Underrated directors

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage

Dreampanther
James McTeigue. I watched V for Vendetta a couple of nights ago, for the first time in ages, and it struck me once again what a brilliant film it is. He's mostly worked as an assistant director for the Wachowskis on their big projects like the Matrix trilogy and Speed Racer, but he also directed Ninja Assassin which I really enjoyed.

He seems to have mostly worked in television the last few years, but I'd like to see him do a hard-core superhero movie again aimed at a mature audience some time in the future, like Lobo or Suicide Squad or Punisher.

Patient_Leech
David Twohy.

Pitch Black, Cronicles of, Riddick, etc. Regardless of what you think about the Riddick films he has created an engrossing universe with savvy direction and lots of rewatchability.

His film Below is great and A Perfect Getaway is a very clever, self-aware little thriller.

He wrote The Fugitive with Harrison Ford and he also had a hand in writing Waterworld. Lol, but I love that movie.

Dr Will Hatch
Gavin Hood.

OK, he made one terrible movie(X-Men Origins: Wolverine), but otherwise? He's really good. He's made at least two movies(Eye In The Sky and Tsotsi) which I consider to be great enough to put him in the category of best directors working today.

roughrider
David Gordon Green. I've been following his career since George Washington back in 2000. He's gone from making dreamy Terrence Malick-like dramas (All The Real Girls, Undertow)to outrageous studio comedies (Pineapple Express, The Sitter) and back to dramas. He's directing the Halloween continuation coming out this fall with Jamie Lee Curtis, Nick Castle and John Carpenter on board. I think the fact he's never directed a horror movie is what's going to make it work and feel fresh.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.