Darth Malak vs Exar Kun

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
1. Sabers

2. Force

3. All-out

Geistalt
Malak, assuming he's powered by the dark taint from the Jedi on the Star Forge.

Azronger
I have no clue why people assume amps as the norm when it comes to Malak.

Kun stomps

DarthAnt66
I'd lean Malak.

Haschwalth
Kun.

AncientPower
Kun, absolutely.

Freedon Nadd
Originally posted by Geistalt
Malak, assuming he's powered by the dark taint from the Jedi on the Star Forge.

There we go again.

What Malak did to those Jedi - was draining their life force to replenish his own. That's all.

There's no Force boost.

MythLord
Which Malak?

ILS
Depends how powerful the SF amp is.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
I'd lean Malak.

Azronger
Originally posted by ILS
Depends how powerful the SF amp is.

We know that factually it is the Star Forge that gives Darth Malak "powers far greater than even Exar Kun." So without the Star Forge, Malak does not have "powers far greater than even Exar Kun." Therefore, even if he were more power powerful than Kun off the Star Forge, he is not "far" more powerful, and the two are canonically close in Force power. Then we factor in Kun's wider arrangement of different abilities, some of which Malak has no answer for, and his hilariously superior dueling skills, and we have ourselves a clear victory in Kun's favor regardless of whether Malak is more powerful or not.

Kun's amulet gauntlets are also external boosters that add onto his natural level, and since they're part of his standard arsenal that he carries on his person 24/7, not unlike a lightsaber, I don't see why we should disallow them. With them, he's undoubtedly more powerful than standard Malak, and nothing forbids him from being more powerful than Star Forge Malak either, since as I said, they're completely separate entities from Kun himself and not apart of his internal power; any quotes calling Star Forge Malak more powerful than Kun would not factor them in unless specified otherwise.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-u66Gohy9HHU/WtyLmi1W77I/AAAAAAAAMYk/KloAtveea2IVFsO6UrP0Mddmrcc8x939ACL0BGAYYCw/h218/Exar%2527s%2Bamulets%2Bare%2Bamps%2B3.PNG

Above we see that "With every pulse of his anger, the amulet doubles the power of its discharge" meaning that the longer Kun keeps firing, the more power he outputs. In a matter of seconds, Malak would have to deal with 2x Kun's power. A few seconds later, 4x Kun's power. Then 8x, 16x, etc. Unless someone seriously believes Malak even with the Star Forge is even over twice as strong as Kun, he's going to get overwhelmed within seconds. Standard Malak gets one-shot.

AncientPower
Kun is outright more powerful, Malak's supposed supremacy is nothing more than a lack of context and apparent selective reading.

LordOfTheLight
Originally posted by Azronger
We know that factually it is the Star Forge that gives Darth Malak "powers far greater than even Exar Kun." So without the Star Forge, Malak does not have "powers far greater than even Exar Kun." Therefore, even if he were more power powerful than Kun off the Star Forge, he is not "far" more powerful, and the two are canonically close in Force power. Then we factor in Kun's wider arrangement of different abilities, some of which Malak has no answer for, and his hilariously superior dueling skills, and we have ourselves a clear victory in Kun's favor regardless of whether Malak is more powerful or not.

Kun's amulet gauntlets are also external boosters that add onto his natural level, and since they're part of his standard arsenal that he carries on his person 24/7, not unlike a lightsaber, I don't see why we should disallow them. With them, he's undoubtedly more powerful than standard Malak, and nothing forbids him from being more powerful than Star Forge Malak either, since as I said, they're completely separate entities from Kun himself and not apart of his internal power; any quotes calling Star Forge Malak more powerful than Kun would not factor them in unless specified otherwise.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-u66Gohy9HHU/WtyLmi1W77I/AAAAAAAAMYk/KloAtveea2IVFsO6UrP0Mddmrcc8x939ACL0BGAYYCw/h218/Exar%2527s%2Bamulets%2Bare%2Bamps%2B3.PNG

Above we see that "With every pulse of his anger, the amulet doubles the power of its discharge" meaning that the longer Kun keeps firing, the more power he outputs. In a matter of seconds, Malak would have to deal with 2x Kun's power. A few seconds later, 4x Kun's power. Then 8x, 16x, etc. Unless someone seriously believes Malak even with the Star Forge is even over twice as strong as Kun, he's going to get overwhelmed within seconds. Standard Malak gets one-shot.

There is no reason to believe that Kun's amulets aren't part of the quote, since you yourself said that they are such an integral part of him as a lightsaber is to a Jedi. In that case, they are undoubtedly under the quote, since lightsabers are always a factor when deciding a Jedi's formidability and why they are so good, by a general theme in SW here.

And no, the quote says that Kun's anger "pulsing" is what causes the power to double and the "pulsing" referred to here, can mean two things here

-Pulsing as in a rhythmic sense like a sinusoidal wave

-Pulsing as in a general and immediate surge

I "highly" doubt that the intent of the word in this context is the former, and in either case, nobody's anger keeps rising and dipping like a heart pulse so it is discarded anyways.

Going by the second, and more likely case, Kun's anger increasing is what causes the surge in power and this makes sense too. Anger gives darksiders power and logically, more anger means more power. This also makes sense because you cannot just amplify power by maintaining the same input state here.

So, Kun's anger needs to keep increasing in order for the amulet to supply more power and it is highly unlikely that his anger will increase noticeably over the course of a duel.

Geistalt
No; it says the amulet doubles the power.

Freedon Nadd
The description states that the angrier Kun becomes, the more potent the blasts do too. So, nowhere does it say that the gauntlet amulet gives him a Force boost.

Geistalt
"The amulet doubles the power of its discharge!"

ares834
Yes, like Nadd said it's making his blasts more potent.

NewGuy01
Not to agree with Nadd, but that's not what that line says. It's the amulet that is releasing the blast, not Kun's hand. The fact that the amulet's discharge doubles in response to Kun's rage spiking is a matter of course.

Geistalt
It reads that it's the amulet that doubles the power of each blast, though.

Azronger
Originally posted by LordOfTheLight
There is no reason to believe that Kun's amulets aren't part of the quote, since you yourself said that they are such an integral part of him as a lightsaber is to a Jedi. In that case, they are undoubtedly under the quote, since lightsabers are always a factor when deciding a Jedi's formidability and why they are so good, by a general theme in SW here.

And no, the quote says that Kun's anger "pulsing" is what causes the power to double and the "pulsing" referred to here, can mean two things here

-Pulsing as in a rhythmic sense like a sinusoidal wave

-Pulsing as in a general and immediate surge

I "highly" doubt that the intent of the word in this context is the former, and in either case, nobody's anger keeps rising and dipping like a heart pulse so it is discarded anyways.

Going by the second, and more likely case, Kun's anger increasing is what causes the surge in power and this makes sense too. Anger gives darksiders power and logically, more anger means more power. This also makes sense because you cannot just amplify power by maintaining the same input state here.

So, Kun's anger needs to keep increasing in order for the amulet to supply more power and it is highly unlikely that his anger will increase noticeably over the course of a duel.

Except that the power granted by the amulets isn't analogous to a Jedi and their lightsaber. The amulets are something he carries with him all the time but he can only focus his will through them "temporarily" as per the Tales of the Jedi Companion. As I said, they're amplifiers; not an integral part of the power he is capable of summonning at any time.

The text in the panel itself mentions that "With every pulse of his anger, the amulet doubles the power of its discharge," implying there's more than one "pulse," and even two would translate to a 4x increase in the blasts' potency. It's completely irrelevant whether his anger keeps rising a little or significantly when only a few pulses produce such a massively potent result, but the narration in the comic does make note of how "Exar Kun suddenly feels his anger multiply a thousand times... then a hundred thousand times" meaning quite a monumental increase overall.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--BazzTl1UvU/WtyLjIyZPwI/AAAAAAAAMYk/CVD4mxxhU4QGHqfcTw5LKTxGIkO576OGACL0BGAYYCw/h761/Exar%2527s%2Bamulets%2Bare%2Bamps%2B2.PNG

As far as I see, even Star Forge Malak would be obliterated in short order. He may start the fight more powerful than Kun, but the latter's power would literally multiply by 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 etc. times with each "pulse" of anger he feels, and the amulets would cause what anger is already inside him to skyrocket by "a thousand times... then a hundred thousand times." It's a loop that feeds itself.

DarthAnt66
Az acting like Malak is just going to lay down on the floor and take a nap as Kun fires laser beams at him.

Azronger
And what else is he going to do here exactly? Dodging would only delay the inevitable, so Malak might as well just take a nap and get it over with.

DarthAnt66
I know you're a terrible critical thinker but, just for once, *think.*

Kun's amulets are blatantly ill-equipped for direct fights. They're not portrayed as something that can be released in a split-second like a Force push. They're clearly something that requires room and time - especially between blasts. You seem to have a mental picture of your head of Kun's amulets firing like a machine gun with each bullet being twice as more powerful, but that's not at all reflected in the actual material. Consider that Kun would have stalemated Droma for hours despite this uber amulet, indicating his inability to use it effectively in close-quarters combat (in contrast to powers Malak wields, like telekinesis and Force stun, which he has utilized beautifully in mid-swing against Revan).

AncientPower
I like how you're pretending to know how Force blast works, if fodder like Aleema and Ommin could unleash similar attacks instantly then Kun would have a vastly easier time of it.

Kun clearly wanted to defeat Ulic in a duel, because he was a rival. The same thing Kun afforded to his former master Vodo instead of one-shotting him like he did to Odan-Urr.

But given no such mentality exists here, Kun's going to utilise his vast array of one-shot tier techniques and Malak isn't surviving against a blatantly better Sith in all means of comparison.

DarthAnt66
I imagine I have an idea. Ommin's amulet is distinct from Kun's in application - it seems to focus his Waves of Hatred ability, not produce blasts of Force energy. Regardless, Ommin never showed the ability to use it as Kun would have to against Malak regardless - unless you take firing it once and being overwhelmed noteworthy.

I find highly unlikely that Kun, directly after getting an amulet and a host of Sith knowledge, going off to challenge his dark-side rival, is going to purely limit the competition to lightsaber skill from the start. That doesn't even make sense - he'd obviously want to also test Droma's proficiency in Sith magics and the like.

DarthAnt66
(That's not to mention Kun used "all the Sith tricks he learned" against Vodo, so it's likely he tried the amulets and it failed).

AncientPower
Except it's specifically referred to as a duel in numerous sources and that it would've gone on as a duel until they were exhausted. It's about honor.

Kun's stated to have outmatched Vodo in all areas of combat, that's pretty clear cut and you singling out one source on the matter isn't changing that.

DarthAnt66
Being a duel doesn't exclude the idea of Force usage. Yoda vs Sidious and Revan vs Malak are also "duels."

Doesn't address the point, though. My point is the amulets can't be applied in the way Azronger is saying they can, not that Kun simply has to be more powerful than the opponent to use it effectively.

AncientPower
Except we have absolutely no evidence of a Force exchange in that fight.

It was weilded in exactly that manner in the only scene we see him use it. And given his power multiplies over the years after this, he's going to be unleashing a far more powerful blast right from the start. Not that Force blast is the only offensive power that Kun can use here with frightening success.

Trocity
Originally posted by AncientPower
Kun clearly wanted to defeat Ulic in a duel, because he was a rival. The same thing Kun afforded to his former master Vodo instead of one-shotting him like he did to Odan-Urr.

But given no such mentality exists here, Kun's going to utilise his vast array of one-shot tier techniques and Malak isn't surviving against a blatantly better Sith in all means of comparison.

Why didn't he just annihilate Ood Bnar? Any reason he wanted to duel him as well?

AncientPower
Because he was taunting him, as they both knew Ood didn't stand a chance in a duel. Then Ood went super saiyan via Ossus and summoned a barrier strong enough to defend against multiple super nova waves that evidently tore up cities and arguably mountains. Though Ood couldn't properly damage Kun with TK despite this power source.

One Big Mob
Are we under the assumption that Kun can raise his rage 100s of thousands of times in a normal fight, which only then can he start doubling his power? Or do we assume it was just him acclimating to his newfound artifact and falling completely to the darkside that allowed him to do this?
Because that was about the maddest he ever got, and it would make sense that this became his new normal as opposed to an amp he can bring out at any time. That never happened again, and only happened once he got the amulet that he didn't know how to control.

He went into an uncontrollable rage when he put on the gauntlet because he hated everything more than anything else and then his power started doubling.

Also amping his rage hundreds of thousands of times is pretty obvious hyperbole. If taken literally, that means Kun had to amp his rage hundreds of thousands of times, and only then could he start doubling powers every pulse. Which would be impractical to say the least.

To back it up becoming his new normal, he one shotted Freedon Nadd with less rage. There's no way he went back to what, 8-16 times less powerful than when he defeated the Wyrm.
You'd think there'd be more emphasis on this huge amp if it wasn't a one off thing. Maybe the proof exist, but even the next issue puts no importance on it and was speaking of his dark side power being amplified through it.

https://i.imgur.com/15Urrtb.jpg

And if he can just amp blasts to a no limits fallacy mid battle, then I don't see why he wouldn't eventually defeat Sidious with a 256x blast?

ILS
The reason Kun oneshotted Aleema and only dueled Ulic is the same reason exactly the same thing happens in every other duel where you swap out Force blasts for telekinesis.

Aleema is fodder, Ulic isn't.

This thread is purely a question of who is more powerful. There is nothing particularly special about Kun's amulet blasts, aside from the fact they're better at breaking stone than other powers. In terms of combat application it's the same questions being asked with a new coat of paint.

Geistalt
Kunahu akbar

X7_0NoRHOEM

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.