Digital Libraries, the future, the now

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Robtard
With digital replacing DVDs more and more, what do you use for your digital film library and how many films do you own?

-I currently use Plex as my media server, I have around 775 films. I also have the entire first season of Cobra Kai, 6 Star Trek Enterprise episodes and 2 Who Is America.

Impediment
At my apex, I had over 1,000 DVDs before I sold them and kept, maybe, 75 of them because they're not on Netflix or Hulu.

Sadly, I don't have a digital drive and I still have my TV show DVDs and other assorted titles.

BruceSkywalker
I may have to look into plex

NemeBro
Putlocker. smile

Flyattractor
I lost count of how many discs I own.

Dr Will Hatch
Last time I counted, I have about 950 movies/series on DVD and Blu-Ray, not including all the VHS(lol) tapes I still own. Not planning on giving up on physical media anytime soon.

Khazra Reborn
Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
Last time I counted, I have about 950 movies/series on DVD and Blu-Ray, not including all the VHS(lol) tapes I still own. Not planning on giving up on physical media anytime soon.

Same, I don't like the idea of not having a physical item, I feel like I have no control over whether or not someone can take it away from me. I'm a weirdo, lol.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
Same, I don't like the idea of not having a physical item, I feel like I have no control over whether or not someone can take it away from me. I'm a weirdo, lol.

Ditto.

Esau Cairn
I like the whole package deal that comes with blu-ray.
Alternate scenes & endings, making of docs, bloopers...

If I really enjoy a movie I wanna know what happens behind the scenes.

juggernaut74
I use VUDU, and have over 300 movies.

Paid for them all.

quanchi112
I pay for all my films too. I detest piracy which hurts the industry. I will look later on my ps4 but I have a shit load of films with Infinity War on the way next week.

Surtur
Not sure how many I have. Latest movie I got was The Death of Superman. Just came out. Gonna watch it sometime today. Been looking forward to it.

Kazenji
Still physical media for me.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by Robtard
With digital replacing DVDs more and more, what do you use for your digital film library and how many films do you own?

-I currently use Plex as my media server, I have around 775 films. I also have the entire first season of Cobra Kai, 6 Star Trek Enterprise episodes and 2 Who Is America.

We changed over and started storing everything on a digital library my brother built a few years ago as well. Everything, from movies and series to anime, music and books are stored on there. Besides the fact that it's clutter-free it's also convenient because we can access it from anywhere in the house from any device.

Think we have about 650+ films just in the live-action film section. We use an old Mede8tor as our main media player.

quanchi112

Flyattractor
Digital is best for being able to check out the product first to see if I want to drop money to buy it. Saved a lot of money that way.

Kazenji
Oh the irony there....

Surtur
For people who prefer a physical copy...prepare yourself for the day when everything is digital.

A physical copy is irrelevant to me. All I need to know is that I have access to the movie.

quanchi112

Darth Thor
I buy everything digital now. Use Amazon mostly. But buy the odd thing on my Sky box if the price is better, or rent if its only available to rent there. Thats one annoying part for me, that not every film is available to rent.

But the bonuses are too great. Can watch anywhere I am, and no more concern of losing films when I move or when someone borrows one.

Robtard
Originally posted by Dreampanther
We changed over and started storing everything on a digital library my brother built a few years ago as well. Everything, from movies and series to anime, music and books are stored on there. Besides the fact that it's clutter-free it's also convenient because we can access it from anywhere in the house from any device.

Think we have about 650+ films just in the live-action film section. We use an old Mede8tor as our main media player.

Nice. I've though of building a mini computer for a similar purpose a few years ago, connecting it directly to the TV, but now it's just easier for me to have my libraries on my desktop computer and stream it to my television. With a "smart" TV, you don't even need an extra go-between device like a Google Cromecast, Amazon Firestick, Roku etc., just download an app (I use Plex) directly to the TV

I was going to also move my music library onto Plex, but I lost it in a botched computer transfer a year or so back, which sucks as all my old DVDs that I've used to create most of it, I got ride of after the physical to digital conversion. I have my friend's library of 250,000K plus songs on a portable HD, but they're not labelled under one format, eg *song name* - *artist*, it's a cluster-phuck and I'd have to rename/format them before I could do that, couldn't handle it not being perfect/organized.

We pay monthly for Amazon's full music library, so music is just a "hey Alexa" shout away, so I doubt I'll ever do it now.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Surtur
For people who prefer a physical copy...prepare yourself for the day when everything is digital.

It's stupid making everything digital access only, Because there's licenses that expire and things can be removed at will by the company

already notice that with Netflix when i see what's coming to it and what's leaving it, Shows & Movies get removed replaced by other ones.

quanchi112

Putinbot1
I have a hacked Kodi box and watch everything. To be honest, you can stream illegally whatever you want now, the libraries are there in the cloud.

Robtard
On an Amazon Firestick?

Putinbot1
On an Amazon Firestick? I use titanium build on a Fire TV box, I also use Dream Stream to watch all my live HD which works out at the cost of 1 month of SKY for the year and I get every Sky channel.

Inhuman
Kodi works but is a slow and a buggy mess now no matter the buid even on my Nvidia Shield. Most the links are trash tier as well since the various take downs of the servers and hosts. There are better options. But I guess it still works for some if you have the patience.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by Impediment
At my apex, I had over 1,000 DVDs before I sold them and kept, maybe, 75 of them because they're not on Netflix or Hulu.

Sadly, I don't have a digital drive and I still have my TV show DVDs and other assorted titles.

I have this closet with arround 1000 - 2000 movies! All classics and stuff. My heart doesn't allow me to sell them much less to throw them. I think i'll make a museum out of it for my grandchildren one day laughing

Khazra Reborn
Originally posted by Putinbot1
I have a hacked Kodi box and watch everything. To be honest, you can stream illegally whatever you want now, the libraries are there in the cloud.

this is why everything is either an over blown summer blockbuster, or some crazy low buget shoe string film. Stop ruining the film industry

Nibedicus
Itunes for me. Got a decent library now. Mostly MCU movies, fantasy and sci fi. Have a 4k TV and an Apple TV 4k so I can stream 4k movies, too.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Nibedicus
Itunes for me. Got a decent library now. Mostly MCU movies, fantasy and sci fi. Have a 4k TV and an Apple TV 4k so I can stream 4k movies, too. Only iTunes film I have is Infinity War due to my purchase of the physical copy. How is your Apple TV? I have a Samsung uHD tv 55 in. Curious about an Apple TV.

Nibedicus
Originally posted by quanchi112
Only iTunes film I have is Infinity War due to my purchase of the physical copy. How is your Apple TV? I have a Samsung uHD tv 55 in. Curious about an Apple TV.

It's pretty decent, tho the remote is wonky/slow/unintuitive (IMO only as ppl might disagree). 4k movies are the shizz tho (tho we can only stream when it is late late late at night where everyone is sleeping as internet in my country is crap), got a 55in uHD tv as well and the difference is noticeable with standard 1080p's and a lot of the newer movies you buy are automatically in 4k.

Still waiting on LoTR in 4k though.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Nibedicus
It's pretty decent, tho the remote is wonky/slow/unintuitive (IMO only as ppl might disagree). 4k movies are the shizz tho (tho we can only stream when it is late late late at night where everyone is sleeping as internet in my country is crap), got a 55in uHD tv as well and the difference is noticeable with standard 1080p's and a lot of the newer movies you buy are automatically in 4k.

Still waiting on LoTR in 4k though. How expensive was it? Spend around 700 for my Samsung.

Nibedicus
How expensive was it? Spend around 700 for my Samsung.

Got mine for a little over 200 USD IIRC.

Robtard
Only iTunes film I have is Infinity War due to my purchase of the physical copy. How is your Apple TV? I have a Samsung uHD tv 55 in. Curious about an Apple TV.

If you already have a "smart" TV, the AppleTV isn't going to do a whole lot for you as you should already be able to install apps like Netflix, Hulu, HBOGo etc.

The one thing an AppleTV would do for you is let you easily mirror whats on your iPad to your television, but again, kinda useless if your TV already has all the apps you view content with. Also, if your television is on the same wifi as your iPad, it should allow you to send the singal anyways from iPad to television. I can do it from my iPhone to TV, not that I have much need these days due to the TV apps.

Nibedicus
If you already have a "smart" TV, the AppleTV isn't going to do a whole lot for you as you should already be able to install apps like Netflix, Hulu, HBOGo etc.

The one thing an AppleTV would do for you is let you easily mirror whats on your iPad to your television, but again, kinda useless if your TV already has all the apps you view content with. Also, if your television is on the same wifi as your iPad, it should allow you to send the singal anyways from iPad to television. I can do it from my iPhone to TV, not that I have much need these days due to the TV apps.

Apple TV gets movies out way faster than Netflix or Hulu, etc (at least on my country).

I also buy the movies I love so I can rewatch them in the comfort of my bed when I want to. Usually with some wine, grapes, jamon and cheese with the missus.

Robtard
Fair enough on being able to access new content faster. Wasn't aware or it's not much of a difference where I live.

We have an AppleTV, also a Roku, Chromecast and Amazon Firestick. They all seem nigh useless now if you have a smart TV that can handle apps.

BackFire
I still buy physical media for movies, particularly 4k Bluray because streaming 4k isn't quite on par just yet, plus if you buy any movie on 4k you get a free digital copy as well. I have something like 80 movies on Vudu.

I just bought Infinity War on 4k last week.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.