar Teg
most of them.

Robtard
most of them.

Alright, top three?

Robtard
Josh Brolin showing off the Dune set.

Kazenji
A bunch of photo's were released for this movie

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/04/behold-dune-an-exclusive-look-at-timothee-chalamet-zendaya-oscar-isaac

riv6672

Patient_Leech
Looking forward to this.

The pictures look very raw. I maintain trust in DV, though, because he's a stellar filmmaker. I trust that with finished effects and everything it will be great.

Kazenji
Oscar Isaac looks like Deathstroke, Just needs the eyepatch.

Bashar Teg
Are we finally going to see Duncan Idaho go h.a.m. on screen?

Jason Mamoa could be booked until 2035 if this is successful enough to warrant sequels

ares834
Originally posted by Kazenji
A bunch of photo's were released for this movie

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/04/behold-dune-an-exclusive-look-at-timothee-chalamet-zendaya-oscar-isaac

Nice. The outfits strike a nice balance between sci fi and fantasy.

quanchi112
Never been into this but I will see it with an open mind. I love fantasy and sci if so I hope it works out.

Bashar Teg
george lucas will never admit it, but he owes his success to dune every bit as much as he does to flash gordon

Old Man Whirly!
This is going to be a car crash, sadly.

Dune is to star wars, as comparable in my opinion as the Sun to a sun lamp. Dune is that many magnitudes greater.

playa1258
This film will shit all over Disney Star Wars.

Kazenji
george lucas will never admit it, but he owes his success to dune every bit as much as he does to flash gordon

And also Valerian, Not the recent adaptation of it.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
This is going to be a car crash, sadly.

Dune is to star wars, as comparable in my opinion as the Sun to a sun lamp. Dune is that many magnitudes greater.

i'm just talking about the general mythos.

Originally posted by Kazenji
And also Valerian, Not the recent adaptation of it.

i still haven't checked that out, maybe that will be my next audiobook

ares834
Well that would be an interesting trick since Valerian is a comic series.

Bashar Teg
on second thought...

quanchi112
This film will shit all over Disney Star Wars. Wanna bet? TLJ is awesome.

playa1258
Let's do it. If Dune does not deliver I will be on team Disney.

quanchi112
Let's do it. If Dune does not deliver I will be on team Disney. You do realize it probably will not even smell a billion dollars at best case scenario. Disney Star Wars averages out 1 billion per film. Or are you arguing out of preference?

Artol
I enjoyed Arrival, I hope this will be good as well.

playa1258
Originally posted by quanchi112
You do realize it probably will not even smell a billion dollars at best case scenario. Disney Star Wars averages out 1 billion per film. Or are you arguing out of preference?

Preference and quality.

quanchi112
Preference and quality. It will not touch TLJ or the best of star wars Disney. Sorry.

Artol
I liked the Last Jedi a lot as well.

Quincy
This guy is the best director working today so this should be worth a ticket

BruceSkywalker
im waiting for the trailer to start judging

Arachnid1
Cant fkn wait for this. I have full faith in this director to put out a fantastic film. I'm even reading the novel to prepare right now (damn good book, but not blown away just yet).

quanchi112
Originally posted by Artol
I liked the Last Jedi a lot as well. It was so much deeper than typical films. The fans could not handle it. It was fantastic.

Robtard
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Cant fkn wait for this. I have full faith in this director to put out a fantastic film. I'm even reading the novel to prepare right now (damn good book, but not blown away just yet).

Same, can't wait for this. My only fear is that I'm building it up so much, it disappoints due to that.

I really enjoyed the book. Been thinking about reading it again before this comes out.

playa1258
Denis is one of the best directors working today and the cast is great. In addition with Disney Star Wars being massively divisive Dune could be in position to exploit that.

quanchi112
Denis is one of the best directors working today and the cast is great. In addition with Disney Star Wars being massively divisive Dune could be in position to exploit that. What movie of his do you think is the best?

playa1258
Arrival
Sicario
Blade Runner 2049

In that order.

quanchi112
Arrival
Sicario
Blade Runner 2049

In that order. Not a great film of the bunch. It was as I thought. Boring, longer films. He has a style but the guy is just not what I prefer.

Robtard
I've only seen four of his films, Prisoners, Sicario, Arrival and Blade Runner 2049. All good to excellent.

quanchi112
Ok, I heard they developed a series for hbo mad around this. I hope it succeeds so it can be the big three of sci fi and fantasy along with Star Wars and Star Trek. More fantasy the better.

Robtard
Yeah, Dunemessedisterhood, which Villeneuve will be directing the pilot. Still believe it's set to aire in 2021.

Old Man Whirly!
Cant fkn wait for this. I have full faith in this director to put out a fantastic film. I'm even reading the novel to prepare right now (damn good book, but not blown away just yet). Amazing book

quanchi112
Originally posted by Robtard
Yeah, Dunemessedisterhood, which Villeneuve will be directing the pilot. Still believe it's set to aire in 2021. Yes, not that familiar with the original film so I will go in pretty much forgetting anything I did see. All I remember was it was weird and bad but I bet the source material was good so hoping this could be something I will enjoy.

Patient_Leech
I've only seen four of his films, Prisoners, Sicario, Arrival and Blade Runner 2049. All good to excellent.

Those are the ones I've seen, too, and I agree. I've been meaning to see Enemy also.

playa1258
Hopefully this film can make it's release date. Everything is up in the air right now.

StiltmanFTW
Hopefully this film can make it's release date. Everything is up in the air right now.

What is its release date?

Mid-November?

Eon Blue
Looking forward to this film. The more sci-fi the better at this point. Hopefully this title delivers.

playa1258
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
What is its release date?

Mid-November? December 18th.

Old Man Whirly!
This is good I always saw the Fremen as lean as anything arabs.

Robtard
I always saw the Fremen as lean as anything arabs.

That's fair enough with their spartan-like lifestyle.

But Bardem is a good actor; I'm willing to overlook if he's too chubby for Stilgar's 'thin man' description if he brings a solid performance.

Besides, everyone knows the stillsuit adds 20 pounds stick out tongue

Old Man Whirly!
That's fair enough with their spartan-like lifestyle.

But Bardem is a good actor; I'm willing to overlook if he's too chubby for Stilgar's 'thin man' description if he brings a solid performance.

Besides, everyone knows the stillsuit adds 20 pounds stick out tongue I have my worries about the look too. In fact, I have my worries. But, I hope.

playa1258
Paul vs Khan coming up.

Bashar Teg
jfc give us the trailer already. they'd better give us a peep at a sandworm

playa1258
Trailer probably will be attached to WW84 or Tenet.

Bashar Teg
nice avatar thumb up

I think I'll make a dune sig

quanchi112
Hope this scratches my fantasy sci fi itch.

Mindset
Hope this scratches my fantasy sci fi itch. It will, buddy.

Believe.

StiltmanFTW
Quan and Mindset.

Almost feels like Classic KMC http://images.killermovies.com/forums/icons/v2/icon12.gif

Bashar Teg
Hope this scratches my fantasy sci fi itch.

it all depends on what you're looking for, quan. it's quite possible dune won't suit your pallet. It really pushes the boundaries of weirdness. I highly recommend checking out the novel. the newest audiobook is also very well done

carthage
i ****ing hope they don't change the release date for this
I want to go see this with my uncle

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by carthage
i ****ing hope they don't change the release date for this
I want to go see this with my uncle

all of the november and december movies should be safe

quanchi112
it all depends on what you're looking for, quan. it's quite possible dune won't suit your pallet. It really pushes the boundaries of weirdness. I highly recommend checking out the novel. the newest audiobook is also very well done I vaguely remember the original and I can deal with weird but it does depend. I will not familiarize myself with the story now I want to be surprised since I barely remember even the plot. Even if I do not like it I want it to succeed because this green light other fantasy projects fir ither companies as they will see it as less of a risk with a high budgeted fantasy film outside the typical established brands.

Robtard
This one is supposed to follow the book a lot closer. While Lynch took several liberties in his film.

quanchi112
I hope nothing else happens between now and December to cause them to delay this too. Clamoring for new fantasy.

BruceSkywalker
at some point i will read the book.. never really cared for the original version so hopefully this is leaps and bounds better

Mindset
Watch the miniseries

quanchi112
Originally posted by Mindset
Watch the miniseries Do you think Thanos snap killed half of the dune universe? I sure do.

playa1258
Paul used prescience to annihilate Thanos with planet killing atomics.

BruceSkywalker
Watch the miniseries

i will

quanchi112
Paul used prescience to annihilate Thanos with planet killing atomics. Thanos won. It was his destiny. No greater or bigger villain in the history of fiction.

playa1258
First Trailer tomorrow:https://twitter.com/dunemovie/status/1303362649057406976?s=21

Arachnid1
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
at some point i will read the book.. never really cared for the original version so hopefully this is leaps and bounds better I just finished reading the book in preparation for this movie a few weeks ago. I understand why so many people consider it the greatest science fiction novel of all time and that its influence is off the charts, but IMO it hasn't aged well at all. It has some great characters and world building, but it also has one of the most anticlimactic endings I've ever read. I spent the entire book waiting for it to pick up, but it never really did. I also really despise 'OP chosen one' stories, and this is the quintessential 'OP chosen one' story.

I'm still hyped for this movie just because the director is GOAT though.

Paul used prescience to annihilate Thanos with planet killing atomics. Holy shit

Did he get even more OP in the following books? He has atomics now? As if prescience wasn't enough.

ares834
Criticizing Dune? Not on my watch.

I just finished reading the book in preparation for this movie a few weeks ago. I understand why so many people consider it the greatest science fiction novel of all time and that its influence is off the charts, but IMO it hasn't aged well at all.

Completely disagree. It's doesn't feel dated at all.

It has some great characters and world building, but it also has one of the most anticlimactic endings I've ever read. I spent the entire book waiting for it to pick up, but it never really did.

The ending was epic as ****. Sure, if you're expecting an epic war and a ton of action you may be disappointed, but that's not what the book is about. It's primarily about this very unique, well developed and evocative universe; certainly not a book for everyone.

I also really despise 'OP chosen one' stories, and this is the quintessential 'OP chosen one' story.

It's the exact opposite of a chosen one story though. It's deconstruction of the trope. Millennia ago, the Bene Gesserit seeded various populations with myths and prophecies for their own purposes. Paul and Jessica would then use these to their own advantage to manipulate the Freman and make them believe that Paul was some messianic figure.

As for the the Kwisatz Haderach, that's not a chosen one either. Rather it's the product and culmination of the Bene Gesserit's millennia long breeding program.

playa1258
Each House of the Landsraad has its own stockpile of atomics. Emperor Paul has access to the lions share of those weapons.

As for your second question yes and no. Paul does get more powerful but he gives up on being the chosen one . Leaving his son Leto to carrie the burden instead.

Mindset
After seeing the trailer...meh

Not really feeling Chalamet for the role

I just finished reading the book in preparation for this movie a few weeks ago. I understand why so many people consider it the greatest science fiction novel of all time and that its influence is off the charts, but IMO it hasn't aged well at all. It has some great characters and world building, but it also has one of the most anticlimactic endings I've ever read. I spent the entire book waiting for it to pick up, but it never really did. I also really despise 'OP chosen one' stories, and this is the quintessential 'OP chosen one' story.

I'm still hyped for this movie just because the director is GOAT though.

Holy shit

Did he get even more OP in the following books? He has atomics now? As if prescience wasn't enough. If anything, his son would be the chosen one, not him.

-Pr-
I liked the sheer scale in the trailer, and what I would consider call-backs to the old movie, but something just feels... off. I dunno.

ares834
n9xhJrPXop4

Love the designs for everything.

Robtard
Can't wait

Mindset
Originally posted by -Pr-
I liked the sheer scale in the trailer, and what I would consider call-backs to the old movie, but something just feels... off. I dunno. Chalamet.

Old Man Whirly!
Gom Jabbar

-Pr-
Chalamet.

Him too, but something else.

Arachnid1
Criticizing Dune? Not on my watch.

Completely disagree. It's doesn't feel dated at all.

The ending was epic as ****. Sure, if you're expecting an epic war and a ton of action you may be disappointed, but that's not what the book is about. It's primarily about this very unique, well developed and evocative universe; certainly not a book for everyone.

It's the exact opposite of a chosen one story though. It's deconstruction of the trope. Millennia ago, the Bene Gesserit seeded various populations with myths and prophecies for their own purposes. Paul and Jessica would then use these to their own advantage to manipulate the Freman and make them believe that Paul was some messianic figure.

As for the the Kwisatz Haderach, that's not a chosen one either. Rather it's the product and culmination of the Bene Gesserit's millennia long breeding program. Does it matter if the chosen one is created by chance or by countless generations of specific breeding? He's still has the insane prescience abilities exactly outlined out by the Bene Gesserit (abilities inherent only to the one male that unlocks their prescience abilities as predicted), and he still has access to both male and female genetic memory as the Kwisatz Haderach. He's still leading the fremen to paradise in their jihad/holy war, and he's an still offworlder exactly as they predicted. He's still the only one capable of resolving the plot, and he fits almost every prophecy outlined (the ONE place he didn't was him outright rejecting the Bene Gesserit and refusing to be their tool; he still fit the fremen prophecy just fine though). Does it matter if the force that made him is more scientific than fantastical? It's no less a turn off either way.

I'm not an 'action scene' kind of guy when it comes to books (I actually really hate reading long and drawn out fights of people swinging their swords; the First Law series is commonly praised for its fight scenes and I glazed over every one). That wasn't the problem. The problem was the lack of emotional pay off at the end (and through the entire book, really). Paul didn't struggle at all throughout the entire book. There wasn't a single moment where he was unsure or in over his head (other than one which was wasted; I'll outline this below). Even his fight at the end with Feyd never had me doubting that Paul had the upper hand, and Feyd was the product of a generations old breeding program too (not to mention a seasoned and super trained fighter). It was the most blue balled ending I've ever read in a book.

The most interesting villain in the entire book who killed Paul's father and was the ruin of his family (Vladmir Harkonnen; dude was a child rapist too, a proper dickhead) gets killed by Pauls (also OP) child sister whom we have no real attachment or relationship to. Paul never even meets him! He died completely anticlimactically from poison and off screen! Then, Paul completely wrecks and overtakes the Emperors forces and claims the Emperor's daughter as his wife to place himself as future emperor with almost NO struggle (after all the hype around the Emperor, his trained super soldiers, and overwhelming forces). The only loss Paul takes in the final battle is his son, who we were just barely introduced to, and who dies off screen (legit can't even remember the kids name).

The coolest concept in the book is the giant sand worms, and Paul has NO trouble taming a gargantuan one during his fremen rite test. This could have been one of the most epic parts of the book, and Paul just nails it without problem after all that build up and dread.

Towards the end, we Paul meets the one person on the side of the Emperor/Harkonens who for some reason is completely hidden from his prescience. Count Fenring is someone he finally can't predict, and this guy has been built up all book. Fenring is on the opposing side, and concedes that it probably wouldn't be much of a struggle to kill Paul if he wanted. Then, he decides to side with Paul over the Emperor? The ONE person all book who could pose a threat and he just switches sides? Wtf?

Paul himself had no character development all book. He was perfect from the beginning and ended somehow even more perfect. He was the ideal fighter, the ideal leader, the ideal heir, the ideal husband, (etc...). The dude passed up his Bene Gesserit mother (the second most capable person in the book after him), with all her training and knowledge, before the timeskip even took place and not too long chronologically after the start of the book with little to no struggle.

Sure, you could say the ending is "epic" with Paul just massacring the opposition riding on sandworms with his army of fremen just because of the scale of it, but that doesn't make it engaging. There was no emotional pay off. There was no struggle. It was too clean. He just won, like he did all book, and it was a VERY quick, decisive, and overwhelming win.

There wasn't even any pay off Lady Jessica (the best character in the entire book followed by Duke Leto, Vladimir and Duncan; she was powerful but still struggled and made mistakes here and there which is IMO more engaging than anything Paul went through) being Vladimir's daughter. Her being a Harkonen should have caused some drama after how much it as brought up, but she never even met Vlad before he died. I admit there was some emotion from her side, what with the loss of Leto, the "abominable" product that is her daughter, and her estrangement from Paul, and that was great, but there wasn't much besides that.

Maybe it's a rose tinted glasses thing with you, but the book isn't as perfect as you make it out to be. Idk, maybe I'm missing something. I don't have the decades of retrospection and fan analysis you might. I haven't read any in-depth deconstructions or anything. This is just from the perspective of a new reader in 2020. It didn't hold up, and I went in with some fantastic expectations.

After seeing the trailer...meh

Not really feeling Chalamet for the role

If anything, his son would be the chosen one, not him. Really? Chalamet is almost exactly what I pictured while reading. What doesn't make him fit?

And I'll take your word for it. I haven't read any following books and the only son he has in the first one is died

playa1258
Amazing trailer.

RIP Disney Star Wars

Mindset
Does it matter if the chosen one is created by chance or by countless generations of specific breeding? He's still has the insane prescience abilities exactly outlined out by the Bene Gesserit (abilities inherent only to the one male that unlocks their prescience abilities as predicted), and he still has access to both male and female genetic memory as the Kwisatz Haderach. He's still leading the fremen to paradise in their jihad/holy war, and he's an still offworlder exactly as they predicted. He's still the only one capable of resolving the plot, and he fits almost every prophecy outlined (the ONE place he didn't was him outright rejecting the Bene Gesserit and refusing to be their tool; he still fit the fremen prophecy just fine though). Does it matter if the force that made him is more scientific than fantastical? It's no less a turn off either way.

I'm not an 'action scene' kind of guy when it comes to books (I actually really hate reading long and drawn out fights of people swinging their swords; the First Law series is commonly praised for its fight scenes and I glazed over every one). That wasn't the problem. The problem was the lack of emotional pay off at the end (and through the entire book, really). Paul didn't struggle at all throughout the entire book. There wasn't a single moment where he was unsure or in over his head (other than one which was wasted; I'll outline this below). Even his fight at the end with Feyd never had me doubting that Paul had the upper hand, and Feyd was the product of a generations old breeding program too (not to mention a seasoned and super trained fighter). It was the most blue balled ending I've ever read in a book.

The most interesting villain in the entire book who killed Paul's father and was the ruin of his family (Vladmir Harkonnen; dude was a child rapist too, a proper dickhead) gets killed by Pauls (also OP) child sister whom we have no real attachment or relationship to. Paul never even meets him! He died completely anticlimactically from poison and off screen! Then, Paul completely wrecks and overtakes the Emperors forces and claims the Emperor's daughter as his wife to place himself as future emperor with almost NO struggle (after all the hype around the Emperor, his trained super soldiers, and overwhelming forces). The only loss Paul takes in the final battle is his son, who we were just barely introduced to, and who dies off screen (legit can't even remember the kids name).

The coolest concept in the book is the giant sand worms, and Paul has NO trouble taming a gargantuan one during his fremen rite test. This could have been one of the most epic parts of the book, and Paul just nails it without problem after all that build up and dread.

Towards the end, we Paul meets the one person on the side of the Emperor/Harkonens who for some reason is completely hidden from his prescience. Count Fenring is someone he finally can't predict, and this guy has been built up all book. Fenring is on the opposing side, and concedes that it probably wouldn't be much of a struggle to kill Paul if he wanted. Then, he decides to side with Paul over the Emperor? The ONE person all book who could pose a threat and he just switches sides? Wtf?

Paul himself had no character development all book. He was perfect from the beginning and ended somehow even more perfect. He was the ideal fighter, the ideal leader, the ideal heir, the ideal husband, (etc...). The dude passed up his Bene Gesserit mother (the second most capable person in the book after him), with all her training and knowledge, before the timeskip even took place and not too long chronologically after the start of the book with little to no struggle.

Sure, you could say the ending is "epic" with Paul just massacring the opposition riding on sandworms with his army of fremen just because of the scale of it, but that doesn't make it engaging. There was no emotional pay off. There was no struggle. It was too clean. He just won, like he did all book, and it was a VERY quick, decisive, and overwhelming win.

There wasn't even any pay off Lady Jessica (the best character in the entire book followed by Duke Leto, Vladimir and Duncan; she was powerful but still struggled and made mistakes here and there which is IMO more engaging than anything Paul went through) being Vladimir's daughter. Her being a Harkonen should have caused some drama after how much it as brought up, but she never even met Vlad before he died. I admit there was some emotion from her side, what with the loss of Leto, the "abominable" product that is her daughter, and her estrangement from Paul, and that was great, but there wasn't much besides that.

Maybe it's a rose tinted glasses thing with you, but the book isn't as perfect as you make it out to be. Idk, maybe I'm missing something. I don't have the decades of retrospection and fan analysis you might. I haven't read any in-depth deconstructions or anything. This is just from the perspective of a new reader in 2020. It didn't hold up, and I went in with some fantastic expectations.

Really? Chalamet is almost exactly what I pictured while reading. What doesn't make him fit?

And I'll take your word for it. I haven't read any following books and the only son he has in the first one is died His dead, listless, expression.

Wiki his son.

Leto II >>> Paul

ares834
Does it matter if the chosen one is created by chance or by countless generations of specific breeding? He's still has the insane prescience abilities exactly outlined out by the Bene Gesserit (abilities inherent only to the one male that unlocks their prescience abilities as predicted), and he still has access to both male and female genetic memory as the Kwisatz Haderach. He's still leading the fremen to paradise in their jihad/holy war, and he's an still offworlder exactly as they predicted. He's still the only one capable of resolving the plot, and he fits almost every prophecy outlined (the ONE place he didn't was him outright rejecting the Bene Gesserit and refusing to be their tool; he still fit the fremen prophecy just fine though). Does it matter if the force that made him is more scientific than fantastical? It's no less a turn off either way.

You seem to be mixing the Kwisatz Haderach and the Freman's prophet. They are two separate "prophecies" that Paul happens, or at least people believe him, to be. And I would say that it matters. The BG has a purpose for the KH and it's one that Paul, arguably, does not fulfill.

As for the Fremen messiah, the Mahdi, it's not a real prophecy. And Paul certainly is not their Mahdi even if it was, if anything his actions ultimately start them down the road to destruction.

That's why I loved it.

Maybe it's a rose tinted glasses thing with you, but the book isn't as perfect as you make it out to be.

Definitely not. I read the book for the first time only a few years ago. And I've never called it perfect. Taste is ultimately subjective and, like I stated earlier, it's not a book for everyone.

Arachnid1
You seem to be mixing the Kwisatz Haderach and the Freman's prophet. They are two separate "prophecies" that Paul happens, or at least people believe him, to be. And I would say that it matters. The BG has a purpose for the KH and it's one that Paul, arguably, does not fulfill.

As for the Fremen messiah, the Mahdi, it's not a real prophecy. And Paul certainly is not their Mahdi even if it was, if anything his actions ultimately start them down the road to destruction.

That's why I loved it.

Definitely not. I read the book for the first time only a few years ago. And I've never called it perfect. Taste is ultimately subjective and, like I stated earlier, it's not a book for everyone. I'm not mixing them (I'm referring to the BG prophecy being the one he rejected since he ultimately decided not to be a tool of the Sisterhood despite fitting everything else right up until that). As for him being the Mahdi, I'd consider it a prophecy. The concept and word is taken from real world Islam, though it's adjusted in the book Fremen religion to herald to a leader that will guide the Fremen to paradise via their hyped up holy war. He's even outlined to be an offworlder who's the offspring of a Bene Gesserit. I could take your word for it just leading them to ruin in the following books since I haven't read those yet (not sure I will since a lot of fans seem to think they only get worse), but so far they are definitely on the upswing. He fit that prophecy in every way in the first book at least, which I wasn't a fan of. It's good that that changes in the following books.

But yeah, we could agree to disagree on it. It's not my intention to trash something you're into in a thread dedicate to its movie. I really liked a lot if it. There was just a lot that didn't stick with me. I'm hoping Villeneuve will give me some new perspective on the story that will help me better appreciate what the author was going for.

His dead, listless, expression.

Wiki his son.

Leto II >>> Paul Will do. Hopefully his son takes over as the main character in future entries.

Anyway, I'm reading that this movie is actually just the first half of the first book. I wonder where it will end. I don't remember any climax worthy event halfway through the book.

BruceSkywalker
n9xhJrPXop4

Love the designs for everything.

looks pretty good

ares834
As for him being the Mahdi, I'd consider it a prophecy. The concept and word is taken from real world Islam, though it's adjusted in the book Fremen religion to herald to a leader that will guide the Fremen to paradise via their hyped up holy war. He's even outlined to be an offworlder who's the offspring of a Bene Gesserit.

But it's not a prophecy. Sure, Herbert heavily based it on Islam, but in the story it was crafted millennia ago by the BG. They created it in such a way that they could easily use it to manipulate the Fremen by appearing to accomplish the various signs of the prophecy. Which is exactly what Paul and Jessica did. It's all fake and is nothing more than a tool for manipulation.

Arachnid1
But it's not a prophecy. Sure, Herbert heavily based it on Islam, but in the story it was crafted millennia ago by the BG. They created it in such a way that they could easily use it to manipulate the Fremen by appearing to accomplish the various signs of the prophecy. Which is exactly what Paul and Jessica did. It's all fake and is nothing more than a tool for manipulation. Oh, I get what you're saying. For some reason, I didn't catch the origin of that fake little prophecy in the book. That explains how the Fremen even know what the BG are (which was bugging me). That's a little more interesting I guess.

I don't want to sound like I'm just being difficult, but it doesn't really change what makes the "chosen one" narrative so annoying to me (which I might be doing a shit job of explaining). That's what I was trying to get in my first post with the "does the origins of the chosen one really matter?" question (same reasoning, though in that case I was relating it more to the BG prophecy of his abilities than the Fremen messiah role). Fake or not, he's still heralded/prophesied by an entire culture. He still conforms to all the little annoying tropes of being the chosen one, even if it's ultimately under false pretenses. He's still the most powerful and talented person in the universe (as far as I know in the first book, anyways), and he's still fulfilling that (fake) messiah role. What makes the chosen one narrative so boring to me is how you ultimately know he's going to succeed regardless (and the fact that he did so effortlessly is salt in the wound). He's just destined to succeed. It's a little better knowing he only really fit the role because of prescience ability (which is a different force than destiny, but the same end result), but even that ability is problematic for the same reason chosen one narratives are. I see what you mean about it being a deconstruction of the trope since he fits only because of the prescience, but the fact that he fits at all is the problem (as opposed to the nature of the prophecy).

roughrider
So Denis Villeneuve really did split the first book into two parts, but isn't filming the second one until this one is out and reaction is gathered?

I know Warners managed this strategy to success (mostly) with Stephen King's IT, but I think they were lucky to get away with it the first time. Knowing this story, I wonder if there is a good enough center point to end it, where the new audience will come back for part 2.

dynamix
First Trailer tomorrow:https://twitter.com/dunemovie/status/1303362649057406976?s=21

ohhh that looks awesome!

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by roughrider
So Denis Villeneuve really did split the first book into two parts, but isn't filming the second one until this one is out and reaction is gathered?

I know Warners managed this strategy to success (mostly) with Stephen King's IT, but I think they were lucky to get away with it the first time. Knowing this story, I wonder if there is a good enough center point to end it, where the new audience will come back for part 2. Agree 100%, my guess is when he tells Stilgar he is Mauddib... maybe.

Patient_Leech
I'm pretty psyched for this after seeing the trailer. Decided to read the book again, cause shit, it's been 15-20 years since I read it...

Mindset

I know Warners managed this strategy to success (mostly) with Stephen King's IT, but I think they were lucky to get away with it the first time. Knowing this story, I wonder if there is a good enough center point to end it, where the new audience will come back for part 2. No, there isn't.

I mean maybe if the second movie were coming out like a month later.

roughrider
No, there isn't.

I mean maybe if the second movie were coming out like a month later.

Yes, like the LOTR films, where you know the next movie was filmed and will come out a year later.

I remember when IT came out and I got word that the movie was only about the kids, that another film would be made later, so that prepped me. If anyone in the audience was disappointed, it didn't add up to much as the film was a box office smash. Still, it was only at the end of the movie when the title IT: Chapter One came up. LOTR didn't do that, putting the subtitle for the movie right up front so people wouldn't be surprised.

Maybe the second Dune film will get titled Dune Messiah, after the second book and include some elements of that story.

playa1258
This film will probably end with Pauls fight with Jamis and accepting into the Fremen.

Patient_Leech
Yes, like the LOTR films, where you know the next movie was filmed and will come out a year later.

Hm.. that could be bad for business if people aren't aware that there's much more to the story. But I think it's kind of assumed these days that there's supposed to be sequels.

I just hope the Star Wars losers show up to this in large numbers, despite there not being any fu#king light sabers. I also fear that some Star Wars fatigue might hurt this film a little bit, too. But it was of course Star Wars that owes a lot to Dune.

roughrider
There were people complaining about John Carter being nothing but desert. Dune is going to be like that, too. It won't have the swashbuckling appeal that Star Wars had; I doubt we will even see other House systems in the movie, or even go there other than House Harkonnen.

Robtard
I really hope they go at least a bit into the Landsraad and the politics of the other great houses. Even if it's just a scene with the Landsraad council having no problem with the Emperor targeting House Atreides for annihilation.

LordofBrooklyn
Why didn't they ever attempt an animated version of DUNE?

Bashar Teg
loved the addition of pink floyd in the trailer. obvious message to the extreme nerd base (myself). it is indeed finally happening... presumably

Bashar Teg
Agree 100%, my guess is when he tells Stilgar he is Mauddib... maybe.

I think it will end shortly after Jessica takes the water of life. there's an important couple of loose ends in that scene to set up for part 2

Old Man Whirly!
I think it will end shortly after Jessica takes the water of life. there's an important couple of loose ends in that scene to set up for part 2 Quite possibly actually, I'd forgotten that.

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by LordofBrooklyn
Why didn't they ever attempt an animated version of DUNE? Actually a really good point, it lends itself to it. Lord of the Rings animated was a million times better than Jackson's I just wish it had had sequels to finish the story.

Patient_Leech
loved the addition of pink floyd in the trailer. obvious message to the extreme nerd base (myself). it is indeed finally happening... presumably

Yeah, the trailer is so ****ing good.

I'm still reading the book again and really enjoying it. God I can't wait to see Denis V's adaptation.

Robtard
My Dune boner throbs and grows with every passing day.

Bashar Teg
i think it's possible that rabban dies early. if not, he barely escapes

i don't think that this film can't simply end with an hour+ of non-climax screentime. you can certainly get away with that in a drama (irishman, amirite?), and in the concluding act you can drag the post-climax out for infinity if you want (return of the king, amirite?), but you can't get away with that in act one of an action scifi. there is a substantial series of events from the time of duke leto's assassination, up until usul/muad'dib is named, and then until jessica takes the water of life. tbh i think leto will be dead @90min into the film, with another hour/hour and a half to spare.

I think rabban will be used as the sacrificial lamb to rectify this and keep with movie-making theory and tradition of an end-of-film climax and significant win, with muad'dib leading a fremen raid on some approaching invasion force or outpost which rabban is overseeing. sure they could just end it with their first raid on some harkonen spice harvesters...but where is the sense of fulfillment in that? what if the first star wars ended with the rebels blowing up some minor property of the empire, providing a barely noticeable inconvenience to the emperor?

rabban is a minor character (in the books especially). apart from serving as a disposable pawn in the baron's scheme to place feyd on the throne, and giving a backstory to gurney halleck, rabban really doesn't do shit.

Robtard
Do you even Dune, bro?

Bashar Teg
you shut your cvnt

playa1258
Not even sure if Dune even comes out this year.

Robtard
It's still scheduled for Dec 18th 2020.

playa1258
Yes for now it's staying but with the way this year has went its not a sure thing right now.

Robtard
Of course, second wave of covid-19 could close down enough theaters that they shelve it until 2021.

Bashar Teg
Of course, second wave of covid-19 could close down enough theaters that they shelve it until 2021.

i will pay out the ass if necessary, to view it streaming on december 18th. i think it's possible. but also possible they postpone, as they avoided tagging the date at the end of the trailer. seems like they're leaving the option open

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>