Matt Martin on ROTS Obi-Wan vs ANH Obi-Wan

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthAnt66

Freedon Nadd
Insignificant opinion.

Azronger
If anyone's curious, this is what he said regarding Vader vs Sheev when people came to him with the top 5 list from Absolutely Everything You Need To Know:

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11135/111352650/6474574-debate.jpg

Wouldn't take any of this seriously. It's all a mess.

LordOfTheLight
We already know his greater force connection is not enough to compensate for his physical augmentation and that he Is combatively inferior to his former self.

This is nothing new.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Azronger
If anyone's curious, this is what he said regarding Vader vs Sheev when people came to him with the top 5 list from Absolutely Everything You Need To Know:

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11135/111352650/6474574-debate.jpg

Wouldn't take any of this seriously. It's all a mess.

Yeah but you (or whoever is in that conversation) kept saying the book says Vader > Palps. But it doesnt. It only says Vader > Palps in SABERS.

Matt kept replying theres lots of different factors in a fight.

From that conversation, I wouldnt take the list as FACT, but would certainly count it as 1 piece of evidence that needs to be weighed against all the other evidence.

LordOfTheLight
Is this canon?

Darth Thor
^ He is from the story group.

Basically he is saying the Ben Kenobi certainly has had spiritual growth which would increase his combat effectiveness, but that is just 1 factor to consider, but overall hed give ROTS Kenobi the win over ANH Kenobi.

Azronger
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Yeah but you (or whoever is in that conversation) kept saying the book says Vader > Palps. But it doesnt. It only says Vader > Palps in SABERS.

Matt kept replying theres lots of different factors in a fight.

From that conversation, I wouldnt take the list as FACT, but would certainly count it as 1 piece of evidence that needs to be weighed against all the other evidence.

It's not me. I don't ask authors questions.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Azronger
It's not me. I don't ask authors questions.

Alrite cool.

Just pointing out the flaw in the question. Because the book never said Vader is overall better or that he would win a fight.

CuckedCurry
Originally posted by LordOfTheLight
We already know his greater force connection is not enough to compensate for his physical augmentation and that he Is combatively inferior to his former self.

This is nothing new.

TheNuisanceBird
Vader > Sidious makes no sense as to why he wouldn't overthrow him.

Darth Thor
The ranking only has him superior in Sabers. Not in an all out.

Not saying its true, but the counter arguments here are not working at all.

DarthPlaguis12
I take those comments with a grain of salt, imo Obi Wans final fight with maul showed how Obi Wan had truly mastered form three as he had easily defeated Maul

Zentrex
Originally posted by DarthPlaguis12
I take those comments with a grain of salt, imo Obi Wans final fight with maul showed how Obi Wan had truly mastered form three as he had easily defeated Maul

He did not easily defeat Maul. Dave Filoni wanted the scene to be a homage to the seventh samurai by Kurosawa, which is what star wars was partially inspired by.

And in real life, swordfights aren't very prolonged. The average fencing match lasts one minute, with 15 touches within. 1 touch happens every couple of seconds. One or two jabs (this is at the olympic level, let me remind you) is enough to get one touch. Which means that if you go for the kind of two handed attack that Maul went for, you have decided to end the fight. You either win, or you die in that circumstance.

So the fight wasn't short because Maul was bad, it was short because both fighters were so good.

DarthPlaguis12

Darth Thor

DarthPlaguis12
Pretty much, good fight though

Lord Stark
This forum is like

https://i.imgflip.com/2ch0vt.jpg

I never thought we'd have more confusion than legends lol

Zentrex

DarthPlaguis12
Prove it or shut up

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Zentrex

rlly, tho?

Yeah was proper shit entertainment.

I have a friend who is neither a Maul or Obi-Wan fan but was really looking forward to their final confrontation. Even he was like WTF?

Rule of thumb: when you need director commentary to make sense of it, its shit entertainment.

quanchi112
Rots Kenobi would destroy ANH Kenobi. This is common sense. Kenobi and Vader were well past their primes.

Zentrex

DarthPlaguis12

Zentrex

Darth Thor
The only people who enjoyed it were Maul haters and/or Kenobi fanboys.

Can you imagine if the Ahsoka/Vader fight lasted 3moves? Lmao of course it would be poor entertainment when such a hyped up fight doesnt deliver.

Zentrex
The only people who enjoyed it were Maul haters and/or Kenobi fanboys.

Can you imagine if the Ahsoka/Vader fight lasted 3moves? Lmao of course it would be poor entertainment when such a hyped up fight doesnt deliver.

It wouldn't have been as thematically pleasing. And a lot of the comments seemed to appreciate the moment for what was riding on it, not because Kenobi won, or dominated.

Darth Thor
^ There was some good in there. Like the fact that Obi-Wan didnt want to fight, and the way he cradled Maul.

But the fight itself ruined it for most.

Most of Rebels sucked. Thats why the ratings were so low by the end. Shitting on Iconic movie characters doesnt work. As they saw with TLJ.

Rockydonovang
Unlike the maul quote, this is an opinion: "I bet" the key terms here. Not worth anything.

Darth Thor
^ Actually theres two parts to his answer.

The first is a straight up No (to if ANH Ben is better). The second is he bets, referring to who he thinks would win.

Either way its again clear, that your Rebels Kenobi is factually better than ROTS Kenobi, is no fact at all. The best you can argue now is they are roughly equal.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Freedon Nadd
Insignificant opinion. Insignificant Person.

Darth Thor
Lol hes on the story group. Hows that insignificant?

Way more significant than Filoni as far as im concerned.

quanchi112

TheNuisanceBird
At least the Ashoka VS Maul fight wasn't onscreen.........****ing hate when people overinflate that and take it out of context.

Rockydonovang
Him being part of the story group would only matter if he was dictating canon, But all he's doing is stating his opinion. AKA: Worthless.
Kenobi, is no fact at all. The best you can argue now is they are roughly equal.
As Rebels Kenobi was stated to have deepened his connection with the force, I can absolutely argue for him being more powerful and hence better. Matt Martin's opinion is worthless. To spend a year denying the value of authorial intent and to turn around trying to use an opinion as evidence is the definition of hypocrisy.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Him being part of the story group would only matter if he was dictating canon, But all he's doing is stating his opinion. AKA: Worthless.

I dont think you understand the role of the Story Group.

They literally have to keep track of everything in order to keep the Canon consistent.

The story group is >>>>> Filoni.

YousufKhan1212
Originally posted by quanchi112
Rots Kenobi would destroy ANH Kenobi. This is common sense. Kenobi and Vader were well past their primes.

This opinion is so 2015.

Azronger
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Insignificant Person.

https://i.imgur.com/w3hUyFC.gif

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.