Was Disney right to fire James Gunn?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

steverules_2

Surtur
It was no more or less right than anyone else who has gotten fired for some shit they said on twitter.

One might look to how James Gunn reacted to the Roseanne firing in order to see if this was right.

Robtard
If Roseane got fired for a tweet from years and years ago, had already apologized and hadn't shown the same behavior since apologizing, sure, you'd have a like comparison.

She didn't though, she got fired for a current remark and it's in line with her shit behavior going back decades.

Keep trying though.

BackFire
At first, I thought Disney was probably in the right as I thought they were unaware of the tweets/comments/jokes in question, and what with their family-friendly image, I didn't really blame them for not wanting to be associated with such comments. Still don't, really.

However, as more came out about the situation, including the fact that Gunn had addressed these jokes shortly after he was initially hired, and Disney stood by him at that point, they really had no reason to fire him this time since obviously, they knew about these tweets way back when. Doubly because since being hired by Disney he has not made any similar jokes/comments, and has been very professional and on good behavior.

So I think it was a knee-jerk overreaction by Disney, but one that is somewhat understandable given how seriously they take their public image.

Impediment
James Gunn gets fired for shock humor tweets from a decade ago, but Victor Salva, a convicted child molester and pedophile, gets to make Jeepers Creepers and Powder films.

Nice double standard, Hollywood.

#RehireJamesGunn

Adam Grimes
Originally posted by Surtur
It was no more or less right than anyone else who has gotten fired for some shit they said on twitter.

One might look to how James Gunn reacted to the Roseanne firing in order to see if this was right. Pretty bad attempt.

roughrider
Originally posted by Impediment
James Gunn gets fired for shock humor tweets from a decade ago, but Victor Salva, a convicted child molester and pedophile, gets to make Jeepers Creepers and Powder films.

#RehireJamesGunn

After Powder, he wasn't rehired by Disney. The Jeepers Creepers films were distributed by someone else.

Mindset
Depends on what you mean by right.

Disney is a business; their goal is to make money. If this threatened their ability to make money then they are right.

quanchi112

Josh_Alexander
I just disagree with Gunn's firing. I really loved the work he did with GOTG 1 and 2.

Time will tell if someone will be able to 'fill his shoes'

Khazra Reborn
Disney is a private company, if they feel Gunn damages the image they're trying to portray to the public, and hamper their ability to earn money, then the can fire him if they feel like it. Saying that, I wouldn't do it.

Surtur
Originally posted by Robtard
If Roseane got fired for a tweet from years and years ago, had already apologized and hadn't shown the same behavior since apologizing, sure, you'd have a like comparison.

She didn't though, she got fired for a current remark and it's in line with her shit behavior going back decades.

Keep trying though.

Comparison fits, move on.

Flyattractor

Darth Thor
They were completely wrong.

And it wouldnt have effected their income at all. Vast majority of people only learned about these ancient tweets after he was fired.

Kazenji
And surely Disney or even Kevin Fiege weren't that stupid to not know of Gunn's background before doing the Gotg films.

HulkIsHulk
Why do I have this feeling that they already wanted to get rid of him and used this as an excuse

James T. Kirk
Originally posted by Kazenji
And surely Disney or even Kevin Feige weren't that stupid to not know of Gunn's background before doing the Gotg films. Makes ya wonder why they hired him in the first place.

Darth Thor
^ Because they didnt care about that.

They just made an issue out of it when Rosanne supporters starting campaigning about double standards.

steverules_2
Phucking Rosanne

quanchi112

janus77
I know *why* the Right did it, but they're playing into the Leftist game.

They're flinging shit with monkeys. There's no way they can win that, the monkeys are used to flinging shit and they don't mind a little backsplatter.

Also, those people genuinely upset over Gunn's jokes and shtick ... What do you guys think about Bill Hicks and his goatboy routine? Would you hang him too?

iOdTYq8o3ow

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Impediment

#RehireJamesGunn

thumb up

Flyattractor
Gunn is just a Pedo in the Shadows. Disney was right to Fire his diseased butt.

Good Riddance.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by steverules_2
Phucking Rosanne Foul racist, right-wing pile of corpulence that she is.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by HulkIsHulk
Why do I have this feeling that they already wanted to get rid of him and used this as an excuse

I think so too, the excuse was bullshit TBH!

Josh_Alexander

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by Josh_Alexander
Quanchi, as the OP of these thread you should show the example and not make a garbage of the thread!

PLEASEEEE!!!!!

edit: this

Josh_Alexander
Quanchi, as the OP of these thread you should show the example and not make a garbage of the thread!

PLEASEEEE!!!!!

OMG. I thought you made this thread. My bad, never mind. Is just that I saw your name on the poll; hilarious.

quanchi112

PLEASEEEE!!!!! You are a moron.

steverules_2
Wtf is Josh on?

quanchi112
Wtf is Josh on? Stupidity.

Flyattractor
Better then what Gunn was on... which was Small Children.

Sad to see Leftists turn a blind eye to pedos, but not unexpected.

Kazenji
Yeah lets just ignore the context.

Flyattractor
The Context of Raping Children?

Nah.

Kazenji
The dimwit that you are, Of course you couldn't work it out.

Flyattractor
More like you are willing to Ignore such things like this Hollywood Pedo running amok because you enjoy his movies.

You are as much a monster as Gunn.

I can see that Very Plainly.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Flyattractor
The Context of Raping Children?

Nah.

Whoa... Are you serious or joking?

Thats a helluva accusation if you are serious.

Surtur
Originally posted by janus77
I know *why* the Right did it, but they're playing into the Leftist game.

They're flinging shit with monkeys. There's no way they can win that, the monkeys are used to flinging shit and they don't mind a little backsplatter.

Also, those people genuinely upset over Gunn's jokes and shtick ... What do you guys think about Bill Hicks and his goatboy routine? Would you hang him too?

I know why they did it and I also agree they are playing the lefts game. And people can say "this isn't the left vs the right". It's not about Disney, I'm not attributing it to any company. This is about the culture war. This is about one side getting sick of a tactic being used and deciding they are gonna use it as well.

And if someone is GENUINELY offended by Gunn's tweets of course they'd probably be offended by Bill Hicks. Would they wanna "hang" him? Well yeah if Disney decided to work with the guy, probably?

Darth Thor
^ Disney are currently working with Josh Brolin who assaulted his wife 10-15 years back.

So where does the line get drawn?

Surtur
Originally posted by Darth Thor
^ Disney are currently working with Josh Brolin who assaulted his wife 10-15 years back.

Well for now the line seems to be a boatload of pedo edgelord comments, lol.

Who knew?

quanchi112

Josh_Alexander
Wtf is Josh on?

I saw Quan as an option on the poll, and I thought he created this thread. My bad!

laughing out loud

quanchi112
I saw Quan as an option on the poll, and I thought he created this thread. My bad!

laughing out loud Stupidity it is.

Josh_Alexander
Originally posted by quanchi112
Stupidity it is.

I know right!? Putting your name in a poll that has nothing to do with you. Am still trying to figure out what is that supposed to mean laughing out loud

StiltmanFTW

Adam Grimes
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
I doubt he even is a real person, tbh. He wishes.

steverules_2

Josh_Alexander

quanchi112
I know right!? Putting your name in a poll that has nothing to do with you. Am still trying to figure out what is that supposed to mean laughing out loud It is an obvious joke that sent your brain into a meltdown.

Kazenji

Well Disney can't talk with all the skeleton's in their closet.

Adam Grimes
Originally posted by Mindset
Depends on what you mean by right.

Disney is a business; their goal is to make money. If this threatened their ability to make money then they are right. This sums it up tbh.

Flyattractor

Flyattractor
Whoa... Are you serious or joking?

Thats a helluva accusation if you are serious.

Hollywood has tired to cover up worse. It wouldn't surprise me if true.

Josh_Alexander
It is an obvious joke that sent your brain into a meltdown.

I never said I didn't recognize you being a joke, I said i didn't understand how you being a joke was related to the poll laughing out loud wink

Esau Cairn
I never said I didn't recognize you being a joke, I said i didn't understand how you being a joke was related to the poll laughing out loud wink

Quan & a little boy are walking in the woods late one night.

The little boy says, "I'm scared."

Quan replies, "You're scared? I have to walk back alone!"

quanchi112

quanchi112
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Quan & a little boy are walking in the woods late one night.

The little boy says, "I'm scared."

Quan replies, "You're scared? I have to walk back alone!" Says the real life cuck who was used by a younger woman, lol.

quanchi112
I never said I didn't recognize you being a joke, I said i didn't understand how you being a joke was related to the poll laughing out loud wink You being stupid is well known.

Silent Master
I disagree with him being fired, but people have been getting fired for shit they say on TV/radio or post online for years now. why are people only now getting upset.

cdtm
Originally posted by Silent Master
I disagree with him being fired, but people have been getting fired for shit they say on TV/radio or post online for years now. why are people only now getting upset.

I mostly agree, but this doesn't sound like a typical "not filtering himself as a representative" moment.

If Disney did a proper background check, they'd have known he was a provocateur before they hired him. I mean, this is akin to hiring Matt Parker or Trey Stone, setting up a film, and suddenly discovering: "Hey, did you hear about this South Park thing? We've gotta get rid of these guys!"

Darth Thor
^ Plus its the double standards. Why fire Gunn who joked about stuff when they keep around actual convicted criminals like RDJ? (Not that they should fire RDJ, again given it is all in the past now).

Surtur
^ Plus its the double standards. Why fire Gunn who joked about stuff when they keep around actual convicted criminals like RDJ? (Not that they should fire RDJ, again given it is all in the past now).

The only theory I can offer is that even though the Guardians movies were not aimed at children Disney see's itself as a family friendly company as a whole. And Gunn's stuff specifically had to do with shit about little kids.

Darth Thor
^ Damn you should be their PR guy.

Kazenji
Seems James Gunn has gone to Sony to make movies, Has a horror Movie due out in November.

Darth Thor
Lol Sony should give him the next Spider-Man. That way hes back in the MCU. Doubt Feige would complain.

Bentley

If the convicting criminal paid his debt to society I don't see why that should be any problem in any kind of job.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Bentley
If the convicting criminal paid his debt to society I don't see why that should be any problem in any kind of job.

Unfortunately theres no paying debts to society for bad jokes.

You are apparently punished 10 years on.

Surtur
He was just kidding around.

Flyattractor

quanchi112
You are right about the first point. I do not "Love" these Marvel Characters. I support goes to other more interesting and fun Marvel Characters. You like lobo so your opinion is suspect.

Flyattractor
You like lobo so your opinion is suspect.

Lobo is a Fun Character that don't go full SJW EMO-tard like certain puruple prune chinned some one I could mention.

eek!

quanchi112
Lobo is a Fun Character that don't go full SJW EMO-tard like certain puruple prune chinned some one I could mention.

eek! Nah, he is a loser. Thanos is the MCU alpha lobo is some lonely loser who has bad habits.

Flyattractor
Nah, he is a loser. Thanos is the MCU alpha lobo is some lonely loser who has bad habits.

When I see Lobo Cry on Movie Screen... I might admit to that.

Surtur
Thanos is so much of an alpha he only won cuz Thor is half retard.

quanchi112
When I see Lobo Cry on Movie Screen... I might admit to that. Lobo might be 2d to cry. Poor terrible and superficial character that he is. Poor lobo fans.

quanchi112

Surtur

Darth Thor
To be fair, you would think impaling Thanos through the chest would kill him.

Plus I got the impression Thor wanted to say some words to him while he was dying.

Surtur
To be fair, you would think impaling Thanos through the chest would kill him.

Plus I got the impression Thor wanted to say some words to him while he was dying.

I would counter that with Thanos as the most powerful being in the universe with countless trillions of lives at stake...better just to put him down right away than make it so Thor can make some witty comment as he kills him.

quanchi112

Silent Master
Thanos being that dangerous would be why Thor aimed for center mass, because it's the biggest target and thus has the best chance of landing.

It was the smart move.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Surtur
I would counter that with Thanos as the most powerful being in the universe with countless trillions of lives at stake...better just to put him down right away than make it so Thor can make some witty comment as he kills him.

Dont think it was to be witty - I told you youd die for that! -

Think it was rage/vengeance. Thanos really got to him.

StiltmanFTW
Only Fly voted "They were right" in the poll.

quanchi112
Dont think it was to be witty - I told you youd die for that! -

Think it was rage/vengeance. Thanos really got to him. Thanos killed his best friend and stepbrother. Thor watched helplessly as he killed Loki slowly. Asgardians are a roadbump Thanos trampled over. Killed dwarves, forced Eitri to forge Thanos a weapon then took off a few hands, etc. Thanos is the big bad of the MCU.

Darth Thor
^ And Thor the Ultimate hero to defeat him.

The only one who can.

Flyattractor
Nah. That will be Captain Carl Manvers.

quanchi112

The only one who can. Absurd. Thor is not the only one capable of opposing Thanos he was the only one with a weapon capable of killing him in such fashion yet he failed. Thanos is not taking on the heroes one on one so they will all be needed to take him on. This is an Avengers film not a Thor film you delusional fanboy. Thor he his chance and failed. If you are going to ignore stark, hulk, captain marvel and the rest of the heroes you are just obtuse.

Flyattractor
The SJW Phase is Coming!

Darth Thor
Absurd. Thor is not the only one capable of opposing Thanos he was the only one with a weapon capable of killing him in such fashion yet he failed. Thanos is not taking on the heroes one on one so they will all be needed to take him on. This is an Avengers film not a Thor film you delusional fanboy. Thor he his chance and failed. If you are going to ignore stark, hulk, captain marvel and the rest of the heroes you are just obtuse.

Of course he is. Everyone who saw the film knows that. It was made clear.

Thanos completely pussified Hulk. Strange had to give up the Time Stone to him and plead for Tonys life.

Captain Marvel hasnt even entered the films yet lol. We know she will be the most powerful.

But as of IW it was Thor hands down. He was he main hero. Russos confirm it.

Stormbreaker was built for him and is part and parcel of his powers. Would you argue comic book Beta Rey Bill is only capable with Storm Breaker Lol. Its part of his power set. Stop crying about the best scene in the movie.

quanchi112

quanchi112

Robtard

Mindset
Can you imagine how crazy it would be if they had Dr. Doom come out of nowhere and kill Thanos?

I'm cumming.

Robtard
After the Avengers fail a second time due to Thanos' god-level powers and all hope seems lost, Dr. Doom appears and casually walks over to Thanos, smugly looks him up and down and then effortlesly punch-rips Thanos' heart out of his chest; declaring "There can only be one!"

Mindset
thumb up A+ writing

quanchi112
Can you imagine how crazy it would be if they had Dr. Doom come out of nowhere and kill Thanos?

I'm cumming. Fan fic. Doom could not even hold Thanos purple nuts in his metal hands. It will take all of the avengers to stand before Thanos. Captain Marvel is going to be pretty powerful to boot and expect the Hulk to come back strong. Thor has his moment and Thanos prevailed.

Surtur

The only one who can.

Actually the ultimate hero is stormbreaker.

All hail stormbreaker!

StiltmanFTW
Yeah, Thor is nothing without the Stormbreaker.

Mindset
Fan fic. Doom could not even hold Thanos purple nuts in his metal hands. It will take all of the avengers to stand before Thanos. Captain Marvel is going to be pretty powerful to boot and expect the Hulk to come back strong. Thor has his moment and Thanos prevailed. Doom will stand over Thanos's broken body and mercifully end his pain with a backhand that erases him from existence.

carthage

DarthPlaguis12
Fired over some BS tweets a decade old, Bautista is right

quanchi112

quanchi112

StiltmanFTW
If not Doom, then who?

quanchi112
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
If not Doom, then who? Galactus.

Mindset

quanchi112
We're probably gonna find out Thanos has been working for a Doombot. Doom needs Thanos to pull him out of the Fox u. Sorry for doom but he killed the entire fox u with the snap.

NemeBro

quanchi112
Doom had an amp fell apart at the end of the story as he always does. Thanos solod the marvel u without any power ups. Thanos is the big bad. Always has been.

Flyattractor
So How Do You NOT COUNT the Inf Stones as a "Power Up"?

Kazenji
Lol...at Doom being called a Loki level threat.

Darth Thor
Doom had an amp fell apart at the end of the story as he always does. Thanos solod the marvel u without any power ups. Thanos is the big bad. Always has been.

Thanos had a massive amp throughout IW. And you wanna use that amp in debates.

You arguments are Josh level hilarious.

KCJ506
"Okay, as soon as I sign this paper, you're hired. Before I sign it, I need you to go home, look at every single social media account you have, and read everything you have ever said on them. EVERYTHING. Twitter, Facebook, forums, ****ing Amazon reviews. No exceptions. I don't care if it takes you a week. If anything about any particular post looks even vaguely controversial, you delete the damn thing. Make it completely inaccessible to the public. Get the admin to delete it if you can't. Close your entire account, if you have to. When you have thoroughly scourged your entire online history, then come back, and I will sign this paper. Got it?"

Why the hell have corporations not instituted this procedure for any and all of their high visibility employees? They've had plenty of time to adapt.

Surtur
Originally posted by DarthPlaguis12
Fired over some BS tweets a decade old, Bautista is right

The reality is the bullshit of firing people over shit they say needs to stop. Whether it was said 2 seconds ago or 20 years ago.

If someone doesn't like some shit a person said then just don't watch the show. But this seems like something most adults just are not capable of doing. They gotta whine and boycott, sign petitions, etc.

Back in the day if you didn't like a show you just didn't watch it. And if you liked a show but were so childlike you can't separate the real person from the character they played...you just stopped watching lol.

quanchi112
Thanos had a massive amp throughout IW. And you wanna use that amp in debates.

You arguments are Josh level hilarious. Thanos already proved his formidability in spanking the hulk and casually dismissing Thor. I have confirmation from the directors how formidable Thanos is. It is his determination that makes him stand above the rest. Doom is and has always been Reed Richards *****. The same occurred in secret wars 2.

Thanos the cinematic version is tied to the stones whereas Doom is not tied into his upgrade in secret wars 2 throughout his history in comics. We have a limited amount of screen time and Thanos as I said still proved himself in the film without the stones which do not amp his reflexes or skill in battle.

Unlike you I rely on the facts not just your paltry limited perceptions.

quanchi112
So How Do You NOT COUNT the Inf Stones as a "Power Up"? Thanos already proved himself without them verified by the directors and screenwriter on his skill level and resolve.

smile

quanchi112
Lol...at Doom being called a Loki level threat. Well I bet doom is not the next mega level threat. You are free to believe otherwise but he will end up being a Loki type threat maybe a movie or so and in the background but nowhere near Thanos level.

Flyattractor
Thanos already proved himself without them verified by the directors and screenwriter on his skill level and resolve.

smile

Too Bad we didn't get to see any of that on screen.

10 years of him brooding and sitting on a chair... Not really all that impressive.

BackFire
I believe the directors confirmed that when he beat the hulk at the beginning that was without the use of any of the stones.

Flyattractor
Didn't say it in the movie. Saying after to cover up their poor writing is not a good thing. Like how one of the big points of Thor/Rag was that He don't need a Hammer to be the GOD of THUNDER, and what is the first thing Thor does in Avg:Inf. Thor is full on I NEEDS MUH HAMMNERZ!!!!!!!!

Don' get me wrong. The Movie is fun and good but it Aint Great!!!!

BackFire
It's made relatively clear in the movie as there is nothing happening to suggest that any stones are being used when he's fighting Hulk.

As far as Thor needing his weapon to defeat Thanos, think that was just on account of Thanos being so much more powerful than anything he's fought before. But I dunno, might just go to the fact that both movies were probably in production at around the same time and being made by different groups of people, so there might just be some inconsistencies.

Flyattractor
Blah Blak Blah Poor Writing. Making Excuses for it is Not an Excuse for it.

That and it is just making the Hulk a Phussy.

Insane Titan
Originally posted by BackFire
I believe the directors confirmed that when he beat the hulk at the beginning that was without the use of any of the stones. Yeah they did confirm it. The also said it's made clear in the movie that Thanos didn't use any stones by the fact none of the stones glow or the gauntlet doesn't make the power up noise it made when used.

Tbh though you have to be a complete moron not to understand this after seeing the movie

steverules_2
Makes Hulk look pretty weak

Darth Thor
Hulk is not even in the top 3 most powerful Avengers anymore. Wont even be top 5 after Captain Marvel.

Pretty sad. I would prefer he be no.2 to Thor, but looks like Feige, Whedon and the Russos are not willing to place him there.

steverules_2

Rage.Of.Olympus
Lol...at Doom being called a Loki level threat.

Yea, he's almost a Loki level threat.

Loki really got the shaft in the MCU villain-wise. I hope he's not dead and ends up playing both sides somehow.

NemeBro
Yeah, it is ironic and even a little telling that one of the MCU's best villains is honestly kind of a letdown relative to his stronger portrayals in the comics.

Darth Thor
Yes please do not be dead Loki. And come back with more magic including teleporting abilities. And be a bit more evil again.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Yes. I want evil Loki. F*ck that chaotic neutral bullshit. Let him skin Steve Rogers alive.

StiltmanFTW
"No resurrections this time" wink

playa1258
Hulk is not even in the top 3 most powerful Avengers anymore. Wont even be top 5 after Captain Marvel.

Pretty sad. I would prefer he be no.2 to Thor, but looks like Feige, Whedon and the Russos are not willing to place him there. Quan is going to bandwagon Captain Marvel hard just to try and spite Thor fans.

Mindset
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Yea, he's almost a Loki level threat.

Loki really got the shaft in the MCU villain-wise. I hope he's not dead and ends up playing both sides somehow. Loki less than nothing in comparison to Doom.

Should have been killed off screen; he got more than he deserved.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.