Does a good person exist?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

cdtm
Does there exist, a person who fits this criteria:

1. Possesses power (Be it from wealth, social status, occupation)

2. Is an altruist and person of principle.

3. Has examples of standing against powerful men, for the public interest.

Not so sure if such a person exists.. As far as I can see, the "elites" who run things are granted blind trust by the public. Many are honest, and some aren't. The honest one's done't really go out of their way to stand against the dishonest ones.

What I'm looking for, are examples of peer pressure at the elite social level.. People "policing their own", as it were. The same way the middle/lower class shames their own every day, and even acts against their own, for various crimes.

It doesn't count if they condemn their own "after" they're caught.

I'll give one example: A rabbi caught a second rabbi abusing a child. The first rabbi went to the police. The entire community rallied against the first rabbi, for various very real concerns about their safety and how this would look to the world at large, but the rabbi stood firm, even as his own community turned on him. His principles were more important then the personal costs.

That's what I'm looking for. Evidence of important people putting principle ahead of their own self interest, to oppose other important people.

MythLord
Originally posted by cdtm

Jose Mujica, the President of Uruguay is a good example, I guess.

Emperordmb
Jordan B Peterson (an answer I post knowing obviously that there could likely be people who mock me for this)

Tenured university professor, turned very public figure with a bestselling book. Check.

From everything I've seen he's a flawed man like everyone else but he's a man of good character with a genuine interest in helping people, and he's spent his clinical practice doing just that and written a book for those exact reasons. Common comments from people who meet him was that following him and his content allowed them to either vastly improve their lives, or pulled them away from the fringes of the far left or far right.

He's also a man who firmly argues his principles, he's spent years teaching and writing about the horrors of the twentieth century from the far right and far left and will condemn either in no uncertain terms unapologetically, and he rose to prominence for his defense of free speech. His principled stance on individualism is something he unapologetically holds to against the identitarians on either side as well.

The dude took a very personal risk in standing up to Bill C-16 in Canada, professionally and socially, was willing to go to jail for his convictions, showed up at the Canadian senate to argue his positions against the legislators of his country, and took the very serious risk of being characterized in the public domain as a hateful bigot, which I'm glad to say is not the case given his rise to popularity, but he still suffers the slings and arrows of the media establishment repeatedly lying about him and mischaracterizing him in some of the most appalling ways I've ever seen them do to anyone really.

It'll be an honor to meet him in two days.

Emperordmb
And if we're not speaking solely about the modern day, the most compelling and obvious answer for me to give as a Christian is Jesus... another thing that could potentially bring me mockery on here but idgaf

dadudemon
Originally posted by Emperordmb
It'll be an honor to meet him in two days.

It's gonna be super awkward to try and shake his hand with you leaning so far forward to hide your erection. But you'll power through it.

grouchoawe

And if we're not speaking solely about the modern day, the most compelling and obvious answer for me to give as a Christian is Jesus... another thing that could potentially bring me mockery on here but idgaf

thumb up

Mocked or not, He shows up on the ranker "thetoptens" website as #1:

https://www.thetoptens.com/most-peaceful-people-history/

Emperordmb
Originally posted by dadudemon
It's gonna be super awkward to try and shake his hand with you leaning so far forward to hide your erection. But you'll power through it.

grouchoawe
1uzmbzOj4yM

thumb up

Mocked or not, He shows up on the ranker "thetoptens" website as #1:

https://www.thetoptens.com/most-peaceful-people-history/
FFS, when I started going through it at the beginning I thought it was a good list... but as soon as I hit #3 I lost my shit tbh

dadudemon
1uzmbzOj4yM

FFS, when I started going through it at the beginning I thought it was a good list... but as soon as I hit #3 I lost my shit tbh

Mother Teresa and Nelson Mandela are on the list, too.

Surtur
Lol@ Muhammad being #3

Technically he did grant loads of people eternal peace.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Surtur
Lol@ Muhammad being #3

Technically he did grant loads of people eternal peace.

RIP in peace in pieces.

Putinbot1
That top ten is brilliant a fictional character and Michael Jackson, as for the prophet M, clearly, you all have not been reading ennin's extremely informative thread.

Nibedicus
RIP in peace in pieces.

IOW:

RIP PeePee.

Surtur
Muhammad can teach us all how to peacefully torture poets who say bad things about us to death.

Oh, and need some treasure from a Jew? Muhammad's got you covered! You burn that motherf*cker with fire till he talks.

rudester
Good is a state of being, although good intentions are what human beings struggle with. Humans have the ability to be good but things are not so simple. External forces make being constantly good more of a moment to moment occurrence. We must all strive to reach enlightenment! We can't say there are good people because that is wrong, it's just a state of mind. It follows that, good is what we hope to achieve in a chaotic world.

SquallX

Flyattractor
Blacks going all Racist against each other over politics.

How the Left has Ruined them it is so sad.

cdtm
With his comments against the concept of systemic racism, I'm not surprised.

I also didn't know he existed until you mentioned him, so thanks for that. Of course, the mainstream media won't touch him.

dadudemon
With his comments against the concept of systemic racism, I'm not surprised.

I also didn't know he existed until you mentioned him, so thanks for that. Of course, the mainstream media won't touch him.

It was SquallX who introduced me to him, as well. thumb up

Bentley
I think this all depends in what's your concept of personal power, Jesus technically only had a bunch of personal followers in his (first) lifetime. It's difficult to pin point exactly where personal benefit begins for specific people, as for example Evo Morales did good stuff for his country, but we will probably only know the true extent of his actions on many areas until well after he's gone.

CroftAlice
Yes,but many consider this a sign of weakness

DarthPlaguis12
Better question...does a truly evil person exist.

SquallX

Jmanghan
Originally posted by DarthPlaguis12
Better question...does a truly evil person exist. Uh... Yeah, there are people who take joy in hurting others just because they can.

riv6672
Yeah. He was President of the United States from 2008-2016.

Silent Master
LOL!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.