Hobbs & Shaw

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BruceSkywalker
Apologies if this is a duplicate thread,, please merge..

Sin-of of te Fast and Furious films starring Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham...

Also Idris Elba is the villain...

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/idris-elba-fast-and-furious-spinoff-dwayne-johnson-jason-statham-1202852226/

Kazenji
And got David Leitch (Deadpool 2 & John Wick) directing it too.

riv6672
Nothing there for me not to like. thumb up

TheVaultDweller
The Rock, Statham, Elba and one of the guys who worked on JW and DP2? This could actually turn out to be better than the main F&F movies lol. Obviously, it is still very early days. But it's definitely got my interest so far.

riv6672

BruceSkywalker
trailer looks good

KingD19

playa1258
Vin is no doubt pissed at this. Tyrese is probably crying right now.

Khazra Reborn
Originally posted by playa1258
Vin is no doubt pissed at this.

Why? Does he not like Johson, or Statham?

KingD19
As far as I know the only person whose been angry about the spinoff was Tyrese, he was crying about money troubles and Fast 9 getting pushed back means that's another year without a big movie paycheck. Plus he and the Rock just hate each other.

riv6672
Sounds like Tyrese needs to manage his money better. stick out tongue

Flyattractor
Saw the title and almost convinced myself this was a Calvin and Hobbes Movie.

TheVaultDweller
I love the fact that they have just fully embraced the fact that these two are basically metahumans at this point and that you need an actual powered supervillain to take them on.

Anyway, looks like a load of dumb fun. So, I am onboard.

riv6672
^^^Same and same.
The evolution of the F&F franchise has been fun to watch.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Saw the title and almost convinced myself this was a Calvin and Hobbes Movie.

Well you're senile, so..

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
I love the fact that they have just fully embraced the fact that these two are basically metahumans at this point and that you need an actual powered supervillain to take them on.

Yeah, kind of like The Rock in San Andreas. They had to pit him against a massive force of nature to level the playing field.

BrolyBlack
Very exited for this. Love these movies

ShadowFyre
I'm sorry, the whole fast and furious franchise lost its appeal after Tokyo drift. I absolutely hate how they became borderline superhumans and badass ninja spec ops type people. Ruined the entire franchise for me.

BrolyBlack
To bad for you

ShadowFyre
I guess. I loved the first one. It just became to unrealistic. I will probably see this because I really like Rock and Statham though.

BrolyBlack
Most movies are un realistic

Kazenji
Originally posted by ShadowFyre
I'm sorry, the whole fast and furious franchise lost its appeal after Tokyo drift. I absolutely hate how they became borderline superhumans and badass ninja spec ops type people. Ruined the entire franchise for me.

Live action M.A.S.K. movies wink

Quincy
I've never really watched these movies except the first one that The Rock was in.

This trailer however looks dope.

ShadowFyre
I'm not saying they're not good movies. I just dont like how the universe started out grounded to they're now fighting superhuman bulletproof Idris elba.

When the first Fast and Furious came out it started this huge drag racing craze

BrolyBlack
Making a movie about drag racing only worked for the first movie. Don had a bigger past and present then just that.

riv6672
I'm not saying they're not good movies. I just dont like how the universe started out grounded to they're now fighting superhuman bulletproof Idris elba.

When the first Fast and Furious came out it started this huge drag racing craze
The series has re-invented itself a few times (different actors, settings, continual upping of the stakes), until it found a formula thats been box office gold.
What its done well is combine all that into one coherent universe, not sweeping any one movie or actor under the rug.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by BrolyBlack
Making a movie about drag racing only worked for the first movie. Don had a bigger past and present then just that.

This is basically it. You can only do the close-up of someone pressing the NOS button during a drag race so many times before it gets old. They had to expand the franchise or it would have died long ago.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Yeah, kind of like The Rock in San Andreas. They had to pit him against a massive force of nature to level the playing field.

And the Rock still won lol.

Darth Thor
Didnt Vin Dieseld best up the Rock in Fast Five? Now ive seen some unrealistic shit in these movies, but that was just another level of Unrealism.

Tzeentch
I wonder if they're going to glaze over the fact that Shaw was literally a mass murdering terrorist who killed people in cold blood, including a member of the original cast.

TheVaultDweller
Nah, they shared like a Corona or something at the end of the last film, so all is forgiven.

Seriously though, it was implied during the last film that the reason Shaw went rogue was because he got betrayed by his superiors and was used as the fall guy, so decided to turn evil instead. Plus, he did save Dom's kid in the last film, so he's done some good as well. Not saying all is (or should be) forgiven, but the character is clearly more complex than he initially seems.

riv6672

riv6672

Mindset
I'm sorry, the whole fast and furious franchise lost its appeal after Tokyo drift. I absolutely hate how they became borderline superhumans and badass ninja spec ops type people. Ruined the entire franchise for me. This isn't a F&F movie.

riv6672
Originally posted by Mindset
This isn't a F&F movie.
Its a spin off, yeah.
Speaking of Fast & Furious 9:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/01/dwayne-johnson-hobbs-and-shaw-fast-and-furious-9/amp

Robtard
Originally posted by Tzeentch
I wonder if they're going to glaze over the fact that Shaw was literally a mass murdering terrorist who killed people in cold blood, including a member of the original cast.

He said "sorry bout dat, m8s!" so it's cool.

TheVaultDweller
New trailer. Warning though, it reveals A LOT, so don't watch if you aren't keen on potential spoilers:

5issshGi6ug

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Robtard
He said "sorry bout dat, m8s!" so it's cool. wish i could put a voice note here. As my Michael Caineesque accent is not far removed from Stathan's.

riv6672

TheVaultDweller
Also, it might just be deceptively cut, but it actually kind of looks like they have Hobbs rip off Cap's helicopter feat from Civil War at 3:25. Which would be hilariously absurd if it is the case.

TheVaultDweller
And just for lols, I decided to watch this again, for a comparison:

1XJDYKXCzNs

What a difference 18 years and more than half a dozen movies make.

HumbleServant
Idris Elba - Im the black superman
The Rock - Im black adam

Putinbot1
Originally posted by HumbleServant
Idris Elba - Im the black superman
The Rock - Im black adam laughing out loud

BruceSkywalker
New trailer. Warning though, it reveals A LOT, so don't watch if you aren't keen on potential spoilers:

5issshGi6ug

watched this on fb.. looks really good.. good hearing idris speak in his natural voice.. he'll become new member at the end lol

TheVaultDweller
Yeah, it looks like a lot of fun, so I will definitely be going to watch it when it hits cinemas. But I am probably going to avoid any more teasers or trailers from here on out. They already showed a bit too much with this one IMO.

HumbleServant
Yeah, it looks like a lot of fun, so I will definitely be going to watch it when it hits cinemas. But I am probably going to avoid any more teasers or trailers from here on out. They already showed a bit too much with this one IMO. I think they needed to to get people to see how good it is.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by HumbleServant
I think they needed to to get people to see how good it is.

The issue is this film is only coming out in August, IIRC. If they've already revealed this much now, they are already running the risk of revealing way too much before the movie drops. Because there will be more trailers, TV spots etc. And they won't want to keep showing the same footage over and over. Which means even more will likely be revealed before the actual release of the film. So, yeah, probably a good idea to try and steer away from any more trailers and such for this one. I mean I have already seen enough to know I am going to watch it, so don't actually need to see more.

Estacado
God this looks phuckin awful....haermm

Putinbot1
It looks so bad it will be great, that truly is the fast and furious franchise.

Kazenji
Looks like they're channeling Commando's over the top action

bring it on.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Putinbot1
It looks so bad it will be great, that truly is the fast and furious franchise.

This, right here. These movies are meant to be completely ridiculous and over the top, and they know exactly what they are. People watch them for the insane, often physics-defying action spectacles they provide. Not because they're expecting an Oscar script. And it's working for them. Both the last two F&F films broke a billion, and I wouldn't be surprised if this does as well.

BruceSkywalker
This, right here. These movies are meant to be completely ridiculous and over the top, and they know exactly what they are. People watch them for the insane, often physics-defying action spectacles they provide. Not because they're expecting an Oscar script. And it's working for them. Both the last two F&F films broke a billion, and I wouldn't be surprised if this does as well.

good post

Kazenji
Originally posted by Estacado
God this looks phuckin awful....haermm

The movies are suppose to be over the top and clearly they're rolling with it, If you want a movie that's trying to get an oscar then go elsewhere.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Kazenji
The movies are suppose to be over the top and clearly they're rolling with it, If you want a movie that's trying to get an oscar then go elsewhere.

Yeah, you could still argue that the first four were somewhat grounded (though they were already pushing believability with some of the stunts even then), but that went out the window in Fast Five, when they were having high speed chases down busy freeways while dragging a multi-ton safe behind them. And, from there, things just snowballed.

HulkIsHulk
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Didnt Vin Dieseld best up the Rock in Fast Five? Now ive seen some unrealistic shit in these movies, but that was just another level of Unrealism.
You now sound just like my old roommate lol. Dom just managed to get his hands on a wrench during van even fight that's all.
And besides, Vin ain't no pansy either. You'd know that if you paid attention to FF7 behind the scenes info

Patient_Leech
It's just a matter of whether or not Statham and Johnson will have enough comedic chemistry (or lack thereof) to be (ironically) entertaining.

Hopefully it's not just lame, mainstream bro comedy, but that's what I gather from the new trailer.

Not that I expect anything else from a F&F spin-off.

riv6672
Originally posted by Kazenji
good post

TheVaultDweller
There is one problem. If this movie is commercially successful (which it most likely will be), it could actually hurt the rest of the F&F franchise. Because Statham and Johnson, and the characters they portray, draw a big chunk of the audience. So, if this works and they spin-off into their own thing, separate from the rest of the F&F crew, it will likely have a negative impact on those other films. I don't think Diesel draws that big of an audience on his own anymore, and none of the others really have that same level of star power either.

BruceSkywalker
There is one problem. If this movie is commercially successful (which it most likely will be), it could actually hurt the rest of the F&F franchise. Because Statham and Johnson, and the characters they portray, draw a big chunk of the audience. So, if this works and they spin-off into their own thing, separate from the rest of the F&F crew, it will likely have a negative impact on those other films. I don't think Diesel draws that big of an audience on his own anymore, and none of the others really have that same level of star power either.

Spin-offs are prolly the way to go because i believe fast and furious 10 is the final one, could be wrong though

NemeBro
There is one problem. If this movie is commercially successful (which it most likely will be), it could actually hurt the rest of the F&F franchise. Because Statham and Johnson, and the characters they portray, draw a big chunk of the audience. So, if this works and they spin-off into their own thing, separate from the rest of the F&F crew, it will likely have a negative impact on those other films. I don't think Diesel draws that big of an audience on his own anymore, and none of the others really have that same level of star power either. Hopefully the movie is commercially successful enough that Hobbs and Shaw can be integrated into the greater MCU as members of the Avengers. thumb up

jaden_2.0
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
watched this on fb.. looks really good.. good hearing idris speak in his natural voice.. he'll become new member at the end lol

First thing I ever seen him in was as Stringer Bell in The Wire and remember being shocked when I found out he wasn't American. It's still his best role to this day. Although he's excellent in Luther as well.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by NemeBro
Hopefully the movie is commercially successful enough that Hobbs and Shaw can be integrated into the greater MCU as members of the Avengers. thumb up

Not going to lie. That would actually be hilarious purely to see Diesel's reaction over the Rock invading yet another franchise he's already a part of.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
First thing I ever seen him in was as Stringer Bell in The Wire and remember being shocked when I found out he wasn't American. It's still his best role to this day. Although he's excellent in Luther as well.

i like him in Luthor .... I remember when he did an episode of Law and Order

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
Spin-offs are prolly the way to go because i believe fast and furious 10 is the final one, could be wrong though

Possibly. But they will probably put more out if they keep making money. I notice though that F&F 9 is slated for 2020 and F&F 10 for 2021. So, they are doing them very close to each other, compared to all the others.

Or maybe they want to become the new Star Wars lol. Give us a movie every year. 2022: Hobbs and Shaw 2: Hobbs and Shaw got to Space.

Kazenji
Yeah...they have said the 10th one is the final one, There'll be a 11th i'm sure of it if it makes alot of cash.

Kazenji
Supposedly Keanu Reeve's has a role in this movie

http://thathashtagshow.com/2019/04/19/exclusive-keanu-reeves-significant-role-fast-furious-hobbs-shaw/

HulkIsHulk
Also, it might just be deceptively cut, but it actually kind of looks like they have Hobbs rip off Cap's helicopter feat from Civil War at 3:25. Which would be hilariously absurd if it is the case.
To me it looked like an upgraded version. Instead of holding off a helicopter from flying away by holding onto a railing like Cap did, it looked to me like Hobbs is hanging onto the helicopter and holding up that truck by the chain

Kazenji
K4ko2xAW-wI

wakkawakkawakka
So I just saw this movie and it was a lot of dumb fun. The movie feels like it something that would have released back in the 90's but ir still works. Idris Elba committing to the dumb lines in the script somehow works.

Far as the actual movie is concerned Hobbs and Shaw are for all intents and purposes superhuman and the movie expect everyone to go along with it...even when the main villian is an actual superhuman. The scenes in the trailer are just as ridiculous when fully fleshed out on screen. Also having the plot device virus being called the Snowflake sounds like a not so subtle social commentary.

The movie is dumb but knows it's dumb which makes it pretty enjoyable IMO.

TheVaultDweller
I watched this a bit earlier. And yeah, it's very dumb, but it knows exactly what it is. And, because of that, it's quite fun.

This movie is A LOT though, so there are a few pacing issues with somewhat jarring jumps between different points in the story, in order to move things along. You get more used to it as it goes along though. And lol, they actually had Hobbs pull that helicopter by the chain for a couple of seconds before re-attaching it to the truck, and even had him emulate the Captain America pose while doing it.

Also, there are a couple of really surprising and entertaining extended cameos.

BrolyBlack

TheVaultDweller

Putinbot1
Brilliantly ridiculous. Hobbs definately has a degree of legit Superstrength.

BruceSkywalker
i liked it. it's fun, silly, stupid, a little over the top but this is a good film.. Statham and the Rock play off each other really well.. Idris was awesome as Black Superman.

loved seeing ryan reynolds and kevin hart

vanessa kirby who i like held her own

Josh_Alexander
Great action. I found the mix of comedy and action to be perfect. The Dwayne and Statham combination is brutal.

Oliver Brown
Hobbs & Shaw is a solid spin-off of the Fast & Furious franchise with familiar faces delivering fine performances in an action-packed, fast-paced, at times generic, summer blockbuster.

Myth
I enjoyed it up until the final act. I tried checking my brain at the door, but had too much brain residue to enjoy the climatic battle.

Hobbs & Locke is the movie that really needed to be made btw.

quanchi112
Never saw it. Probably will not. F&F is just not cool to me.

TheVaultDweller
This apparently had a good Chinese opening weekend. Which isn't really surprising. Jason Statham is very popular there for some reason.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.