Who is more heroic: Captain America vs. Thor

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FrothByte
Inspired by the Who is more heroic; Thor or Superman thread, let's now compare Captain America and Thor, as I believe they're actually quite similar.

Both have willingly sacrificed their lives for the benefit of others. Both have led teams into battle: Cap with the Howling Commandoes and Avengers, Thor with the Revengers and the Warriors 3 + Sif. Both have no issues killing but will try to avoid it if possible. Both have gone against rules and laws to follow their own moral compass: Cap in going against the Accords plus protecting Bucky, Thor in going against Odin's orders plus bending rules for Loki. Both even have a momentous bicep-flexing scene.

So... who's more heroic?

NotAllThatEvil
I think cap is more heroic. Thor odinson was naturally the biggest stringest dude on the block. Cap was two steps away from being a cripple, but still wanted to fight. Not to kill Nazis, but to protect and serve. I feel like trying to help even when you know it's helpless is pretty neat

FrothByte
Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
I think cap is more heroic. Thor odinson was naturally the biggest stringest dude on the block. Cap was two steps away from being a cripple, but still wanted to fight. Not to kill Nazis, but to protect and serve. I feel like trying to help even when you know it's helpless is pretty neat

I think they both had their challenges. Steve had almost nothing in the beginning, not even a healthy normal body. Thor had almost everything but then it got taken away from him, losing his powers, his wealth and status, etc.

quanchi112

relentless1
Cap easy

quanchi112
Originally posted by relentless1
Cap easy Based on?

playa1258
Thor the MCU's greatest hero.

WolvesofBabylon
Captain America easily. Cap is a better leader and more inspiring as well.

quanchi112
Originally posted by WolvesofBabylon
Captain America easily. Cap is a better leader and more inspiring as well. Based on? Explain yourself, kiddo.

CPT Space Bomb
Thor saved the Universe in TDW. He saved multiple realms in Thor 1 from the bifrost. He saved Asgardians from Hela and thus other worlds that she would have conquered. And yet he's still teamed up and saved Earth several times. I gotta give the edge to Thor. Cap is every bit as brave and heroic but lacks the ability to be the hero Thor can be.

Arachnid1
Cap for sure. The guy is the physical embodiment of the Army Values.

SquallX

WolvesofBabylon
Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
Thor saved the Universe in TDW. He saved multiple realms in Thor 1 from the bifrost. He saved Asgardians from Hela and thus other worlds that she would have conquered. And yet he's still teamed up and saved Earth several times. I gotta give the edge to Thor. Cap is every bit as brave and heroic but lacks the ability to be the hero Thor can be.

Thats where we differ. To me being heroic isnt just about being powerful. Its about leadership, integrity, character, being able to inspire people and stand up for whats right. I will give Hemsworth a ton of credit because up until Ragnarok this wouldnt even have been close but Ragnarok and iW, Thor has grown a great deal as a character. Prior to that he was really just the muscle and had no real character depth.

First Avenger, Winter Soldier, Civil war, Avengers 1 and 2, IW. No matter the movie Cap(along with Stark) have been portrayed as the leaders, as the heart and soul of the whole MCU. Thats why in the next movie one of if not both of those two will die. It will have the biggest impact because of what the characters stand for.

Again, I think Thor is a great hero, just not the same as Cap to me and what I define a hero to be.

FrothByte
To me being heroic isnt just about being powerful. Its about leadership, integrity, character, being able to inspire people and stand up for whats right.

You might also want to take into consideration their accomplishments. You'd probably want to back a hero who has a good win record and the impact their victories make. I mean, both Thor and Cap have great accomplishments, just thought I'd point out that it's not only the attitude but also the results that matter.

ares834
Cap easily IMO.

relentless1
Cap fights those that he KNOWS he can't beat and yet he fights on anyways; Cap is the better hero because he is vulnerable and he can die but he decides to sacrifice his wants and dreams to do better for mankind. That is a Hero

Thor is a prince/king who saved his people sure but he strikes me more as a guy cleaning up his own mess most of the time; the only time he was on Caps level of heroism was only used to prove himself worthy of Mjolnir.

Cap give more to the struggle than Thor does, that is why hes a better hero.

Now lets hear your explanation Quan, if you can manage one

Silent Master
By your own standard, you just proved Thor is more of a hero, after all. he proved himself worthy of Mjolnir. whereas Cap was shown to not be worthy.

NotAllThatEvil
Cap moved the hammer, he just stopped to not hurt thor's feelings. Because cap is a true bro

ares834
Originally posted by Silent Master
By your own standard, you just proved Thor is more of a hero, after all. he proved himself worthy of Mjolnir. whereas Cap was shown to not be worthy.

How does being worth mean you are the better hero? We don't know the exact specifics of the worthy enchantment after all.

FrothByte
To me, this is how this situation feels like:

Do you root for the underdog? The one who's life has been one big uphill climb, the one who came from nothing and yet continuously pushes himself higher, to defeat opponents above his weight class, giving everything he has to the fight because he can't sit idly by and do nothing?

Or do you root for the champion? The one who has everything to lose and yet continuously puts everything on the line, continuously throws himself into the fire even if it risks costing him everything, even if he has nothing prove, because he can't sit idly by and let other people take his burden?

The Ellimist
I think a problem with Cap is that he's not apparently willing to sacrifice people close to him for the sake of the greater good, and there may be times when that's necessary.

Silent Master
Originally posted by ares834
How does being worth mean you are the better hero? We don't know the exact specifics of the worthy enchantment after all.

I stated that I was using relentless1's standard, so why are you asking me to explain his reasoning? I can't read his mind, so you would be better served asking him.

WolvesofBabylon
Originally posted by FrothByte
You might also want to take into consideration their accomplishments. You'd probably want to back a hero who has a good win record and the impact their victories make. I mean, both Thor and Cap have great accomplishments, just thought I'd point out that it's not only the attitude but also the results that matter.

Fair point. It is just hard for me quantify one feat more heroic than another. Wherher your a normal person who runs into a burning house to save a family or if your Thor and saving the world.

It really just splitting hairs between these two.

quanchi112

cdtm

Worthy by viking standards.

And it's entirely his fault he was unworthy in the first place.

Cap is clearly the far bigger inspiration, given the obstacles he had to overcome, the respect he commands, the unshakable values he holds..

Cap is more worthy then Odin, Thor, or Mjolnir. He's the MCU's Chuck Norris, John Wayne, and Statue of Liberty rolled into one.. An icon, symbol, and definition of heroism.

Put another way, Cap could lose all of his physical gifts, his costume, his shield, and he'd be no less the hero. Because he isn't defined by his abilities or garb. He's the one that defines all that, by his actions.

The fact Thor struggled so hard to get back the hammer is proof enough his hammer defines him, and not the other way around. Without Mjolnir or godhood, who is Thor?

Just some guy, you know?

quanchi112

Josh_Alexander
Captain America easily. Cap is a better leader and more inspiring as well.

thumb up Cap is the most heroic.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by cdtm

Cap is clearly the far bigger inspiration, given the obstacles he had to overcome, the respect he commands, the unshakable values he holds..

Cap is more worthy then Odin, Thor, or Mjolnir. He's the MCU's Chuck Norris, John Wayne, and Statue of Liberty rolled into one.. An icon, symbol, and definition of heroism.

Put another way, Cap could lose all of his physical gifts, his costume, his shield, and he'd be no less the hero. Because he isn't defined by his abilities or garb. He's the one that defines all that, by his actions.

The fact Thor struggled so hard to get back the hammer is proof enough his hammer defines him, and not the other way around. Without Mjolnir or godhood, who is Thor?

Just some guy, you know?

Completely agree.

Arachnid1

Just some guy, you know? thumb up

Josh_Alexander

Just some guy, you know?

Let's admit CDTM made a hell of a comparison. I don't know if it was a story or a poem laughing out loud

FrothByte

Just some guy, you know?

Just want to point out that Thor actually had bigger and more numerous obstacles to overcome.

Josh_Alexander
Just want to point out that Thor actually had bigger and more numerous obstacles to overcome.

Cap was a skinny soldier who was bullied by everyone and who no one thought would even make it!

How can Thor Odinson prince of Asgard have bigger obstacles to overcome? laughing out loud

TheVaultDweller
According to Mjolnir, Thor.

CPT Space Bomb
Cap moved the hammer, he just stopped to not hurt thor's feelings. Because cap is a true bro You might not be wrong. I've thought this myself before.

I still take Thor. Cap was always the kind of guy who wanted to fight the bully. Thor had to learn that HE was the bully and change his ways. Throughout his entire arc he's had more character development. He's sacrificed himself more times than Cap as well. They're both fantastic heroes though so it's kinda like pulling hairs.

NemeBro
The honest truth is that Cap never had to go through Thor's development and learn to not be the bully like Thor because he was pretty much the perfect hero from the start. Thor's development is just him coming closer and closer to reaching the ideal Cap set.

CPT Space Bomb
Originally posted by NemeBro
The honest truth is that Cap never had to go through Thor's development and learn to not be the bully like Thor because he was pretty much the perfect hero from the start. Thor's development is just him coming closer and closer to reaching the ideal Cap set. I just personally care for hero that faces more diversity and comes out better for it. I feel like Thor has overcome MUCH more than Cap. They've both been through shit for sure, but I'll take Thor in a very close race. Cap is the better leader though, for sure.

FrothByte
Originally posted by Josh_Alexander

Cap was a skinny soldier who was bullied by everyone and who no one thought would even make it!

How can Thor Odinson prince of Asgard have bigger obstacles to overcome? laughing out loud

Not saying Thor wins here but...

Thor lost his powers, status and home, had to suck it up, learn humility and sacrifice himself before he gained it all back. In comparison, Cap took a serum.

Thor had to destroy the Bifrost, ruining his race's ability for insta-travel and ruining his chance to go back to the woman he loved just to save a race that he hated.

His mother was killed, his father was killed, his brother was killed, his bestfriend was killed, his weapon was destroyed, his hair was cut, his eye was taken out, his entire planet was destroyed and majority of his remaining people massacred... yet he continued fighting and didn't give in to despair.

How exactly has Cap conquered more obstacles than this? Cap is more heroic in other aspects, he has better leadership skills, he's more inspirational, he gives better speeches, etc.... but in terms of conquering more obstacles he has nothing against Thor. Cap really didn't have that much to lose in the first place. Thor had much more to lose and indeed lost them.

NemeBro
Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
I just personally care for hero that faces more diversity and comes out better for it. I feel like Thor has overcome MUCH more than Cap. They've both been through shit for sure, but I'll take Thor in a very close race. Cap is the better leader though, for sure. You can certainly prefer Thor as a character or hero to Cap, sure, but when objectively analyzing who I'd prefer to be the one responsible for the security of the world, disregarding the frankly massive difference in their power? Cap is the honest answer IMHO. He's incorruptible, which Thor provably isn't.

NotAllThatEvil
Well to be fair, cap's father, mother, and "brother" also died and he did watch the woman he love die, and still keep fighting. He willingly gave up his weapon to try to save what little comradery he and tiny had left. Had the country he loved turn it's back on him and call him a criminal. Cap had to earn his serum(the general wanted to give it to one of the brawny fighter types in his regime) which included sacrificing himself with the grenade.

Cap never had to save someone he hated because I don't think cap is capable of hating anyone. He was one of the first to accept wanda and pietro despite the mind shinaigans

Silent Master
Yes, they died. Thor's were murdered, several of them right in front of Thor. entirely different types of grief.

NotAllThatEvil
Didn't they die in the war? Tgat counts as being killed. Odin just died of old age (?)

FrothByte
Well to be fair, cap's father, mother, and "brother" also died and he did watch the woman he love die, and still keep fighting. He willingly gave up his weapon to try to save what little comradery he and tiny had left. Had the country he loved turn it's back on him and call him a criminal. Cap had to earn his serum(the general wanted to give it to one of the brawny fighter types in his regime) which included sacrificing himself with the grenade.

Cap never had to save someone he hated because I don't think cap is capable of hating anyone. He was one of the first to accept wanda and pietro despite the mind shinaigans

There's a HUGE difference when you see someone die of violence vs. dying from old age. One is a lot more traumatic, especially when they're killed in front of your eyes. Cap's weapon was not a magical weapon that allowed him to focus his power which he'd been using for centuries. Having your country call you a criminal is not quite as painful as making the decision to destroy your entire planet and then seeing your people massacred to near extinction. "Earning" the serum by showing you had good intentions is not quite the same as being banished, depowered, humiliated then having to learn to suck it all up and then actually sacrificing yourself.

Note, I am not saying Cap didn't go through some tough sh!t. I'm just saying that whatever obstacle Cap went through, Thor went through more. That doesn't mean I believe Thor wins, because Cap excels in other areas that Thor does not, but if we're only comparing traumatic experiences and challenges then Thor wins that category.

Silent Master
I don't remember FA stating how Caps parents died. but the woman he loved died of old age and we haven't seen how Cap will react to Bucky's death yet. even then Bucky just faded away. that's different then seeing someone stab or choke a loved one to death while you're forced to watch.

NotAllThatEvil
Thor got to live a couple thousand years as a royal celebrity. Cap was born weak and depowerd and was constantly getting bullied and beat because of it. That feels a bit more traumatic to me.

Odin died of old age. Both of Steve's parents died in the war.

Silent Master
There's a HUGE difference when you see someone die of violence vs. dying from old age. One is a lot more traumatic, especially when they're killed in front of your eyes. Cap's weapon was not a magical weapon that allowed him to focus his power which he'd been using for centuries. Having your country call you a criminal is not quite as painful as making the decision to destroy your entire planet and then seeing your people massacred to near extinction. "Earning" the serum by showing you had good intentions is not quite the same as being banished, depowered, humiliated then having to learn to suck it all up and then actually sacrificing yourself.

Note, I am not saying Cap didn't go through some tough sh!t. I'm just saying that whatever obstacle Cap went through, Thor went through more. That doesn't mean I believe Thor wins, because Cap excels in other areas that Thor does not, but if we're only comparing traumatic experiences and challenges then Thor wins that category.

True, I haven't said Thor wins either. I'm just commenting that it's clear that Thor has been through a lot more and higher level sh!t.

NotAllThatEvil
I don't remember FA stating how Caps parents died. but the woman he loved died of old age and we haven't seen how Cap will react to Bucky's death yet. even then Bucky just faded away. that's different then seeing someone stab or choke a loved one to death while you're forced to watch.
The train scene in the first one? Bucky was assumed dead for 70 years. Cap tried to drink away his sorrows.

Silent Master
I'd have to go and watch the movie again, but Cap trying to drink away his sorrow from seeing his friend fall to his supposed death is quite a bit different than Thor, who didn't even break stride and continued the fight.

FrothByte
Thor got to live a couple thousand years as a royal celebrity. Cap was born weak and depowerd and was constantly getting bullied and beat because of it. That feels a bit more traumatic to me.

Odin died of old age. Both of Steve's parents died in the war.

No, Odin didn't just die of old age. Loki's spell had quite a bit to do with it. I don't recall mention of how Steve's parents died. Where was it mentioned?

Many people are born in weak bodies, or at least weaker than average. Many people are bullied and beaten. Most of these people either learn to live with it or work hard to become stronger and tougher to stop the bullying. Cap got a shortcut and became stronger and tougher from a serum.

Thor still had to work to become a warrior. In fact we even see him struggle to realize his full power. Plus, how many people do you know of who get completely stripped of their powers, title, familial ties and get banished from their home?

Which do you think is more difficult? To start with nothing, struggle, then get everything with a snap? Or to start with everything, lose everything, then struggle to acquire them back?

P.S. - don't make me do this, I like Cap. I don't like having to belittle his achievements because they're great achievements. But blowing them out of proportion to lowball Thor is just wrong.

NotAllThatEvil
Personally, I feel if have everything and lose it, you still have a platform/base to work from. Having nothing but working for it shows a lot more drive and dedication. That's just me though

FrothByte
Personally, I feel if have everything and lose it, you still have a platform/base to work from. Having nothing but working for it shows a lot more drive and dedication. That's just me though

Yeah, we'll just have to disagree on that. A person who has nothing to lose won't have as difficult a time making sacrifices as someone who has everything to lose.

CPT Space Bomb
I mean guys, if we're talking about who's LOST more it's not even close.

Cap lost Agent Carter, which sucked yes. He also lost his parents when he was very young.

Thor lost his: Father, Mother, Brother, all his original friends, over half of his race, his planet, his eye, his pride, his girlfriend and his most trusted companion; Mjolnir.

Thor has lost much, MUCH more than anyone else in the MCU and his resolve has only gotten stronger. He could easily just give up from grief but he's decided to keep forging on and for my money, his line of : "I'd rather be a great man than a great King"is pretty telling.

quanchi112

h1a8
Tie

Both will easily give up their life to protect others.

quanchi112
Originally posted by h1a8
Tie

Both will easily give up their life to protect others. So anyone who would give up their life to protect others are equal.

laughing out loud

NotAllThatEvil
Yeah, we'll just have to disagree on that. A person who has nothing to lose won't have as difficult a time making sacrifices as someone who has everything to lose.

Well it was thor's own fault tgat he lost everything. You have to take tgat into account

quanchi112

NotAllThatEvil
I was referring to his powers in the first movie.

quanchi112
I was referring to his powers in the first movie. He was punished but showed he was up to the challenge and learned humility and mercy. Huge emotional growth for the powerful hero without powers. Cap is great but Thor is greater.

FrothByte
Well it was thor's own fault tgat he lost everything. You have to take tgat into account

Only in Thor 1. But yes, that was his fault, which is why he's gone through more growth than Cap.

CPT Space Bomb
Well it was thor's own fault tgat he lost everything. You have to take tgat into account How is it Thor's fault that his father died and brought Hela into the realm? How is it his fault that his mother died? How is it his fault that Thanos snapped Loki's neck in front of him? None of these are his fault. NONE. And he SAVED more Asgardians than he had any right to by having them flee Asgard. Thor's losses were put on him by Fate. Just as fate willed him to forge Stormbreaker and nearly kill Thanos. Fate has a part to play in Thor's tale yet, but ya, Thor's losses aren't on him.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
According to Mjolnir, Thor.

And since when "being worthy" is equal to being a hero?

As far as am concerned 'Being Worthy' could be taken as many things.

Josh_Alexander
Not saying Thor wins here but...

Thor lost his powers, status and home, had to suck it up, learn humility and sacrifice himself before he gained it all back. In comparison, Cap took a serum.

Thor had to destroy the Bifrost, ruining his race's ability for insta-travel and ruining his chance to go back to the woman he loved just to save a race that he hated.

His mother was killed, his father was killed, his brother was killed, his bestfriend was killed, his weapon was destroyed, his hair was cut, his eye was taken out, his entire planet was destroyed and majority of his remaining people massacred... yet he continued fighting and didn't give in to despair.

How exactly has Cap conquered more obstacles than this? Cap is more heroic in other aspects, he has better leadership skills, he's more inspirational, he gives better speeches, etc.... but in terms of conquering more obstacles he has nothing against Thor. Cap really didn't have that much to lose in the first place. Thor had much more to lose and indeed lost them.

And yet that is Thor's fault. Thor had a priviladge life! He was a pampered child with all the benefits of being the son of Odin!

The only difficulty he ever had was recovering Mjolinr, which in first place he himself lost for his ignorance and pride!

Furthermore, Thor is the king of Asgard. Saving Asgard from Hela and Malekith is HIS DUTY, whereas in the other hand, Captain America owes Earth nothing!

Sure Cap just took a syrup, but there were 7Billion other people who could have took the syrup and yet Cap was the worthiest and most-deserving one.

Difference here is, Odinson is a priviledge hero who has duties to serve as King of Asgard, whereas Cap was a poor sick and bullied guy who earned everything himself

Odinson is heroic, but Cap is just more.

Josh_Alexander
Yes, they died. Thor's were murdered, several of them right in front of Thor. entirely different types of grief.

Being the Heir of Asgard commands responsibilities such as expecting threats from other empires, in no way is that being heroic.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by quanchi112
He was punished but showed he was up to the challenge and learned humility and mercy. Huge emotional growth for the powerful hero without powers. Cap is great but Thor is greater.

We ain't talking about who is greater but who is more heroic.

WolvesofBabylon
So because Thor needed more growth to be heroic, he wins? Makes no sense.

Josh_Alexander

And i still would disagree, cause cap did himself a lot of heroism in Captain America Winter Soldier and Civil War.

FrothByte

No. Nobody said this. We're just pointing out he's had more growth which is one of many factors to consider.

FrothByte
And yet that is Thor's fault. Thor had a priviladge life! He was a pampered child with all the benefits of being the son of Odin!

The only difficulty he ever had was recovering Mjolinr, which in first place he himself lost for his ignorance and pride!

Furthermore, Thor is the king of Asgard. Saving Asgard from Hela and Malekith is HIS DUTY, whereas in the other hand, Captain America owes Earth nothing!

If that's your angle then you might want to consider that Cap is a soldier and it's his duty to serve and protect his country. In fact for his first 3 movies he was basically following orders. A prince has no obligation to fight in the front line whereas same can't be said of a soldier.

Sure Cap just took a syrup, but there were 7Billion other people who could have took the syrup and yet Cap was the worthiest and most-deserving one.

Oh please, don't exaggerate. Dr. Erskine didn't audition 7 billion people before choosing Steve for the SS program. They considered a handful of candidates and Erskine chose Steve for his attitude. Attitude alone does not make one heroic. It's definitely A factor, but not THE ONLY factor.

Difference here is, Odinson is a priviledge hero who has duties to serve as King of Asgard, whereas Cap was a poor sick and bullied guy who earned everything himself

So basically what you're saying is that all the deaths, difficulties and violence Thor has experienced don't matter as much as Cap's simply because Thor has more money and privilege? Do you realize how ridiculously discriminatory that makes you sound? That's like saying a rich woman getting raped is not as horrible as the average woman getting raped simply because the rich woman has more money.

Odinson is heroic, but Cap is just more.

No, both Thor and Cap are clearly heroic, almost equally so... which is why I thought this would make a good thread. The difference between us is that I'm unbiased enough to realize that they excel in different factors which contribute to both of them being heroic.

Josh_Alexander
If that's your angle then you might want to consider that Cap is a soldier and it's his duty to serve and protect his country. In fact for his first 3 movies he was basically following orders. A prince has no obligation to fight in the front line whereas same can't be said of a soldier.

He was a sick bullied and massively understimated guy!!!! He was rejected in his first audition!!! The only reason he participated and saved the entire world was because HE WANTED TO and not because it WAS HIS DUTY!

You clearly haven't watch Captain America, go watch and then come back here son!

Oh please, don't exaggerate. Dr. Erskine didn't audition 7 billion people before choosing Steve for the SS program. They considered a handful of candidates and Erskine chose Steve for his attitude. Attitude alone does not make one heroic. It's definitely A factor, but not THE ONLY factor.

He was the chosen one amongst USA's entire army! Sure isn't 7B it was just an exaggeration from my part, but it's damn a lot.

The biggest difference between a hero and a villain is attitude towards life and society. Reconsider your words!

So basically what you're saying is that all the deaths, difficulties and violence Thor has experienced don't matter as much as Cap's simply because Thor has more money and privilege? Do you realize how ridiculously discriminatory that makes you sound? That's like saying a rich woman getting raped is not as horrible as the average woman getting raped simply because the rich woman has more money.

Clearly you didn't understand what i said. Go read it again.

Odinson is Heir of Asgard. One of the Universes greatest empire and which has many enemies!

It's but his duty to expect attacks and war!

No, both Thor and Cap are clearly heroic, almost equally so... which is why I thought this would make a good thread. The difference between us is that I'm unbiased enough to realize that they excel in different factors which contribute to both of them being heroic.

I never said they weren't heroic! Damn Tony Stark is heroic.

Cap's has had it harder! He has excelled and built a title for himself whilst Odinson has just fullfilled what is required of him!

Cap is the most heroic. Thread answered!

Josh_Alexander
Captain America:
- A no one whose future was to be a random American person with a 'no one cares' future.
- He was sick, small, and underestimated.
- He was rejected to participate in WW2 and bullied.
- Despite being bullied he kept working hard and manage to enter the academy (As a random soldier destined to get killed by a Nazi!)
- He was in poor condition and yet managed to win all his courses in the academy.
- He sacrificed himself into what looked like a granade to safe his pals proving his massively heroic attitude.
- Finally rewarded for his attitude earning the SSS and becoming America's idol and embassador in WW2.
- He made the ultimate sacrifice by crashing Red Skull's plane into the ice saving a World who 1. Never believed in him 2. Mistreated him

Thor:
- Son of Odin, and heir of Asgard
- He was strong, powerful and damn handsome.
- He was given Mjolnir, one of the Universe's most power weapon at its time
- His pride and ego made him lose Mjolnir and his Powers
- He was casted to Earth where he had a decent lifetime and being looked over by Jane Foster and her friends
- He finally became humble and got a punch from Destroyer making him 'Worthy again'.
- Went to Asgard to fulfill his duty as heir to the throne, and fix something HE STARTED! He defeated Loki....Which is expected since he is the true son of Odin, and had Mjolnir which>>>>>Odin staff!

That is more than enough to clearly see which one is the most heroic one. The simple fact that you are actually comparing them is BS

Now i could keep moving on with Thor Dark World and CA:CW. But I think i brough enough comparison to make a clear difference here.

FrothByte
Captain America:
- A no one whose future was to be a random American person with a 'no one cares' future.
- He was sick, small, and underestimated.
- He was rejected to participate in WW2 and bullied.
- Despite being bullied he kept working hard and manage to enter the academy (As a random soldier destined to get killed by a Nazi!)
- He was in poor condition and yet managed to win all his courses in the academy.
- He sacrificed himself into what looked like a granade to safe his pals proving his massively heroic attitude.
- Finally rewarded for his attitude earning the SSS and becoming America's idol and embassador in WW2.
- He made the ultimate sacrifice by crashing Red Skull's plane into the ice saving a World who 1. Never believed in him 2. Mistreated him

Thor:
- Son of Odin, and heir of Asgard
- He was strong, powerful and damn handsome.
- He was given Mjolnir, one of the Universe's most power weapon at its time
- His pride and ego made him lose Mjolnir and his Powers
- He was casted to Earth where he had a decent lifetime and being looked over by Jane Foster and her friends
- He finally became humble and got a punch from Destroyer making him 'Worthy again'.
- Went to Asgard to fulfill his duty as heir to the throne, and fix something HE STARTED! He defeated Loki....Which is expected since he is the true son of Odin, and had Mjolnir which>>>>>Odin staff!

That is more than enough to clearly see which one is the most heroic one. The simple fact that you are actually comparing them is BS

Now i could keep moving on with Thor Dark World and CA:CW. But I think i brough enough comparison to make a clear difference here.

So you admit that you're basing your ENTIRE opinion on just the first Captain America and Thor movies. Thank you for admitting that you completely disregarded 83% of the characters' arc in forming your opinion.

Josh_Alexander
So you admit that you're basing your ENTIRE opinion on just the first Captain America and Thor movies. Thank you for admitting that you didn't consider 80% of the characters' arc in forming your opinion.

Captain America: The First Avenger and Thor 1.

And I made a quick resume. Picked the most relevant information from both movies.

Why? You want me to go make a Captain America: The Winter Soldier and a Thor: The Dark World comparisson too?

Josh_Alexander
Thank you for admitting that you didn't consider 83% of the characters' arc in forming your opinion.

Thank you for admitting you can't defend your position nor back up my evidences.

Captain America is the most heroic, get over it.

FrothByte
Thank you for admitting you can't defend your position nor back up my evidences.

Captain America is the most heroic, get over it.

You based your ENTIRE opinion of Cap from 1 movie out of his 6. A movie where he was new to his powers, had to undergo the most change, and made his biggest sacrifice compared to his other solo movies.

You then compared that to 1 Thor movie out of 6, picking the movie where he was most arrogant and lost the least compared to his other solo movies.

And you expect us to take your opinions seriously? lol. Fail, Josh, utter failure. This is almost as stupid as your KO definition.

quanchi112
We ain't talking about who is greater but who is more heroic. Thor is more heroic.

quanchi112
So because Thor needed more growth to be heroic, he wins? Makes no sense. I am saying Thor dealt with more personal tragedy and evolved past himself while he never gives up either.

Josh_Alexander
You based your ENTIRE opinion of Cap from 1 movie out of his 6. A movie where he was new to his powers, had to undergo the most change, and made his biggest sacrifice compared to his other solo movies.

You then compared that to 1 Thor movie out of 6, picking the movie where he was most arrogant and lost the least compared to his other solo movies.

And you expect us to take your opinions seriously? lol. Fail, Josh, utter failure. This is almost as stupid as your KO definition.

You want me to bring you the other movies whilst you can barely cope with 1 of them!??? laughing out loud

Finish eating your food before asking for more!

LMAO!! Wont even address the rest of the stupidity you said, since it will only confuse you more.

FrothByte
You want me to bring you the other movies whilst you can barely cope with 1 of them!??? laughing out loud

Finish eating your food before asking for more!

LMAO!! Wont even address the rest of the stupidity you said, since it will only confuse you more.

So you're passing judgement on the entire 6-course meal after only tasting the appetizer?

Only an idiot would think an assessment like that would be accurate. You completely disregarded 83% of their character arcs.

Damn boy, when will you stop making a fool of yourself?

Silent Master
So you're passing judgement on the entire 6-course meal after only tasting the appetizer?

Only an idiot would think an assessment like that would be accurate. You completely disregarded 83% of their character arcs.

BTW, he does realize that Thor sacrificed his life in order to save people from the Destroyer? that is actually just as heroic as anything Cap did in his first movie.

Edit.

Mindship
Cap, by a hair's breadth (likewise, imo, the difference in the heroic-ness of many heroes). I'm giving it to Cap because, in a team situation, in addition to heroic deeds, Cap also assumes the responsibility of leadership.

Rage.Of.Olympus
After Thor's character grown from Thor 1, Ragnarok, and Infinity War, this is a tough one.

Remember the last scene in Thor: The Dark World? He was willing to give up Mjolnir and his throne because he'd rather be a good man, than a great king, and doesn't have the heart for absolute rule.

Hemsworth acting in the last two movies especially shows a lot of growth. He isn't as "pure" as Silver Age Thor (Vengeance was one of his driving motivators) but as we saw by his speech to Etri, he is driven by hope ultimately.

I'm curious to see them interact side-by-side in Avengers 4. They both had the best entrances in IW, and you really understood why they (And Stark) are the trinity of Marvel's Avengers.

And after the last three movies, Thor's no less of a tragic character than Steve. That scene with Rocket imo was some of the best acting in the movie.

I think the best way to describe is that whoever you think is more heroic depends on a slight change of ideals. Thor is after-all from a warrior race but Steve was raised in a humble home.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by Mindship
Cap, by a hair's breadth (likewise, imo, the difference in the heroic-ness of many heroes). I'm giving it to Cap because, in a team situation, in addition to heroic deeds, Cap also assumes the responsibility of leadership.

IK, but you know, when Thor is concerned people will come with any BS in this forum!

Josh_Alexander
BTW, he does realize that Thor sacrificed his life in order to save people from the Destroyer? that is actually just as heroic as anything Cap did in his first movie.

Edit.

From all the stupidity you've said, this is likely 1st place!!..Man won't even bother addressing this BS!

How is cheerleading going BTW!?

Josh_Alexander

Okay, here goes the main dish!

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
-Hydra comes out of the shadows
-Bucky Barnes aka. The Winter Soldier makes it's return and attack's SHIELD, attempts to kill both Cap and Nick Fury
- Did Steve even had a mother to look after him!? Did he even had someone to take care of him!!? Did he even had someone to feed him and love him!?..The only woman who loved him (Agent Carter) was ripped off his arms by time.
- Steve never had a brother! The only brother he ever knew 'apparently died' only to return years later as an enemy known as the Winter Soldier. Now he is faced with the heart-breaking task of facing his own brother in combat.
- Steve rather DIE! HE RATHER DIE instead of his brother who had turned evil and didn't only wanted to kill him but wanted the to destroy the world. Not only that, but Steve actually saved the day AGAIN!

Thor: Dark World
-Dark Elves come out of the shadows
-Malekith attacks Asgard killing Freya and kidnapping Jayne
- The entire Asgard moarns Freya's death and gives her a HELL of a funeral worthy of the Queen of Asgard. Her death is but a collateral damage between The Asgard-Elf wars.
- Thor follows his duty as Heir of Asgard and goes face Malekith which results in Loki 'apparently dying'. Sure Thor moarned him too, another casualty of war.
- BLAH BLAH BLAH, usual storytelling. The good guy defeats the bad one. End of Thor.

Conclusion: Thor had it hard yes, but Cap still had it worse!

Do you want me to go for the dessert!? Man you haven't ate your entrance!!! But don't rush, we don't want you to choke! laughing out loud

Josh_Alexander

HAHAHAHAHA. It's always usual from you, once you can't longer defend your case you opt for personal attacks and trolling!

Well, it was my pleasure to show you reality. JUST GET OVER IT

Martian_mind
Hmm. I'm giving this to Thor. MCU Captain America doesn't actually strike me as being all that heroic. Yeah, he's determined, brave and a good tactician, but he's also arrogant, judgemental, and a very poor leader. How many times has the team fallen apart/been vulnerable because his troops didn't think they could talk to him or trust him? How many times has he endangered countless innocents to protect the lives of some morally-questionable friend? Cap may be the leader of the Avengers, but that is solely due to the plot designating it so. In actual credentials and aptitude, well, he's a questionable choice at best.

FrothByte
HAHAHAHAHA. It's always usual from you, once you can't longer defend your case you opt for personal attacks and trolling!

Well, it was my pleasure to show you reality. JUST GET OVER IT

What personal attack? Pointing out to you how stupid your arguments are isn't a personal attack, it's plain honesty. The difference between us is that I'm not willing to completely lowball Cap because I'm honest, whereas you'll do whatever it takes to grind Thor and his kin down even if it means completely misrepresenting facts... like your definition of KO.

Silent Master
What personal attack? Pointing out to you how stupid your arguments are isn't a personal attack, it's plain honesty. The difference between us is that I'm not willing to completely lowball Cap because I'm honest, whereas you'll do whatever it takes to grind Thor and his kin down even if it means completely misrepresenting facts... like your definition of KO.

You'll notice that since he couldn't refute my point, he's the one that resorted to personal attacks.

Josh_Alexander

I won't even defend the debate, since you aren't longer debating, you are crying and whimping for the fact that you can't longer defend your case.

And the difference between you and me Mr. Froth is that you are EXTREMELY OBSESSED with Thor whilst I am objective! Evidence: You rarely bring evidence and always try to lowball mines!

Nice debate, although you never brought evidence.

Josh_Alexander
You'll notice that since he couldn't refute my point, he's the one that resorted to personal attacks.

Refute your point or refute the stupidity you said!? Like when you claimed that Odin didn't want to kill Hela!? laughing out loud PLEASSSEEEE!!!!!

Josh_Alexander

By the way, nice to know you are afraid to quote me! I love how you always quote Froth for help!

Don't worry boy, i don't bite laughing out loud

FrothByte
I won't even defend the debate, since you aren't longer debating, you are crying and whimping for the fact that you can't longer defend your case.

And the difference between you and me Mr. Froth is that you are EXTREMELY OBSESSED with Thor whilst I am objective! Evidence: You rarely bring evidence and always try to lowball mines!

Nice debate, although you never brought evidence.

And yet not once did I say that Thor wins in this match. I'm perfectly willing to debate, but it's useless to debate with someone who'll pervert facts just to support their bias. For example, saying Captain America has no mother... what kind of nonsense is that? Of course he had a mother. And saying he has no brother... what, having no brother now makes you more heroic? Are you saying growing up without a brother is somehow more traumatic than having your brother murdered before your eyes?

There's no debating with such asinine comments as these. You can't debate with stupid.

Josh_Alexander
And yet not once did I say that Thor wins in this match.

Concession accepted thumb up wink

FrothByte
Concession accepted thumb up wink

Now who's avoiding the debate?

Josh_Alexander
Now who's avoiding the debate?

Debate!? What debate? You already conceded that Thor isn't the more heroic. There is nothing else to debate.

h1a8
So anyone who would give up their life to protect others are equal.

laughing out loud

With equal easiness.

quanchi112
Originally posted by h1a8
With equal easiness. No, there are other factors not just this.

FrothByte
Debate!? What debate? You already conceded that Thor isn't the more heroic. There is nothing else to debate.

No I didn't. I said they were pretty equal since they excelled in different areas.

Josh_Alexander
No I didn't. I said they were pretty equal since they excelled in different areas.

That is just BS. That's your way of avoiding picking a side!

They are not equals and both are quite different.

Pick a side, or just admit you don't know whose better.

CPT Space Bomb
I give Thor the slight edge, again. Personal preference but I don't begrudge anyone giving Cap the edge.

Wonder Man
Men fight for Thor and follow Captain America.
I'd have to give it to Thor.

FrothByte
That is just BS. That's your way of avoiding picking a side!

They are not equals and both are quite different.

Pick a side, or just admit you don't know whose better.

I made the thread specifically because it was a close match in my head.

Captain America is a better leader, more inspirational, more sincere, is more used to being the underdog and has a stricter moral compass.

Thor has gone through more personal development, conquered more hardships, is more honest, has made harder choices, and his actions have saved more lives.

Josh_Alexander
I made the thread specifically because it was a close match in my head.

Captain America is a better leader, more inspirational, more sincere, is more used to being the underdog and has a stricter moral compass.

Thor has gone through more personal development, conquered more hardships, is more honest, has made harder choices, and his actions have saved more lives.

Pick a side or stay ond the sidelines mr. Froth. You can't pretend to support both sides, it's like trying to vote for two presidents.

FrothByte
Pick a side or stay ond the sidelines mr. Froth. You can't pretend to support both sides, it's like trying to vote for two presidents.

Why does my opinion matter so much to you Josh? Or are you being argumentative just for the sake of being argumentative?

quanchi112
Thor wins. Better character to boot by far.

Josh_Alexander
Why does my opinion matter so much to you Josh? Or are you being argumentative just for the sake of being argumentative?

Because you've been lowballing my arguments and attacking my points. You've been pretending to debate me and in the end you come with the pathetic excuse of, " I never picked a side".

If you are gonna debate or attack someone you've got to have an opposite belief or argument, not a neutral one!

Josh_Alexander
Thor wins. Better character to boot by far.

Completely irrelevant! Outside thread's parameters, aka Your Opinion Is Respected

quanchi112
Completely irrelevant! Outside thread's parameters, aka Your Opinion Is Respected I already told you why. Thor is more heroic. Sorry Cap.

Josh_Alexander
I already told you why. Thor is more heroic. Sorry Cap.

I have also exposed my points. Cap is more heroic. Sorry Thor.

quanchi112

FrothByte
Because you've been lowballing my arguments and attacking my points. You've been pretending to debate me and in the end you come with the pathetic excuse of, " I never picked a side".

If you are gonna debate or attack someone you've got to have an opposite belief or argument, not a neutral one!

No, I've been pointing out how your arguments were false and blatantly exaggerated. It's not lowballing when you simply point out the truth.

I never disagreed with your choice of Cap, I disagreed with your misrepresentation of feats and your claim that Cap went through more adversity than Thor.

Arachnid1
Pick a side or stay ond the sidelines mr. Froth. You can't pretend to support both sides, it's like trying to vote for two presidents. In a thread like this, you can support both IMO. Both are heroes, honestly both are similar in terms of morals and values.

I personally give Cap the win, although it's pretty close.

Thor is more the adventurer archetype IMO. He loves what he does and does it because it's his responsibility, sure, but also because it's another adventure to have and another story to make.

Cap fits more snuggly into the hero archetype. He does what he does for no reason other than it's right. He doesn't actually enjoy it. He didn't enjoy siding against Tony in the entire Accords ordeal or fighting his prior teammates, but he did it but he did it to avoid the deterioration of the status quo. He realized that the Accords going through would lead to loss of autonomy which would inevitably lead to the unnecessary the loss of life.

When Thor has a new enemy to fight, he relishes the impending struggle. He sees it all as another development in his own personal story. When Cap has a new enemy to fight, he only sees the potential threat to the civilians and world around him. There's nothing glamorous about the impending destruction. He just wants to put a stop to it ASAP. Cap has more purely altruistic motivations and character.

That's my opinion on this thread. I do prefer Thor as a character though, and always have.

Josh_Alexander

Josh_Alexander
No, I've been pointing out how your arguments were false and blatantly exaggerated. It's not lowballing when you simply point out the truth.

I never disagreed with your choice of Cap, I disagreed with your misrepresentation of feats and your claim that Cap went through more adversity than Thor.

You can disagree as much as you want Mr. Froth. Reality keeps intact, unless that is, you have the Reality Stone. laughing out loud

Either way, nice knowing you are neutral. Keep that way.

quanchi112
Thor saved his life. Just admit it. Thor inspires the avengers in this film not Cap.

FrothByte
Originally posted by Arachnid1
In a thread like this, you can support both IMO. Both are heroes, honestly both are similar in terms of morals and values.

Thor is more the adventurer archetype IMO. He loves what he does and does it because it's his responsibility, sure, but also because it's another adventure to have and another story to make.

Cap fits more snuggly into the hero archetype. He does what he does for no reason other than it's right. He doesn't actually enjoy it. He didn't enjoy siding against Tony in the entire Accords ordeal or fighting his prior teammates, but he did it but he did it to avoid the deterioration of the status quo. He realized that the Accords going through would lead to loss of autonomy which would inevitably lead to the unnecessary the loss of life.

When Thor has a new enemy to fight, he relishes the impending struggle. He sees it all as another development in his own personal story. When Cap has a new enemy to fight, he only sees the potential threat to the civilians and world around him. There's nothing glamorous about the impending destruction. He just wants to put a stop to it ASAP. Cap has more purely altruistic motivations and character.

That's my opinion on this thread. I do prefer Thor as a character though, and always have.

Good points. Something more to consider.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by Arachnid1
In a thread like this, you can support both IMO. Both are heroes, honestly both are similar in terms of morals and values.

I retract what i said. Was just a bit pissed off.

You have the right to chose whosoever you please.

quanchi112
Another cap concession.

Josh_Alexander
Thor saved his life. Just admit it. Thor inspires the avengers in this film not Cap.

Which movie are we talking about Quan? Am lost here. Did they release a new movie? WHICH ONE!?

quanchi112
Which movie are we talking about Quan? Am lost here. Did they release a new movie? WHICH ONE!? In Infinity War when all the avengers are being overwhelmed Thor arrives with the axe and saves them all. He saves Cap.

quanchi112

Josh_Alexander
In Infinity War when all the avengers are being overwhelmed Thor arrives with the axe and saves them all. He saves Cap.

He saved them all? They were overwhelmed not defeated! As far as am concerned Wanda on the battlefield would have changed the course of the battle.

Even Tony or Strange could have 'saved the day'.

And yet half the universe was wiped along with half the avengers. How is that saving the day?

Josh_Alexander

quanchi112
He saved them all? They were overwhelmed not defeated! As far as am concerned Wanda on the battlefield would have changed the course of the battle.

Even Tony or Strange could have 'saved the day'.

And yet half the universe was wiped along with half the avengers. How is that saving the day? You are a liar. Thor directly changed the course of the battle. He kept them from being killed at that moment in time from the monsters. This has nothing to do with Thanos who Thor did far better against than Cap.

Thor is just better than Cap. smile

quanchi112

Josh_Alexander

Josh_Alexander
You are a liar. Thor directly changed the course of the battle. He kept them from being killed at that moment in time from the monsters. This has nothing to do with Thanos who Thor did far better against than Cap.

Thor is just better than Cap. smile

SPECULATION

Won't debate speculation. Thanos won in the end. No one stopped him. ALL FAILED.

I would personally never use Infinity War as evidence to back up heroism, since the Heroes ALL LOST.

quanchi112

quanchi112
SPECULATION

Won't debate speculation. Thanos won in the end. No one stopped him. ALL FAILED.

I would personally never use Infinity War as evidence to back up heroism, since the Heroes ALL LOST. They all failed correct but Thor did better than Cap. Your black and white little brain is very pitiful to be honest. Anyone who lacks a grey perspective shows a limited intellect who tries to put everything into a black and white perspective.

Josh_Alexander

Josh_Alexander
They all failed correct but Thor did better than Cap. Your black and white little brain is very pitiful to be honest. Anyone who lacks a grey perspective shows a limited intellect who tries to put everything into a black and white perspective.

According to Quan, we must all name Star Lord the most heroic Hero in the MCU, for he saved Thor.

...The effects of Alcohol are terrible

quanchi112

quanchi112

Josh_Alexander

quanchi112
I love you too Quan. I love you too! You are diabetic I know it. Sloppy, sloppy boy.

Josh_Alexander

quanchi112

Josh_Alexander
I know you love me too Quan! Come to papa!

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj531/Josh-Alexander/dr-evil-crying1_zpsgffxjvqj.gif

Josh_Alexander

quanchi112

quanchi112

Josh_Alexander

Josh_Alexander

quanchi112

quanchi112

Josh_Alexander

quanchi112

Josh_Alexander

quanchi112

Josh_Alexander
Either way, the Tribunal has evaluated both characters drawing the following conclusions:

Cap: He has faced more difficulties in his early life, and despite how UGLY and TERRIBLE the world was to him, he still saved the world! Cap has faced more difficult characterwise situations. He has proven to have a solid steel character.

Thor: He has faced more difficult tasks (fighting Hela, Kurse, Malekith etc). He has saved more people (overall).

To me Cap is the more heroic one. What defines a hero is it's character. The way they approach life. The way they treat others and their strength in times of hardship (not physical).

Am not saying Thor isn't heroic, but damn sure Cap is the 'iconic hero'.

But either way, other's opinion is respected!...

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>