Laserdiscs

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

P-Geyser
I was at a friends house the other day and to my shock, he still had his Laserdisc Player. We watched Bladerunner which looked spectacular. I remember LD being kind of like a prototype for The DVD/Blu Ray..the only problem was, with LD, you would have to flip it over to watch the rest of the movie. My question to all is, has anyone else had or has a Laserdisc Player? If so what are your experiences with owning one?

Robtard
Never had, I went straight to DVD from VHS.

Friend of mine then got into LDs late in the game, probably around 1997, he was convinced DVDs would not take over so he kept buying LDs up until they were pulled from the shelves to stock up his video library. iirc, some of the special edition LDs were $100+ back then, but averaged around $35-$40. What a fool.

P-Geyser
Originally posted by Robtard
Never had, I went straight to DVD from VHS.

Friend of mine then got into LDs late in the game, probably around 1997, he was convinced DVDs would not take over so he kept buying LDs up until they were pulled from the shelves to stock up his video library. iirc, some of the special edition LDs were $100+ back then, but averaged around $35-$40. What a fool. Yeah. I recall them being pretty pricey...I sure as he'll couldn't afford them at the time. The one thing that kinda ruined it for me with LD, is the fact that movies would come with at least two discs, and you had to flip from side a to side b.

Robtard
Yeah, I think The Godfather Collection was something like 6-7 disc, three films and a disc for the extras or something, meaning to watch a single film, you had to use two disc and then flip each disc from A to B.

Jmanghan
He's gonna take you back to the past...

to check out his laserdisc collection:

W6jVw5eZJjk

Robtard
Pretty cool actually. Would love to spend a few hours in his basement, checking out what he had.

I still have my DVD collection in storage. Forget now, but I'd guess around 150ish store bought dvd's and another 1300-1600 burned dvds I made back when Netflix first started.

P-Geyser
Originally posted by Robtard
Yeah, I think The Godfather Collection was something like 6-7 disc, three films and a disc for the extras or something, meaning to watch a single film, you had to use two disc and then flip each disc from A to B. From what I recall, the godfather on LD looked amazing. I mean from the specialized box and packaging ...though I never got view it on LD

P-Geyser
Originally posted by Jmanghan
He's gonna take you back to the past...

to check out his laserdisc collection:

W6jVw5eZJjk That is f**king awesome

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.