Ebony Maw vs TAO

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Glorificus
Both have a conversation with one another.

Only words may be used.

Who wins?

RealityWarper
They are both master manipulators.

It's a very complicated situation.

I think that the plot and their motives can greatly change the outcome.

Zack M
Probably TAO. This guy said it best:

RealityWarper
I would like a spy-oriented crossover with both.

Glorificus
Originally posted by Zack M
Probably TAO. This guy said it best:

Still not totally clear on what TAO's voice does. I assume it's not psychic or mystical, like Lorelai's voice or Venus's singing, or Enchantress's seduction magic.

Ebony Maw's manipulation seems unclear as well, since he apparently still managed to manipulate Dr. Strange, even with the protection from Agamotto's Eye, which is supposed to see through all deception. So it's most likely not psychic or mystical manipulation. Seems more psychological to me...

RealityWarper
Originally posted by Glorificus
Still not totally clear on what TAO's voice does. I assume it's not psychic or mystical, like Lorelai's voice or Venus's singing, or Enchantress's seduction magic.

Ebony Maw's manipulation seems unclear as well, since he apparently still managed to manipulate Dr. Strange, even with the protection from Agamotto's Eye, which is supposed to see through all deception. So it's most likely not psychic or mystical manipulation. Seems more psychological to me...

I think that too.

Zack M
Originally posted by Glorificus

He's a genetically engineered being. According to Comicvine's writeup (I know they're not totally accurate)

Tao's main power is his unbelievable intelligence. According to his files "Tao's grasp of tactical, strategic thinking has achieved a seemingly transcendent level which utterly surpasses normal human consciousness. Without any recognized psionic skill such as telepathy or telekinesis, Tao's mind has entered conceptual territory so far above our own that one might as well attempt explaining quantum physics to an ant." Tao's brilliance usually shows itself in his ability to quickly figure out just about anything, from how to operate complex machines, how systems (social or technological) work, what the perfect strategy for any given situation is, even down to personal secrets, flaws, traits and weaknesses of people he's only just met. These kinds of information are then used in the manipulation of individuals and whole cultures for his own ends.

How he uses his intelligence on others, to manipulate and control them, is something that seems to be hypnotic or psychic, but isn't. According to scientists and people that have looked into Tao's creation (people like John Lynch), everything Tao can do comes from his intelligence. He's just so smart that somehow talking to someone, even briefly, is enough for him to completely control their way of thinking. "He redefined genius, and listening to him talk was like playing Russian Roulette...with his words as the bullets" - John Lynch. With nothing other than words, Tao has been able to put a superhuman in a coma, implant false memories, remove real memories, control physical actions as well as the reality that his listener experiences. In most cases though he allows his listener to retain control of their thoughts (or at least believe they do) and manipulate them in more subtle ways. Tao isn't limited to verbal communication, as shown when he had his tongue removed. He is just as dangerous with gestures and facial expressions. Any form of communication is a weapon for Tao. In addition to this, Tao is a decently skilled martial artist and has a high tolerance for pain so he's not helpless in physical combat should that ever be a last resort.

Since Tao's ability works by controlling how someone thinks, it relies on at least some level of intelligence and as a result, it doesn't work on people who are incredibly stupid.

After capturing Void and Providence, Tao began slowly leeching off their powers so he could control reality directly instead of working through them. The first thing he mastered was the ability to use his normal powers without his target knowing. He no longer needed to speak directly to someone, he could manipulate them from a distance (like Majestic in Hawaii or Jackson King in space) without them even knowing. He's also demonstrated superhuman reflexes, telekinesis, teleportation, transmutation (turning bullets into butterflies and turning Maul into Jeremy Stone), superhuman strength, energy manipulation and even an amazing understanding and mastery of magic.

So, not psionic in nature.

In a prep war, I'm backing TAO. He was able to wield universal energies by manipulating Wildstorm universe.

riv6672

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.