Consistency vs Continuity for characters power level

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

xJLxKing

Putinbot1
Ahh, it all depends on the writer tbh.

RealityWarper
Yeah, the Flash doesn't IMP anymore... sad

panthergod
lol, which inconsistency between eras for Darkseid, specifically between pre and post Crisis..?

it's usually people who haven't read the canon who make this critique.

There are inconsistencies, but it difference isn't as extreme as people make it out to be.

xJLxKing
Originally posted by panthergod
lol, which inconsistency between eras for Darkseid, specifically between pre and post Crisis..?

it's usually people who haven't read the canon who make this critique.

There are inconsistencies, but it difference isn't as extreme as people make it out to be.
Would you argue that the DS pre final crisis have the same power as pre crisis DS?

riv6672
^^^hard to say, PC characters had ridiculous highs, and equally ridiculous lows.
I mean, Darkseid got mugged for crying out loud.

RealityWarper
Originally posted by riv6672
^^^hard to say, PC characters had ridiculous highs, and equally ridiculous lows.
I mean, Darkseid got mugged for crying out loud.

STAIRS.

Mindship
Story > character
Dramatic license > consistency

Pillow Biter
The idea of only judging a character by strict canon or continuity is flawed. When a writer gets hold of a character, he isn't necessarily going to base his decision on how to write the character solely on 'canon' stories. I'm not saying that continuity is irrelevant, but it's not a hard divide.

Also, feats basically do not matter. How many times do we need to see posts from writers handwaving the physics of a feat, saying they just wanted to do something cool?

What matters is the relative rankings of characters within a universe. The hierarchy. This is far from consistent, but far more consistent than trying to compare empirically measured feats.

Feats do play a role in comparing characters from different universes, but then things get pretty complex and you have to use a lot of good faith intuition to simplify things.

riv6672

RealityWarper
Originally posted by Pillow Biter
The idea of only judging a character by strict canon or continuity is flawed. When a writer gets hold of a character, he isn't necessarily going to base his decision on how to write the character solely on 'canon' stories. I'm not saying that continuity is irrelevant, but it's not a hard divide.

Also, feats basically do not matter. How many times do we need to see posts from writers handwaving the physics of a feat, saying they just wanted to do something cool?

What matters is the relative rankings of characters within a universe. The hierarchy. This is far from consistent, but far more consistent than trying to compare empirically measured feats.

Feats do play a role in comparing characters from different universes, but then things get pretty complex and you have to use a lot of good faith intuition to simplify things.

True

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.