What is the most probable afterlife?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage

Kurk
It would be similar to that of Darth Bane

Flyattractor
Oblivion.

/Thread

NewGuy01
Considering that, upon death, the organ responsible for our consciousness stops working, I'm pretty sure it's not going to be taking on any form. That's not really the same as nonexistence, though; what happens to "you" depends on how you die, I'd think.

Adam_PoE
You cannot calculate probabilities without other afterlives to compare.

Mindship
As empirically measured?
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Oblivion.

/Thread

Wonder Man
Friendship is the most profitable life and afterlife.

Wonder Man
Ask and you shall receive.

CroftAlice
I'm planning on coming back

Wonder Man
plan on this time

Damborgson
Honestly?

We're the most special of all the primates that preceeded us, but we're still animals...unless there's a chimpanzee afterlife I don't see how us being vastly smarter and feeling mean we get to live on after death.

So , what is the most probable afterlife? Nothingness.

If it turns out there is one, which would make most sense? Nirvana, in my opinion.

Eon Blue

Grand-Moff-Gav
Of course, the most probable is not necessarily the one that there will actually be.

changeorg
I hope the afterlife is not real. Just living one life is already enough for a lifetime!

Bentley
Would any life without continuing with essentially the same traits you had in life would be consider an afterlife?

Most replies in these thread don't even adopt this posture, so they are obviously missing the point entirely.

I think the most logical afterlife would be to become the speech we had in life. Living narration, living poetry.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Bentley
I think the most logical afterlife would be to become the speech we had in life. Living narration, living poetry. Definitely the most logical. Definitely. Nothing illogical about that.

Bentley
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Definitely the most logical. Definitely. Nothing illogical about that.

There is a gulf between the "most logical thing" in an illogical subset of posibilities and not having any illogical element into it.

Just for clarification, I bet someone smart and sensible could come up with a more logical suggestion for an afterlife if they took the time to reply. This was, as per my own permutation of words, just my line of thought.

The Ellimist
Probably some version of the simulation hypothesis being true

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Probably some version of the simulation hypothesis being true Probably. I don't know if finding out we're in a simulation would make me feel relieved or utterly terrified.

Flyattractor
Much like Old Date...You will one day be DELETED!

Bentley
The simulation hypothesis is bad maths at its finest. Might as well believe in Zeus at that point.

Lord Lucien
The simulation hypothesis is bad maths at its finest. Might as well believe in Zeus at that point. 2 plus 2 is 4. Minus 1 that's 3 KWIK MAFFS!

The Ellimist
The simulation hypothesis is bad maths at its finest. Might as well believe in Zeus at that point.

How is it bad math?

Bentley
Well, for starters, if perfect simulations are possible, so are imperfect simulations. By sheer numbers you can realize there are more imperfect simulations than perfect ones, after all this needs to be tested and explored, a universe doesn't necessarily gains anything from running superior simulation.

In any number of those imperfect simulations a perfect simulation will be impossible. Hence the highest possibility when you leave in a simulation is to live in a world that cannot have any simulation and thus the simulation hypothesis is technically false for your universe and for any simulation done from that universe.

Flyattractor
"Do you want to Delete Old Data?" "Old Data Deleted"

The Ellimist
Well, for starters, if perfect simulations are possible, so are imperfect simulations. By sheer numbers you can realize there are more imperfect simulations than perfect ones, after all this needs to be tested and explored, a universe doesn't necessarily gains anything from running superior simulation.

In any number of those imperfect simulations a perfect simulation will be impossible. Hence the highest possibility when you leave in a simulation is to live in a world that cannot have any simulation and thus the simulation hypothesis is technically false for your universe and for any simulation done from that universe.

But all that needs to be true is for there to be more simulated realities than real ones. How many simulated realities that cannot themselves support simulated realities strikes me as irrelevant to the probabilities. The ratio isn't perfect simulations over imperfect simulations, it's simulations that match our observable universe over base realities.

Lord Lucien
And who's to say this isn't an imperfect simulation? And who are we to judge if it is or isn't it? If the programmer's goal is to create a reality with altered rules and physics, or a reality built for them to manipulate at will, then perhaps the point is to see what the inhabitants of an imperfect simulation will do with it. Maybe try to create their own?

I usually hear the simulation hypothesis discussed as if it's humans (or future humans) doing the simulating. I like to wonder about some other species in the Universe doing it. Maybe simulating an entire galaxy and seeing what goes on inside it, in which case we could be just a tiny byproduct of their parameters. Maybe even one they don't care about.

Bentley
Originally posted by The Ellimist
How many simulated realities that cannot themselves support simulated realities strikes me as irrelevant to the probabilities. The ratio isn't perfect simulations over imperfect simulations, it's simulations that match our observable universe over base realities.

Part of the assumption is that perfect simulations are practiced and common. But if we aknowledge the possibility of imperfect simulations then the assumption of that practice being common would be false (within the simulation) as they'd be impossible. So we arrive with a condition that cannot be disproven if true (as we could just be in a bad simulation) and is less likely to be confirmed if true also. That calls into question how relevant it is that these practices are "common" or not.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.