Kurse is overrated! Thor defeats Kurse! Disagree?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Josh_Alexander
To me Kurse is an overestimated character.

It's true Kurse managed to deflect a returning Mjolnir, which resulted in Thor not having his hammer in the ENTIRE fight.

Yeah, Kurse was punching Thor all over the place, but it's damn clear that:

1. Thor was never actually defeated.
2. Thor never striked/use Mjolnir against Kurse.

What is even worse!!! The fight got interupted by Loki impaling Kurse with a random/common/non-important sword!

If a random sword was able to do so much damage, I believe that if Thor would have used Mjolnir properly should have defeated Kurse!

If Thor wouldn't have lost his hammer, and would have used it like a 'HAMMER' and not a 'BOOMERANG' he would have defeated Kurse.

Conclusion:
- Thor defeats Kurse
- Kurse is over-rated!

Do you agree or disagree? Why?

Nibedicus
From how I saw TDW, it looked pretty clear that Kurse had the strength advantage against Thor. Or at least Kurse was striking strong enough to basically stagger Thor with every hit. Something even Hulk (IMO) was unable to do in Ragnarok.

Granted if we look at the advantages Thor had vs Kurse. Flight, powerful winds (that he never uses since Thor 1) and powerful ranged attacks, it should be a no-brainer for Thor to use flight+ranged to just attack Kurse from afar til her brings the guy down.

Tho, Thor at this time's most powerful attacks (via "feats"wink were his lightning-charged hammer strikes so it is reasonable to assume that he would go melee than flight+ranged against stronger opponents.

Breaking it down, the fight between Thor and Kurse was basically an opponent powerful enough to hurt Thor with every hit who managed to strike first and strike often, stagger Thor, separate him from his weapon and continually pressing the advantage, giving Thor no time to recover something every smart opponent would do IRL but is sorely lacking in movie/comics as ppl tend to give their opponents time to get back via monologing or via simply not attacking until the job is finished.

Overall, Kurse (by showings), at least did far better vs Thor in h2h than Hulk IMO.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by Nibedicus
From how I saw TDW, it looked pretty clear that Kurse had the strength advantage against Thor. Or at least Kurse was striking strong enough to basically stagger Thor with every hit. Something even Hulk (IMO) was unable to do in Ragnarok.

Granted if we look at the advantages Thor had vs Kurse. Flight, powerful winds (that he never uses since Thor 1) and powerful ranged attacks, it should be a no-brainer for Thor to use flight+ranged to just attack Kurse from afar til her brings the guy down.

Tho, Thor at this time's most powerful attacks (via "feats"wink were his lightning-charged hammer strikes so it is reasonable to assume that he would go melee than flight+ranged against stronger opponents.

Breaking it down, the fight between Thor and Kurse was basically an opponent powerful enough to hurt Thor with every hit who managed to strike first and strike often, stagger Thor, separate him from his weapon and continually pressing the advantage, giving Thor no time to recover something every smart opponent would do IRL but is sorely lacking in movie/comics as ppl tend to give their opponents time to get back via monologing or via simply not attacking until the job is finished.

Overall, Kurse (by showings), at least did far better vs Thor in h2h than Hulk IMO.

Well also consider the fact that Kurse actually knows how to fight. If you pay keen attention you'll notice that Kurse is blocking Thor's punches something The Hulk never does.

And I agree, Kurse is stronger than Thor, but i would never put him as strong as Hulk.

Nibedicus
Originally posted by Josh_Alexander
Well also consider the fact that Kurse actually knows how to fight. If you pay keen attention you'll notice that Kurse is blocking Thor's punches something The Hulk never does.

And I agree, Kurse is stronger than Thor, but i would never put him as strong as Hulk.

Well, hit-to-hit, Kurse's punches were staggering Thor while Hulk would only toss Thor and annoy him in Ragnarok. I mean Thor's first hit vs Hulk did far better than Hulk's first hit against Thor (Thor was annoyed, Hulk was staggered and dizzy) in the arena battle (tho it was likely because Thor's hit was much better timed/aimed).

Kurse is definitely a much better fighter than Hulk tactically (dodges, blocks, uses environment to close distance, separates opponent from weapon and doesn't give Thor time to recover). Bear in mind that Kurse was able to deflect Mjolnir using his hands with his back turned (demonstrating awareness, reflexes and strength) something Hulk has never been able to do.

Overall, in terms of formidability (at least in relation to Thor) Kurse has demonstrated a superiority to Hulk at least.

Josh_Alexander
Well, hit-to-hit, Kurse's punches were staggering Thor while Hulk would only toss Thor and annoy him in Ragnarok. I mean Thor's first hit vs Hulk did far better than Hulk's first hit against Thor (Thor was annoyed, Hulk was staggered and dizzy) in the arena battle (tho it was likely because Thor's hit was much better timed/aimed).

Kurse is definitely a much better fighter than Hulk tactically (dodges, blocks, uses environment to close distance, separates opponent from weapon and doesn't give Thor time to recover). Bear in mind that Kurse was able to deflect Mjolnir using his hands with his back turned (demonstrating awareness, reflexes and strength) something Hulk has never been able to do.

Overall, in terms of formidability (at least in relation to Thor) Kurse has demonstrated a superiority to Hulk at least.

No. He has only demostrated superiority in fighting abilities.

I mean, Hulk is a terrible if not the worst MCU fighter! He doesn't even know how to block punches!

Thor is always dodging and blocking Hulk's attacks. If Hulk were to land every hit just like Kurse did, Thor would be doomed.

Kurse is a good fighter! That's what he is.

Nibedicus
No. He has only demostrated superiority in fighting abilities.

I mean, Hulk is a terrible if not the worst MCU fighter! He doesn't even know how to block punches!

Thor is always dodging and blocking Hulk's attacks. If Hulk were to land every hit just like Kurse did, Thor would be doomed.

Kurse is a good fighter! That's what he is.

Which is why I say -formidability- which is a combination of skill, speed, strength, overall durability, etc.

Strength is a hard attribute to nail down between Hulk and Kurse. There is no clear clear metric beyond how their hits affected Thor. But this can be explained away as Kurse being a better hitter, not a stronger one (or as McGregor loves to say: Precision beats power). However, in a fight, punch effectiveness matters more. I mean both managed to ground and pound Thor (as both managed to score clear direct hits to the face, precision matters much less here), with Hulk hitting even managing to do several double arm smashes while Kurse was stopped by Loki before he could do so but Thor was up almost immediately after Hulk pounded on him while it took him around 30 seconds to get up after Kurse's beating. In this ground-and-pound, Kurse is shown managing to hit Thor 7 times and Hulk hit Thor around 13-14 times including a jump-stomp.

FrothByte
This isn't a vs. fight, this is a rant. Don't be surprised if Imp closes this.

Josh_Alexander
Which is why I say -formidability- which is a combination of skill, speed, strength, overall durability, etc.

Strength is a hard attribute to nail down between Hulk and Kurse. There is no clear clear metric beyond how their hits affected Thor. But this can be explained away as Kurse being a better hitter, not a stronger one (or as McGregor loves to say: Precision beats power). However, in a fight, punch effectiveness matters more. I mean both managed to ground and pound Thor (as both managed to score clear direct hits to the face, precision matters much less here), with Hulk even managing to do several double arm smashes (while Kurse was stopped by Loki before he could do so) but Thor was up almost immediately after Hulk pounded on him while it took him around 30 seconds to get up after Kurse's beating.

I would give Kurse the advantage in fighting abilities and intelligence. Strengthwise and Durabilitywise Hulk is above..

Again, Kurse being impaled by a random sword isn't a good feat.

And i doubt Kurse can do the same against God-mode Thor.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by FrothByte
This isn't a vs. fight, this is a rant. Don't be surprised if Imp closes this.

It is a Versus match. Am stating Thor defeats Kurse, and allowing you to either agree with me or bring evidence to disagree with me.

Nibedicus
I would give Kurse the advantage in fighting abilities and intelligence. Strengthwise and Durabilitywise Hulk is above..

Again, Kurse being impaled by a random sword isn't a good feat.

And i doubt Kurse can do the same against God-mode Thor.

Strength wise, again, is a tricky thing to nail down essentially based on what I outlined above. The only metric we can use is Thor and the ground and pound they did to him (w/c is essentially as close to apples-to-apples as we can get as skill is not as important when you get clear direct hits). Kurse's ground and pound just seemed so much more effective than Hulk's based primarily on how many hits Thor took from each and how long it took Thor to recover.

Getting impaled is a durability "feat". Kurse soaked it and kept going tho (another plus he has is that he can basically ignore pain/damage unless it does utterly-destructive damage like a black hole grenade).

Asgardian/Elf/Frost giant weapons are designed to kill Asgardian/Elf/Frost giants, however. It is hard to quantify the capabilities of such weapons because they are implied to be effective against the likes of Thor and others (for example, Loki's blades can stab Thor even thru his armor).

We've never really seen Hulk get stabbed with those kinds of weapons even tho he walks thru anti-armor jet canonfire like it was a gentle rain. So, I'm torn in this area. But if we simply use "feats", then Hulk has the more quantifiable high-end durability "feat" between the two.

Josh_Alexander
Strength wise, again, is a tricky thing to nail down essentially based on what I outlined above. The only metric we can use is Thor and the ground and pound they did to him (w/c is essentially as close to apples-to-apples as we can get as skill is not as important when you get clear direct hits). Kurse's ground and pound just seemed so much more effective than Hulk's based primarily on how many hits Thor took from each and how long it took Thor to recover.

Getting impaled is a durability "feat". Kurse soaked it and kept going tho (another plus he has is that he can basically ignore pain/damage unless it does utterly-destructive damage like a black hole grenade).

Asgardian/Elf/Frost giant weapons are designed to kill Asgardian/Elf/Frost giants, however. It is hard to quantify the capabilities of such weapons because they are implied to be effective against the likes of Thor and others (for example, Loki's blades can stab Thor even thru his armor).

We've never really seen Hulk get stabbed with those kinds of weapons even tho he walks thru anti-armor jet canonfire like it was a gentle rain. So, I'm torn in this area. But if we simply use "feats", then Hulk has the more quantifiable high-end durability "feat" between the two.

Hulk's biggest strength feat: Stopping a Leviathan with one punch
Kurse: Struggling to throw a boulder with both hands.

Pretty much clear.

Well we've seen Hulk bouncing F-35 bullets off his skin without even scratching it.

We've also seen Hulk receiving Chitauri blasters and getting ragdolled by Hulkbuster against a building with 0 damage.

FrothByte
It is a Versus match. Am stating Thor defeats Kurse, and allowing you to either agree with me or bring evidence to disagree with me.

What are the stips of this match? Which version of Thor are you using? There's already a Thor vs. Kurse thread made, unless this thread has unique stipulations then this is just redundant.

Josh_Alexander
What are the stips of this match? Which version of Thor are you using? There's already a Thor vs. Kurse thread made, unless this thread has unique stipulations then this is just redundant.

If you read my post, you'll notice am debating the fight between Kurse and Thor in Dark World.

So this is normal Mjolnir Thor.

Josh_Alexander
Consider this people, a Thor vs Kurse rematch, in where Thor has Mjolnir

Nibedicus
Hulk's biggest strength feat: Stopping a Leviathan with one punch
Kurse: Struggling to throw a boulder with both hands.

Pretty much clear.

Well we've seen Hulk bouncing F-35 bullets off his skin without even scratching it.

We've also seen Hulk receiving Chitauri blasters and getting ragdolled by Hulkbuster against a building with 0 damage.

He didn't visibly "struggle" to lift the boulder (at least I can't see where he struggled as he lifted the thing) he did grunt as he threw it as he would want to put as much force into it to deal as much damage as possible (w/c makes sense as he wanted to hurt Thor) kind of like Hulk sorta-roaring as he thew the arena hammer at Thor. How they sound would be irrelevant here, if you ask me. So the boulder throw would be a poor indicator of Kurse's upper limits to his strength.

Again, we have an apples-to-apples metric, Hulk's and Kurse's ground and pound of Thor, where Kurse's came out much better.

Like I said, we never really see Hulk getting stabbed by an Asgardian/Elven/Frost Giant weapon before, so Kurse's poor performance against such weapons is not a basis to compare the two's durability. Although, if you ask me, I would def have no problem putting Hulk as the more durable of the two.

Overall, however, it is clear that in terms of formidability and using Thor as a metric, Kurse has demonstrably been better than Hulk. Call it a difference in skill if you want, but it would be an attribute that compensates for any other stats difference between the two to such a degree that it puts Kurse well ahead of Hulk against beings with Thor's capabilities if we go simply by end results.

Josh_Alexander
He didn't visibly "struggle" to lift the boulder (at least I can't see where he struggled as he lifted the thing) he did grunt as he threw it as he would want to put as much force into it to deal as much damage as possible (w/c makes sense as he wanted to hurt Thor) kind of like Hulk sorta-roaring as he thew the arena hammer at Thor. How they sound would be irrelevant here, if you ask me. So the boulder throw would be a poor indicator of Kurse's upper limits to his strength.

Again, we have an apples-to-apples metric, Hulk's and Kurse's ground and pound of Thor, where Kurse's came out much better.

Like I said, we never really see Hulk getting stabbed by an Asgardian/Elven/Frost Giant weapon before, so Kurse's poor performance against such weapons is not a basis to compare the two's durability. Although, if you ask me, I would def have no problem putting Hulk as the more durable of the two.

Overall, however, it is clear that in terms of formidability and using Thor as a metric, Kurse has demonstrably been better than Hulk. Call it a difference in skill if you want, but it would be an attribute that compensates for any other stats difference between the two to such a degree that it puts Kurse well ahead of Hulk against beings with Thor's capabilities if we go simply by end results.

Thing is, Hulk got the highest feat. We could speculate on Kurse upper limit, but in the end it would only be speculation.

Again, we could only speculate on the sword. I personally doubt such sword could even scratch Hulk. He was bouncing F-35 bullets in the end with 0 damage.

Nibedicus
Thing is, Hulk got the highest feat. We could speculate on Kurse upper limit, but in the end it would only be speculation.

Again, we could only speculate on the sword. I personally doubt such sword could even scratch Hulk. He was bouncing F-35 bullets in the end with 0 damage.

That is why we look for an apples-to-apples comparison. Which we do have. And in this instance, Kurse comes out decisively on top in punch effectiveness where skill is not much of a factor (as they were both getting clean, clear and direct hits to the face).

I will argue that such weapons were made to pierce high level durability (again, see: Loki knives piercing Thor). But again, I have no problem putting Hulk above Kurse in durability.

Tho, I will mention that Thor did punch Kurse and Hulk. Where Hulk's body bent as Thor punched it (2:30 https://youtu.be/NcLmyi46VYA), Kurse basically barely noticed he was hit (0:34 https://youtu.be/ZJneSSYTZFo).

Josh_Alexander
That is why we look for an apples-to-apples comparison. Which we do have. And in this instance, Kurse comes out decisively on top in punch effectiveness where skill is not much of a factor (as they were both getting clean, clear and direct hits to the face).

I will argue that such weapons were made to pierce high level durability (again, see: Loki knives piercing Thor). But again, I have no problem putting Hulk above Kurse in durability.

Tho, I will mention that Thor did punch Kurse and Hulk. Where Hulk's body bent as Thor punched it (2:30 https://youtu.be/NcLmyi46VYA), Kurse basically barely noticed he was hit (0:34 https://youtu.be/ZJneSSYTZFo).

I agree. Kurse is more effective landing punches. Hulk is too clumsy and not a good fighter.

Need to notice that Thor was pretty much tired and weakened from getting ragdolled by Kurse. On the other hand, Thor was pretty fresh and focused in his fight in the Arena.

Nibedicus
I agree. Kurse is more effective landing punches. Hulk is too clumsy and not a good fighter.

Need to notice that Thor was pretty much tired and weakened from getting ragdolled by Kurse. On the other hand, Thor was pretty fresh and focused in his fight in the Arena.

Ground and pound has very little to do with being clumsy or skilled, tho. Those are clear direct punches to the face against a prone opponent. If you are not bringing your full strength to bear during those, then your punches are just terrible anyway regardless of how strong you are (thus the difference in strength would be practically irrelevant).

Bear in mind that Thor was fighting Kurse barely 30 seconds (where he's taken 4 punches at that point and even had a good 13-15 seconds to recover on the ground before hitting Kurse) so fatigue may not be so much an issue here. In contrast, Thor has already been fighting Hulk for longer and he's already been kicked and puny god'd by the time he was punching Hulk.

Again, I have no problem putting Hulk's durability as greater than Kurse's but I will argue that the difference between the two is very slight if we use Thor's punches as a metric.

Josh_Alexander
Ground and pound has very little to do with being clumsy or skilled, tho. Those are clear direct punches to the face against a prone opponent. If you are not bringing your full strength to bear during those, then your punches are just terrible anyway regardless of how strong you are (thus the difference in strength would be practically irrelevant).

Bear in mind that Thor was fighting Kurse barely 30 seconds (where he's taken 4 punches at that point and even had a good 13-15 seconds to recover on the ground before hitting Kurse) so fatigue may not be so much an issue here. In contrast, Thor has already been fighting Hulk for longer and he's already been kicked and puny god'd by the time he was punching Hulk.

Again, I have no problem putting Hulk's durability as greater than Kurse's but I will argue that the difference between the two is very slight if we use Thor's punches as a metric.

It's pretty clear that Kurse is faster than Hulk too. For every hit Hulk landed Kurse was landing 2-3. Amout of punches also comes to bear.

Yet Hulk missed 3 out of 4 attacks while getting hit back. Kurse was blocking Thor's attacks, while landing every one of his.

FrothByte
It's pretty clear that Kurse is faster than Hulk too. For every hit Hulk landed Kurse was landing 2-3. Amout of punches also comes to bear.

Yet Hulk missed 3 out of 4 attacks while getting hit back. Kurse was blocking Thor's attacks, while landing every one of his.

So you agree that Kurse would beat Hulk in pure h2h?

Josh_Alexander
So you agree that Kurse would beat Hulk in pure h2h?

Hell no.

This is like a rock-paper-scissors scenario.

Kurse is just fast enough, and strong enough to beat a hammerless Thor. Yet, he won't have the strength advantage against Hulk, and speed wouldn't matter much, since he is to big to dodge the way Thor dodges Hulk's attacks.

Nibedicus

That didn't happen on the ground and pound (GnP) tho. Basically every one of Hulk's GnP punches hit, Hulk also hit Thor more than twice the number of GnP hits Kurse had and even managed to land double arm strikes (w/c Kurse was unable to do due to Loki stopping him) as well as a jump-stomp at the start. In fact, on the GnP alone (w/c landed 20 seconds), he managed to basically match Kurse's overall total number of punches landed (Kurse landed a total of 14 hits including the rock throw, Hulk landed 13-14 GnP hits, 2 off screen including the ground stomp from my count).

Basically, Hulk landed as many direct, clean full power hits to a prone Thor as ALL of Kurse's hits combined and yet had much less of an effect on Thor.

Nibedicus
Hell no.

This is like a rock-paper-scissors scenario.

Kurse is just fast enough, and strong enough to beat a hammerless Thor. Yet, he won't have the strength advantage against Hulk, and speed wouldn't matter much, since he is to big to dodge the way Thor dodges Hulk's attacks.

Kurse actually managed to block and dodge Thor's attacks (0:11, 0:37) as well as managed to backhand a bumrushing flying Thor AND deflect Mjolnir at the last split-second while his back was turned. Why wouldn't he be able to dodge/block Hulk's attacks (where Thor was able to dodge and block Hulk's)?

Josh_Alexander
That didn't happen on the ground and pound (GnP) tho. Basically every one of Hulk's GnP punches hit, Hulk also hit Thor more than twice the number of GnP hits Kurse had and even managed to land double arm strikes (w/c Kurse was unable to do due to Loki stopping him) as well as a jump-stomp at the start. In fact, on the GnP alone (w/c landed 20 seconds), he managed to basically match Kurse's overall total number of punches landed (Kurse landed a total of 14 hits including the rock throw, Hulk landed 13-14 GnP hits, 2 off screen including the ground stomp from my count).

Basically, Hulk landed as many direct, clean full power hits to a prone Thor as ALL of Kurse's hits combined and yet had much less of an effect on Thor.

Well Thor actually went unconcious which lead him to unleash God-mode.

Thor was inmovile with Kurse too I agree, but he never went unconcious.

Honestly, let's also remember how terrible Dark World movie was...Could just be PIS.

And again, Thor had a better time with Hulk. He dodged a lot. On the other hand, Kurse landed everyhit wearing Thor down.

Nibedicus
Well Thor actually went unconcious which lead him to unleash God-mode.

Thor was inmovile with Kurse too I agree, but he never went unconcious.

Honestly, let's also remember how terrible Dark World movie was...Could just be PIS.

And again, Thor had a better time with Hulk. He dodged a lot. On the other hand, Kurse landed everyhit wearing Thor down.

He didn't "went unconscious", he was stunned (his eyes were clearly open as Hulk was punching him) but he recovered from it (in fact, we can see Thor slowly recovering from it as he unleashes his charged punch). There is really no indication that going God-mode that time made him recover from damage like he does when he touches his weapon and summons whatever healing power those things give him.

PIS is not an issue here, for that, you'd need contradictory showings and facts/logic that plot ignored for the sake of story. As it is, that is the ONLY showing Thor had vs Kurse, thus it is conclusive.

I already pointed out that the single instance of GnP Hulk poured onto Thor w/c would allow him to bring his full strength to bear matches the number of hits Kurse had in totality. Thor even got several seconds of recovery time every few hits from Kurse while Hulk's GnP gave Thor zero time to recover between those dozen+ hits.

Josh_Alexander
He didn't "went unconscious", he was stunned (his eyes were clearly open as Hulk was punching him) but he recovered from it (in fact, we can see Thor slowly recovering from it as he unleashes his charged punch). There is really no indication that going God-mode that time made him recover from damage like he does when he touches his weapon and summons whatever healing power those things give him.

PIS is not an issue here, for that, you'd need contradictory showings and facts/logic that plot ignored for the sake of story. As it is, that is the ONLY showing Thor had vs Kurse, thus it is conclusive.

I already pointed out that the single instance of GnP Hulk poured onto Thor w/c would allow him to bring his full strength to bear matches the number of hits Kurse had in totality. Thor even got several seconds of recovery time every few hits from Kurse while Hulk's GnP gave Thor zero time to recover between those dozen+ hits.

He lost track of the fight and was having visions. Samething didn't happened with Kurse.

The fact that Thor never used his hammer properly like in the other films makes it PIS.

He also got them against Hulk. And Hulk missed many shots, whilst Kurse didn't. Kurse was blocking attacks while Hulk was receiving them all.

Nibedicus
He lost track of the fight and was having visions. Samething didn't happened with Kurse.

The fact that Thor never used his hammer properly like in the other films makes it PIS.

He also got them against Hulk. And Hulk missed many shots, whilst Kurse didn't. Kurse was blocking attacks while Hulk was receiving them all.

"Losing track of the fight" is subjective, I could easily say that, with Kurse, the only "visions" he got were stars. Bottom line, Thor recovered from Hulk's GnP within seconds while it took almost a minute to recover from Kurse's. Where Hulk landed as many hits in that one instance of GnP as Kurse's total number of hits in his entire fight with Thor.

No, actually one could argue that Kurse vs Thor was one of the few fights where PIS was not involved. Kurse fought smart and effectively (blocked, dodged, limited Thor's use of his weapon and was relentless in striking Thor, didn't grandstand or monologue and didin't give time to recover at all, w/c is what RL opponents should be doing).

I don't get why you keep bringing back the dodging/missing/etc. here. Those are all completely 100% irrelevant since we have one segment of the fight where Hulk (within a short time) managed to land as many hits as Kurse did in totality. All of which were full-power, direct and clean vs a prone Thor.

Don't know why I have to keep explaining this. Come on, man.

Josh_Alexander
"Losing track of the fight" is subjective, I could easily say that, with Kurse, the only "visions" he got were stars. Bottom line, Thor recovered from Hulk's GnP within seconds while it took almost a minute to recover from Kurse's. Where Hulk landed as many hits in that one instance of GnP as Kurse's total number of hits in his entire fight with Thor.

No, actually one could argue that Kurse vs Thor was one of the few fights where PIS was not involved. Kurse fought smart and effectively (blocked, dodged, limited Thor's use of his weapon and was relentless in striking Thor, didn't grandstand or monologue and didin't give time to recover at all, w/c is what RL opponents should be doing).

I don't get why you keep bringing back the dodging/missing/etc. here. Those are all completely 100% irrelevant since we have one segment of the fight where Hulk (within a short time) managed to land as many hits as Kurse did in totality. All of which were full-power, direct and clean vs a prone Thor.

Don't know why I have to keep explaining this. Come on, man.

Speculation

If Thor would have had his hammer in hand while fighting i could agree. Yet Dark World give us a hammerless Thor (Sure Kurse deflected it away while returning to Thor, but doesn't mean Kurse could take a hammer to the face).

They come to play. Thor got rocked, and punched prior to the scene. He was weak already and being punched by an unharmed Kurse. Whilst on Sakaar, Hulk was harmed and Thor wasn't seriously damaged prior to the scene.

It's like saying that running a mile prior to a race won't affect me in the race.

CPT Space Bomb
LOL you can tell someone is butthurt to create a thread like this.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
LOL you can tell someone is butthurt to create a thread like this.

Seems like someone keeps being an ignorant! laughing out loud

Nibedicus
Speculation

If Thor would have had his hammer in hand while fighting i could agree. Yet Dark World give us a hammerless Thor (Sure Kurse deflected it away while returning to Thor, but doesn't mean Kurse could take a hammer to the face).

They come to play. Thor got rocked, and punched prior to the scene. He was weak already and being punched by an unharmed Kurse. Whilst on Sakaar, Hulk was harmed and Thor wasn't seriously damaged prior to the scene.

It's like saying that running a mile prior to a race won't affect me in the race.

Actually, I was pointing out that YOU were speculating (on the "visions"wink and how I could easily do the same thing.

Bottom line is always the result.

Never said Kurse could take a hammer to the face, I never made this argument. Don't strawman me now.

Hulk never demonstrated as being weakened by being "harmed", he took hits but it seemed like he was getting MORE effective as he was getting hit (makes sense as he's supposed to get stronger as he gets madder) as implied by him catching Thor's hammer and turning the tide of the fight as soon as he got mad enough. So your entire argument of Hulk being "harmed" having a negative effect is completely speculative and is actually provably the opposite of what the evidence shows.

Sprinters actually do warm-ups before a race (https://www.livestrong.com/article/557989-proper-warm-up-for-sprinting/). So your attempt at an analogy might have actually proven me even more right. Funny how that worked.

Josh_Alexander
Actually, I was pointing out that YOU were speculating (on the "visions"wink and how I could easily do the same thing.

Bottom line is always the result.

Never said Kurse could take a hammer to the face, I never made this argument. Don't strawman me now.

Hulk never demonstrated as being weakened by being "harmed", he took hits but it seemed like he was getting MORE effective as he was getting hit (makes sense as he's supposed to get stronger as he gets madder) as implied by him catching Thor's hammer and turning the tide of the fight as soon as he got mad enough. So your entire argument of Hulk being "harmed" having a negative effect is completely speculative and is actually provably the opposite of what the evidence shows.

Sprinters actually do warm-ups before a race (https://www.livestrong.com/article/557989-proper-warm-up-for-sprinting/). So your attempt at an analogy might have actually proven me even more right. Funny how that worked.

Thor clearly had visions in the arena. Against Kurse we are presented with none, therefore it's speculation.

NVM.

But Thor was less harmed, and therefore could take more. Get me?

laughing out loud Wrong analogy. What about this one? You go do weights a day prior to an arm-wrestling competition.

Arachnid1
Kurse is just fast enough, and strong enough to beat a hammerless Thor. Yet, he won't have the strength advantage against Hulk, and speed wouldn't matter much, since he is to big to dodge the way Thor dodges Hulk's attacks. It's not just. That implies he barely beat Thor, when he flat out stomped him. Thor wasn't hammerless either. He was just completely unable to utilize it well during Kurses onslaught. Kurses attacks hurt Thor more than Hulks ever did, and there were moments where he dodged and blocked Thors attacks, which means he'd have no trouble doing the same to Hulk. Hell, he was able to react to some of Thors attacks without even looking, which suggest some kind of precog or heightened senses. Kurse stomps Hulk. He really doesn't even struggle.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by Arachnid1
It's not just. That implies he barely beat Thor, when he flat out stomped him. Thor wasn't hammerless either. He was just completely unable to utilize it well during Kurses onslaught. Kurses attacks hurt Thor more than Hulks ever did, and there were moments where he dodged and blocked Thors attacks, which means he'd have no trouble doing the same to Hulk. Hell, he was able to react to some of Thors attacks without even looking, which suggest some kind of precog or heightened senses. Kurse stomps Hulk. He really doesn't even struggle.

Again, to me it seems like a Rock-Paper-Scissors scenario.

Kurse is stronger than Thor but also a decent fighter to be able to dodge and make the most of his strength and velocity.

However, Hulk is just a brute beast. Hulk is just too strong for Kurse. And Kurse isn't fast enough nor agile enough to just dodge. Also, i don't see Kurse overpowering Hulk.

Nibedicus
Thor clearly had visions in the arena. Against Kurse we are presented with none, therefore it's speculation.

NVM.

But Thor was less harmed, and therefore could take more. Get me?

laughing out loud Wrong analogy. What about this one? You go do weights a day prior to an arm-wrestling competition.

Yes, but "losing track of the fight" was speculative. W/c I then demonstrated that I could do the same ("see stars"wink. Either way, it is irrelevant. Bottom line is in the results (few seconds recovery vs half a minute).

Except you keep forgetting that Hulk's GnP put in as many punches as Kurse's total number of punches. So your logic of Thor being in better shape prior to Hulk's GnP is irrelevant.

The analogy is still faulty as ppl can lift weights prior to a competition without affecting their performance the next day. But I digress.

Josh_Alexander
Yes, but "losing track of the fight" was speculative. W/c I then demonstrated that I could do the same ("see stars"wink. Either way, it is irrelevant. Bottom line is in the results (few seconds recovery vs half a minute).

Except you keep forgetting that Hulk's GnP put in as many punches as Kurse's total number of punches. So your logic of Thor being in better shape prior to Hulk's GnP is irrelevant.

The analogy is still faulty as ppl can lift weights prior to a competition without affecting their performance the next day. But I digress.

If you are in better shape it's obvious you could take more punishment Nibe.

I doubt you can properly arm wrestle with muscle soreness.

Either way I see it like this:

Hulk: - Stronger and more durable
Kurse: Better fighter and more agile.
Thor: Jack of all trades

In a proper fight, where Thor doesn't lose Mjolnir, do you think Kurse could win?

Arachnid1
Again, to me it seems like a Rock-Paper-Scissors scenario.

Kurse is stronger than Thor but also a decent fighter to be able to dodge and make the most of his strength and velocity.

However, Hulk is just a brute beast. Hulk is just too strong for Kurse. And Kurse isn't fast enough nor agile enough to just dodge. Also, i don't see Kurse overpowering Hulk. I do agree that a>b>c logic typically should be in consideration, but thats in scenarios where the combatants have at least some variable abilities and/or weaknesses (which is the entire idea of rock-paper-scissors). Sometimes, C characters powers could actually be more effective in nature than B characters when fighting A character. For example, Sentry (C character) could probably beat Lex (A character) in his kryptonite mech suit whereas Supes (B character) would lose in that fight because of the kryptonite. Despite that, Supes would beat Sentry in a throw down.

Kurse and Hulk are similar enough that they can be compared vs Thor. Both are just flat out brute strength fighters. They're both rock. Kurse is just the more effective and bigger rock. On top of that, Thor was Kurses only real fight we can use as a metric in this thread which makes it impossible to throw out.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by Arachnid1
I do agree that a>b>c logic typically should be in consideration, but thats in scenarios where the combatants have at least some variable abilities and/or weaknesses (which is the entire idea of rock-paper-scissors). Sometimes, C characters powers could actually be more effective in nature than B characters when fighting A character. For example, Sentry (C character) could probably beat Lex in his kryptonite mech suit whereas Supes would lose in that fight because of the kryptonite. Despite that, Supes would beat Sentry in a throw down.

Kurse and Hulk are similar enough that they can be compared vs Thor. Both are just flat out brute strength fighters. They're both rock. Kurse is just the more effective and bigger rock. On top of that, Thor was Kurses only real fight we can use as a metric in this thread which makes it impossible to throw out.

No, you can't really compare Kurse and Hulk.

Kurse isn't a brute beast. He actually thinks and is able to reason. Hulk is just brute and superstrong.

Again, Hulk one-punched the Leviathan. I don't see Kurse being able to stop or take such a force.

I see it like this:

Nibedicus
If you are in better shape it's obvious you could take more punishment Nibe.

I doubt you can properly arm wrestle with muscle soreness.

Either way I see it like this:

In a proper fight, where Thor doesn't lose Mjolnir, do you think Kurse could win?

Let's just simplify things so you can get it:

Kurse hit Thor a TOTAL of 14 times. Half of which is spread out and gave Thor some time to recover and the other half within a span of a ground and pound

Hulk hit Thor 14 times on a single ground and pound. With a few hits prior.

Do you think that if Hulk had hit Thor 7 times then given Thor time to recover THEN hit Thor 7 times again, that Thor would be worse off than if Hulk had just hit Tho 14 times consecutively?

How is Thor being in "better shape" prior to the GnP even relevant here? It's simple math man.

Taking your analogy, it's like lifting a day before an arm wrestling match vs lifting DURING the arm wrestling match and then not resting in-between matches.

Provably, Kurse is the better striker, fighter and has more-or-less close to the same level durability as Hulk with regards to how he treated Thor's hits.

And I already answered that last question in my first reply.

Josh_Alexander
Let's just simplify things so you can get it:

Kurse hit Thor a TOTAL of 14 times. Half of which is spread out and gave Thor some time to recover and the other half within a span of a ground and pound

Hulk hit Thor 14 times on a single ground and pound. With a few hits prior.

Do you think that if Hulk had hit Thor 7 times then given Thor time to recover THEN hit Thor 7 times again, that Thor would be worse off than if Hulk had just hit Tho 14 times consecutively?

How is Thor being in "better shape" prior to the GnP even relevant here? It's simple math man.

Taking your analogy, it's like lifting a day before an arm wrestling match vs lifting DURING the arm wrestling match and then not resting in-between matches.

Provably, Kurse is the better striker, fighter and has more-or-less close to the same level durability as Hulk with regards to how he treated Thor's hits.

And I already answered that last question in my first reply.

I believe that if Hulk would have had a big rock to throw at Thor the way Kurse did, he would have required less than 7 punches to finish him.

You forgot to add the fact that Thor received a massive boulder prior to that.

Nibedicus
I believe that if Hulk would have had a big rock to throw at Thor the way Kurse did, he would have required less than 7 punches to finish him.

You forgot to add the fact that Thor received a massive boulder prior to that.

How is a rock more powerful than Hulk's punches? Think about it for a second. Hulk would have busted that rock with a power punch easily. Heck, Kurse busted a good chunk of it with a punch, too.

Think, man.

Kurse only needed it to press his advantage to not allow Thor time to recover.

Josh_Alexander
How is a rock more powerful than Hulk's punches? Think about it for a second. Hulk would have busted that rock with a power punch easily. Heck, Kurse busted a good chunk of it with a punch, too.

Think, man.

Kurse only needed it to press his advantage to not allow Thor time to recover.

Again, the movie to me has errors. However feats are feats. Thor received a massive boulder which 'apparently' hurt him, since he didn't move from there until Kurse was over punching him.

And I agree, Kurse fight with Thor ended way better than Hulk's fight with Thor.

But i think it's due to the Rock-Paper-Scissors analogy, and not because Kurse is somewhat better than Hulk.

Nibedicus
Again, the movie to me has errors. However feats are feats. Thor received a massive boulder which 'apparently' hurt him, since he didn't move from there until Kurse was over punching him.

And I agree, Kurse fight with Thor ended way better than Hulk's fight with Thor.

But i think it's due to the Rock-Paper-Scissors analogy.

Thor was already obviously hurt already before the rock hit him, it was just another hit from a string of constant hits Kurse was beating him down with. Again, it is telling that every hit Kurse was dishing out stunned Thor enough that he'd need time to recover while every hit Hulk had was basically shaken off by Thor.

And it is insane to think a big rock (that may weigh just under 300 tons) > Hulk's fist (that managed to punch out a 1k ton Leviathan). No way will I accept that.

I don't accept the rock-paper-scissors comparison. Hulk is slower (defensively), less skilled and less precise than Kurse. Kurse has, provably, better striking effectiveness than Hulk and the only difference seems to be durability w/c isn't that big of a gap (if we compare them using Thor's punches) while Kurse basically just ignores pain.

If Kurse is able to land more hits, with each hit doing more damage, while ignoring the hits he does take (even if he takes more damage in the end), just how is Hulk beating him?

In an MMA fight, would you bet on the bigger bodybuilder/weightlifter with a weaker and slower punch than a seasoned MMA striker that has been shown to have deadly KO power?

Josh_Alexander
Thor was already obviously hurt already before the rock hit him, it was just another hit from a string of constant hits Kurse was beating him down with. Again, it is telling that every hit Kurse was dishing out stunned Thor enough that he'd need time to recover while every hit Hulk had was basically shaken off by Thor.

And it is insane to think a big rock (that may weigh just under 300 tons) > Hulk's fist (that managed to punch out a 1k ton Leviathan). No way will I accept that.

I don't accept the rock-paper-scissors comparison. Hulk is slower (defensively), less skilled and less precise than Kurse. Kurse has, provably, better striking effectiveness than Hulk and the only difference seems to be durability w/c isn't that big of a gap (if we compare them using Thor's punches) while Kurse basically just ignores pain.

If Kurse is able to land more hits, with each hit doing more damage, while ignoring the hits he does take (even if he takes more damage in the end), just how is Hulk beating him?

In an MMA fight, would you bet on the bigger bodybuilder/weightlifter with a weaker and slower punch than a seasoned MMA striker that has been shown to have deadly KO power?

You yourself answered your question.

I don't see Kurse being able to take a 1K Ton punch from the Hulk. Also, Kurse is fast, but there is no way he is dodging Hulk punches like Thor does.

If you compare Thor with Hulk. Thor is small! He is agile and able to easily dodge Hulk's attacks. Kurse on the other hand is big. He aint dodging punches. And you already agreed that Hulk is stronger so, Kurse's strength won't matter here.

Nibedicus
You yourself answered your question.

I don't see Kurse being able to take a 1K Ton punch from the Hulk. Also, Kurse is fast, but there is no way he is dodging Hulk punches like Thor does.

If you compare Thor with Hulk. Thor is small! He is agile and able to easily dodge Hulk's attacks. Kurse on the other hand is big. He aint dodging punches. And you already agreed that Hulk is stronger so, Kurse's strength won't matter here.

Showings disagree with you.

Kurse dodged/blocked Thor's punches. Thor is smaller and faster and more skilled than Hulk. See where I'm going here?

Where did I say I agreed to Hulk being stronger? Why won't Kurse's strength matter?

Again:

Josh_Alexander
Showings disagree with you.

Kurse dodged/blocked Thor's punches. Thor is smaller and faster and more skilled than Hulk. See where I'm going here?

Where did I say I agreed to Hulk being stronger? Why won't Kurse's strength matter?

Again:

Kurse wasn't dodging Thor's punches, he was blocking them.

Hulk has greater feats of strength than Kurse. Furthermore, Kurse only stopped beating Thor because he got impaled by Loki. Isn't like Thor wasn't willing to take more punches or that Kurse would have stopped.

And again, the circumstances prior to Thor being on the ground getting punched are quite different in both scenarios.

And my bad, i thought you did.

Silent Master
And you already agreed that Hulk is stronger so, Kurse's strength won't matter here.

Where did he agree that the Hulk was stronger?

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by Silent Master
Where did he agree that the Hulk was stronger?

I already clarified that.

Nibedicus
Kurse wasn't dodging Thor's punches, he was blocking them.

Hulk has greater feats of strength than Kurse. Furthermore, Kurse only stopped beating Thor because he got impaled by Loki. Isn't like Thor wasn't willing to take more punches or that Kurse would have stopped.

And again, the circumstances prior to Thor being on the ground getting punched are quite different in both scenarios.

I provided time stamps. He blocked one punch, he dodged (ducked under) one punch. Pls review.

No, he has a Leviathan punch. Which is the more quantifiable "feat". The latter punches are just hard to quantify as we have no measurable metric other than Thor's face's durability.

However, If you think a straight punch would be much stronger than a full powered ground pound (they would be comparable IMO), then we have nothing else to discuss.

I don't get your logic here. How does Kurse needing to be stopped by Loki help your case? If anything, it proves my case.

Sigh. How are you not getting:

Hulk punches Thor 14 times in a single ground pound.

Kurse punches Thor 14 times spread out across a long fight, half of which occurred during a ground pound, but where Thor had multiple chances to recover.

Kurse's punches had a much better effect. The circumstances of Thor prior to Hulk's GnP are meaningless and completely irrelevant as Hulk had the chance to completely make up for the difference in hits/damage during his GnP.

This is as simple as logic can get. Again, how are you not getting it? At this point, I don't know what else I can tell you so you can understand.

Silent Master
I already clarified that.

By clarified, you mean admit that he never said it?

Nibedicus
@Josh

If you missed my post about Thor dodging/blocking, here:

Kurse actually managed to block and dodge Thor's attacks (0:11, 0:37) as well as managed to backhand a bumrushing flying Thor AND deflect Mjolnir at the last split-second while his back was turned. Why wouldn't he be able to dodge/block Hulk's attacks (where Thor was able to dodge and block Hulk's)?

Josh_Alexander
I provided time stamps. He blocked one punch, he dodged (ducked under) one punch. Pls review.

No, he has a Leviathan punch. Which is the more quantifiable "feat". The latter punches are just hard to quantify as we have no measurable metric other than Thor's face's durability.

However, If you think a straight punch would be much stronger than a full powered ground pound (they would be comparable IMO), then we have nothing else to discuss.

I don't get your logic here. How does Kurse needing to be stopped by Loki help your case? If anything, it proves my case.

Sigh. How are you not getting:

Hulk punches Thor 14 times in a single ground pound.

Kurse punches Thor 14 times spread out across a long fight, half of which occurred during a ground pound, but where Thor had multiple chances to recover.

Kurse's punches had a much better effect. The circumstances of Thor prior to Hulk's GnP are meaningless and completely irrelevant as Hulk had the chance to completely make up for the difference in hits/damage during his GnP.

This is as simple as logic can get. Again, how are you not getting it? At this point, I don't know what else I can tell you so you can understand.

Well, whatever it is, Kurse had a better result in the fight with Thor, i never disagreed.

Whether it's PIS or something else, it's clear that for some reason Kurse's punches 'damaged' Thor more.

Yet, again, the most clear show of strength are the Leviathan and Boulder feat. Whilst in a fight you don't really know how much strength characters are putting in their fists.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by Silent Master
By clarified, you mean admit that he never said it?

I retracted my words. I thought he said so.

Nibedicus
Well, whatever it is, Kurse had a better result in the fight with Thor, i never disagreed.

Whether it's PIS or something else, it's clear that for some reason Kurse's punches 'damaged' Thor more.

Yet, again, the most clear shown of strength are the Leviathan and Boulder feat. Whilst in a fight you don't really know how much strength characters are putting in their fists.

Already covered this. Those aren't the clearest, just the most quantifiable. We don't know if the boulder throw tested the full extent of Kurse's strength.

The clearest comparative metric is an apples-to-applies approach where both Kurse's and Hulk's punches are tested against Thor's face within similar circumstances (edit) that eliminates secondary factors like skill and precision (ground and pound). There is little/no reason to believe that they'd pull their punches.

And in that metric Kurse > Hulk. Clearly and conclusively.

/thread.

Josh_Alexander
Already covered this. Those aren't the clearest, just the most quantifiable. We don't know if the boulder throw tested the full extent of Kurse's strength.

The clearest comparative metric is an apples-to-applies approach where both Kurse's and Hulk's punches are tested against Thor's face within similar circumstances (edit) that eliminates secondary factors like skill and precision (ground and pound). There is little/no reason to believe that they'd pull their punches.

And in that metric Kurse > Hulk. Clearly and conclusively.

/thread.

And yet the opposite occurs with the scenarios, althought they are similar and the most clear (For both were hitting Thor's face) they aren't quantifiable. You can't assure Hulk was hitting Thor with the same force he hit the Leviathan or he hit Hulkbuster armor.

In your metric i would agree that Kurse appears stronger, but that doesn't cover for max strength.

Nibedicus
And yet the opposite occurs with the scenarios, althought they are similar and the most clear (For both were hitting Thor's face) they aren't quantifiable. You can't assure Hulk was hitting Thor with the same force he hit the Leviathan or he hit Hulkbuster armor.

In your metric i would agree that Kurse appears stronger, but that doesn't cover for max strength.

We can't be sure of anything in a fictional setting. We can't, for example, assume that the Leviathan punch was Hulk's strongest either.

The need for quantification becomes unnecessary when provided with an apples-to-apples scenario. We do not need to precisely clock the speed 2 cars if we can simply race the 2 in a straight line to see which is faster.

FrothByte
Josh is just frustrated that people voted for Kurse over Thanos in the Kurse vs. Thanos thread. So now he's bending over backwards to try and discredit Kurse, going so far as to turn a blind eye to such obvious facts like:

1. Thor hurt Hulk with his punches, Thor couldn't budge Kurse with his punches. Therefore: Kurse > Hulk in durability.

2. Kurse's punches hurt Thor far worse than Hulk's punches. Therefore: Kurse > Hulk in strength, or at least in striking strength.

3. Thor dodged around Hulk's blows and beat him to the punch. Kurse blocked and dodged Thor's blows and beat him to the punch. Therefore: Kurse > Hulk in speed, reflexes and fighting skill.

In the end, while Kurse vs. Thanos is debatable, Kurse vs. Hulk is clearly in Kurse's favor. Josh is stupid to think Hulk can beat Kurse in straight h2h. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Josh claimed Juggernaut can beat Kurse just as a way to lowball Kurse.

Josh_Alexander
We can't be sure of anything in a fictional setting. We can't, for example, assume that the Leviathan punch was Hulk's strongest either.

The need for quantification becomes unnecessary when provided with an apples-to-apples scenario. We do not need to precisely clock the speed 2 cars if we can simply race the 2 in a straight line to see which is faster.

Well it's the one which most damage output. Stopping a 1000T beast plus breaking open it's armor.

If you have a car with a top speed of 150mph and another with 100mph and you race them, yet the 100mph wins, would it be fault of the car or of the driver?

Does it mean the 100mph car is faster, or that the one driving the 150mph one didn't drive it properly?

Just because Kurse had a better outcome in the fight with Thor doesn't mean Hulk who has better quantifiable feats is weaker.

See?

Josh_Alexander
Josh is just frustrated that people voted for Kurse over Thanos in the Kurse vs. Thanos thread. So now he's bending over backwards to try and discredit Kurse, going so far as to turn a blind eye to such obvious facts like:

1. Thor hurt Hulk with his punches, Thor couldn't budge Kurse with his punches. Therefore: Kurse > Hulk in durability.

2. Kurse's punches hurt Thor far worse than Hulk's punches. Therefore: Kurse > Hulk in strength, or at least in striking strength.

3. Thor dodged around Hulk's blows and beat him to the punch. Kurse blocked and dodged Thor's blows and beat him to the punch. Therefore: Kurse > Hulk in speed, reflexes and fighting skill.

In the end, while Kurse vs. Thanos is debatable, Kurse vs. Hulk is clearly in Kurse's favor. Josh is stupid to think Hulk can beat Kurse in straight h2h. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Josh claimed Juggernaut can beat Kurse just as a way to lowball Kurse.

That debate i won, since in the end you failed to counter my evidence and never replied. And actually, i believe more people backed Thanos laughing out loud

Nibedicus

Josh_Alexander

Nibedicus
But it's quantifiable. A solid evidence and not guessing/speculating.

Okay, so you do realize that external factors do come to play, and that just because you 'win a race' or 'fight' doesn't mean you are stronger.

I agree, you defended your case pretty well.

I wanted to make this thread because i wanted to understand why people see Kurse the way they do.

With this i have a new perspective over the character. Thanks very much for your participation

Nice debate man thumb up

Few proof is absolute proof in a fictional setting. We just make do with the best we get under the circumstances.

Anyway, good talk. Have a nice day, man. smile

thumb up

Josh_Alexander
Few proof is absolute proof in a fictional setting. We just make do with the best we get under the circumstances.

Anyway, good talk. Have a nice day, man. smile

thumb up

We do that's right.

Thanks you too man!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.