The Great Race - Marvel Edition

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Philosophía
So, in the spirit of this:

https://s7d1.turboimg.net/sp/a5be2be5a1a995347a3e50e4d7e6f94a/FastestChars.jpg

What would be the equivalent top 10 in Marvel when it comes to a foot race?

zopzop
Dear Lord, the only person CM is faster than is Kid Flash? FAIL.

As to the thread, Marvel doesn't really have a crapton of uber speedsters like DC. Off the top of my head :
Runner
Makkari
Quicksilver.
In that order.

Supermutant
https://i.imgur.com/VPrSXxt.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UARstT6.jpg

So in just a race, Gladiator, Nova, Silver Surfer, Northstar, Aurora all deserve to be mention along with the above pictured.

zopzop
Originally posted by Supermutant
So in just a race, Gladiator, Nova, Silver Surfer, Northstar, Aurora all deserve to be mention
As per the OP this is FOOT Race. What have Nova, Surfer, Northstar/Aurora done in that regard?

Those guys in that picture (with the exception of Captain Marvel aka Photon aka Spectrum) aren't worthy of any mention. Did you read the issue? They were beyond pathetic. Even Makkari before his awakening was a joke.

Philosophía
Any particular ranking, with reasons?

Quicksilver, Northstar, Aurora, Speed Demon, Nova, Gladiator, Makkari, Monica, Count Nefaria, Speed, Whizzer, Sentry, Hyperion are all good shouts, I'd say.

psycho gundam
The cosmic race in Quasar was pretty explicit on why Monica wasn't up to snuff based on the rules. IIRC any racer whose strides were greater than 50,000 feet on the Architect's special track were ruled as "flying" and teleported out of the track as losers. We all know she can fly at the speed of radiation (C) but this was a foot race.

celeyhyga17
Definitely Makkari

Supermutant
Originally posted by zopzop

As per the OP this is FOOT Race. What have Nova, Surfer, Northstar/Aurora done in that regard?

Those guys in that picture (with the exception of Captain Marvel aka Photon aka Spectrum) aren't worthy of any mention. Did you read the issue? They were beyond pathetic. Even Makkari before his awakening was a joke.

What? Where did I say that all those in that pic were the fastest? I merely posted a scan of a race in Marvel. And even though the question was about a foot race, the DC scan had three characters flying in the race.

Philosophía
What? Where did I say that all those in that pic were the fastest? I merely posted a scan of a race in Marvel. And even though the question was about a foot race, the DC scan had three characters flying in the race. Did you read the description of the rankings? The picture itself is just showcasing the characters.
The rankings are specifically about running.
I mean, I specified foot race in the OP, just in case people just glanced over the pic and didn't read it.

zopzop

Supermutant
The black racer runs on skiis lol. Ok anyways carry on

Philosophía
Oh, I know.

But they all got faster as time went by, especially Quicksilver since re-powering after House of M.

Classic Quicksilver obviously gets smoked.

Speed Demon had a good showing in Superior Spider-Man, too:

https://comicnewbies.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/superior-spider-man-vs-the-sinister-six-5.jpg

The black racer runs on skiis lol. Ok anyways carry on Black Racer and the Black Flash are the same person. You know...the guy who ran with Wally to the end of time. To reiterate: that's just a picture, the criteria for the rankings is a foot race.

--

Bottom line: running speed. Not flying speed. I don't know why we keep going over this, when the OP couldn't be more clear.

You can also answer Zop's question, while you're at it. Or at least make a top 10?

I'm curious what you think, tbh.

Facee
Dear Lord, the only person CM is faster than is Kid Flash? FAIL.

As to the thread, Marvel doesn't really have a crapton of uber speedsters like DC. Off the top of my head :
Runner
Makkari
Quicksilver.
In that order.
Agreed.

I wonder how a foot race between QS and say someone like Superman would go?

Philosophía
^not the thread for Marvel vs DC.

Now show us what's behind that face and make a ranking, beautiful.

Facee

Enzeru
This is tough, because Marvel usually doesn't put much emphasis on speed. To me it always looks like DC focuses more on magic and speed, while Marvel focuses more on reality warping and psionic powers, which are powerful enough that they pretty much also resemble reality warping.

Even someone like the Sentry might not even appear in this discussion, because there are just so little showings for him, when it comes to speed. He operates in milliseconds. That's 1/1000 of a second. Light travels 300 kilometers / 186 miles in that time. With such a speed, Sentry should dance circles around the majority of other Marvel characters, but he doesn't. Marvel writes their comics differently.

So when you talk about speedsters in Marvel, you can pretty much only take people into count, whose sole super power is super speed:

1. Makkari

Beat the Runner in a race.

2. The Runner

Plenty fast, but lost to Makkari in a race. Both of them however are much faster than Quicksilver. Or at least were.

3. Quicksilver

Pretty much your main speedster in Marvel. I think nowdays he can reach the speed of light, or at least come somewhat close to it. But there were often also times, where he simply couldn't reach the speed of light. Makkari and Runner don't struggle with that.

4. Blur

The Flash version in the Squadron Supreme. Kept up with Quicksilver pretty well.

5. Hermes

His flying speed is much more impressive than his running speed. But he is probably still faster than other 'who cares' speedsters, such as Speed and Speed Demon.

StiltmanFTW
DC is racist... the only black character on the list happens to be the slowest one.

stick out tongue

zopzop
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
DC is racist... the only black character on the list happens to be the slowest one.

stick out tongue
Black Racer is black and he's in 5th! smile

riv6672
That was beautiful. thumb up

-K-M-

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j165/A_Flight10/Astonishing%20X-Men%20060-004_zpseszazmoz.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j165/A_Flight10/Astonishing%20X-Men%20060-005_zpsfnv0g9yi.jpg

Rage.Of.Olympus
That's pretty impressive and a big claim. Even a Flash at times struggles to break C.

-K-M-

Prof. T.C McAbe
So Superman flying speed is unmatched and in a foot race he is close behind the fastest three flashes? WTF? If that is official than most showings in a flash comic with Supes can be deemed lowshowings, not his best. :>

StiltmanFTW
Flashes can't fly.

DarkSaint85
If one is a flier, Superman would be fastest.

But as soon as it comes to moving one's limbs ina quick manner, Flashes reign supreme.

It kinda makes sense.

Philosophía
Originally posted by DarkSaint85

But as soon as it comes to moving one's limbs ina quick manner, Flashes reign supreme.

It kinda makes sense. thumb up

Apples and oranges.

One Big Mob

Prof. T.C McAbe

It kinda makes sense.

It does, though Supes is slower running than flying which implies that he is faster or as fast as the fasted in raw speed (in vacuum that is).

DarkSaint85
I took it to mean that age old question of reflexes vs travel speed, as you need quick reflexes to, well, move your feet. Superman may have great travel speed (if not the best), but reflex wise, those three are in front of him.

As Superman just can't move his feet quickly enough.

carver9
Where did it say he was close to the Flashes in speed? I thought it just told us who was faster than who, not the percentage of speed that person above or below is faster than. Example. Flash being able to achieve 1000 times the speed of light. The ranking doesnt mean that Superman can go 999 times the speed of light, it is just telling us who is next. So the difference between Flash speed vs Superman speed and Superman speed vs Cheetah speed could be astronomical. It is all a guess.

-Pr-
Why are you guys talking about DC in a Marvel thread?

Philosophía
I tried...

I will make my list in a bit. Maybe post some scans

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by carver9
Where did it say he was close to the Flashes in speed? I thought it just told us who was faster than who, not the percentage of speed that person above or below is faster than. Example. Flash being able to achieve 1000 times the speed of light. The ranking doesnt mean that Superman can go 999 times the speed of light, it is just telling us who is next. So the difference between Flash speed vs Superman speed and Superman speed vs Cheetah speed could be astronomical. It is all a guess.

You're the one who brought it up....

I guess this proves that Wonder Woman is FAR faster than Supergirl. She didnt even make the list..

Doesn't mean Supergirl is FAR slower.

carver9
You're the one who brought it up....

Doesn't mean Supergirl is FAR slower.

She didnt even make the cut. I'm going to respect Phil and not mention anymore DC characters. Hulk stomps.

-K-M-
Originally posted by One Big Mob
Wasn't Northstar the least gayest homo in that arc and Howlett and Hercules made out?

Yeeeeeeep

DarkSaint85
thumb up no she didn't.

Doesn't mean that Supergirl is far slower. WW could be JUST a tiny bit faster than Billy, who is just a tiny bit faster than etc etc.

But no. She's FAR faster.

I missed ya.

CosmicComet

It tells that on foot he just barely doesn't make the top three. And that means reverse flash (number 3) is only barely faster than superman.

psycho gundam
Probably doesn't fit here cause it's flight but that Gladiator vs Heimdal blitz was uber as phuck

Philosophía
Originally posted by psycho gundam
Probably doesn't fit hereFair assumption thumb up

At this point, if the OP, and subsequent emphasis on "this is a foot race" in multiple posts wasn't enough, people might as well post some strength feats, too.

One Big Mob
Reed chucking universes into place was a really cool scene, and one of my favorite strength feats, even though it 'tweren't nothing for him.

psycho gundam
It was also from Marvel so not part of this thread either

Prof. T.C McAbe
http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Buried_Alien_(Earth-TRN242)

Because even in Marvel a Flash is faster than anyone else.

celeyhyga17
Runner
Makkari

Not sure about rest, but they prolly include...
Quicksilver
Gladiator(s)
Hyperion(s)
Northstar

AbelAnderson
Originally posted by celeyhyga17
Runner
Makkari

Not sure about rest, but they prolly include...
Quicksilver
Gladiator(s)
Hyperion(s)
Northstar
Why did you exclude the Silver Surfer and Sentry ?

DarkSaint85
Do they have running feats?

AbelAnderson
Do they have running feats?

My bad,I missed the last line ''foot race''.

celeyhyga17
Come to think of it, none of the Hyperions have high end "running" feats. Or even the Gladiators for that matter. Classic good Hype and 616 Gladz had nanoseconds reaction feats if that counts. Hype from microverse was moving at speed of thought. Alt Gladz had that time dilation feat which was pretty darn gud. *shrug*

carver9
Originally posted by CosmicComet
It tells that on foot he just barely doesn't make the top three. And that means reverse flash (number 3) is only barely faster than superman.

Barely? I think me and your definition of barely is different. He blitzed Superman and the entire JLA before they even had the chance to react. Hell, Superman probably wasnt even the first one to get hit.

https://postimg.cc/image/lihdfwwtt/

Now if he was only "barely" faster than Superman, Superman could have countered him, or at least took to the sky, or, helped a couple of his teammates, but, he wasnt fast enough to do anything minus getting koed. The speed difference is HUGE and this will be confirmed even more when he takes on 2 Flashes, the same Flashes that casually left Superman in the dust.

DarkSaint85
What does this mean for WW in relation to Superman and the Flashes, Carver?

Facee
Runners more often than not.

Runner
Makkari/Hermes
Quicksilver( however, I have to restudy his feats). He may be higher on the list.

The rest are interchangeable most of the time unless someone's getting a push.

carver9
What does this mean for WW in relation to Superman and the Flashes, Carver?

Cant answer since I dont know the scaling difference from Wally all the way down to Captain Marvel. Then, it's all based on who can run faster... doesnt have a thing to do with reflex speeds. I've always given Supernan the edge in flying and running speed but Diana reflexes imo is still>>>Supermans.

Flashes, neither Superman or Wonder Woman is even comparable to them imo.

DarkSaint85
It's not really an edge, though, is it, because he's several characters above her.

Much like she's several characters above Supergirl.

carver9
It's not really an edge, though, is it, because he's several characters above her.

Much like she's several characters above Supergirl.

What does that even mean though? Example, the speed comparison between Superman and reverse Flash is HUGE and the speed difference between Superman and Barry is huge as well but Superman is a step below them on this scale even though the difference in speed is significant (this was proven recently).

Now let's look at Wonder Woman and Cheetah. Cheetah is above her but the edge in speed isnt that significant (if any) and I'm basing this completely off of what we've seen. Small difference between these two and again, WW is just a step below Cheetah. I'm sure you are seeing where I am going with this.

With that said, how can we even conpare the tiering of that page when we can not even determine how huge of a gap it is between each person? Then, in the scan, it shows Superman flying (which is what I think they are using here) while WW is running. All I'm saying is, no one can determine how big of a gap it is from person to person because it is all over the place. I will stick by the reflex argument unless someone can show me some hard evidence.

celeyhyga17
Then, in the scan, it shows Superman flying (which is what I think they are using here) while WW is running.
The scan was clear that the list was based on foot speed. It's about running.

abhilegend
What does that even mean though? Example, the speed comparison between Superman and reverse Flash is HUGE and the speed difference between Superman and Barry is huge as well but Superman is a step below them on this scale even though the difference in speed is significant (this was proven recently).

Now let's look at Wonder Woman and Cheetah. Cheetah is above her but the edge in speed isnt that significant (if any) and I'm basing this completely off of what we've seen. Small difference between these two and again, WW is just a step below Cheetah. I'm sure you are seeing where I am going with this.

With that said, how can we even conpare the tiering of that page when we can not even determine how huge of a gap it is between each person? Then, in the scan, it shows Superman flying (which is what I think they are using here) while WW is running. All I'm saying is, no one can determine how big of a gap it is from person to person because it is all over the place. I will stick by the reflex argument unless someone can show me some hard evidence.
laughing out loud

Delta1938
Come to think of it, none of the Hyperions have high end "running" feats. Or even the Gladiators for that matter. Classic good Hype and 616 Gladz had nanoseconds reaction feats if that counts. Hype from microverse was moving at speed of thought. Alt Gladz had that time dilation feat which was pretty darn gud. *shrug*

I would think that would translate to running speed as long as it's physical muscular based examples.

The scan was clear that the list was based on foot speed. It's about running.

He fails so epically.

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by Delta1938
I would think that would translate to running speed as long as it's physical muscular based examples.

I guess... I've seen both Classic Hype and 616 Gladz exhibit super speed running, but nothing uberly impressive. Their more notable speed feats involve flight.

He fails so epically.
I'll give him the benefit of doubt and say he just missed it. Lol...

Delta1938
I guess... I've seen both Classic Hype and 616 Gladz exhibit super speed running, but nothing uberly impressive. Their more notable speed feats involve flight.

Ah, I figured you had some physical speed feats that weren't running but would translate in mind.

I'll give him the benefit of doubt and say he just missed it. Lol...

This is carver9 we're talking about, he doesn't miss things. Except the things he misses. Which is a small list, one thing on that list. "Everything."

carver9
https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/2/23374/6145566-xmenwolverine12d+kid+gladiator+beats+quicksilver.jpg

DarkSaint85
What's the point of that scan?

StiltmanFTW
Carver is the only one here actually posting on topic laughing out loud

Gladiator > KG > Quicksilver > speed of light >>>>>>>> Puny Clark who listens to Lois getting f*cked

DarkSaint85
Bit Kid Glads is flying.....

carver9
He wasnt impressed with QS running speeds though. Maybe I'm looking at this bigger than what it is but if I wasnt impressed by someone running at super speed, I would hope to think I run faster. Get what I'm saying.

Philosophía
He wasnt impressed with QS running speeds though. Maybe I'm looking at this bigger than what it is but if I wasnt impressed by someone running at super speed, I would hope to think I run faster. Get what I'm saying. If you could fly even as fast as your shitty stolen car, you'd be able to casually hover alongside Usain Bolt as he's at top speed. That doesn't mean you can run faster than him.

Your only hope is that you'd be able to open your mouth before he gets to the finish line and, astonished at the stupidity coming out of it, he'd stumble and fall. Then you could get back on the ground, and crawl your out of shape ass to the finish line.

Winning, the carver way.

StiltmanFTW
laughing

Galan007
carver always sees the bigger picture. thumb up

-Pr-
Carver and Darksaint, stop talking about Superman.

DarkSaint85
I was talking about Kid Glads, the son of a guy universally acknowledged by many Marvel fans (JBL, Carver) as nothing like Superman thumb up

But I will stop.

celeyhyga17
Ah, I figured you had some physical speed feats that weren't running but would translate in mind.

Both had movement within nanoseconds.
http://i.imgur.com/f7CxaPz.jpg

Gladz counted 10 billion nano-bots within a couple panels.
http://i.imgur.com/HtNjxzg.jpg

And as far as running goes...

Gladz used some superspeed running against Masterson. Bleh..
http://i.imgur.com/xqdZgU4.jpg

Classic Hype kept up with Whizzer. Whizz is like a mid-tier speedster at best.
http://oi66.tinypic.com/jza1jm.jpg

Nothing really impressive in terms of actual running.

There's a couple other speed stuff, but nothing that jumps out of the page. Like I said, most of their best ones include flight. Gladz in particular with the crossing galaxies to tag Heimdall, who was in the middle of a blink.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.